It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V15 to V50

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

V15 to V50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 08:08
I just took my first mock test today and scored a 15, kindly suggest me something to improve it to 50. Is it even possible within a time frame of 2 months?
TIA!

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: V15 to V50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 08:18
Apppyyyiiieee wrote:
I just took my first mock test today and scored a 15, kindly suggest me something to improve it to 50. Is it even possible within a time frame of 2 months?
TIA!

Hello Apppyyyiiieee - Well that is definitely an audacious dream. The journey from 15 to 50 or 51 (near perfect) is not an easy one. Having said that it is not impossible to score.

One needs to put in a lot of efforts in concept clarity and then on solving GMAT type questions. Even if you master the concepts it is more important that you are able to apply these concepts and that too within the average timeframe of a particular question.

In short, there is no single answer to your question, this forum is full of some great articles and I would suggest you go through them to get some perspective.

Also, spend some time on analyzing your area of weakness. From V 15 you definitely have a lot of work to do.

Below is one such article that can help you for verbal.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/study-plan-f ... 98342.html

Hope this helps!

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 195

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.42
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 17:06
V50 is missing only 1 question (unlike quant where you can miss several questions and get Q50). I don't want to say it's impossible... but it's going to be pretty close- V15 indicates you are missing some of the basics.

Also, keep in mind that the 99th percentile for Verbal begins at V44/45, so V50 is 99%++.

That said, the link ydmuley shared would be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

BSchool Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 18:01
I'm in agreement with "ok" above. This is a near impossible goal. This is pretty much going from the bottom 10 or 20 percent to one of the highest scores each year. Even with years of time to dedicate to studying most people wouldn't be able to pull off that score.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 21:42
okay wrote:
V50 is missing only 1 question (unlike quant where you can miss several questions and get Q50). I don't want to say it's impossible... but it's going to be pretty close- V15 indicates you are missing some of the basics.

Also, keep in mind that the 99th percentile for Verbal begins at V44/45, so V50 is 99%++.

That said, the link ydmuley shared would be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Thanx.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 60

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
V15 to V50 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 13:30
Without knowing anything else about you or your background, I'd recommend not pursuing this particular goal. You can get a fantastic overall GMAT score with a much lower Verbal. And scoring a 46 or higher on Verbal is incredibly rare - only 1 out of 100 test-takers do so. Are you a native English speaker? If not, it's even more unlikely - there are a lot of people who get very high scores on Verbal by studying and applying rules, but many other people who get very high scores are native English speakers who have a very strong 'ear' from many years of reading, writing, and editing.

e: On a personal note, I'm a native English speaker and I've been teaching GMAT classes for four years. My highest official Verbal is a 49!

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 17:31
ccooley wrote:
Without knowing anything else about you or your background, I'd recommend not pursuing this particular goal. You can get a fantastic overall GMAT score with a much lower Verbal. And scoring a 46 or higher on Verbal is incredibly rare - only 1 out of 100 test-takers do so. Are you a native English speaker? If not, it's even more unlikely - there are a lot of people who get very high scores on Verbal by studying and applying rules, but many other people who get very high scores are native English speakers who have a very strong 'ear' from many years of reading, writing, and editing.

e: On a personal note, I'm a native English speaker and I've been teaching GMAT classes for four years. My highest official Verbal is a 49!

No, I'm not a native English speaker. Well, my overall goal is to score on the higher side of 700.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 13:01
Apppyyyiiieee wrote:
No, I'm not a native English speaker. Well, my overall goal is to score on the higher side of 700.

Then check this out: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

Technically, you could score a 700 with a Verbal as low as 34, although it's unlikely (since you'd need a 51 Quant plus a bit of luck). But you can definitely score a 700 with a Verbal in the high 30s or low 40s.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 03:00
ccooley wrote:
Apppyyyiiieee wrote:

Then check this out: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/gmat ... alculator/

Technically, you could score a 700 with a Verbal as low as 34, although it's unlikely (since you'd need a 51 Quant plus a bit of luck). But you can definitely score a 700 with a Verbal in the high 30s or low 40s.

Thank you, sir.

Re: V15 to V50   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 03:00

V15 to V50

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap