Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 05:57 It is currently 04 May 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [89]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51474 [13]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [5]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras [#permalink]
Kudos
suchoudh wrote:
Really? Can someone post the explanation please.

Let me try

" event started in past but still continues in present " so , the usage of perfect tense is ideal.

whenever in doubt in terms of usage of tense in sentence , just observe and follow what is the tense usage in the non underlined part of the sentence .. trust me it reallly helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras [#permalink]
Kudos
Context is key here. The latter part of the sentence sells us that the major orchestras are already experiencing or have already been experiencing the effects of decreases in government funding. So, we can eliminate A, B, and E.

C or E seem to be decent. Let's read the sentences with them:

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras have felt the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras are feeling the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

This could be tricky. You could be tempted into trying to match "are feeling" to "dwindling", while clearly "have felt" is the correct answer because it references the past several years.

Answer = C
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32227 [1]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras would feel the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

A. would feel

B. will feel

C. have felt

D. feel

E. are feeling

ans C.... it talks of a period which is ongoing... have felt is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [2]
Given Kudos: 475
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi,
A. would feel. Would is used to report events that have already passed.
B. will feel. We cannot use 'will' as it is not a future event. Its happening for past several years as per the original sentence.
C. Have felt. Present perfect correctly used to signify the pressure that the orchestra are feeling over the past several years.
D. Feel. Simple present cannot be used as its not a regular activity.
E. are feeling. Since it been going on for several years, we need to use present perfect.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
The sentence makes clear that the timeframe in question is "the past several
years." Since the action began in the past but continues to the present, the
appropriate tense is the present perfect (for example, "have walked", "have eaten",
etc.)

(A) This choice incorrectly uses the conditional tense "would feel," which is
inappropriate here to indicate an actual occurrence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the future tense "will feel," which is inconsistent with
the past and present nature of the event.

(C) CORRECT. The present perfect "have felt" correctly indicates that that the
orchestras began to feel the pressure in the past and continue to feel the pressure in
the present.

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense "feel," which does not
indicate that the action began in the past and continues to the present.

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the present tense "are feeling," which does not
address the past nature of the sentence.

Hi Souvik, the explanantion is well taken, however consider a similar statement (self made):
With the inaction of the governments over past several years, the citizens are bearing the brunt of global warming.
Question: Is"are bearing" i.e. presently suffering wrong here?
I an kind of unable to understand, y is E wrong (although i undstand y C is right)..i mean the pressure is still being felt...so people are feeling...

Hope to get an answer soon, I am not too much of a grammar person, try to identify error based on logic.

Thanx
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5431 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saurabhsavant wrote:
Hi Souvik, the explanantion is well taken, however consider a similar statement (self made):
With the inaction of the governments over past several years, the citizens are bearing the brunt of global warming.
Question: Is"are bearing" i.e. presently suffering wrong here?
I an kind of unable to understand, y is E wrong (although i undstand y C is right)..i mean the pressure is still being felt...so people are feeling...

Hope to get an answer soon, I am not too much of a grammar person, try to identify error based on logic.

Thanx

Hi saurabhsavant ,

Here is the flaw. "Are bearing" means action started now and is in continuous form.

Other examples: I am eating. We are playing. The girls are dancing. Did you see the difference?

"have beared" means it started in the past and have its effect at present as well.

As per the meaning of the sentence, we are told that it started for the past couple of years. Hence, we need to make sure that it started in the past.

Hence, using "are bearing" is completely wrong here.

Let me know in case of any concern.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Kudos
With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras would feel the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

pay attention to "over the past several years"

(A) would feel
conditional would is wrong
(B) will feel
use of future tense with "over the past several years" is wrong
(C) have felt
Correct
(D) feel
use of present tense with "over the past several years" is wrong
(E) are feeling
use of present tense with "over the past several years" is wrong
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM

(A) would feel - Would is used to show possibility or future tense w.r.t. an event of the past
(B) will feel - We don't need future tense
(C) have felt - Correct.
(D) feel - We don't need present tense
(E) are feeling - We don't need present continuous
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
samark wrote:

(A) would feel
(B) will feel
(C) have felt
(D) feel
(E) are feeling

Official Solution (Credit: Manhattan Prep)

The sentence makes clear that the timeframe in question is "the past several years." Since the action began in the past but continues to the present, the appropriate tense is the present perfect (for example, "have walked", "have eaten", etc.)

(A) This choice incorrectly uses the conditional tense "would feel," which is inappropriate here to indicate an actual occurrence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the future tense "will feel," which is inconsistent with the past and present nature of the event.

(C) CORRECT. The present perfect "have felt" correctly indicates that that the orchestras began to feel the pressure in the past and continue to feel the pressure in the present.

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense "feel," which does not indicate that the action began in the past and continues to the present.

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the present tense "are feeling," which does not address the past nature of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
"Over past several Years " - an action that start in past and still continues.
Only option C has both past and present tenses , hence answer option C.

One of the key strategies for sentence correction is to read the argument completely , sometimes in a rush one just ends ups reading a couple of words before and after the underlined sentence and may miss the essence of the argument , this is a classic example of this point. Even though sometimes question stem is long - ensure to give it a complete read.

Kudos if you agree / comment if you dont.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts