Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 12:22 It is currently 07 May 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
first time found this forum and this post, really helpful content, thanks for sharing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT Date: 09-11-2015
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Hi,
I am a complete newbie so I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this question. I took my first practice gmat today with absolutely no practice and about 3 years without any math classes (I refrained from even reviewing basic math rules/formulas before to get a more accurate starting point) and only got a 560 (q33,v35,IR4). To me that seems relatively equally spread, so should I focus on both sections equally while building my study plan? Also, would a 700+ be attainable? I have about 4 months, my exam is scheduled for september 11th.
Any advice would be welcome :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 348 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Great post!!! I think MG guide book series are brilliant for starters and for ones who want to review the concepts!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bingo123 wrote:
Hello,

I understand there is no negative marking in GMAT. Kindly help to know which strategy is best when u don't know the answer:

* Leave the question unattended
* Make a guess

Waiting for response.

I am not through with the actual GMAT test but i have read alot of threads on this forum, i would suggest you to make a guess after eliminating options based of provided data in the problem.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
I started my GMAT prep about a month back. Am not giving any practice tests but studying all the sections so that am familiar with all the areas and it will also help me brush up my basics. Am planning to give practice tests regularly after I complete my studying.

Would this be a good idea?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
andyblaz wrote:
I started my GMAT prep about a month back. Am not giving any practice tests but studying all the sections so that am familiar with all the areas and it will also help me brush up my basics. Am planning to give practice tests regularly after I complete my studying.

Untill you give any mock test, you will not get to know your weak area so i would suggest you to give mocks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13450 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
andyblaz wrote:

Hi andyplaz,

It's absolutely a good idea to NOT to take tests until you are ready to take the CAT with your full efficiency because the good CATs are limited and we never prefer to waste them just for practising when we are not even completely ready to take the tests.

However, NOT taking Full length tests at all is certainly a bad idea hence you must take Full length tests (atleast 10) after you have gained command over all the necessary concepts and fundamentals of GMAT test sections and topics so that you are aware about all the factors like fatigue, Concentration and problem areas before you take the actual GMAT test.

Also Taking tests takes you no where to improvements without proper test analysis. Hence the best way to utilize the tests is to DEEPLY ANALYSE the mistakes and Improvement areas that the Test performance represent.

Don't take the test scores on the face value as many test series don't represent the real projected test score. Your score of GMAT PREP can only be considered reliable.

Prosper!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much for the useful post
Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing.
I am preparing for GMAT and given it exam one time but not successful.
Thanks for sharing your study plan.
I will prepare according to this.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Am 10 days away from my test and the last test score on Kaplan Premier free CAT is 650. I want a 740. Not sure, how I can scale up to meet that expectation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great.. Thanks to share it. Its very helpful GMAT prep details.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73102 [1]
Given Kudos: 18935
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
premdayalprem wrote:
Give some tips how to start

The best way to start is...... to start.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Amazing post!My quantitative section is pretty strong as compared to my verbal section.So I think I should start with that.I am using the official guide 2016 and MGMAT to prepare.I am planning to keep a error log too.Would you suggest anything else? Also one more thing how do I prepare for AWA? I find it to be the toughest. Should I start writing essays directly or do something else? Please help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Send PM
Kudos