Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
mbsingh wrote:
bb10 wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

Sorry, Trying to understand the graph - how does this break down indian admits?

Just to give perspective on admitted students. I don't think we carry stats on admitted by nationality. Besides Tuck nobody else can provide that information more accurately

Yup. Completely agreed with that.

Thanks for the info and the insights.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Okay, just to throw a bit more light on the Tuck process (specifically for Indians). At Tuck, Indians comprise ~10% of the class (so close to 25-28 people), this number is for Indian passport holders (includes candidates who studied outside the country previously).

Now, Tuck has a yield of ~60% (similar to all top schools apart from HS and probably W), which means to fill their class - they will roll out admits to ~45 applicants. I know for a fact that 20-25 admits were rolled out in the EA round (which is the norm), meaning there are still plenty of "seats" left for people who applied in the Nov/Jan rounds.

Also, do not believe that only 2-3 offers were rolled out in Nov for India - think that number is close to 10-12. Thus, my only advice to fellow applicants would be to not worry about standing admits but rather focus on putting across a solid story on why you think you belong at Tuck.

Hope this helps! Cheers and good luck!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
T19 wrote:
Okay, just to throw a bit more light on the Tuck process (specifically for Indians). At Tuck, Indians comprise ~10% of the class (so close to 25-28 people), this number is for Indian passport holders (includes candidates who studied outside the country previously).

Now, Tuck has a yield of ~60% (similar to all top schools apart from HS and probably W), which means to fill their class - they will roll out admits to ~45 applicants. I know for a fact that 20-25 admits were rolled out in the EA round (which is the norm), meaning there are still plenty of "seats" left for people who applied in the Nov/Jan rounds.

Also, do not believe that only 2-3 offers were rolled out in Nov for India - think that number is close to 10-12. Thus, my only advice to fellow applicants would be to not worry about standing admits but rather focus on putting across a solid story on why you think you belong at Tuck.

Hope this helps! Cheers and good luck!

It does help mate - thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I guess the yield might be higher this year.. Thats what adcoms get paid for right..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Q&A with Tuck Student Ambassador: Tanvi Nayar

Tuck's Student Ambassador Team collaborates with the Admissions Office to share their Tuck experience with prospective students. The Team is structured by geographical region, with an SAT Captain leading each. In the following months, we'll introduce you to them. Today, meet Tanvi Nayar, T'18 and India Co-Captain. Please reach out to Tanvi or any other Student Ambassador using this website. They love to connect with future Tuckies, especially when they're from "home"!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Imagine leaving the comfort of your home, and the warmth and love of your parents at the tender age of 6 years. Imagine getting lost in a remote island where you don’t speak the local language. Imagine sky diving from 12,000ft when you fear heights. That’s me… Constantly learning, trying new things, breaking stereotypes, and loving life! Originally from Haryana, India, I lived in Philadelphia for the last ten years working in the fin tech industry. Post-graduation I plan on pursuing a career in management consulting.  

Why Tuck?

Tuck was love at first sight! I felt welcomed as a prospective student by not only the staff or current students, but also by the alumni I reached out to. I was confident that it would provide me the perfect intimate environment where I would feel comfortable growing, nurturing my skills, and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. 

Everyone at Tuck chooses a different path. What’s your life at Tuck like?

My life at Tuck revolves around academics, recruiting, friends, attending fun events/classes within Tuck and larger Dartmouth community, and coffee! I also try to squeeze in a few minutes for my family back home to Skype and share my experiences with them every day!

Transformational Moment

This takes me back to my last day in Philadelphia when I was bidding goodbye to ten years of memories and moving to Hanover. I was very nervous about how things would turn out. Would I make friends? Would I do well? What if I had made the wrong decision?

The moment I reached Hanover and parked my car, a Tuckie started helping me unload, another Tuckie lent me his keys so I had access to the building, and my dorm neighbor stopped by to say hi to my parents – all within 5 minutes of arriving. That very moment I knew I made the right choice.

Why did you join the Student Ambassador Team?

My interaction with my student ambassador was what formed my first impression of Tuck. She was willing to help me at the drop of a hat, and was always available to answer any questions I had. She made me feel included even before I came to Tuck. I want to create the same experience for prospective students by showing them how amazing this place is and helping in whatever way I can.

What surprised you most at Tuck?

As a prospective student, I underestimated the strength of the Tuck alumni network. Every single alumnus I have reached out to in the past few months not only has been responsive, but also very helpful. (“Way too many” doesn’t even come close to describing the number of alumni I reached out to during recruiting!)

Any advice for prospective students?

Breathe! The whole admissions process can tend to get overwhelming. Know that there’s light at the end of the tunnel and the student ambassadors are there to help you make the best decision! 
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Amy Mitson - Senior Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck- will be in the chat to answer applicants' questions. Chat starts at 9 am PST.
Lin: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Brief intro of Amy Mitson: Amy has been at Tuck since 2000 and is currently Senior Associate Director of Admissions. Prior to working with Tuck Admissions, Amy was the Senior Associate Director of the MBA Program Office. As an admissions officer at Tuck, Amy serves on the admissions committee, reads applications, interviews candidates, oversees the campus visitation program, and manages recruiting efforts in Asia. Her combined student services and admissions experiences have helped her get acquainted with the day-to-day operations at Tuck as well as its history. Her favourite thing about Tuck is the people; working with the faculty, staff and students is a consistent source of motivation and inspiration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
mbsingh wrote:
Amy Mitson - Senior Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck- will be in the chat to answer applicants' questions. Chat starts at 9 am PST.

Brief intro of Amy Mitson: Amy has been at Tuck since 2000 and is currently Senior Associate Director of Admissions. Prior to working with Tuck Admissions, Amy was the Senior Associate Director of the MBA Program Office. As an admissions officer at Tuck, Amy serves on the admissions committee, reads applications, interviews candidates, oversees the campus visitation program, and manages recruiting efforts in Asia. Her combined student services and admissions experiences have helped her get acquainted with the day-to-day operations at Tuck as well as its history. Her favourite thing about Tuck is the people; working with the faculty, staff and students is a consistent source of motivation and inspiration.

Is there a transcript of the chat available?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mridulmthr wrote:
mbsingh wrote:

Is there a transcript of the chat available?

You can try chat room archive but not sure how long they keep it there for.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: April Round Myths

April 5th is Tuck’s final application deadline if you want to be part of the class of 2019. Like most candidates who are considering whether to apply in a school's final round, you probably have a lot of questions, maybe even assumptions. While we can't speak for every school, there are a few things you should know about the April Round at Tuck:

We do not allocate a specific number of admits per round.  

The number of applicants who are admitted in each round is greatly influenced by the overall quality and size of the application pool each year.

International students may still be admitted in the final round.  

Again, because the overall makeup of the applicant pool varies from year-to-year, how and when applicants are admitted is partially the result of the ongoing application process. It is, however, important to keep in mind that the timing for obtaining the necessary student visas is greatly shortened if you are an international student admitted in the April round.

Should I wait until next year? 

While it's true that the dwindling seats available in the class make the final application round more competitive than earlier rounds, we do admit April Round applicants. Keep in mind that a strong application will stand out regardless of the round it is received in. The important takeaway here is that you should focus on submitting the best application you can and apply when the timing works best for you. If that's in April, great! If not, commit the time and thought to submitting your best application next year.

Final advice.

The questions "why MBA?" and "why now?" are particularly pertinent during the April Round. Also, if you're applying in the final round, for whatever reason, don't make us feel like you're doing it as a last resort. This isn't suggesting you be dishonest, but you owe it to yourself to spend some time getting to know Tuck and the community you're asking to be part of for a lifetime.

As you navigate the application process, we hope you will reach out to us with any questions or concerns. To start an application, click here. To schedule a visit and/or applicant-initiated interview, please visit this page. For more application insights, event invitations, and deadline reminders, please create a Tuck profile

We look forward to getting to know you!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck OnSite Global Consulting Project in Argentina

Growing Citrus, Growing Ourselves

By Nancy Yang T’17

Nancy Yang T’17 is wrapping up her second year at Tuck. She grew up in Dallas, worked for Teach For America before business school, and will be going to McKinsey in Seattle post-Tuck. Nancy enjoys learning, exploring, and traveling. During her time at Tuck, she has had the privilege of traveling to Cote d’Ivoire for her First-Year Project (FYP) and Buenos Aires for her OnSite Global Consulting project.

Teaming is more than just uncomfortable icebreakers or trust-building exercises. It’s a skill, and I was thrilled by the opportunity to further develop my teaming skills through my OnSite Global Consulting project. Plus, I got to travel to Argentina—the definition of win-win.

My OnSite team was a blend of three Tuck students and three students from the IAE Business School in Buenos Aires. Our challenge? Help a citrus grower in Argentina figure out whether it should enter the U.S. market with one of its products. Our client was one of the ten organizations around the world that hired teams of Tuck consultants to conduct strategy and analysis projects as part of Tuck’s OnSite Global Consulting course.

My partner on the IAE side was Flor. She has a beautiful laugh and an inquisitive mind, and I was thrilled to work with her. But I had underestimated the challenge of doing work when all we had to bridge the thousands of miles separating us was a tenuous connection on Skype. And it was compounded by the differences that existed between us even though almost everyone on the team had previous cross-culture work experience. 

My Tuck classmates and I prepared agendas and work plans with timelines for each meeting. To our IAE teammates, however, our “plan-ification” tendencies seemed stifling—they left no room for creativity—and even felt a bit dictatorial. In turn, we wondered, “How does work ever get done in the absence of structure?”

Thankfully, the second phase of our project put our full team together in Argentina to work through our different approaches and learn how to “team well” while also delivering a top-quality market analysis for our client. When we began, there was little organized data available to help us size the market for the product our client asked us to evaluate. In response, we became entrepreneurial. Emily and I cold-called research and development scientists and brand managers at consumer processed goods firms to ask for interviews. Flor and Tony scored an interview with a supplier who spoke at a blistering clip, and Gus built a model with such clever assumptions that the lack of data almost ceased being a problem. As the work progressed, it became clear that without structure, we would lack direction. At the same time, if we didn’t adapt and flex, no amount of organization and forethought could have carried us through the project.

When we delivered the presentation, I was immensely proud. Our product wasn’t perfect but we communicated something new and meaningful to the client. In addition, I was astounded by how we—a ragtag collection of six people who had so little in common in the beginning—came together to became a unit defined by trust, respect, and empathy.

For me, two lessons coalesced from this project. First, our understanding of others—especially across cultural barriers—tend to be flat at first but, hopefully, become rich and complex with time. Second, teaming is an on-going process: each moment in which someone takes the time to give feedback, to notice that the team is flagging, or to commend a teammate on a job well done is a real contribution to the team.

I traveled to the other side of the world and found exuberantly open people who gave me the chance to learn, explore, and grow. What an immense privilege.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tuck OnSite Global Consulting Project in Argentina

Growing Citrus, Growing Ourselves

By Nancy Yang T’17

Nancy Yang T’17 is wrapping up her second year at Tuck. She grew up in Dallas, worked for Teach For America before business school, and will be going to McKinsey in Seattle post-Tuck. Nancy enjoys learning, exploring, and traveling. During her time at Tuck, she has had the privilege of traveling to Cote d’Ivoire for her First-Year Project (FYP) and Buenos Aires for her OnSite Global Consulting project.

Teaming is more than just uncomfortable icebreakers or trust-building exercises. It’s a skill, and I was thrilled by the opportunity to further develop my teaming skills through my OnSite Global Consulting project. Plus, I got to travel to Argentina—the definition of win-win.

My OnSite team was a blend of three Tuck students and three students from the IAE Business School in Buenos Aires. Our challenge? Help a citrus grower in Argentina figure out whether it should enter the U.S. market with one of its products. Our client was one of the ten organizations around the world that hired teams of Tuck consultants to conduct strategy and analysis projects as part of Tuck’s OnSite Global Consulting course.

My partner on the IAE side was Flor. She has a beautiful laugh and an inquisitive mind, and I was thrilled to work with her. But I had underestimated the challenge of doing work when all we had to bridge the thousands of miles separating us was a tenuous connection on Skype. And it was compounded by the differences that existed between us even though almost everyone on the team had previous cross-culture work experience. 

My Tuck classmates and I prepared agendas and work plans with timelines for each meeting. To our IAE teammates, however, our “plan-ification” tendencies seemed stifling—they left no room for creativity—and even felt a bit dictatorial. In turn, we wondered, “How does work ever get done in the absence of structure?”

Thankfully, the second phase of our project put our full team together in Argentina to work through our different approaches and learn how to “team well” while also delivering a top-quality market analysis for our client. When we began, there was little organized data available to help us size the market for the product our client asked us to evaluate. In response, we became entrepreneurial. Emily and I cold-called research and development scientists and brand managers at consumer processed goods firms to ask for interviews. Flor and Tony scored an interview with a supplier who spoke at a blistering clip, and Gus built a model with such clever assumptions that the lack of data almost ceased being a problem. As the work progressed, it became clear that without structure, we would lack direction. At the same time, if we didn’t adapt and flex, no amount of organization and forethought could have carried us through the project.

When we delivered the presentation, I was immensely proud. Our product wasn’t perfect but we communicated something new and meaningful to the client. In addition, I was astounded by how we—a ragtag collection of six people who had so little in common in the beginning—came together to became a unit defined by trust, respect, and empathy.

For me, two lessons coalesced from this project. First, our understanding of others—especially across cultural barriers—tend to be flat at first but, hopefully, become rich and complex with time. Second, teaming is an on-going process: each moment in which someone takes the time to give feedback, to notice that the team is flagging, or to commend a teammate on a job well done is a real contribution to the team.

I traveled to the other side of the world and found exuberantly open people who gave me the chance to learn, explore, and grow. What an immense privilege.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
My app went under review on Jan 20th - thanks almost 30 days ago - am I out of the running for an interview invite?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Tuck '20 (WL)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V49
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
bb10 wrote:
My app went under review on Jan 20th - thanks almost 30 days ago - am I out of the running for an interview invite?

Out of the running? Not until 3/10. Mine went under review almost 4 weeks ago, still no invite. They do say that interviews continue to go out until the deadline, but I have to assume most have been issued by this point as it's getting to be pretty late in the game. My prognosis at this point is that it's still possible, but increasingly unlikely.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
tx-guy13 wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Out of the running? Not until 3/10. Mine went under review almost 4 weeks ago, still no invite. They do say that interviews continue to go out until the deadline, but I have to assume most have been issued by this point as it's getting to be pretty late in the game. My prognosis at this point is that it's still possible, but increasingly unlikely.

Thanks txguy13.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Thriving as a Team

By Mark Omyenyili T’18

It was once said that we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with. Four months ago, these five people were strangers that I was convinced I had very little in common with. Today they’re five of my closest mates without whom I would not have survived the first two quarters of business school. My randomly assigned study group consists of an eclectic mix of individuals and to fully understand why we work so well together, I need to share a bit about them.

Charley

Charley is our “process guy” who lays out the group’s objective on a weekly basis. His consulting background and organizational ability keeps the group ahead of schedule.

Caroline

Caroline is our in-house mathematician who believes firmly that "Math is discovered rather than invented." Her unique experience within the insurance industry has been a source of great insight during group assignments.

Duncan

Duncan, a former investment banker and equities trader is keen on sharing his wide array of knowledge from the construction of aluminum smelter plants to the best ski mountains in the world.

Dan

Dan with his private equity background brings a plethora of tangible skills that have benefited every member of the group. He has earned a reputation for having a standard of perfection in everything he does but more importantly, he loves sharing his advanced modeling skills and knowledge with our group and others.

Pratyusha

Pratyusha is our resident engineer who constructively assesses the structural and logical integrity of our group assignments. Her perspective as an engineer is characterized by a balance of conveying a bold vision blended with hues of methodical practicality.

GROUP PRINCIPLES

We are six individuals from four countries—England, Nigeria, India, and the U.S.—with six different industry backgrounds, yet we have thrived by adhering to four group principles (1) Efficiency (2) Challenging each other’s opinions (3) Having fun (4) Being consistent. Fall A and Fall B were marked by two sets of notoriously rigorous core courses but within study group 45, it was a period of time remembered as having meticulous peer-to-peer learning, comically capitalizing on each other’s idiosyncrasies, and finding innovative ways to master new concepts.

EFFICIENCY

As a study group, we quickly realized that the capital structure of our individual time would be the most important determinant of our study group’s success. This meant being prepared prior to every study session to analyze case assignments, make meaningful recommendations, and augment structured models.

CHALLENGING OPINIONS

An important strength of our group was the diversity of thought expressed during each study session. Considering that we had distinct approaches to solving problems, we constantly challenged each other to substantiate individual positions through transparency and quantifiable data. This approach helped each member hone the ability to objectively view and analyze problems. In essence, when Caroline offers a mathematical hypothesis, Dan and Duncan construct robust models, Pratyusha evaluates the logical veracity, and I validate by testing with empirical data, we can be pretty confident it was a well-executed assignment. We each valued the importance of confident humility and cherished the opportunity to learn from one another while challenging thought processes.

HAVING FUN

Creating a team environment hinged on support, humor, and commonalities ensured that our sessions were inherently fun. Our sessions usually commenced with playful banter about less than insightful class comments made by one of us, odd habits, humorous news events, or hockey. Having fun wasn’t just a byproduct of our group chemistry, it was an objective and some will argue that during the most academically demanding weeks, it diverted us from the perils of stress and enhanced the quality of our work.

CONSISTENCY

We made a decision that consistently would be a hallmark of our group. Consistency in meeting, our work product, effort, and commitment to each other. We believe this was one of our most important decisions because it is one that will continue to characterize our support for one another for decades. 
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Business Meets Nature Conservation

By Kelly Thompson T’17

Kelly Thompson T’17 is originally from San Francisco. Prior to Tuck, Kelly worked in investment banking at Bank of America Merrill Lynch and as the assistant director of corporate relations at the American Museum of Natural History. Kelly spent her summer working at The Nature Conservancy focused on impact investments in water.

I had the opportunity to be the student lead for Bill Ginn, executive vice president for global conservation initiatives at The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and Tony Grassi, former chairman of TNC’s board, during their visit to Tuck. Many of us attend Tuck because we have a desire to spend time in nature. While many Tuck students love the call of the outdoors, most do not end up pursuing careers in that space. However, after Bill and Tony’s visit, many of my fellow students began to think about how they could use their business acumen to preserve the natural world.

During their visit, my classmates and I had the chance to learn more about Bill and Tony’s backgrounds and develop a deeper understanding of The Nature Conservancy’s impact investing work.

Bill began his career at the Audubon Society in Maine. There, he started a farm with his wife and saw an opportunity that others did not—finding farmers to buy waste for fertilizers. Bill eventually built a multi-million-dollar company in waste management. He then specialized in waste management M&A, describing it as an amazing opportunity for him to learn valuable financial skills. Bill spent the last 18 years at TNC in several different capacities. During this time, he wrote Investing in Nature, which outlines how to use business tools and market-based strategies to conserve nature. Now, he says he has “the coolest job in the world” (and I have to say I agree), working on special initiatives for The Conservancy. One of these initiatives is NatureVest, the Conservancy’s impact investing arm.

As Bill described to Professor Curtis Welling’s Business and Society course, there is a 290 billion dollar funding gap for conservation. TNC saw an opportunity to employ private capital as a means of reducing the funding gap. NatureVest was created to structure and execute deals that produce conservation outcomes and generate financial returns. The company has launched five innovative efforts to advance impact investing in conservation, including: sustainable forestry, fishing acquisition quotas, green infrastructure, water funds, and debt restructuring.

Unlike Bill, Tony started his career on Wall Street. It wasn’t until after he retired that he became deeply involved in the conservation space. Tony served on multiple TNC boards and ended his time as the chairman of the international board. He continues to be very active in his local Maine community. Tony is the visionary and project manager behind the Mill at Freedom Falls in Freedom, Maine. His vision was to restore the water mill to preserve the historic building, and bring economic life back into the community in an environmentally friendly way, in terms of providing hydropower and not disrupting the natural ecosystems. The Mill is now up and running and houses arguably one of the best restaurants in Maine, The Lost Kitchen. I plan on gathering a group of students to visit in the spring.

As someone passionate about building a career in the conservation investment space, it was exciting for me to see the “business school in the woods” engage in a real discussion on the intersection of business and conservation. I can’t wait to keep the dialogue going.

The Center for Business, Government & Society is focused on meeting the evolving complexities facing business leaders in today’s global economy. In the context of globalization and technological advancement, business success increasingly depends on reconciling the interests of its immediate stakeholders with the broader, deeply intertwined interests of both governments and society. Business leaders adept at navigating these many interests will be better equipped and empowered to help build a more sustainable global economy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Quick Comparison of interview invites for TUCK
Attachments

Tuck.png
Tuck.png [ 11.58 KiB | Viewed 2492 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts