Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 13:12 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 13:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Also, does the status change on the online application portal after receiving an interview invite?

Does a late interview invite/ waiver symbolize a weak application? Typically till when are the interview invites sent?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Tuck '18 (M)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SherLocked2018 wrote:
Anyone of you applied with your spouse (as a couple) and got interview invites for both? Or one of you ?

I applied as a couple and we both got interviews, but Kellogg interviews everyone so I'm not sure our status as a couple really gave us an advantage.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3635 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
gayatriakulk wrote:
Also, does the status change on the online application portal after receiving an interview invite?

Does a late interview invite/ waiver symbolize a weak application? Typically till when are the interview invites sent?

My status has not changed even though my interview was held on 9th October. Additionally, the interview email did mention that the applicant need not let Kellogg know when the interview has completed.

As for the waiver, the website (https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... ocess.aspx) does mention the following (please take extreme caution to interpret it in a particular manner),

"Interview Waiver
Due to the high demand for interviews and limited availability of interviewers, you may receive an interview waiver. Waivers will not have a negative impact on your candidacy."

Kellogg usually ends up interviewing a large percentage of applicants every year and hence you should see quite a few invites getting sent by mid November even.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
gayatriakulk wrote:

I had my interview last week but there has been no change on my application page. Not one bit.

Waiver does not mean a weak application at all. On the contrary, a late invite, which is mostly after being given a waiver means that the school is interested in you. If there is no invite post being given a waiver and one is fairly close to the decision date, that perhaps could mean a ding. A lot of invites are likely to be sent out in the month of November, or perhaps even this week. A lot of applicants from India, i would believe, are yet to hear from Kellogg. I am sure there'll be much more invites coming soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
gayatriakulk wrote:
Any Indian applicant from Mumbai, who has got an interview invite?

Nope :( In Mumbai too.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Five questions with Kellogg Professor Paul Christensen

Paul Christensen is a clinical professor of finance at Kellogg, where he teaches courses in microfinance and international business. In addition, he serves as Academic Director for Kellogg’s Global Study Programs, enabling MBA students to explore international business and markets through global immersion experiences. Prior to Kellogg, Christensen was the founder and President of ShoreCap International Ltd., a $28 million private equity company, based in London, which invests in financial institutions in developing countries throughout Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe.

Christensen took time to talk about what he teaches, why he teaches and what he hopes students take away from his courses.

What courses do you teach?
I teach three classes here at Kellogg. The first is a class on microfinance and the role that development financial institutions play in the emerging markets, helping people access credit, savings and other basic financial services to improve their lives. Microfinance is the reason I am at Kellogg. It’s the first course I was ever invited to teach as an adjunct instructor before taking more of a full-time role here. In addition, I teach our Global Initiatives in Management (GIM) classes. Over the years, I have taught courses focused on business and markets in Africa, Brazil and most recently China. The third class I teach is an experiential learning one called Global Lab, where teams of MBA students work with overseas organizations on a particular project, typically one around strategy or marketing. I haven’t taught that class recently, but someday I hope to return to it because it’s fun to work with students and help them apply what they are learning here at Kellogg.

What do you hope are two or three main takeaways that students get from your courses?
I focus on a couple themes throughout, whether it is my microfinance class or doing business in China. The first is I like to provide students with new insights and understandings into the way that business and capital markets are truly global these days. In microfinance, we talk about the role that major national banks and the capital markets play and how they are providing capital to support microfinance loans. Certainly when we go to China and tour manufacturing plants and talk to global multi-nationals there, the increasing role China is playing in the global economy becomes obvious. That is one theme.

The second theme is I like my students to walk away from all my classes with a deeper appreciation for the ways that business can be a force for social good. Most microfinance organizations have transformed from NGO’s or non-profits to socially motivated, for-profit institutions. Even in the international business courses that I teach, I try to introduce this theme. China, for example, has lifted more people out of poverty through industrialization and business expansion that any other country in history.

Then last, but not least, I would say I really like to give all of my students a first-hand account of what it is like to be a manager in an overseas setting, working for an overseas company or working for a US company overseas. Managers need to pay close attention to the local culture and customs, the difference in working styles and personalities, because without that sensitivity, even the best managers can wind up falling prey to ugly prejudices or simply be ineffective. One of the things I have been doing as Academic Director for Kellogg’s Global Programs is working with staff and students to identify cultural awareness/intelligence tools that are available online. These tools allow students to test how aware they are of the local culture they are going into, how business practices differ between countries and the role of different institutions in these markets. We haven’t implemented it school-wide, but I would like to see us to do it someday.

What do you like most about teaching?
I really like sharing my knowledge and experience with students. I have 25-plus years of private sector experience, and being able to share some of that experience with them is very rewarding personally.

I also learn a lot from the students, and I really enjoy seeing the world through our students’ eyes — the new perspectives, the difference in backgrounds, and work experience they have, especially when I travel with them. Visiting Tiananmen Square with a group of students for the first time and talking about the importance of that place is terrific.

I really do learn a lot from them, especially in technology. I am sort of a technology dinosaur in many ways. I probably wouldn’t even know what Google docs and Dropbox were if it weren’t for my students who forced me to use some of these tools in the classroom. Learning about their creative use of new technology, their experiences on the job and what they are learning across the school in their other classes is something I find invigorating.

What do you think makes Kellogg unique?
I have studied and taught at other schools, and what keeps me coming back to the classroom here at Kellogg year in and year out is not just the quality of the students in terms of how smart they are, but the way they get engaged in everything they do, their desire to make an impact — whether that is a social impact or an impact on the organizations they are going to work for — and that special sort of collaborative nature. It’s not a sharp elbow place.

What advice would you give to a prospective student considering pursuing their MBA at Kellogg?
I have three pieces of advice for students considering an MBA at Kellogg.

First, take advantage of the scale of Kellogg and Northwestern University. I attended a fairly small MBA program and there are MBA programs around the world that aren’t affiliated with large research universities like Northwestern. Kellogg’s scale means students get a huge number of opportunities to take electives across all sorts of different areas. Explore the electives. Join one of the hundred-plus clubs. Attend seminars and events across the campus.

The other thing is you have incredible diversity because of the scale of our student body. You have an opportunity to get to know a lot of students from across the United States and around the world.

I think another advantage of having scale is that we have a ton of different kinds of recruiters that come to campus. I encourage people to sit in on those corporate information sessions, even if you think you know what you want to do in terms of an industry or function. Go visit one that you don’t know much about. Learn what it is like to work in those areas.

My second piece of advice is to study hard, but make time for building lasting friendships across the school, because it is the knowledge you will learn in the classrooms as well as the relationships you will leave here with that will last for a long time. As I look back on my own MBA experience, I think I sacrificed relationships with my peers in favor of the academic focus, and I would have been better served having more of a balance. So my advice is to work hard but save time to build those relationships.

Then I guess the last piece of advice I would have, and again this is part of what differentiates Kellogg, is to pick the management program that is best for you. We have one of the broadest degree portfolios to choose from among any major US business school. You can get your MBA the traditional way, the way I got it, in a two-year, full-time setting. We also have an accelerated one-year program for people with business undergraduate degrees. We have specialized joint degrees, like our MMM program for students with a design and engineering bent who want to combine that with a business education. We have a part-time degree program. For more experienced managers, we have the EMBA program.

There are so many different ways to study. Find the program that is right for you.

Read Prof. Christensen’s discussion on the role of microfinance in combatting global poverty, as well as a new way of assessing credit-worthiness beyond the FICO score.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: faculty, finance, GIM, global, Global Initiatives in Management, Global Lab, microfinance
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: How I’m revolutionizing the Kenyan coffee industry

Zipporah Gatiti (right) with her mother and grandmother on the family’s coffee farm in Kenya

This article originally appeared on the London Entrepreneurship Review. View the original article.

By Zipporah Gatiti

Do you have special memories from when you were a child? Maybe of spending time with a special person and the small, but important rituals you shared together? For me that memory was spending time with my Grandmother Esther on her small coffee farm at the slopes of Mount Kenya.

I grew up spending summers at my Grandma’s farm. Grandma would spend all day working under the scorching sun nurturing the coffee and carefully monitoring the progress of the beans. Once the heat of the day passed, we would sit around and listen to her stories while the rich aroma of freshly brewed Kenyan coffee wafted in from the kitchen, filling the night air and fueling the stories.

Over time I moved to Europe, settled there and completed a degree in computer science, but I never forgot Grandma’s stories or her coffee. On a recent trip back to Kenya I made my way to the farm. The years had not been kind to Grandma or her neighbors. Many had abandoned growing coffee altogether and had diversified into other crops. Grandma was herself thinking about the future of her farm.

“Grandma, would you also replant your farm?” I asked, saddened by the thought of losing the coffee we loved.

“I get some money from coffee, but it’s not much,” she told me. “It’s impossible to survive on coffee alone.”

This is the story of my Grandmother, but it is also the challenge faced by many small scale farmers in Kenya who toil hard on their coffee farms yet fail to benefit from their effort.

Local coffee co-operatives fail to get the job done
Small-scale coffee growers produce 60% of all the coffee in Kenya and they all sell their coffee to local co-operatives. The co-operatives are a patchwork of member-run groups that often fail to get top prices for the coffee, lose money to inefficiency and are sometimes late in paying the farmers. This is because co-operatives are too small and are not able to source overseas buyers to open up other avenues for direct selling.

Grandma and her neighbors were facing the loss of their industry not because of market pressures or lack of demand, but because of the lack of alternative marketing channels. This is despite the fact that premium coffee grown on these Kenyan highlands is some of the most sought after in the world.

I felt there must be a better way for the coffee farmers to get better prices for their coffee.

When I started exploring the coffee supply chain, I discovered it consisted of the following stages:

• coffee is harvested by small-scale farmers
  • processed by millers
  • advertised by marketing agents
  • auctioned to traders
  • and shipped by exporters to roasters globally.
The supply chain was characterized by high fragmentation and was not only hurting the farmers, but also impacting the roasters who wanted direct access to a variety of single-origin coffee.

Roasters need a single, dependable source
Joe, a New Zealand native living in London, is passionate about excellent coffee — making it, roasting it, promoting it and selling it. He has been roasting for the last six years and holds Kenyan coffee in high regard.

“Kenyan coffee has a unique, high acidic, fragrant floral taste with intense red berry flavors, and a very clean finish,” he said. “The right Kenyan coffee has our customers talking about it for the rest of the year, and looking again for it the next season.”

Joe wants to buy coffee directly from small-lot farms, but like thousands of other roasters, he lacks the infrastructure to source and trace the coffee. He needs a dependable source where he can buy a variety of premium coffee and also trace the coffee’s origin.

“We face delays in shipment and delivery of coffee,” Joe said. “At times warehouse releases are lost in systems resulting in delivery delays.”

Like the coffee farmers, independent roasters also operate on tight margins and cannot afford any disruption in the supply chain. They are willing to pay more for premium coffee that can be verifiably sourced from small-lot Kenyan farms.

“Traceability to the farm is a must for us,” Joe said.

After witnessing Grandma distress about the possibly of having to sell the family coffee farm and the frustrations faced by roasters in getting access to a variety of coffee from small-lot farms, I decided to address their needs and created Taste of Kenya.

Taste of Kenya bridges the gap

Taste of Kenya, a third generation coffee family, intends to create a marketplace that will connect coffee growers in Kenya directly with specialty roasters worldwide. This will ensure the farmers get better prices for their coffee and are paid on time, while the roasters will have access to single source, traceable, premium, small-lot Kenyan coffee supported by farm traceability for which they will pay more.

Through Taste of Kenya, I want to create a global social business that will bring real value to the disadvantaged coffee farming community and at the same time preserve the integrity and quality of the coffee production process. It is my intention through this organization to right a wrong in the fragmented and distributed value process that is not transparent and does not adequately compensate farmers.

Taste of Kenya’s advantage
The specialty coffee industry is a vibrant and growing segment that is innovative and focused on high quality coffee with traceability to the farm. This is driven by rising consumer demand for artisan, hand-crafted coffee. Upholding the quality and consistency of the bean has become essential in this industry.

Taste of Kenya will deliver this by sourcing our coffee directly from small-lot farms, and at times working with local co-operatives who in many places welcome us because we can get better prices for their members. We will import the green coffee from small-lots farms in Kenya, store it in a warehouse in Dublin, and then ship it on-demand to specialty coffee roasters in Europe and globally. This will ensure farmers get fair, fast payment and reduce the shipment delays faced by roasters.

Leveraging business school
The highly experiential Entrepreneurship Summer School (ESS) at London Business School has given me the methodologies and tools to identify, assess and develop an informed understanding of the overall Kenyan coffee market and craft a viable business model.

My business knowledge was further segmented by applying for the exchange program at Kellogg to gain exposure to a new learning environment. A key reason for applying was Kellogg’s significant strength in marketing and strategy areas that will be fundamental in my business going forward. Kellogg also has the added strength of having a supportive environment that encourages teamwork and access to influential marketing faculty across different sectors.

The time spent at both business schools, with faculty who are thought leaders and surrounded by fellow entrepreneurial students in a collaborative environment, has empowered me to pursue this business opportunity.

Like my Grandmother, I am passionate about great coffee. But more importantly I am passionate about harnessing the power of business not only to make a profit, but also to improve the livelihoods of countless Kenyan farmers.

This is why Taste of Kenya exists, so that farmers like my Grandmother can continue to work on the land they love, and so you can continue to enjoy the smell and taste of freshly brewed Kenyan coffee directly from the farm to your cup.

Zipporah Gatiti is an Executive MBA student at the London Business School who currently is an exchange student at Kellogg. Born and raised in Nairobi, she spent her childhood on her family’s coffee estate at the slopes of Mount Kenya. She is a senior IT manager with more than 13 years of experience managing high impact projects within corporate companies.

Filed under: Academics, Career, Student Life Tagged: entrepreneurship, exchange, exchange students, Innovation
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.34
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hii guys...I received an interview waiver mail a while back from Kellogg . Don't know what to make of it and obviously not sure whether I will receive a skype interview invite later....fingers crossed!!!! :) I chose Mumbai as my choice for interview place. Any other Indian applicants who have received waivers or invites??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
arvindmba wrote:
Hii guys...I received an interview waiver mail a while back from Kellogg . Don't know what to make of it and obviously not sure whether I will receive a skype interview invite later....fingers crossed!!!! :) I chose Mumbai as my choice for interview place. Any other Indian applicants who have received waivers or invites??

I received an interview waiver about an hour ago as well. Mumbai was my chosen location too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Hello, even I received an interview waiver about an hour ago. I had chosen Bengaluru as my choice of off-campus interview. Even, I am glad knowing that the file is going to be read now.

If we get an interview call now, we will know they really liked our applications. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope we do get an invite :D

All the best to those who got a waiver :) Let's hope for the best!

-Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Just received an Interview waived off mail. I chose Bangalore as location. Can any noble soul enlighten me on how to interpret this and what are the odds still left in the game?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Re-posting a previous post, posted by somebody else earlier in the forum.
Hope this helps.
This means be positive and hope for the best :) That's all you can do at this moment.

Quote:
To everyone applying from India. I am a reapplicant and hence am acquainted with how the process works. Let me detail it as I am sure it will calm some nerves:

1. Kellogg, by design, interviews each applicant. However, in areas of high demand of interviews such as India, it is not possible for them to match their alumni to each applicant as each alumni can do only as many interviews
2. Once both Part 1 and Part 2 are submitted, one of the following three scenarios will occur:

i. You will be invited to interview on a day in late Oct/Early Nov. This is essentially an interview day - many alumni will gather at a hotel and many applicants will be interviewed. No clear formula on how the invitees are decided, but I think it depends on who submtited Part 1 earlier as from Kellogg's vantage point everyone has to be interviewed and hence no one is at a higher or lower priority at that point. Once the interview has been completed, the adcom will review your essays and recommendations and you then sit tight until the decision date to hear back from them.

ii. You will get an interview waiver. The Kellogg team does NOT read an applicant's file until their interview is complete. Hence, to avoid delays, they start reading the application first for those in India who weren't sent invited in the first go. The waiver does NOT affect your application negatively - it just means that they are waiving your interview in order to begin reviewing your application

iii. If they like your application, you will receive an invitation to interview. This will be a one to one with an alumnus here, or a Skype with the adcom in Chicago

iv. It may also happen that you don't get this invite after the waiver, in which case it is safe to assume you have been dinged

3. Hence, unlike other countries, in India Kellogg does NOT interview everyone. Also, most people receive a waiver which can then convert/not convert into an interview invite at a later stage.
4. You will NOT be admitted to the program without an interview. Hence, if after the waiver you do not receive an invite, it means you have been dinged.
5. Dates: Please read last year's thread. If I recall correctly, people received the first invites 2 weeks after the Part 2 deadline. People who first received a waiver and then an invite (such as me) kept hearing throughout November. I got my invite around Mid Nov.
6. Hence, if by end Nov you haven't heard from them after a waiver, safe to move on to alternate plans
7. Most people in India will get a waiver - it will test your nerves (tested mine) but it is actually a blessing in disguise. If you receive an invite after a waiver, that means the adcom liked your application and wants to know more - that is a positive sign any day of the year

Hope this answers your queries. Indian applicants should NOT compare their interview timeline to foreign applicants.
[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Just checked my emails and received an interview waiver offer 2 hours ago. Greek living in Athens...

Does anyone know how much time it takes after the interview waiver to receive an interview invite? And, after how much time after the interview waiver can I safely conclude that I have been dinged?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.04
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
arvindmba wrote:

I just received an interview waiver as well... in Shanghai, but I imagine it's the same issue: too many applicants. I really do hope they extend the opportunity to interview by Skype instead of off-campus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
I also got an interview waiver... I had selected delhi as interview location
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Also got an interview waiver by email about 3 hours back. I chose Bangalore as my preferred location. The admissions process is confusing and I had filed away Kellogg as a ding but the messages here are SO helpful! Big thank you to those of you who took time to explain what this means.

On an unrelated note - I was a bit staggered by how rotten that email made me feel. I work in consulting and I have a massive presentation to make to a CXO-level guy at one of India's largest public firms later today. Confidence levels are about -10 million right now. I'm moving all my client meeting timelines out to December as far as possible :) I can't possibly deal with clients on days when these emails drop in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
WE:Law (Consulting)
Send PM
Defacto404 wrote:
arvindmba wrote:

I received an interview waiver about an hour ago as well. Mumbai was my chosen location too.

Recieved a waiver. From Mumbai too.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21  ...  58   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts