Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Send PM
Re: V15 to V50 [#permalink]
I'm in agreement with "ok" above. This is a near impossible goal. This is pretty much going from the bottom 10 or 20 percent to one of the highest scores each year. Even with years of time to dedicate to studying most people wouldn't be able to pull off that score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
okay wrote:
V50 is missing only 1 question (unlike quant where you can miss several questions and get Q50). I don't want to say it's impossible... but it's going to be pretty close- V15 indicates you are missing some of the basics.

Also, keep in mind that the 99th percentile for Verbal begins at V44/45, so V50 is 99%++.

That said, the link ydmuley shared would be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Thanx.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
V15 to V50 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Without knowing anything else about you or your background, I'd recommend not pursuing this particular goal. You can get a fantastic overall GMAT score with a much lower Verbal. And scoring a 46 or higher on Verbal is incredibly rare - only 1 out of 100 test-takers do so. Are you a native English speaker? If not, it's even more unlikely - there are a lot of people who get very high scores on Verbal by studying and applying rules, but many other people who get very high scores are native English speakers who have a very strong 'ear' from many years of reading, writing, and editing.

e: On a personal note, I'm a native English speaker and I've been teaching GMAT classes for four years. My highest official Verbal is a 49!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ccooley wrote:
Without knowing anything else about you or your background, I'd recommend not pursuing this particular goal. You can get a fantastic overall GMAT score with a much lower Verbal. And scoring a 46 or higher on Verbal is incredibly rare - only 1 out of 100 test-takers do so. Are you a native English speaker? If not, it's even more unlikely - there are a lot of people who get very high scores on Verbal by studying and applying rules, but many other people who get very high scores are native English speakers who have a very strong 'ear' from many years of reading, writing, and editing.

e: On a personal note, I'm a native English speaker and I've been teaching GMAT classes for four years. My highest official Verbal is a 49!

No, I'm not a native English speaker. Well, my overall goal is to score on the higher side of 700.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Apppyyyiiieee wrote:
No, I'm not a native English speaker. Well, my overall goal is to score on the higher side of 700.

Then check this out: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

Technically, you could score a 700 with a Verbal as low as 34, although it's unlikely (since you'd need a 51 Quant plus a bit of luck). But you can definitely score a 700 with a Verbal in the high 30s or low 40s.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ccooley wrote:
Apppyyyiiieee wrote:

Then check this out: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

Technically, you could score a 700 with a Verbal as low as 34, although it's unlikely (since you'd need a 51 Quant plus a bit of luck). But you can definitely score a 700 with a Verbal in the high 30s or low 40s.

Thank you, sir.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts