It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 07:44
Hi
I haven't taken GMAT before..so I read through these forums to get a feel of how to approach the exam.Also since I am a full time working professional enrolling in a course will not be viable for me as I will not be able to devote time for self study which I believe is paramount to one's success. Also I am kinda uncomfortable with the idea of attending a course as I like to learn by myself at my own pace. I am descent in Quant's though weak in areas such as geometry so I believe I can learn the concepts by myself following these forums whenever I need any assistance.also a lot of guys I came across in the forums were working professionals who took the self study and chalked out a solid plan to help them reach their goals. Most of these guys kept the gmat preps for the end before the actual exam so they could really guage their preparation and use these tests diligently.So just advise me if self study is the route I take how to succeed and also advise on the books I mentioned and how to work on them. I intend to take the GMAT next year in June so advise me if this would be the right time and suggest when to start my preparation accordingly.

If this time is ideal and when shall I kickstart my preparation for the same i.e. what should be time span?
After going through some of the comments in the forums I have figured out some of the following material that will aid me in getting a good score (700+ and around 750). These are as follows:
a) GMAT OG REVIEW 2016
b) Manhattan SC guide
c) Aristotle SC,CR,RC Grails
d) Manhattan Quant guides
d) Manhattan advanced quant (please share your views on this)
e) For testing purpose using MGMATs, gmatpreps, gmatclub tests

Kindly let me know your views on this and also share your list of recommended study material to ace the test.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 02:23
Hi

Which diagnostic test should one take before starting the prep apart from the gmatprep tests since I do not want to exhaust these tests and use them in the later stage of preparation.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2272 [0], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 04:58
rahulzlpr wrote:
Hi

Which diagnostic test should one take before starting the prep apart from the gmatprep tests since I do not want to exhaust these tests and use them in the later stage of preparation.

My recommendation (in Descending order of preference)

1) GMAT CLUB TESTS (The best that I see now)
2) Manhattan Tests
3) Veritas Prep Tests
4) Kaplan Tests

However you must take free tests before making a conscious decision.

The link to all the free tests can be found in my signature.

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 13:20
Study Plan?

I am preparing Gmat for the first time and I am completely out of studies since last 10 years. Whats the best strategy for preparation? How long should I give and what are the recommended books?

My target score is +650.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
G

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 21:47
faisalkakar wrote:
Study Plan?

I am preparing Gmat for the first time and I am completely out of studies since last 10 years. Whats the best strategy for preparation? How long should I give and what are the recommended books?

My target score is +650.

The detachment from studies for 10 years required a great push in the beginning of preparation in general but surprisingly I have found many student (in smaller percentage though) who have shown great strength even after 10 years of professional experience. So the steps for you could be as follows

1) Take a Diagnostic test (take GMAT Prep downloaded from www.mba.com )
2) Understand your comfort level with the questions format and test pattern and see where you stand now in terms of your score and percentile
3) Identify your weak and strong areas and assign the importance to them and make plan to work on them REGULARLY
4) Then plan to prepare with the content material (Start from Official Guide and Manhattan books together)
5) See how well you are going and whether getting all concepts from the books is working fine for you or not.
6) If learning from books is not working fine then look for expert help or joining some coaching classes.

The right guidance is really a key to do preparation with appropriate effort and in appropriate time frame. The undisciplined way of preparation might cause a lot of time wastage and still lack of deserved success.

I hope that helps!!!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 14:38
Many thanks for the detailed response!

I would take my diagnostic test on coming weekend and will have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses but I know it would need some time to brush up my skills!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 11:53
I took the test and scored badly in both verbal and Quant sections. I was expecting such a low score as I was out of touch from course books since last 10 years. My diagnostic score is V16 and Q31 -> 410.

I have started verbal section since last 2 days and going through Manhattan foundation book. My plan is to complete the Manhattan set and then move to e-GMAT verbal section?

Can you please advise, it is worth going through Manhattan first OR skip Manhattan and directly jump to e-GMAT as I have heard their reviews were awesome? Do I need to learn some foundation concepts before buying e-GMAT tutorial?

I have 6 months to prepare for GMAT, so I can manage to go through various sourcing but I don't want to waste time on reading extra resources.

Please advise, what should I do?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Warwick Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 14:35
Hi guys,

Sorry for being a little bit hush tonight, but everybody is asking about how should I get to 700+, or even 750+? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, actually shared an error log with us and ask how can he/she improve a specific aspect. That's the first step: measure it. I believe is a well known saying, that is more or less like: "What is not measured, is not improved". So...show us your error log and we can point some possible improvements.
Guys, I hate to break it to you but management is not sexy. Management is measuring, identifying problems, trying various improvements, measure again the results, chose the best option, implement it and measure it again. There is no way to improve without measuring where you are, what are your strong points and weak points. And don't give me the... I know me weak points. I am challenging you to SHOW us your weak points.

I hope this helps,
Adrian

P.S. : if you don't have an error log template, search this forum as there are couple of good ones.

At MBA Coach we change the coaching industry mindset from billable hours to getting results in your term.

We are the only company where you can have a no win no fee approach. Because we have only one thing in mind: you getting into your dream school with a decent scholarship.

http://www.mbacoach.co.uk

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 15:25
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for pointing it out the importance of Error log. I have also realized, its very importance after reviewing so many posts and going through GMAT diagnostics test. As my score was very bad so I am going to improve all areas - my plan is to work on the foundations first. At the moment, I have started my preparation for SC section and already started to maintain error log. After going through all section, I would maintain the error log and will definitely get back to you!

Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 15:38
optmistic2016 wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for pointing it out the importance of Error log. I have also realized, its very importance after reviewing so many posts and going through GMAT diagnostics test. As my score was very bad so I am going to improve all areas - my plan is to work on the foundations first. At the moment, I have started my preparation for SC section and already started to maintain error log. After going through all section, I would maintain the error log and will definitely get back to you!

Thanks!

You are more than welcome! The ErrorLog is your best friend. And this are not just words - I've seen miracles happening just by tracing our activity (in general, and for GMAT in special). Good luck and have fun along the way.

Adrian

At MBA Coach we change the coaching industry mindset from billable hours to getting results in your term.

We are the only company where you can have a no win no fee approach. Because we have only one thing in mind: you getting into your dream school with a decent scholarship.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 23:03
Hi,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for almost a month now and feel like I need more structure to my studies. I purchased all 10 Manhattan Prep books and am working my way through the Quant books, but I feel like I don't know the material cold (I noticed because when I try their problem sets/quizzes, I find myself missing maybe 1-2 easy questions and not fully knowing how to apply concepts I just read about).

I work 8-6 and study around 2-3 hours a night and more on the weekends, but I feel like I'm not really improving, which is frustrating because I'm not sure how I can hone my percentage problem skills, etc. since I've also read that it's not wise to just do problems in the OG without having a solid foundation first.

So basically, does anyone have any recommendations for how I can strengthen my quant foundation? I've gone through and reworked the problems in Manhattan Prep, started an error log, and typed out in my own words why it was this answer and not the one I chose. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 02:51
kh1405 wrote:
Hi,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for almost a month now and feel like I need more structure to my studies. I purchased all 10 Manhattan Prep books and am working my way through the Quant books, but I feel like I don't know the material cold (I noticed because when I try their problem sets/quizzes, I find myself missing maybe 1-2 easy questions and not fully knowing how to apply concepts I just read about).

I work 8-6 and study around 2-3 hours a night and more on the weekends, but I feel like I'm not really improving, which is frustrating because I'm not sure how I can hone my percentage problem skills, etc. since I've also read that it's not wise to just do problems in the OG without having a solid foundation first.

So basically, does anyone have any recommendations for how I can strengthen my quant foundation? I've gone through and reworked the problems in Manhattan Prep, started an error log, and typed out in my own words why it was this answer and not the one I chose. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hi,

You are doing the correct thing for the first month. Just build knowledge, pay attention to your weak areas (using your error log) and revisit the theory for that areas. Simply putted: what are the three areas where you commit the most mistakes? Just focus on those (revisit theory, revisit methods to solve the problems). If you find yourself struggling with numbers and doing the math, than you can look for exercises that helps you with this. I've wrote an small article about this : http://mbacoach.co.uk/Articles.html#msg-box3-18

Cheers,
Adrian

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 09:34
Hi, does anyone have any idea where to get a GMAT vocabulary list, as GMAT exam has way too many terminologies that we rarely use or see in real life?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 08:10
Great resources in this thread, thank you very much!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Schools: LBS '18, IE April '17
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 11:00
Hey guys,

Can you suggest what should be the plan of action after completing the MGMAT guides and OG . Shall we do the problems on gmatclub forums after going through the guides apart from practicing from verbal and quant review books. Should one also go through the gmatclub math and verbal book after finishing the basic material?

Give kudos and appreciate if you think its worthwhile

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 11:52
Thanks for the informative post! Question: I have a 1.5 month-long trip planned that will start in approximately a month. Is it recommended to start studying now or after the break?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28464 [0], given: 5105

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 12:11
ksyu382 wrote:
Thanks for the informative post! Question: I have a 1.5 month-long trip planned that will start in approximately a month. Is it recommended to start studying now or after the break?

I am a fan of the not-to-stretch your prep and not have to go back and revisit it. I would perhaps spend the next 1.5 months reading some good/hard fiction/books to get your mind setup for the tough GMAT Passages (if you need help with Verbal) but otherwise, would delay your push/kick off until you are back.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28464 [0], given: 5105

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 12:24
bb wrote:
ksyu382 wrote:

I am a fan of the not-to-stretch your prep and not have to go back and revisit it. I would perhaps spend the next 1.5 months reading some good/hard fiction/books to get your mind setup for the tough GMAT Passages (if you need help with Verbal) but otherwise, would delay your push/kick off until you are back.

I understand and appreciate the quick reply. That's what I was leaning towards anyway, as I assume I would forget the majority of what I've studied over that time period. I suppose I'll focus on gathering resources and reading material in the meantime.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 06:24
Hi!

I am planning to take GMAT in 6 months time and gave my first GMAT practice test on Veritas Prep and scored 620 (Q47,V28) & IR 6. My prep included only practicing the questions for Quant from OG15, CR and SC from Verbal Guide15.

My SC score was as per my expectation 11 correct out of 14, but <50% success rate in CR & RC (during practice it was ~70-80% easily without any constraint on time).

I surely need some hardcore strategies for improving my Verbal. Need suggestions for improvement.

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
GRE 1: 323 Q168 V155
GPA: 3.58

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 01:40
Hey there :)
I cant download any of the files in this page ? Am I the only one ??

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 68

Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2016, 01:40

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43    Next  [ 848 posts ] 

GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap