Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
saritdeb
Wait, I thought the second question was going to be "What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?"
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:
Video essay questions were

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
MV23 wrote:
saritdeb
Wait, I thought the second question was going to be "What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?"
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg

And first is a random personal question with no right answers. Also very confused o_O
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
kvazar wrote:
MV23 wrote:
saritdeb
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg

And first is a random personal question with no right answers. Also very confused o_O

Yea I would say go with what it says verbatim on the Kellogg website:

"..The second question will be about Kellogg. And to make this even less mysterious we are going to give you the question. Seriously. Here it is: “What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?”

It would be some serious tom-foolery for them to say this and it not be the actual question IMO.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Retail)
Send PM
kvazar wrote:
MV23 wrote:
saritdeb
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg

Can anyone who has done the video essays shed some light on this? I agree that it would be pretty shady to switch the question (even just the phrasing) when they are so explicit that they are giving us the exact question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
andy3590 wrote:

Can anyone who has done the video essays shed some light on this? I agree that it would be pretty shady to switch the question (even just the phrasing) when they are so explicit that they are giving us the exact question

Don't panic, this is the exact question asked in the video. You can rehearse the answer. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
panoramix wrote:
andy3590 wrote:

Can anyone who has done the video essays shed some light on this? I agree that it would be pretty shady to switch the question (even just the phrasing) when they are so explicit that they are giving us the exact question

Don't panic, this is the exact question asked in the video. You can rehearse the answer. :)

Awesome, thanks for letting everyone know! Collectively, I believe will be a huge sigh of relief....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Thanks man, that really makes things clearer :D
Was the other one a random personal question or a standard one like why MBA?

panoramix wrote:
andy3590 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Right, the first question is personal, not mba related.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
video essay complete!

my question was "Who was someone you looked up to growing up?"

The second question was indeed what was expected.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What should Volkswagen do? | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

We started our second year with a one week pre-term course on Leading and Managing Crises. We discussed responses to multiple crises – both good and bad. And, as I was on the lookout for a new crisis to apply my learning, Volkswagen appeared in the news for what has to rank among the dumbest decisions of all time.

How Volkswagen thought they could get away with a program that cheats the emissions test is anyone’s guess. But common sense isn’t very common, and this is a good illustration that groups of people in “good” companies can make some really bad decisions.

A framework we used for discussing crisis response was called “The Trust Radar.”

Source and Credit: Reputation Rules by Prof. Daniel Diermeier

The rationale behind the framework is that crises are not just disasters that need to be managed. Instead, they need to be viewed as turning points: manage them well, for example, and you could win significant trust. In all star examples of crisis management — the 1980s Tylenol crisis or the 2005 Southwest crisis when a plane slid off the ice, crashed into a car and killed a 6-year old boy — leadership scored high on each of the four components of the trust radar.

First, they demonstrated transparency by getting on the scene quickly and being very clear about what they knew, what they didn’t know and what they were doing to get the information. This is in contrast to British Petroleum’s (BP) response to the 2010 oil spill. No one seemed to have a clue as to what was going on.

Second, they demonstrate expertise where necessary. In crises that involve technical issues, it is critical that the public feels the company knows what’s going on and how it can be fixed. Again, BP spent more time trying to siphon blame than fixing the problem in the immediate aftermath of the spill.

Third, they show commitment. Often, the first step here is by simply making sure the CEO shows up. There is often nothing more important than reputation, and the CEO’s presence underlines that. However, the best show of commitment is doing what it takes to fix the problem. This generally involves a huge investment into product recalls and compensation for damages.

Finally, they demonstrate empathy. Company’s and executives aren’t trusted by the public, so this step is critical to make sure the people in the affected area understand they are cared for.

So that leads us to – what can Volkswagen do?

Firing the CEO was a first step. It shows commitment. However, they have a long way to go.

Among the four radar components, commitment is the one that requires the most attention. Being transparent and empathetic will help, but to a lesser extent. And it is clear they have technical expertise – too much of it, some might argue. Aside from investing in product recalls and fines, I think a critical step toward demonstrating commitment to fixing the problem would be to conduct a thorough investigation into the groups that recommended and decided to make this decision (it can’t just be the CEO). They need to be fired/fined and punished in some way. Such decisions show a failure of ethics in the organization, and hard measures are required.

While the new CEO will definitely need to attempt to score as high as possible on the four components of the trust radar, the Volkswagen case illustrates one of the hardest challenges of rebuilding reputation – you cannot talk yourself out of a problem that you’ve acted yourself into.

Companies, like humans, are trusted because of the character they exhibit. And demonstrating good character is a long-term game. Volkswagen has a long and painful road ahead.

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: crises, leadership, leading and managing crises, managing crises, MBA Learnings, pre-term, trust, Volkswagen
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
MV23 wrote:
saritdeb
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg

Yup the exact wording was what you mentioned, I just shortened it :-D :-D
I dint get any personal question, just why MBA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Send PM
Just done with my video essays -- Completed in my pyjamas :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Can someone help me clarifying the first part of the question : "What path are you interested in pursuing?". Does this relate with professional path (after mba), or is it a path while at Kellogg? This sounds ambiguous to me...

MV23 wrote:
saritdeb
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
nechets
I had the same doubts. I found this resource to be useful
https://fxmbaconsulting.com/kellogg-vide ... cing-here/
And I went with what I want to do after Kellogg and how Kellogg would help get to that position. Don't forget to include why Kellogg is the right fit for you (maybe a line or two about that).
One thing I would like to say, keep a lookout for the time, I was unable to finish my last sentence and was cut midway which really isn't a good thing.
nechets wrote:
Hi everyone,

Can someone help me clarifying the first part of the question : "What path are you interested in pursuing?". Does this relate with professional path (after mba), or is it a path while at Kellogg? This sounds ambiguous to me...

MV23 wrote:
saritdeb
Isn't that the case?
saritdeb wrote:

1. Why MBA
2. Why Kellogg
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
thank you MV23, will try to combine my answer using your insights. Best wishes on your apps!

if still of any help to other applicants, this link provides some insights on paths to follow with at Kellogg (https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pr ... hways.aspx)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Don't fret about the video essays. I was pretty nervous about it but it ended up being really natural and easy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q45 V46
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Done with video essay and it went really well.

Night and day compared with the Yale VE.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  58   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts