It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 11:25
I had applied for interview in Kolkata. Instead got a Skype interview with an adcom. Done with the interview. She looked very interested in my job profile, my company, my department, my peers and so on. I don't think my kellogg interview went as well as I my previous interviews for iese n tepper. I was not as articulate as I would have liked to. I also could have done a better job of selling my job profile. I guess now my chances are really slim :( even though I wrote a beautiful essay in my application.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 11:53
Prospective2016 wrote:
Is a waiver an early ding, or a compliment "you're good, we understand your credentials, we'll let you know'

Well the jury is out for it! There still exists no definite answer on what a waiver actually means. A lot of past cases have suggested that waiver does not mean a ding, but equally, one can draw the opposite inference from another set of such cases. I personally would go by what the school says, that a waiver by no means, negatively affects your candidature. If it did, the school would have definitely said so.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 34

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Business Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 13:40
Random fact: In my "Preview Application Submitted", my GMAT scores now say "Verified Scores". I think they said "Self-Reported Scores" before. Also, it has my latest GMAT score written twice at the beginning - both saying "Verified Scores" and has my first GMAT score at the end which says "Verified Scores" as well. I have not seen such a change in my application for any other school.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 21:29
Phoenix2015 wrote:
Random fact: In my "Preview Application Submitted", my GMAT scores now say "Verified Scores". I think they said "Self-Reported Scores" before. Also, it has my latest GMAT score written twice at the beginning - both saying "Verified Scores" and has my first GMAT score at the end which says "Verified Scores" as well. I have not seen such a change in my application for any other school.

ditto for me!!!

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 73

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.45
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 08:03
For whatever it's worth, mine still says "Self-reported Score". I interviewed on-campus in late-September.

EDIT #1: Doh - I'm stupid. I forgot that I never sent GMAT scores to Kellogg, so there's no reason it would switch to Verified. Did I screw up? I could have sworn that they didn't require you sending official scores until acceptance but now I can't find that language anywhere.

EDIT #2: Jeez, really missing things today. This is on the status page: "Please note, unofficial test scores will be accepted during the review stage, however, all applicants should ensure that official test scores are sent to Kellogg for verification purposes.". I suppose I am fine, then. May as well save my $25 if its not needed.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 71

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 08:29
Mine updated to verified as well.

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 71

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 10:27
Waiver. :/ . India.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Kellogg welcomes new associate dean [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Kellogg welcomes new associate dean

We are pleased to welcome Matt Merrick as Kellogg’s new Associate Dean – MBA Operations. In this role, Matt partners with Kellogg’s Senior Associate Dean – Curriculum and Teaching, while overseeing day-to-day operations across all of Kellogg’s full-time, part-time, MSMS, joint degree and certificate programs. His scope includes admissions, academic experience (registrar, advising, experiential learning), student life and career outcomes.

Matt has an MBA from Harvard and most recently worked at Wake Forest University, where he served as the Executive Director, Business Analytics & FTMBA Programs. Prior to his time at Wake Forest, he held senior leadership roles in the private investment banking and the media industries. He also served for several years as the head of Harvard Business School’s career services group.

Matt took the time to answer a few questions about Kellogg and his early impressions.

What brought you to Kellogg?
Kellogg is a special place, and I was first attracted by the reputation of the school and students. Once I learned more, I was drawn in by the energy around our vision and the commitment to growth. I knew that a place that puts “inspiring growth” – particularly personal and professional growth – front and center would be a good fit for me.

Where are you focused on your first 100 days?
It is all about learning — digging into how things work here and understanding what is important to students. That means lots of great conversations focused on getting to know students and the Kellogg community.

Has anything surprised you?
I certainly had high expectations about the professionalism of Kellogg students, but I have been absolutely blown away by my experience so far. In every conversation, the students I have met have been thoughtful and positive, incredibly well prepared and committed to the school. It has been a terrific introduction.

Learn more about Kellogg’s Full-Time MBA program.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: associate dean, leadership, operations, Student Life Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 09:37
Found a current student from Kellogg checking my LinkedIn profile. And no invite yet. :/

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.31
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 03:50
I got an interview invite yesterday around 4pm GMT. It's was a notification to schedule a skype interview. I am from Africa, tech, entrepreneur.

Wish me luck!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 04:22
GhanaBa wrote:
I got an interview invite yesterday around 4pm GMT. It's was a notification to schedule a skype interview. I am from Africa, tech, entrepreneur.

Wish me luck!

Did you receive a waiver earlier?

Current Student

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.31
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 05:00
Defacto404 wrote:
GhanaBa wrote:

Wish me luck!

Nope. No waiver prior to that email.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 05:21
GhanaBa wrote:
Defacto404 wrote:
GhanaBa wrote:

Wish me luck!

Nope. No waiver prior to that email.

Thanks. Good Luck with the interview! Let is know how it went.

Kellogg Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 19:24
If you are interested, here is the post for our Indian applicants.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-indian-applicants-2016-intake-199662.html

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 00:29
aeropower wrote:

I have received an e-mail from Kellogg admissions saying that they have waived the interview requirement for me. are there other such aspirants? Or this is just a better way to say that well you are not required here!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Why Amazon’s first physical bookstore was smart, and inevitable | MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Why Amazon’s first physical bookstore was smart, and inevitable | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

Amazon opened its first bookstore in Seattle earlier this week. This led to a many interesting questions in the media: Has Amazon taken a step backward by jumping back into traditional retail? Didn’t Amazon start an online store to improve on the traditional bookstore model?

To understand this, let’s begin by taking a walk down memory lane and look at Jeff Bezos’ initial rationale for starting an online bookstore.

Bezos understood a fundamental benefit of having an online store — “unlimited” access to inventory while also eliminating the fixed cost of owning a physical location. Why did this matter? For a category such as books, there are millions of published works. However, even the largest of bookstores can possibly only stock tens of thousands of books. So, within bookstores, you now need to forecast/guess demand for books. And that, inevitably means high inventory costs because estimates are rarely right – especially for niche category books.

So it is now easy to understand why Bezos narrowed in on the following five categories as possible areas for Amazon to focus on for its initial product:

• compact discs
  • computer hardware
  • computer software
  • videos
  • books
All of these categories have a “long tail” of niche products that make selling them via traditional retail very challenging and expensive.

The principle we’re getting at is that the characteristics of a product drive the ideal supply chain/distribution strategy.

Let’s imagine two kinds of products:

• Low demand uncertainty, low value products.

Examples of such products are daily groceries or toilet paper. These have consistent demand and low value. So it makes sense to make these available near customers as the cost of shipping these products from a centralized warehouse is probably going to exceed the cost of these products. Besides, we’re not going to lose money on wasted stock since it is fairly straightforward to predict their near-constant demand.
  • High demand uncertainty, high value products.

A great example of these are diamonds. It is very expensive to carry diamond inventory. So shipping them from a centralized warehouse makes a lot of sense since the shipping costs are small relative to the value of the diamond.

This, in turn, leads to the next natural step in the logic:

• It is very expensive for online retailers like Amazon to ship low uncertainty, low value products like diapers and toilet paper. So they should only do so if customers are willing to pay a premium for the convenience. While basic items like diapers and toilet paper are cheaper at Costco, one could make the argument that Amazon is still subsidizing shipping costs far too much as the prices are still comparable. And Amazon’s financials in the past few years have reflected higher shipping costs.
  • Similarly, it is very expensive for physical stores to carry expensive inventory. This is why Tiffany sells most of its diamonds online and sells cheaper products via its retail stores. Still, keeping even some of its diamonds in physical locations is expensive, and that means Tiffany should only do so for customers willing to pay a premium for that. And they do. Tiffany’s margins are much larger than Blue Nile. This isn’t a luxury for Tiffany — it is a necessity.
We’ve only discussed the two extremes in this graph. What about everything in the middle? The reality for most large retailers is that they carry products that are scattered all over the graph. This, in turn, leads us to the final natural conclusion: It is in the interest of larger retailers to develop hybrid/”omni-channel” distribution strategies. This is why retail models such as “click-and-collect” have become popular in Europe.

Essentially, it is in the interest of Amazon to have physical locations to complement its online offerings. There are three massive advantages to doing so:

• It can leverage its incredible scale to truly be the retailer with the lowest prices – across its physical and online stores. Amazon store diapers will be the cheapest in the market. If you want to buy them online, however, you should be prepared to pay a premium for the convenience.
  • It can use its physical locations as warehouses for “Prime Now” and “Fresh” offerings.
  • Amazon has the data and analytics capabilities to be smarter about its inventory in physical retail locations than any of its competitors. This means it can have a real cost advantage — a big advantage in a traditionally low margin business.
As is the case with many things in life, the answer in picking the right distribution strategy lies in replacing “or” with “and.”

And at the rate at which Amazon has added businesses to its portfolio in the past decade, one could make the argument that few understand that idea better than Amazon and Jeff Bezos.

(HT: Prof Chopra’s work on Omni-Channel retailing @ Kellogg)

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: Amazon, distribution strategy, MBA Learnings, retail, strategy, supply chain Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.34
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 09:54
Hi guys!! There is some good news for applicants who received a waiver(I received one and was confused too). There have been lots of debates over the past week as to whether waiver means a dinge and also as to whether Kellogg does an initial screening before calling applicants for an interview. I happened to speak to a member of the admissions committee at Kellogg and he completely dismissed these points. According to him, Kellogg's interview invites are based on when the application was submitted and also is just a random process of inviting applicants based on alum availability at various locations. In places like India, where the applicant pool is growing tremendously, its not possible to interview many applicants and hence the waiver. Also, he said that an application is not opened until an interview is conducted(expect of course in case of a waiver) and there is no initial screening whatsoever conducted for interview calls. If what he says is true, I think we have a lot of hope. Lets not feel as though we have not received invites because of a weak application. Guys, lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!!!! :)

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1685 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 13:38
arvindmba wrote:
Hi guys!! There is some good news for applicants who received a waiver(I received one and was confused too). There have been lots of debates over the past week as to whether waiver means a dinge and also as to whether Kellogg does an initial screening before calling applicants for an interview. I happened to speak to a member of the admissions committee at Kellogg and he completely dismissed these points. According to him, Kellogg's interview invites are based on when the application was submitted and also is just a random process of inviting applicants based on alum availability at various locations. In places like India, where the applicant pool is growing tremendously, its not possible to interview many applicants and hence the waiver. Also, he said that an application is not opened until an interview is conducted(expect of course in case of a waiver) and there is no initial screening whatsoever conducted for interview calls. If what he says is true, I think we have a lot of hope. Lets not feel as though we have not received invites because of a weak application. Guys, lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!!!! :)

This is not new. Kellogg mentions the same information on its website as well that getting a waiver is in no way a ding or is not a rejection of your application.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Kudos [?]: 1685 [0], given: 792

Current Student

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.34
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 09:06
Engr2012 wrote:
arvindmba wrote:

This is not new. Kellogg mentions the same information on its website as well that getting a waiver is in no way a ding or is not a rejection of your application.

I agree with you. But, if you look at the forum, there have been debates as to whether they do an initial screening and then waive applicants. According to the committee member, they don't and this is what I wanted to share. It definitely was positive news for me. Hope it makes sense!!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 22:49
Did anybody who got a waiver earlier received an interview call yet?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2015, 22:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  58    Next  [ 1148 posts ]