Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:57 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all DeGroote (McMaster University) MBA Applicants: 2017 Intake [#permalink]
Hi Guys,
I just received an admission offer from degroote for full time MBA.
Can you please share what all information you have about the school.
Would really appreciate it.
Also, can we talk on https://gmatclub.com/chat( if a group has been made yet) or via mail.
My number is +919974096701.
Mail I'd is: amulya619@gmail.com
Regards,
Amulya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all DeGroote (McMaster University) MBA Applicants: 2017 Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Guys,

I'm an MBA Co-op Candidate from the intake of 2016 (The batch before you). Feel free to add me to the Official https://gmatclub.com/chat group for your batch if you need any help. :)

PM me for contact details.

Regards,
Aashish Malhotra
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Guys,

I too am an MBA Co-op Candidate at DSB from the 2016 intake.

Do add me to your https://gmatclub.com/chat group for your batch if you need any help. PM me for contact details.

Regards,
Sharwin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A$)
Send PM
Hello MBA aspirants,

I am an MBA Full-time Candidate at DeGroote from the 2016 intake. Feel free to add me to the https://gmatclub.com/chat group for your 2017 intake batch for any queries. Please message me for contact details.

Regards,

Originally posted by scorpionmba on 03 Mar 2017, 11:04.
Last edited by scorpionmba on 02 Feb 2018, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Removing the post

Originally posted by soumya1204 on 08 Mar 2017, 03:12.
Last edited by soumya1204 on 25 Feb 2020, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [6]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A$)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Is it worth to pay 78K Canadian dollars (Fees for my MBA batch) for Full time MBA at DeGroote?

My Answer is NO, and the following are the reasons.

Class Size – 45 to 50 Students. (Students are dominantly from only Canada and China and a few from India, therefore, there is not much diversity in class). The school will claim that the class size is 160, but that is including Co-Op students.

DeGroote can’t be considered as a Global MBA school as till date even if I am about to finish my 2nd semester; there has not been one single case study or strategy about any international brand discussed in class. Class discussion is limited to North American perspective, and even the professors are reluctant to talk about anything with Global outlook.
One can surely go to career services for help with CV and cover letters, but they are not working as hard to attract employers for full-time students as they do for Co-Op students. There have been occasions where there are events organized by the Career services for Co-op students only and FT students are not allowed.

In regards to summer jobs/internships, since last three weeks, there has been not a single summer job posted by the DeGroote career services on the job opening portal for full-time students. These actions clearly explain how much the career services wants to help full-time MBA students to get summer jobs. The aim of career services is to place all Co-op students, but that is not the case for full-time students.

Most of the events are conducted by employers from finance or Health industry at DeGroote (Burlington, MBA Campus). The School is very much Finance focused which is good news for students planning to specialize in Finance, however, not good news for students who don’t want to study Finance or Health and services management courses. Till date, there has not been a single event organized by someone from retail, CPG or technology industry. At the main campus, which is in Hamilton, there are many events organized by companies from different industries, but the MBA classes take place at Burlington campus, so it’s difficult to attend those events.

After attending many networking events organized by DeGroote, in my opinion, DeGroote has an image in the job market of producing good Co-op MBA students, therefore, the employers who come to the school look for Co-op students rather than full time students. Consequently, when employers think of the school then what they have in mind is students with Co-op experience.

At every event in which DeGroote invited Alumni of the School for a talk, there has not been a single occasion where they invited an Alumni who did full-time MBA. Alumni who come to School talk about their Co-op experiences, how they got Co-op jobs, how Co-op jobs helped them to be where they are, and how can the incoming students get Co-op jobs. Please note getting a Co-op is entirely different from getting a Summer internship.

There is no postgraduate student accommodation available for international students so as international students we miss the opportunity to form a personal relationship with other students rather than professional one. People who have lived in university hostels and accommodation would know what I am talking about. Living together in the same building with a common area helps to form a different kind of bond among students rather than just meeting at school.

There is more attention given to Co-op students (approx. 120 students) whereas FT students are around 40 to 50. As there are more Co-op students than full-time students, and following my conversation with the administration, Alumni and faculty members at the business school, I feel that Co-op MBA is the Bread and Butter for DeGroote, but the Full-time MBA is not.

There are very few top positions available for Full-time students at any of the clubs at DeGroote as most of the executive members of the clubs have to be Co-op MBA students.
For all the above reasons, MBA full-time program is not the worth the time and investment if you are an international student (without Canadian permanent residency).
Please try for Co-op at McMaster rather than Full-time until you don't have any other option or can't improve your GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I have an interview for the co-op program tomorrow... Any advise?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
roy4955 wrote:

Can you let me know how your Co-op interview went?
How much time did the interview last?
What questions were asked.
Mine is today. Instant reply would be really helpful. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
divya203 wrote:
roy4955 wrote:

Can you let me know how your Co-op interview went?
How much time did the interview last?
What questions were asked.
Mine is today. Instant reply would be really helpful. :)

Hi... The interview went pretty well and was not very complicated.
They begin by asking you about yourself and the reason you chose this program and then move on to 4-5 basic behavioral questions, which you can
briefly prepare for, through google searching.

Practice talking into the camera if you are not very comfortable with that ( I wasn't and that was a slight setback for me)
You can reach me at 8600007805 if you have any other questions.

Stay calm and positive :) Best of Luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys how long does it take on an average to come out with the results of the co-op interview??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi,

I am from India, and just got selected to DeGroote's FT. I need financial aid and accommodation suggestions. Please advice!

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: DeGroote (A)
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
just did the online video interview. the questions were pretty random, my connection dropped in between and they gave me a new question.

for practice questions, they gave "tea or coffee and why" and "what is your favourite home cooked meal"
but the actual questions were much harder such as what do you think corporate social responsibility should be and give a time where you gave a group presentation etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
prateek720 wrote:
Is it worth to pay 78K Canadian dollars (Fees for my MBA batch) for Full time MBA at DeGroote?

Class Size – 45 to 50 Students. (Students are dominantly from only Canada and China and a few from India, therefore, there is not much diversity in class). The school will claim that the class size is 160, but that is including Co-Op students.

DeGroote can’t be considered as a Global MBA school as till date even if I am about to finish my 2nd semester; there has not been one single case study or strategy about any international brand discussed in class. Class discussion is limited to North American perspective, and even the professors are reluctant to talk about anything with Global outlook.
One can surely go to career services for help with CV and cover letters, but they are not working as hard to attract employers for full-time students as they do for Co-Op students. There have been occasions where there are events organized by the Career services for Co-op students only and FT students are not allowed.

In regards to summer jobs/internships, since last three weeks, there has been not a single summer job posted by the DeGroote career services on the job opening portal for full-time students. These actions clearly explain how much the career services wants to help full-time MBA students to get summer jobs. The aim of career services is to place all Co-op students, but that is not the case for full-time students.

Most of the events are conducted by employers from finance or Health industry at DeGroote (Burlington, MBA Campus). The School is very much Finance focused which is good news for students planning to specialize in Finance, however, not good news for students who don’t want to study Finance or Health and services management courses. Till date, there has not been a single event organized by someone from retail, CPG or technology industry. At the main campus, which is in Hamilton, there are many events organized by companies from different industries, but the MBA classes take place at Burlington campus, so it’s difficult to attend those events.

After attending many networking events organized by DeGroote, in my opinion, DeGroote has an image in the job market of producing good Co-op MBA students, therefore, the employers who come to the school look for Co-op students rather than full time students. Consequently, when employers think of the school then what they have in mind is students with Co-op experience.

At every event in which DeGroote invited Alumni of the School for a talk, there has not been a single occasion where they invited an Alumni who did full-time MBA. Alumni who come to School talk about their Co-op experiences, how they got Co-op jobs, how Co-op jobs helped them to be where they are, and how can the incoming students get Co-op jobs. Please note getting a Co-op is entirely different from getting a Summer internship.

There is no postgraduate student accommodation available for international students so as international students we miss the opportunity to form a personal relationship with other students rather than professional one. People who have lived in university hostels and accommodation would know what I am talking about. Living together in the same building with a common area helps to form a different kind of bond among students rather than just meeting at school.

There is more attention given to Co-op students (approx. 120 students) whereas FT students are around 40 to 50. As there are more Co-op students than full-time students, and following my conversation with the administration, Alumni and faculty members at the business school, I feel that Co-op MBA is the Bread and Butter for DeGroote, but the Full-time MBA is not.

There are very few top positions available for Full-time students at any of the clubs at DeGroote as most of the executive members of the clubs have to be Co-op MBA students.
For all the above reasons, MBA full-time program is not the worth the time and investment if you are an international student (without Canadian permanent residency).
Please try for Co-op at McMaster rather than Full-time until you don't have any other option or can't improve your GMAT score.

What are the chances of securing a Scholarship for the MBA co-op program?
Also, what is the avg profile of the cohort wrt age, gmat score and domain of exp??
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I just received my offer from DeGroote. I had applied for the co-op program, but have been offered admission into the FT program instead. My concern is that at 80k, the cost of the FT program is too high. The mandatory co-op work terms would have helped me pay for my tuition, but with the FT program, I feel the risk is significantly higher since it would all hinge on the kind of job offers I'd receive at the end of it.

Is my thinking justified? Can some of the current students shed some light on the "reputation" of the DeGroote FT program in Canada? I've been reading about how the university gives more preference to its co-op stream students since that's what its known for. How true is this? Would you recommend that I email them back requesting them to consider me for the co-op program citing financial reasons?

I'm really confused. I need help to decide whether I should take this offer up or not. Any insights are much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
roy4955 wrote:
Guys how long does it take on an average to come out with the results of the co-op interview??

I don't think there is a specific duration. The admission team meets every Wednesday to review applications.
I went for my MBA Co-op interview on the 30th of March and got my admissions letter on the 4th of April. However, I know of a friend who got his own letter on the 3rd.
Let me know if you have any question.
For those who already received their offer letters, add me to a group if there is one already so that we get to know each other before September.

Cheers!!!

Originally posted by LuizIQ on 11 Apr 2017, 19:15.
Last edited by LuizIQ on 29 Jul 2019, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 2.89
Send PM
Kudos
rapsfan1992 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I got an offer for the Co-op program and thought I should share some insight on my application process.

Application submitted: November 30th
Video interview completed: December 5th
Co-op interview: January 6th
Received offer: January 20th

I did horribly on the video interview because I was really nervous and ended up not answering the questions well. Make sure you get enough practice talking into a camera as I think that would really help!

My in person Co-op interview was a very positive experience. The questions I received for the Co-op interview were very similar to the ones 'applicant19' has provided and the interviewers were extremely friendly and courteous.

My applicant details:

GMAT: 650
WE: 2.5 Years in Financial Services
CGPA: 3.35
Domestic Applicant

Hope this helps!

Hey thank you very much for sharing your experience rapsfan1992! I have just completed my Co-op interview and feel like I could have done much better. Hopefully hear some good news in 10 business days. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
prateek720 wrote:

Hey Prateek,

Thanks for the information, but how good is DeGroote Co-op for Marketing? I mean, I have an IT background and this will be a career transition for me.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts