Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:51 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
nikhil12345 wrote:
Hi All ,
Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know the chances to get into ISB .
GMAT score : 720 ( 51 Q , 35 V , 8 IR )
CGPA : 9.2 ( National Institute of Technology )
10th : 89% (CBSE )
12th : 79% (CBSE)
Work Ex : 37 months ( Electronics core job with no international experience ) , I have received few accolades and also presented papers in company .
Extra curriculum : Conducted many events in college and worked for NGOs , also participated in plays .
Sports : State player , 5 times district winner and I have also won inter corporate tournaments .

I am targeting only ISB this year . There is a big difference in my verbal (35) score and IR (8) / quants (51) score , will it impact my application .
Also is there any need to re-attempt gmat for better verbal/quants-IR ratio ?

Awaiting your replies !!!

Thanks
Nikhil

Hi Nikhil,

The profile looks good.

GMAT Score is good and you need not worry about the difference between the Quants and the Verbal score at all. No need to retake the test.
The GPA is great and the X and XII are also fine.
You have a good tier 1 undergrad college.
The core Electronics experience will differentiate you from the IT crowd and the papers presented by you will also help you.
On the extra curricular front, are you still involved in the community services and the sports? Because the recent involvements leave a bigger impact on the application

What you need to address is the need to do an MBA after your core Electronics job and why ISB.
If you can think of convincing answers for these, you are good to go :)

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hey everybody!!

ISB doesn't have a re-applicant right??

Best of luck!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Send PM
rajeshrkv wrote:
Hey everybody!!

ISB doesn't have a re-applicant right??

Best of luck!!

Did you mean candidates once denied , can they apply as re-applicant to ISB?

yes, very much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Oops!!!
I missed the keyword there!!!
I meant applicant essay!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.66
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have recently scored a 700 (unofficial) on GMAT with Q50, V34 and IR5. My profile is as below:
10th: 78%
12: 62%
BE: 73% from a regular Engg college.
Work Ex(a total of 60+ months): Started working with an IT MNC on CRM for 2.2 years as a part of Sales Force Automation Team. I have been awarded for my contribution in the project which was later declared as CMM5. There, I also contributed in Knowledge management of the project, prompting project members having different area expertise to share their knowledge with each other. I also trained and mentored two new joinees in the project, one of which is serving at onsite.

After MNC, I joined a public sector bank as an IT Officer since June 12, looking after Bank's Network and some relevant IT projects. As a Presiding Officer of election booths, I successfully conducted General Elections 2014 and Local Municipal elections. I have also earned a JAIIB - Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers and a CAIIB - Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers, which are provided by provided by Indian Institute of Banking and Finance.
Extra Curricular: nothing as such.

I wanted to know whether with the above mentioned profile, is a 700 a viable score or do I have to push further on GMAT score? Is the above mentioned profile competitive enough for ISB, IIM-A,B,C?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
rajeshrkv wrote:
Oops!!!

I think you are talking about the re-applicant essay.
Yes Re-applicants have to write an additional essay describing their progress in the last year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
rajeshrkv wrote:
Oops!!!

I think you are talking about the re-applicant essay.
Yes Re-applicants have to write an additional essay describing their progress in the last year.

sorry for repeating the same mistake again and again...
ankurgupta03 yes I'm talking about the re-applicant essay
Do you mean that in the optional essay I've to highlight my achievements during the last year?
I'm confused cause I haven't been able to find the re-applicant essay prompt anywhere and the
below link also doesn't talks about any essay
https://www.isb.edu/pgp/admissions/re-applicants
Retired Moderator
Send PM
rajeshrkv wrote:

Do you mean that in the optional essay I've to highlight my achievements during the last year?
I'm confused cause I haven't been able to find the re-applicant essay prompt anywhere and the

Re applicant essay is over and above the optional essay.
In the application, on the first page you will have to check mark the re applicant box and then key in the the last years application number.
After this, you will be able to see the Re applicant essay in the essay section.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
rajeshrkv wrote:

Re applicant essay is over and above the optional essay.
In the application, on the first page you will have to check mark the re applicant box and then key in the the last years application number.
After this, you will be able to see the Re applicant essay in the essay section.

regarding the last year's application number, the prompt in the application portal allows only 6 digits
but my application reference no. is a 8 digit number.
Is that some glitch with the portal or m i missing something?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
rajeshrkv wrote:

regarding the last year's application number, the prompt in the application portal allows only 6 digits
but my application reference no. is a 8 digit number.
Is that some glitch with the portal or m i missing something?

Hmmm ... even I saw that. The application is not allowing us to move ahead. May be some problem with the application.

If anyone has an answer for this, please let us know else, we might need to contact ADCOM for this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alagrai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have recently scored a 700 (unofficial) on GMAT with Q50, V34 and IR5. My profile is as below:
Work Ex(a total of 60+ months): Started working with an IT MNC on CRM for 2.2 years as a part of Sales Force Automation Team. I have been awarded for my contribution in the project which was later declared as CMM5. There, I also contributed in Knowledge management of the project, prompting project members having different area expertise to share their knowledge with each other. I also trained and mentored two new joinees in the project, one of which is serving at onsite.

After MNC, I joined a public sector bank as an IT Officer since June 12, looking after Bank's Network and some relevant IT projects. As a Presiding Officer of election booths, I successfully conducted General Elections 2014 and Local Municipal elections. I have also earned a JAIIB - Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers and a CAIIB - Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers, which are provided by provided by Indian Institute of Banking and Finance.

I wanted to know whether with the above mentioned profile, is a 700 a viable score or do I have to push further on GMAT score? Is the above mentioned profile competitive enough for ISB, IIM-A,B,C?

Hi everyone,
if anyone can provide his/her inputs on the above. Thanks in advance. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q51 V31
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
I have a query regarding the work-ex. People says that coming from IT background dusnt helps much, how is d scenario for an engineer coming from Oil & Gas sector with 4 yrs of work-ex? Yet to give GMAT, planning it in August end.
Working for Samsung Engineering from past 4-years. Does brand of the company one works for matter?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rajan2189 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I have a query regarding the work-ex. People says that coming from IT background dusnt helps much, how is d scenario for an engineer coming from Oil & Gas sector with 4 yrs of work-ex? Yet to give GMAT, planning it in August end.
Working for Samsung Engineering from past 4-years. Does brand of the company one works for matter?

Hi,
As far as I can say, It is not that coming from IT background doesn't help much, but it is the competition one faces on being from IT background as there are a lot of applicants from IT sector. Though this kind of facts should not discourage anyone from applying as long as he/ she has made significant contribution in whatever he/she has done be it IT sector or OnG sector.
And Yes, Brand name does help :-D
Corrections/ additions on the above will be highly appreciated :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q51 V31
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
@Alagrai- thanks for answering. :) Hope I will be able to utilise the brand name. All rests on scores!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi everyone,

I have received my Official score report. With other sections being the same, the AWA score is a poor 4.0. Now, should I retake or not?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
alagrai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi everyone,

I have received my Official score report. With other sections being the same, the AWA score is a poor 4.0. Now, should I retake or not?

Firstly, congrats on the 700. Even by itself it is a good score.

You have a good profile, but let me ask you this: How would you differentiate yourself from the thousands of other applicants from IT Background (Many might have a similar profile and a potentially higher GMAT Scores)? If you have the answer to this then you need to highlight this throughout your application (essays + recos + especially interview). Just food for thought.

Bluntly, people do get in with a 700. But then for your case, it doesn't differentiate you from many other IT Background applicants. And 4.0 might be on the borderline for the AWA (the AWA is not heavily weighted, but if low, i.e. below 4.0 then might raise some questions).

Others might disagree, but even with a 700, I would say it is a gamble for you (maybe with your PSU experience, you pull it off, maybe you get categorised as an IT applicant and then you will need a lot of luck on your side). I would say, it depends on "Do you feel lucky?"

@Others, do weigh in with your experience.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi,
Should I give GMAT again to better my chances?

GMAT : 700 (47Q/40V)
B.E. Electronics (Mumbai University - 67% aggregate)
10th/12th 88%/84%
Extra-curricular activities involve volunteering experience at NGO and leading Literary clubs in college
2 years of analytics experience (Mu Sigma/Lowe's)
(will be two and a half by the time I join)
Can write good essays. But i'm a little worried about the score.
Please advise.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts