Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Warwick Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for pointing it out the importance of Error log. I have also realized, its very importance after reviewing so many posts and going through GMAT diagnostics test. As my score was very bad so I am going to improve all areas - my plan is to work on the foundations first. At the moment, I have started my preparation for SC section and already started to maintain error log. After going through all section, I would maintain the error log and will definitely get back to you!

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
optmistic2016 wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for pointing it out the importance of Error log. I have also realized, its very importance after reviewing so many posts and going through GMAT diagnostics test. As my score was very bad so I am going to improve all areas - my plan is to work on the foundations first. At the moment, I have started my preparation for SC section and already started to maintain error log. After going through all section, I would maintain the error log and will definitely get back to you!

Thanks!

You are more than welcome! The ErrorLog is your best friend. And this are not just words - I've seen miracles happening just by tracing our activity (in general, and for GMAT in special). Good luck and have fun along the way.

Adrian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for almost a month now and feel like I need more structure to my studies. I purchased all 10 Manhattan Prep books and am working my way through the Quant books, but I feel like I don't know the material cold (I noticed because when I try their problem sets/quizzes, I find myself missing maybe 1-2 easy questions and not fully knowing how to apply concepts I just read about).

I work 8-6 and study around 2-3 hours a night and more on the weekends, but I feel like I'm not really improving, which is frustrating because I'm not sure how I can hone my percentage problem skills, etc. since I've also read that it's not wise to just do problems in the OG without having a solid foundation first.

So basically, does anyone have any recommendations for how I can strengthen my quant foundation? I've gone through and reworked the problems in Manhattan Prep, started an error log, and typed out in my own words why it was this answer and not the one I chose. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kh1405 wrote:
Hi,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for almost a month now and feel like I need more structure to my studies. I purchased all 10 Manhattan Prep books and am working my way through the Quant books, but I feel like I don't know the material cold (I noticed because when I try their problem sets/quizzes, I find myself missing maybe 1-2 easy questions and not fully knowing how to apply concepts I just read about).

I work 8-6 and study around 2-3 hours a night and more on the weekends, but I feel like I'm not really improving, which is frustrating because I'm not sure how I can hone my percentage problem skills, etc. since I've also read that it's not wise to just do problems in the OG without having a solid foundation first.

So basically, does anyone have any recommendations for how I can strengthen my quant foundation? I've gone through and reworked the problems in Manhattan Prep, started an error log, and typed out in my own words why it was this answer and not the one I chose. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hi,

You are doing the correct thing for the first month. Just build knowledge, pay attention to your weak areas (using your error log) and revisit the theory for that areas. Simply putted: what are the three areas where you commit the most mistakes? Just focus on those (revisit theory, revisit methods to solve the problems). If you find yourself struggling with numbers and doing the math, than you can look for exercises that helps you with this. I've wrote an small article about this : https://mbacoach.co.uk/Articles.html#msg-box3-18

Cheers,
Adrian
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi, does anyone have any idea where to get a GMAT vocabulary list, as GMAT exam has way too many terminologies that we rarely use or see in real life?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Great resources in this thread, thank you very much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Send PM
Hey guys,

Can you suggest what should be the plan of action after completing the MGMAT guides and OG . Shall we do the problems on gmatclub forums after going through the guides apart from practicing from verbal and quant review books. Should one also go through the gmatclub math and verbal book after finishing the basic material?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Thanks for the informative post! Question: I have a 1.5 month-long trip planned that will start in approximately a month. Is it recommended to start studying now or after the break?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ksyu382 wrote:
Thanks for the informative post! Question: I have a 1.5 month-long trip planned that will start in approximately a month. Is it recommended to start studying now or after the break?

I am a fan of the not-to-stretch your prep and not have to go back and revisit it. I would perhaps spend the next 1.5 months reading some good/hard fiction/books to get your mind setup for the tough GMAT Passages (if you need help with Verbal) but otherwise, would delay your push/kick off until you are back.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
bb wrote:
ksyu382 wrote:

I am a fan of the not-to-stretch your prep and not have to go back and revisit it. I would perhaps spend the next 1.5 months reading some good/hard fiction/books to get your mind setup for the tough GMAT Passages (if you need help with Verbal) but otherwise, would delay your push/kick off until you are back.

I understand and appreciate the quick reply. That's what I was leaning towards anyway, as I assume I would forget the majority of what I've studied over that time period. I suppose I'll focus on gathering resources and reading material in the meantime.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi!

I am planning to take GMAT in 6 months time and gave my first GMAT practice test on Veritas Prep and scored 620 (Q47,V28) & IR 6. My prep included only practicing the questions for Quant from OG15, CR and SC from Verbal Guide15.

My SC score was as per my expectation 11 correct out of 14, but <50% success rate in CR & RC (during practice it was ~70-80% easily without any constraint on time).

I surely need some hardcore strategies for improving my Verbal. Need suggestions for improvement.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GRE 1: Q168 V155
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Hey there :)
I cant download any of the files in this page ? Am I the only one ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
bb wrote:
Jeremy800 wrote:
Great post!

Do you have a plan for someone who has a full year to study?

Jeremy (490 GMAT)

Welcome to GMAT Club Jeremy.
I would not recommend that you spend more than 4 or max 6 months on the GMAT. Human memory is very faulty and will not hold GMAT material that long. Also - you will hate life, MBA, and anything that has G, M, A, or T letters in it. Finally, don't think there are enough materials to study for an entire year....

Instead, spend 3-4 months of more intense prep with proper materials and you should be good to go. Is tarted with 540 and went to 750 in 3-4 months.

Is tarted with 540 and went to 750 in 3-4 months. BB you inspired me. Thank you so much !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I am willing to take the GMAT in 3 months to catch the spring admission.
The required score is 650. I took Kaplan free test as a diagnostic test and my score was very low
English is my second language and I am rusty in mathematics as well.
I have Manhattan foundation 5th edition in both mathematics and English, and I bought the Manhattan GMAT 9 books 6th edition guide.
I am a bit confused about how I should start.
Should I read the chapter first from the foundation then read the guide book or I have to finish the foundation first.
Also all the daily study plans are working with online courses
Do you have any advice for a daily study plan like magoosh study plan but would work out with the books I have?

Thanks a lot

Originally posted by RG7 on 16 Apr 2016, 11:56.
Last edited by RG7 on 23 Apr 2016, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on this forum periodically since about 2 years ago when I first thought of getting an MBA. I have just now gotten around to actually scheduling my exam 14 weeks from today. My study materials include OG16 and the complete set of MGMAT books. I came across this study plan (BB's very first post), and I think it is great. However I did have a question.

Focusing on Quant and Verbal separately for a month each - is this really a good idea? I am asking because I am worried that by the time you're done with Verbal after the second month, you might have already forgotten what you learned for Quant in the first month. Is it not better to simultaneously study and do practice questions for both sections to continually refresh your knowledge?

The idea of focusing your efforts on one thing at a time definitely makes sense, I am just wondering if that is truly the best way to approach this. Please feel free to correct me. Thank you to everyone in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
What should I focus on my first week after creating an account?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys, After 12 years of job i have planned to go for the GMAT in Aug'16 so need your help in making this success...currently bough OG 16
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42