Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [16]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [4]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [2]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Send PM
Re: Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Ditto with 'A'.Almost all of the official explanations state to eliminate the answer choices which talk about the success/failure of the similar plan in some other region. Again, this should also apply to this question as no where in the question it's mentioned that there is similarity in the behavior/consumer habits in Europe and America.

of late GMAT has been defying almost every statement made by most prep companies. in fact recently a friend of mine took gmat and reported that he was facing questions in which all choices were having "being"!!
as i told u this also perplexed me initially but then we have to select the choice that is best out worst

Quote:
why not C?

C is straight out . C is no where near premise and conclusion . we are talking about "financial incentives" so any choice that is NOT TALKING about financial incentives should be ignored straight way. in fact i did not even glance C more than 5 sec !! most of my time was wasted on breaking the shackles in which A has many times in the past been wrapped ( AS explained above in my first post)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [2]
Send PM
Re: Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in [#permalink]
Kudos
Still I am not satisfied with the whole question.:)
There is some respite as it is not an official question. Hopefully GMAT will not put us in a such a dilemma.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Still I am not satisfied with the whole question.:)

is your "non satisfaction" based on the fact that A is defying some set pattern of official answers ,because if that is the case then u will up for surprise as one official question has even defied that pattern !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 530 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V26
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
solitaryreaper wrote:
Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in the United States. Plastic bags present a problem for the environment because they do not readily decompose, but will remain intact for thousands of years. Policy makers agree that the best solution to the problem is to convince people to bring their own shopping bags so that they do not need disposable plastic bags. Therefore, the U.S. government should implement a tax on disposable plastic bags because this will have the desired effect of dramatically decreasing the number of plastic bags discarded each day in the United States.

Which of the following provides the strongest reason to believe that the plan to levy a tax on disposable plastic bags will be successful in greatly reducing the number of plastic bags being discarded?

A)A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year.

B)Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded.

C)Some customers are very concerned about the environmental impacts of plastic bags and will bring reusable bags without any financial incentive.

D)The bill has substantial support with the Congressional delegations of many states and with the current administration.

E)The bill could be implemented and the tax collected using a very simple addition to the programming of electronic cash registers.

I am not satisfied with the official answer. Please provide explanation for the choice you chose.
Thanks

These are the questions which sometimes make me doubt my critical reasoning ability:

1> In strengthen questions one can choose an option if the alternative methods to resolve an issue at hand is not resolved (option B)
2> option A says if something happened in A region, we are safe to assume same thing to happen in different part of the world (no reasonable solution but OE)

which one takes the priority? I wish I could search all the questions on veritas question bank to support my first statement but sleepy now!

Ravi
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
solitaryreaper wrote:
Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in the United States. Plastic bags present a problem for the environment because they do not readily decompose, but will remain intact for thousands of years. Policy makers agree that the best solution to the problem is to convince people to bring their own shopping bags so that they do not need disposable plastic bags. Therefore, the U.S. government should implement a tax on disposable plastic bags because this will have the desired effect of dramatically decreasing the number of plastic bags discarded each day in the United States.

Which of the following provides the strongest reason to believe that the plan to levy a tax on disposable plastic bags will be successful in greatly reducing the number of plastic bags being discarded?

A)A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year.

B)Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded.

C)Some customers are very concerned about the environmental impacts of plastic bags and will bring reusable bags without any financial incentive.

D)The bill has substantial support with the Congressional delegations of many states and with the current administration.

E)The bill could be implemented and the tax collected using a very simple addition to the programming of electronic cash registers.

I am not satisfied with the official answer. Please provide explanation for the choice you chose.
Thanks

Can someone change the Source of this question to "Veritas"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I agree with your reasoning , however, the line of reasoning that if certain measures were successful/failure in one region they must be true for the other region stands wrong when talking about failures, specifically. Say, the question asked to weaken the argument and option said that the plan was a failure in 90% of European nations, in that case this will definitely be the wrong answer. In opposite questions this reasoning might be true. While I am not supporting the fact that this will be the best option, however in such scenarios do not eliminate this choice and consider it while comparing to other options you may think stand true. In this case, there is no better option. 'B' follows the exact reasoning I refuted previously that if a plan 'A' is not so successful then its opposite must be successful.
Hope this helps.
aditya8062 wrote:
i selected A in this: A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year

though i took a bit longer time to do this question (3 min 16 sec) . i eliminated all the choice other than A and B (C D and E are easy to eliminate) .i was little wary about A initially because many instructors have noticed this trend that if we are talking about the success of certain plan then the option which specifically talks about the success of that same plan in some other region is not credited as answer . but here i feel this should not be the case because the language of B is giving a tinge of a probable failure of the plan.

B says: Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded----->so indirectly B is suggesting that financial benefits will yield few results if possible, after all out whole argument is standing on the ground that "financial benefits" will give good results to this plan

i strongly believe that had B been (modified B) : Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in large decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded--->then B would have been a contender !!

Quote:
I am not satisfied with the official answer.

honestly there is no scope of such thing with official prep questions .GMAC is always right!! BTW which options were bothering you?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
A for me too

was stuck between A and C.and when i re-read C it said SOME this some won't have that much desired effect than choice A which says 90% .from 10 consumers 9 are not using this choice weakens more than others
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi all,
in my 2 cents,option C may even weaken the argument.
We are given that now millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded daily.Saying that "some customers are very concerned about the environmental impacts of plastic bags and will bring reusable bags without any financial incentive" means even some are already concerned about the environment the number of discard plastic is high;hence,the new policy may not work.

+1 A
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
How does A have any bearing how this plan in the US will work out? generally all ACs using examples of other countries, similar events elsewhere etc are wrong in GMAT.

For me there was no correct answer in this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 834
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Send PM
plan to levy a tax on disposable plastic bags will be successful in greatly reducing the number of plastic bags being discarded?

We need to find an evidence or support which proves that plan to tax will be successful, choice A gives an example that similar plan was successful in Europe

CHOICE C - has nothing to do with plan - some( 1- 100) are self-motivated and concerned to reduce the environmental damage, whether any plan exist or doesn't exist is not going to make any change in their motivation level
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
This choice is the best choice through process of elimination and provides an evidence of the success of a similar plan by providing analogy.

out of scope and alos does not impact the feasibilty of the plan

the number of customers is limited and are refered as 'some',which does not provide the clear picture of how many customers are concern so not good answer

Out of scope since the support is for the passing of bill not the successfull implementation of the bill.

the ease of implementation of the bill does not garentee the success thereofre not a good choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
abhishekdadarwal2009 wrote:
This choice is the best choice through process of elimination and provides an evidence of the success of a similar plan by providing analogy.

out of scope and alos does not impact the feasibilty of the plan

the number of customers is limited and are refered as 'some',which does not provide the clear picture of how many customers are concern so not good answer

Out of scope since the support is for the passing of bill not the successfull implementation of the bill.

the ease of implementation of the bill does not garentee the success thereofre not a good choice.

Though I selected A, I'm not fully convinced.
Just because levying tax in Europe has led to s 90% drop in the disposal of plastic bags does NOT mean that the same will necessarily hold true for the United States.

Out of the lot, For the lack of a better choice, I would go with A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
solitaryreaper wrote:

Thanks

This is a very poor question. If option A can be justified then Option D & E can also be justified by saying that in Option D, the bill can be easily converted into a law and people will have no choice . Similarly in E, if there is a simple effort towards operational costs, retailers will also support the cause.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15267 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RK84 wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:

Thanks

This is a very poor question. If option A can be justified then Option D & E can also be justified by saying that in Option D, the bill can be easily converted into a law and people will have no choice . Similarly in E, if there is a simple effort towards operational costs, retailers will also support the cause.

A friendly advice: an official question is never poor. In order to have a high score, one must align his / her thinking in line with the official questions, i.e. try to understand why an option is correct or wrong, rather than decide whether an answer is correct or wrong.

A: If a plan has already been successful, there are good chances that it would again be successful. This question is not about conclusion, but about support. If it were an inference type question, the answer would be wrong.

D: Support from a group of people who are not experts in the field does not help determine whether the plan will be effective. If instead of "congress delegations", something like "tax implementation experts" or "social psychology experts" (any group of experts who are capable of determining whether implementation of tax would reduce the usage) were mentioned then the answer would be correct.

E: It does not matter how difficult it is to implement the plan. The argument is about once the plan is implemented, whether it would be effective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
RK84 wrote:
solitaryreaper wrote:

Thanks

A friendly advice: an official question is never poor. In order to have a high score, one must align his / her thinking in line with the official questions, i.e. try to understand why an option is correct or wrong, rather than decide whether an answer is correct or wrong.

A: If a plan has already been successful, there are good chances that it would again be successful. This question is not about conclusion, but about support. If it were an inference type question, the answer would be wrong.

D: Support from a group of people who are not experts in the field does not help determine whether the plan will be effective. If instead of "congress delegations", something like "tax implementation experts" or "social psychology experts" (any group of experts who are capable of determining whether implementation of tax would reduce the usage) were mentioned then the answer would be correct.

E: It does not matter how difficult it is to implement the plan. The argument is about once the plan is implemented, whether it would be effective.

If I follow the reasoning given by you on D & E, I can counter option A also in the same way. "Anything which has worked in one country will work in another country" The logic behind this statement is not convincing <consumerism in different markets is different and is based on cultural influences). Many official questions I have practiced before, have used the same reasoning to discard several wrong answers in many cases. I do not wish to argue but I think if something is logically not sound we should admit it rather than defending the source.
But I really appreciate your response. I will try to align my thinking the GMAT way , for such questions also.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20722 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Advocate: Millions of plastic shopping bags are discarded every day in [#permalink]
solitaryreaper wrote:

(A) A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year.

(B) Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded.

(C) Some customers are very concerned about the environmental impacts of plastic bags and will bring reusable bags without any financial incentive.

(D) The bill has substantial support with the Congressional delegations of many states and with the current administration.

(E) The bill could be implemented and the tax collected using a very simple addition to the programming of electronic cash registers.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Correct Answer: A

The correct answer will provide direct support for the claim that the tax on disposable bags will be successful in reducing the number of plastic bags discarded. Choice A is the correct answer because it provides an analogous situation where the tax was successful in reducing the number of plastic bags discarded. When the tax was implemented in Europe, it achieved the desired result so is likely that the same plan will succeed in the United States. The other choices are irrelevant or address aspects other than the probable success of the plan. Choices B and C are not central to the argument as they discuss the effectiveness of the current programs in the United States rather than the proposed tax. Choice D does not speak to the probable success of plan, only to the likelihood of it being adopted. Choice E indicates that the plan is feasible, but again this is different from the plan having the intended result.
Own Kudos [?]: 1971 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
i selected A in this: A similar tax in several European countries resulted in a 90% decrease in the number of plastic bags used by consumers each year

though i took a bit longer time to do this question (3 min 16 sec) . i eliminated all the choice other than A and B (C D and E are easy to eliminate) .i was little wary about A initially because many instructors have noticed this trend that if we are talking about the success of certain plan then the option which specifically talks about the success of that same plan in some other region is not credited as answer . but here i feel this should not be the case because the language of B is giving a tinge of a probable failure of the plan.

B says: Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in only a small decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded----->so indirectly B is suggesting that financial benefits will yield few results if possible, after all out whole argument is standing on the ground that "financial benefits" will give good results to this plan

i strongly believe that had B been (modified B) : Current incentives, such as crediting customers 5 or 10 cents for each reusable bag, have resulted in large decrease in the number of plastic bags discarded--->then B would have been a contender !!

Quote:
I am not satisfied with the official answer.

honestly there is no scope of such thing with official prep questions .GMAC is always right!! BTW which options were bothering you?

I have a doubt with the option "B" and "A". "B" states that financial incentives have not worked as planned; which is eliminating any alternate solution therefore it strengthens the argument. While option "A" states that just because some pattern occurred in other country the same will happen in the given country; which is totally absurd. We can't compare the shopping habits of a person in India with those of a person in Italy.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts