GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2010, 20:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (00:50) correct 43% (00:49) wrong based on 1337 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras would feel the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

(A) would feel
(B) will feel
(C) have felt
(D) feel
(E) are feeling

Spread some happiness..Press Kudos! :)

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 20:16
The sentence makes clear that the timeframe in question is "the past several
years." Since the action began in the past but continues to the present, the
appropriate tense is the present perfect (for example, "have walked", "have eaten",
etc.)

(A) This choice incorrectly uses the conditional tense "would feel," which is
inappropriate here to indicate an actual occurrence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the future tense "will feel," which is inconsistent with
the past and present nature of the event.

(C) CORRECT. The present perfect "have felt" correctly indicates that that the
orchestras began to feel the pressure in the past and continue to feel the pressure in
the present.

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense "feel," which does not
indicate that the action began in the past and continues to the present.

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the present tense "are feeling," which does not
address the past nature of the sentence.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Re: With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2010, 21:20
The key is 'over the past several years.' We are referring to an event over the past years. Only option C satisfies this requirement as it is in the past tense.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

General Discussion
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2010, 22:21
suchoudh wrote:
Really? Can someone post the explanation please.

Let me try

" event started in past but still continues in present " so , the usage of perfect tense is ideal.

whenever in doubt in terms of usage of tense in sentence , just observe and follow what is the tense usage in the non underlined part of the sentence .. trust me it reallly helps

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 13:15
Context is key here. The latter part of the sentence sells us that the major orchestras are already experiencing or have already been experiencing the effects of decreases in government funding. So, we can eliminate A, B, and E.

C or E seem to be decent. Let's read the sentences with them:

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras have felt the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras are feeling the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

This could be tricky. You could be tempted into trying to match "are feeling" to "dwindling", while clearly "have felt" is the correct answer because it references the past several years.

Answer = C
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 08:15
souvik101990 wrote:
With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras would feel the pressure of trying to meet their payroll and travel costs over the past several years.

A. would feel

B. will feel

C. have felt

D. feel

E. are feeling

ans C.... it talks of a period which is ongoing... have felt is correct

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 10:12
Hi,
A. would feel. Would is used to report events that have already passed.
B. will feel. We cannot use 'will' as it is not a future event. Its happening for past several years as per the original sentence.
C. Have felt. Present perfect correctly used to signify the pressure that the orchestra are feeling over the past several years.
D. Feel. Simple present cannot be used as its not a regular activity.
E. are feeling. Since it been going on for several years, we need to use present perfect.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: HEC Montreal '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 06:37
souvik101990 wrote:
The sentence makes clear that the timeframe in question is "the past several
years." Since the action began in the past but continues to the present, the
appropriate tense is the present perfect (for example, "have walked", "have eaten",
etc.)

(A) This choice incorrectly uses the conditional tense "would feel," which is
inappropriate here to indicate an actual occurrence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the future tense "will feel," which is inconsistent with
the past and present nature of the event.

(C) CORRECT. The present perfect "have felt" correctly indicates that that the
orchestras began to feel the pressure in the past and continue to feel the pressure in
the present.

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense "feel," which does not
indicate that the action began in the past and continues to the present.

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the present tense "are feeling," which does not
address the past nature of the sentence.

Hi Souvik, the explanantion is well taken, however consider a similar statement (self made):
With the inaction of the governments over past several years, the citizens are bearing the brunt of global warming.
Question: Is"are bearing" i.e. presently suffering wrong here?
I an kind of unable to understand, y is E wrong (although i undstand y C is right)..i mean the pressure is still being felt...so people are feeling...

Hope to get an answer soon, I am not too much of a grammar person, try to identify error based on logic.

Thanx
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 07:11
saurabhsavant wrote:
Hi Souvik, the explanantion is well taken, however consider a similar statement (self made):
With the inaction of the governments over past several years, the citizens are bearing the brunt of global warming.
Question: Is"are bearing" i.e. presently suffering wrong here?
I an kind of unable to understand, y is E wrong (although i undstand y C is right)..i mean the pressure is still being felt...so people are feeling...

Hope to get an answer soon, I am not too much of a grammar person, try to identify error based on logic.

Thanx

Hi saurabhsavant ,

Here is the flaw. "Are bearing" means action started now and is in continuous form.

Other examples: I am eating. We are playing. The girls are dancing. Did you see the difference?

"have beared" means it started in the past and have its effect at present as well.

As per the meaning of the sentence, we are told that it started for the past couple of years. Hence, we need to make sure that it started in the past.

Hence, using "are bearing" is completely wrong here.

Let me know in case of any concern.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 01:02

pay attention to "over the past several years"

(A) would feel
conditional would is wrong
(B) will feel
use of future tense with "over the past several years" is wrong
(C) have felt
Correct
(D) feel
use of present tense with "over the past several years" is wrong
(E) are feeling
use of present tense with "over the past several years" is wrong
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 01:48

(A) would feel - Would is used to show possibility or future tense w.r.t. an event of the past
(B) will feel - We don't need future tense
(C) have felt - Correct.
(D) feel - We don't need present tense
(E) are feeling - We don't need present continuous

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 16:00
samark wrote:

(A) would feel
(B) will feel
(C) have felt
(D) feel
(E) are feeling

Official Solution (Credit: Manhattan Prep)

The sentence makes clear that the timeframe in question is "the past several years." Since the action began in the past but continues to the present, the appropriate tense is the present perfect (for example, "have walked", "have eaten", etc.)

(A) This choice incorrectly uses the conditional tense "would feel," which is inappropriate here to indicate an actual occurrence.

(B) This choice incorrectly uses the future tense "will feel," which is inconsistent with the past and present nature of the event.

(C) CORRECT. The present perfect "have felt" correctly indicates that that the orchestras began to feel the pressure in the past and continue to feel the pressure in the present.

(D) This choice incorrectly uses the simple present tense "feel," which does not indicate that the action began in the past and continues to the present.

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the present tense "are feeling," which does not address the past nature of the sentence.

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Other (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 20:19
"Over past several Years " - an action that start in past and still continues.
Only option C has both past and present tenses , hence answer option C.

One of the key strategies for sentence correction is to read the argument completely , sometimes in a rush one just ends ups reading a couple of words before and after the underlined sentence and may miss the essence of the argument , this is a classic example of this point. Even though sometimes question stem is long - ensure to give it a complete read.

Kudos if you agree / comment if you dont.

Kudos if you agree , Comment if you don't !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 20:19

With government funding for the arts dwindling, even major orchestras

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap