It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 08:18
I am from Bangalore. Got interviewed on skype. I think yours will be coming soon as well :)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Reflecting on my summer internship | MBA Learnings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Reflecting on my summer internship | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

I was very curious about the graduate student internship experience. After a few years of work experience as a full-timer, I figured it might be a bit strange to go back with the intern badge. I also wondered what elements of my approach to work would be different after a year in business school.

First up, wearing the intern badge wasn’t strange at all. It helped that we had about 25 other MBA interns as part of our intern class this summer at LinkedIn. In fact, it regularly felt like a place of privilege – we were treated incredibly well, and I regularly felt very fortunate to be given the opportunity to do what I was doing.

My approach to work did feel different. Here are three things that stood out:

1. I adapted my productivity system from school for work purposes.

I previously wrote about a simple system I used through my first year  – in a nutshell, it involves color coding my calendar based on the four priorities at school (career, academics, extra-curricular and social) and doing a weekly review to check how I was doing. I ported the system to my internship. The new priorities were:

• Core project
  • Other projects
  • People
  • Intern events
I found it to be just as useful in facilitating an intentional and reflective approach to work.

I don’t think I experienced the full power of the system because my “core projects” were fairly well scoped out. I think the system’s benefits really show up when there’s a multitude of priorities pulling you in different directions. I’m looking forward to continue to refine this system for work purposes when I’m back at work after school.

2. I proactively met people.

One of the beautiful parts of graduate school is setting up time for a quick coffee/walk when you want to get to know someone. As I generally avoid the big bar/party settings, I did plenty of these “coffee” catch ups through my first year. This was a very helpful habit going into the internship as I got to both know, and learn, from people I didn’t directly work with. It is something I should continue to do when I get back to work next year.

3. I worked off a more solid foundation.

Many times, I felt grateful for my core courses and the fact that I could call on my professors if I needed help (and I did). The best way to describe the benefits of a good graduate business education is that it gives you a set of basic tools that helps you be more effective. I liken education to wearing a different pair of glasses. It fundamentally changes the way you see the world without you realizing it.

I did also walk away with a sense of urgency in terms of things I needed to learn.

That brings me to next steps. I took away three next steps from my internship experience:

1. Take the time to understand what you will need to be successful at your chosen craft in 3-5 years.

This is part of an ongoing and iterative process in my case. I’ve decided to go back to LinkedIn and plan on working my way toward building and managing web/mobile products in the next three-to-five years. And I am currently focused on understanding what skills I need to develop in the coming year to give myself a good start.

2. Take courses that will be relevant.

While I’m grateful for the core courses, I’m also really excited about taking courses that are relevant. For instance, I’m taking two courses from our cutting edge ‘Big Data & Analytics’ curriculum, and I intend to continue exploring courses that will be relevant to my journey.

3. Enjoy student life.

My time away from school made me appreciate the joys of student life. As this is likely my last ever year of student life, I intend to make the most of it. Among other things, that means taking time to have many more wonderful conversations with friends and plenty of afternoon naps.

Looking forward.

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Career, Student Life Tagged: Advice, internship, life lessons, LinkedIn, MBA Learnings, summer internship Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:14
chesterstreet wrote:
ichbinklug2003 wrote:
chesterstreet wrote:
Does anyone have an idea on the text of the report sent by the interviewer to the school? I mean is it subjective, or objective or detailed or just a recommendation on whether the interviewer recommends the candidate or not?

There really isn't very much info online pertaining to what is contained in the alumni reports. I would bet that there is a confidentiality clause that the interviewers must abide by so as not to skew future interviewee's behavior. I imagine the interviewer's feedback is like a trustworthy letter of rec, which might include some subjective info, plus maybe a handful of 1-10 rankings, giving an overall objective flavor.

I could be way off on the particulars of my speculation, but that kind of evaluation seems like it would help round out the other info submitted with the Kellogg app.

During my interview(and probably during other's as well), the interviewer emphasized a lot on the point that 'this wasn't a formal interview' and a conversation to know me better as a person.
So my guess is the same.. They are just trying to know us as a person and probably write about us in the same way. Maybe some questions and rankings etc. Two things that probably are interpreted by the adcom from this :
1. ranking - whether these match with the type of content and reco's they get. Obviously they trust their alumni more than the face value of our essays and recos.
2. They understand what kind of people we are. :P like the first impressions etc. Good to talk to, pleasing and humorous nature etc etc.

Thats what I could understand from my 'research' on specifically Kellogg interviews. May not apply to other interviews. Maybe im wrong for Kellogg also!!

Kudos!!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:24
Vanathi20 wrote:
Does anyone have an idea as to when we will be told about interview waivers?

From what I have read in various posts, my understanding is that they wont tell you if its a waiver or not.
They seem to divide the list (of applicants), and send interview invites to 'one' bunch of candidates, and meanwhile start reading the 'other' bunch's applications.
So the 'first' bunch becomes the Invited to interview bunch. and the second becomes the waiver bunch, if they cant get kellogg alumni's to take their interviews. If alumni's are available, they send invites to candidates from the other bunch as well.
However, even if you are in the waiver bunch, they don't tell you explicitly. The application is just read first, and then they decide whether to invite for interview or not.
It's then that you'll come to know/hear anything from them. (i.e. the final decision)

So, to answer your question, I dont think they send out any such notification for waivers.

Kudos!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Tuck '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 08:16
SherLocked2018 wrote:
chesterstreet wrote:
ichbinklug2003 wrote:

There really isn't very much info online pertaining to what is contained in the alumni reports. I would bet that there is a confidentiality clause that the interviewers must abide by so as not to skew future interviewee's behavior. I imagine the interviewer's feedback is like a trustworthy letter of rec, which might include some subjective info, plus maybe a handful of 1-10 rankings, giving an overall objective flavor.

I could be way off on the particulars of my speculation, but that kind of evaluation seems like it would help round out the other info submitted with the Kellogg app.

During my interview(and probably during other's as well), the interviewer emphasized a lot on the point that 'this wasn't a formal interview' and a conversation to know me better as a person.
So my guess is the same.. They are just trying to know us as a person and probably write about us in the same way. Maybe some questions and rankings etc. Two things that probably are interpreted by the adcom from this :
1. ranking - whether these match with the type of content and reco's they get. Obviously they trust their alumni more than the face value of our essays and recos.
2. They understand what kind of people we are. :P like the first impressions etc. Good to talk to, pleasing and humorous nature etc etc.

Thats what I could understand from my 'research' on specifically Kellogg interviews. May not apply to other interviews. Maybe im wrong for Kellogg also!!

Agreed SherLocked2018. Kellogg has poured a ton of effort into recruiting sharp interpersonal abilities into their program. Because Kellogg holds an applicant's people skills as one of the most important profile attributes, it makes sense they would want one of their own to screen every applicant and not miss any great potentials.

You can read about how the man with the vision, former Dean Don Jacobs, pioneered the b-school interview process here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/03/busin ... wanted=all

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

BSchool Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 17:12
Had my interview today.
Interviewer was a very nice lady. Went to a Business Strategy class later and it was really cool. There was a lot of cold calling and a lot more jokes. I felt students were well engaged in the class as well.
Back to the interview,
Usual questions...
Why MBA?
What did you do at your work - and a lot of discussion about that?
What qualities do you think should a leader have?
Why not the MMM program? (this question arose since my stated goals for MBA fit well with the MMM program)
Any weakness's you want to overcome?
What would your co-workers say about you?
Were you in any situation where you had to deal with a challenging person?
What courses would you take at Kellogg? ( A variation of this)
What's the most challenging thing in your job?
What clubs would you take part in at Kellogg?
What unique experiences would you bring to your class? - I fumbled here
Do you want to add anything else? I said No which I now realize is a mistake :D
Any questions for me?

Also, for the people going for an on-campus interview, go in at least an hour early, it's very difficult to find parking (I got a $100 parking ticket as a souvenir). And FYI 1.6 miles in Evanston is >15 mins which sucks.

The campus was very beautiful this time of the year. You could spend a day just walking around or by the boardwalk.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 195

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Technology

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 19:24
This post received
KUDOS
MV23 wrote:
Had my interview today.
Interviewer was a very nice lady. Went to a Business Strategy class later and it was really cool. There was a lot of cold calling and a lot more jokes. I felt students were well engaged in the class as well.
Back to the interview,
Usual questions...
Why MBA?
What did you do at your work - and a lot of discussion about that?
What qualities do you think should a leader have?
Why not the MMM program? (this question arose since my stated goals for MBA fit well with the MMM program)
Any weakness's you want to overcome?
What would your co-workers say about you?
Were you in any situation where you had to deal with a challenging person?
What courses would you take at Kellogg? ( A variation of this)
What's the most challenging thing in your job?
What clubs would you take part in at Kellogg?
What unique experiences would you bring to your class? - I fumbled here
Do you want to add anything else? I said No which I now realize is a mistake :D
Any questions for me?

Also, for the people going for an on-campus interview, go in at least an hour early, it's very difficult to find parking (I got a $100 parking ticket as a souvenir). And FYI 1.6 miles in Evanston is >15 mins which sucks.

The campus was very beautiful this time of the year. You could spend a day just walking around or by the boardwalk.

I had my interview today as well and second the parking situation. Highly recommend to cab or uber.

MV23 - Best of luck in December

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 08:10
:?:

Last edited by asa2107 on 24 Oct 2015, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 142

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 13:28
tavishsrivastava wrote:
I am from Bangalore. Got interviewed on skype. I think yours will be coming soon as well :)

Tavish, congratulations on completing your interview!

When did you get the interview invite? Did your interviewer have the same professional profile (or background) as yours? One last question, when had you submitted your application?

Thank you!

And, all the best with the results :)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 142

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 22:01
No communication yet. Nervous.

Aditto

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 22:22
Anybody from Chennai interviewed yet? Anxious :(

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 22:24
joe26219 wrote:

Chennai too and no invite! I guess there are abt three of us in the forum :(

Current Student

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 23:04
Dhivya89 wrote:
joe26219 wrote:

A Kellogg Alum sitting right in this building! Yet :roll:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 23:08
joe26219 wrote:
Dhivya89 wrote:
joe26219 wrote:

A Kellogg Alum sitting right in this building! Yet :roll:

And where is that? :O anyways oly hope is to stay calm :/

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 23:13
Anyone of you applied with your spouse (as a couple) and got interview invites for both? Or one of you ?

Kudos!!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 23:20
Anybody from Chennai interviewed yet? Anxious :([/quote]

A Kellogg Alum sitting right in this building! Yet :roll:[/quote]

And where is that? :O anyways oly hope is to stay calm :/[/quote]

If you guys look at the last year's forum, invites continued to be sent deep into the month of november. Not just 1 or 2, but in bulk. Kellogg generally invites most of the candidates for the interview, as we all know. Thus, it's way too early to give up hope. Kellogg is very different from the rest of the schools in inviting candidates for the interviews. I guess Tuck is another that comes close in adopting a similar strategy for interview invites.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2015, 23:51
Anyone from Hyderabad interviewed yet?

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 05:51
RKTW wrote:

I am from Hyderabad- nothing yet.

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1298 [0], given: 819

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 06:23
RKTW wrote:

Hyderabadi here as well. Nada ...

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1298 [0], given: 819

Current Student

Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 06:26
ankurgupta03 wrote:
RKTW wrote:

Hyderabadi here as well. Nada ...

Also from Hyderabad, no interview yet.

Aditto

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2015, 06:26

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  58    Next  [ 1148 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: Gnpth

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap