GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 21:04
iissosmarts wrote:
Defacto404 wrote:
arvindmba wrote:
Hii guys...I received an interview waiver mail a while back from Kellogg . Don't know what to make of it and obviously not sure whether I will receive a skype interview invite later....fingers crossed!!!! :) I chose Mumbai as my choice for interview place. Any other Indian applicants who have received waivers or invites??

I received an interview waiver about an hour ago as well. Mumbai was my chosen location too.

Recieved a waiver. From Mumbai too.

Same here. Chose Mumbai as interview location - got a waiver email a few hours back
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 21:22
Waiver. From Bangalore. Now we wait till November end to know/ascertain our fates.
Current Student
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 22:03
Received waiver. From New Delhi.
Don't know what to make of it!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 22:21
ashumba wrote:
Received waiver. From New Delhi.
Don't know what to make of it!

Waivers are common to indian applicants. (such a large pool we are!). It doesn't harm your chances at all. Now if you were to get an interview call, that would certainly mean that Kellogg is interested in you. Waiver, as of now, doesn't change the status quo, except that your application should be reviewed shortly.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 22:23
Received a waiver. I had opted for interview in Hyderabad.

Aditto

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 23:40
Waiver here as well.
This makes me think about one person from Bangalore who was interviewed via Skype :-O

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 23:45
Waiver received. Had opted to interview in Chennai.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 00:17
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but if I remember correctly, hardly anyone was interviewed after being waived last year. Maybe just one person on GMAT club if I remember correctly, but otherwise nada. Just something to keep in mind in case you want to rein in your expectations, but for the optimistic ones out there, you could be that one person!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 00:33
FurrowedBrow wrote:
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but if I remember correctly, hardly anyone was interviewed after being waived last year. Maybe just one person on GMAT club if I remember correctly, but otherwise nada. Just something to keep in mind in case you want to rein in your expectations, but for the optimistic ones out there, you could be that one person!

I understand what you saying. But why would they do that? I mean they could well sit on the application till the results are out, without sending all these emails. Just discussing. Also if I am correct, they did not send waiver mails to too many people last time, did they?
Also what baffles me more is that why wouldn't they take virtual interviews(Skype) if there is shortage of alums or something( this supports what you're saying)!

As I said earlier also, I don't know that to make of their email!
Current Student
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 01:19
ashumba wrote:

I understand what you saying. But why would they do that? I mean they could well sit on the application till the results are out, without sending all these emails. Just discussing. Also if I am correct, they did not send waiver mails to too many people last time, did they?
Also what baffles me more is that why wouldn't they take virtual interviews(Skype) if there is shortage of alums or something( this supports what you're saying)!

Kellogg wants to interview everyone who applies. But I presume that because there are too many Indian applicants, they have to waive interviews. They can't just sit on the application because they made a claim that they are going to interview everyone who applies. Hence, they email saying "hey, we might still interview you like we said (but probably not)".

I remember a fairly large number of (Indian) people getting waived but I could be wrong. I could be way off base here but personally, I felt like Kellogg's process for Indians was neither transparent nor consistent. I think they don't take Skype interviews for everyone (even if they could) because there is definitely some pre-screening going on. In any case, last year's process was such a turn-off for me, I didn't feel like reapplying this year. Probably a stupid reason not to apply, but c'est la vie.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 01:49
FurrowedBrow wrote:
ashumba wrote:

Kellogg wants to interview everyone who applies. But I presume that because there are too many Indian applicants, they have to waive interviews. They can't just sit on the application because they made a claim that they are going to interview everyone who applies. Hence, they email saying "hey, we might still interview you like we said (but probably not)".

I remember a fairly large number of (Indian) people getting waived but I could be wrong. I could be way off base here but personally, I felt like Kellogg's process for Indians was neither transparent nor consistent. I think they don't take Skype interviews for everyone (even if they could) because there is definitely some pre-screening going on. In any case, last year's process was such a turn-off for me, I didn't feel like reapplying this year. Probably a stupid reason not to apply, but c'est la vie.

Sounds logical. I mean what kind of AdCom would not first sort the most prospective(top-notch) candidates for interviews and then process the rest. The 'waiver' thing could not be random, of course. They must have taken the interview of 'creamy layer' first and okey-ish people would be kept for last. If some sort of 'bug' come out of few 'creamy-layer' in the interview, some of the okey-ish, near the decision-deadline, would be called for interview, in turn. Of course that's my wild-wild guess. :)

My fingers are only slightly-crossed now! :)
Manager
Manager
What we learned co-chairing Kellogg’s BMA Conference  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What we learned co-chairing Kellogg’s BMA Conference

By Shani Taylor and Shannon Turner

In 2013, during our first ever visit to campus, we attended Kellogg’s Diversity Preview Weekend. During this weekend, diverse candidates interested in Kellogg had the unique opportunity to connect with current and prospective students and alumni, and also gain a deep understanding of what the Kellogg community offers.

One example of student-led leadership we experienced first-hand that weekend was the 27th Annual Black Management Association (BMA) Conference.

The BMA Conference left an indelible mark on each of us. From its theme, “Cultural Capital: Cross-Cultural Influence in the Global Marketplace,” to thought-provoking speakers like Steve Stoute, Deanie Elsner, and Nneka Rimmer (KSM ‘01), it was clear to us that Kellogg was the type of community that celebrated student leadership, fostered engaging conversation and valued the importance of bringing students together to hear the experiences of influential leaders within the Black community.

Attending the conference solidified our interest in Kellogg and confirmed that the community was one where we felt we would not only be welcome, but could also thrive. Moreover, it triggered our desire to ultimately serve as co-chairs of the conference during our second year.

The theme of this year’s conference was “Courageous Leadership: Disrupting the Status Quo.” As co-chairs, our vision was to perpetuate the long-standing tradition and strength of the longest-running conference at Kellogg. It was our distinct goal to create a worthwhile conference that was forward thinking, would attract a diverse audience and would leave them inspired to be better leaders.

Understanding the importance of peer leadership, we set out to select a committed, highly motivated team that would help us fulfill this vision. From the planning phase to the day of the conference, we learned a tremendous amount through co-chairing such a significant event.

Community engagement
Realizing that a conference hosted by an affinity group could appear exclusionary, one of our key priorities was to ensure that the greater Kellogg community felt welcome and saw the value in attending the conference. We sought out “allies” — our peers from various affinity groups, clubs and social circles — to help us promote the event via video clips; in these clips they emphasized their personal interest in the conference and theme.

Through regular meetings with the allies, we learned that it was important to clearly communicate the “what’s in it for me” aspect — the fact that the conference promoted a collection of speakers not only diverse in their racial backgrounds, but also through the industries, perspectives, companies and experiences they represented.

We also learned that we needed to dispel the notion that the conference was solely for Black people. We took this feedback and used it as the foundation of an email to the entire Kellogg community where we personally invited everyone to attend and, most importantly, discussed what the conference was not.

Multi-channel marketing

What would a student event at Kellogg be without stellar marketing? Being at Kellogg, we learn a lot about audience segmentation and communicating a specific value to those segments.

For prospective students, our main message was that the conference provided a unique opportunity to explore Kellogg and see the student-led culture in action.

For current students, it was an opportunity to learn more about how to succeed in various industries and gain exposure to innovation.

Finally, for alumni, it was an opportunity to see how the BMA Conference legacy has advanced and to continue to connect with the Kellogg community.

Our team wanted to go beyond the typical flyer promotional tactics and instead sought to really hone in on the power of social media and FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). We knew this would be a different approach, but we felt a responsibility to try something new. As such, we set up a table in the Atrium at Jacobs and a custom, branded picture frame to excite our peers and demonstrate the diverse members of the Kellogg community who supported the conference. The posting of videos and pictures allowed the BMA Conference to remain top-of-mind to the community.

Leading vs. Experiencing
We knew that co-chairing the conference meant we would experience the day in a very different way. It was so important to us that everything went smoothly, prospectives had a great time and that all the attendees left feeling motivated.

We focused on the experience of the audience throughout the process of planning and promoting. On the day of, this focus on continued. For example, we piloted the use of the SpeakUp app to invite the audience to feel comfortable asking questions following each talk.

All in all, it was apparent that our audience had a great experience, from the networking opportunities to the takeaways following the stimulating talks.

In case you missed the conference, one of our panelists, Zipporah Gatiti, was kind enough to share some key takeaways with us (learn more about Zipporah and how she’s revolutionizing the Kenyan coffee industry):

• “To know others is intelligence, to know who you are is wisdom.”
  • “You are all going to be successful, that’s a given. However, what is important is to be significant.”
  • “Do you! Be yourself, be unique and remember, your career is not what you do, it is just one expression of who you are.”
  • “What’s meant for you will never miss you; what’s not meant for you will miss you.”
  • “Be discerning about how you spend your time and who you spend your time with.”
  • “We all have work to do, great leaders don’t shrug from challenge, they rise to the occasion … are you ready?”
We hope to see you all next year at the 2016 BMA Conference!

Shani Taylor is currently a second-year student in Kellogg’s MMM program. In addition to serving as a leader within the Black Management Association, Shani is a leader in the PEVC community at Kellogg and mentors Chicago area youth through the Inner City Mentoring Program. She spent her summer working as an investment associate at Intel Capital and will soon focus her efforts on planning the Spring 2016 Private Equity and Venture Capital Conference.

Shannon Turner is currently a second-year student in Kellogg’s Two-Year MBA program. Shannon also serves as a leader within Kellogg’s Retail + Luxury Goods Club and was a member of the Day at Kellogg (DAK) executive team. Prior to Kellogg, she worked as a senior Management Consultant with KPMG LLP and spent her summer working as a Brand Manager at Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: black management association, BMA, Conference, diversity, Diversity Preview Day, leadership, student clubs Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 09:45
Had my interview on campus earlier today with an Admissions Committee member.

She was very friendly and intelligent, took lots of notes. She was interested in my company so we spent the beginning of the conversation talking about the history of my company.

The questions were similar to what others have posted both here and on other websites. Lots of questions about personal strengths/weaknesses/leadership/challenges ect. It was a pretty rapid fire discussion so be ready!

We took pretty much the entire hour. Not sure if thats good or bad!

Hopefully it went well. ~7 weeks until D-Day.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '18 (S)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 12:36
Not many of the waived applicants last year received interview call. Is waiver an early ding? Roughly how much time it requires for the ADCOM to invite for an interview after waiver?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '18 (A)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 13:02
Is a waiver an early ding, or a compliment "you're good, we understand your credentials, we'll let you know'
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 16:14
I can't believe I have to wait another 6 weeks! This is brutal.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Tuck '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GRE 1: Q163 V156
GPA: 3.76
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 19:10
TheLostOne wrote:

I feel like TheLostOne here. I find getting caught up in projects at work is a great way to pass the time. For instance, I am pulling in personal deadlines in order to re-orient my perspective on time.

Anyone else finding effective distraction techniques?
Manager
Manager
Notes from my Big Data and Analytics course | MBA Learnings  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Notes from my Big Data and Analytics course | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

This past summer, technology analyst Benedict Evans shared an interesting image from a classic 1960 film “The Apartment.” The scene is set in the office of a large insurance company in New York – drones laid out at desks almost as far at the eye can see. Each desk has a telephone, rolodex, typewriter and a large electro-mechanical calculating machine.

As Ben points out, “In effect, every person on that floor is a cell in a spreadsheet. The floor is a worksheet and the building is an Excel file, with thousands of cells each containing a single person. The links between cells are made up of a typewriter, carbon copies (‘CC’) and an internal mail system, and it takes days to refresh whenever someone on the top floor presses ‘F9’.”

(Incidentally, as the protagonists are a desk worker and an elevator attendant, this is actually a romance between a button and a spreadsheet cell.)

It is clear that the capabilities of analysis tools in 1960 were far below our ability to analyze them today. So Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet programs offered huge benefits simply because they helped bridge the gap between the average manager’s ability to analyze data and the tools available to do so. This, in turn, spurred businesses to collect more data in the hope of extracting insights. So, over the late 1990s and the 2000s, every junior consultant and investment banker became an Excel ninja. Being able to use the tool to the best extent possible added real value.

All was well. Until “big data” entered the picture.

Excel spreadsheets had a major capacity upgrade recently that finally allowed a million rows. However, that makes it massively inadequate for a real world “big data” dataset.

So, what is “big data?”

The consensus is that big data refers to data sets that have 3 V’s – volume (i.e. size), velocity (speed of data in and out) and variety (range of data types and sources). These data sets are in the size of hundreds of millions of rows with inputs coming in every second. To imagine a big data set, imagine a massive spreadsheet that receives point-of-sale data for McDonalds or Wal-Mart in real-time.

The next question, then, is how do we make sense of all of this? It is hard to have a simple answer to this “big” question. So, I’ll share a couple of observations from my big data and analytics classes:

• As any person who has analyzed data in Excel will tell you, you can make your data tell any number of stories. The presence of large amounts of data doesn’t change that fact. If anything, it becomes easier to manipulate the data to tell the story you want.
  • Additionally, the biggest problem plaguing poor analysis – mixing correlation and causality – definitely doesn’t go away. While correlation can be instructive in itself (sophisticated retailers have used correlated buys successfully to push the right coupons), it is dangerous to imply causal relationships because of a number of reasons – e.g. there could be a third effect that causes both.
  • Big data has increased our ability to experiment with different campaigns and messages. However, unless the experiments are well designed and executed with groups that are perfectly random (or close), these results can be erroneous.
  • In some ways, this gets to the root of the fundamental issue with analysis – analysis, by itself, is generally useless. Analysis, supported by business judgment, can be incredibly powerful.
  • The effect of this issue gets magnified when we have huge amounts of data. There are often more variables than we know what to do with. And, while machine learning tools like neural networks can help us find relationships between them, they won’t mean much if they aren’t combined with good business judgment.
All this leads me to conclude that we’re now in a situation that is very different from the 1960s picture we started with. At that time, an average manager’s analysis capabilities were far ahead of the tools and data available. Now, it is safe to say that the tools and data available far outstrip the average manager’s analysis capabilities. Forget the average manager, it is safe to say that even the most sophisticated managers will struggle with driving the right analysis and then interpreting the results right.

While we can expect the tools to become easier in five to 10 years, the need for analysis and insights are not going to go away any time soon.

If, by chance, you are wondering why I am not referencing sophisticated data science teams that exist to solve this problem in leading companies, I’d like to go back to the key driver of great analysis – “good business judgment.” The ideal analyst is someone who combines amazing tool capability with business judgment. Very few of these people exist. Great analysis is driven by managers AND data scientists. And for managers to work well with data scientists, they need to become good consumers of analysis.

So, if there’s one thing I’ve taken away from these classes, it is the importance of doing whatever it takes to get on board the big data train.

For those who don’t plan to attend graduate school, consider online courses in statistics that cover basic statistics tools. Open source tools like R make it easy for anyone to be analytically savvy.

And if you are fortunate enough to attend a graduate school that is emphasizing big data and analytics, take full advantage of the opportunity.

I am certainly trying to do so.

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: big data, classwork, data analytics, MBA Learnings Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

BSchool Thread Master
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 08:59
I am applying for a new job, just in case...
And I am keeping myself busy by preparing for the job interview :D
ichbinklug2003 wrote:
TheLostOne wrote:

I feel like TheLostOne here. I find getting caught up in projects at work is a great way to pass the time. For instance, I am pulling in personal deadlines in order to re-orient my perspective on time.

Anyone else finding effective distraction techniques?
Current Student
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 09:59
Interview Waived. Chose Bangalore :(

If only this meant that I was so good, they didn't need to interview me.
Unfortunately doesn't seem so :-D
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 30 Oct 2015, 09:59

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  58    Next  [ 1149 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Gnpth

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap