Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Please help! [#permalink]
EduSimplified wrote:
Hi Ayushi,

You have an excellent profile. It's a bummer that your Quant slid a little. Assuming your goal is to pursue your career in Finance your school selection is very good. Wharton and Columbia are excellent schools for that. You have a good shot at NUS and HKUST. You have a distinguished profile for M7 schools too but it is very difficult to opine on them. Depending on where you want to work post MBA I recommend concentrating in one geographic area. You may want to email INSEAD and ask them about the IR situation, they may give you a break. Now all that is left is find the best fit school and work on your applications. You can always contact me to discuss your application further over a call.

Best,

Hi

Thankyou so much for the response. Its a good idea to talk to INSEAD people directly. I plan to move to Singapore and hence I have selected 4 schools in that region. Rest are super aspirational US schools which will have a great brand. I'll surely get in touch if I need help regarding applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
99Colleges wrote:
I don’t think you need to worry about your Quant score, given that you seem to have plenty of experience in finance and your overall score is good.

Your work experience looks strong. What matters are your different experiences, accomplishments, and impact at work. The likes of Wharton, CBS, Kellogg, and HBS are tough for anyone. Hard to tell how you’ll fare at these schools, but nonetheless apply to few of them. Scholarships are hard to predict. Treat it as bonus if you land one. If you get into a good program, you’ll likely have a good RoI even without a scholarship.

On recommendation, take it from MD if s/he has seen your work.

Hi

Thanks a lot for reviewing my profile! Its a relief that the Quant glitch can be covered up. Its sort of really bothering me but I'll try to put together a good application. The MD has seen my work so I guess he will write a good reco
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Ayushi_1 wrote:
Hello Experts!

I just wrote my GMAT and scored a 740 (V42, Q48). The QA percentile is a serious dampener at 69 and the IR is at the edge too (5 -55 percentile). However, I have no plans to retake the exam as I believe that this is very close to the best I can do. I need some serious advice about:

1. What are my chances for top rated schools?
2. What schools should I consider given I have financial constraints and would most likely require a scholarship.

On to my profile now - I'm an Indian female.

WorkEx - I have about 3.5 years of experience in financial consultancy (Duff & Phelps), where I carry out valuations of businesses, complex financial instruments and intangible assets. This is my first job and I have been promoted thrice. I'm currently working as a Senior Consultant and consistently rated as one of the top performing employees. Also the president of Internal Complaints Committee for my regional office.

Bachelors - Financial and Investment Analysis from CBS (DU). For those who don't know, its a highly competitive course (only about 30 general seats). I got a rank of about 50 out of 15,000 applicants to get in. Scored 70% in the course (not stellar, but not bad either)

CFA - I have cleared all 3 levels and will complete 4 years of experience in June and apply for the charter.

High School - 94% in XII and 92% in X

Social Work - I have volunteered with Make A Difference as a volunteer teacher and placements intern for 2 years. I was awarded as the best intern.

Co-curricular activities - I have been learning Kathak (Indian classical dance) since last 2 years, have certifications for the same. Further, I was an active debater during school, with the usual Head Girl badge.

Recommendation letters - I can source one from my MD (INSEAD graduate) and other perhaps from a client or direct supervisor.

I am currently considering NUS, HKUST, Wharton, Kellog, Columbia and (possibly) Harvard. I've dropped INSEAD as I don't meet their recommended criteria.

Thanks for taking out time!

Ayushi,

Love your profile! I wouldn't worry too much about your quant score.
What are your short term and long term career goals... I-Banking?

Sincerely,
GettingIN MBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
You have good scores. Good for you. There are many occurrences throughout your life when you may need to write request letters. Likewise, taking in the correct organization and tone of making an official demand is a vital fundamental ability. Luckily, ask for letters generally take a distinct format. When you take in the best possible procedure, composing demand letters will be no issue. A letter will establish a superior connection on the off chance that it is written; free of spelling and sentence structure botches; free of slang; and put in the privilege estimated envelope. Be that as it may, it is significantly more critical to meet due dates and express the reason unmistakably than to present a letter which is totally blunder free.
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Ayushi_1 wrote:
Hello Experts!

I just wrote my GMAT and scored a 740 (V42, Q48). The QA percentile is a serious dampener at 69 and the IR is at the edge too (5 -55 percentile). However, I have no plans to retake the exam as I believe that this is very close to the best I can do. I need some serious advice about:

2. What schools should I consider given I have financial constraints and would most likely require a scholarship.

WorkEx - I have about 3.5 years of experience in financial consultancy (Duff & Phelps), where I carry out valuations of businesses, complex financial instruments and intangible assets. This is my first job and I have been promoted thrice. I'm currently working as a Senior Consultant and consistently rated as one of the top performing employees. Also the president of Internal Complaints Committee for my regional office.

Bachelors - Financial and Investment Analysis from CBS (DU). For those who don't know, its a highly competitive course (only about 30 general seats). I got a rank of about 50 out of 15,000 applicants to get in. Scored 70% in the course (not stellar, but not bad either)

CFA - I have cleared all 3 levels and will complete 4 years of experience in June and apply for the charter.

Social Work - I have volunteered with Make A Difference as a volunteer teacher and placements intern for 2 years. I was awarded as the best intern.

Co-curricular activities - I have been learning Kathak (Indian classical dance) since last 2 years, have certifications for the same. Further, I was an active debater during school, with the usual Head Girl badge.

Recommendation letters - I can source one from my MD (INSEAD graduate) and other perhaps from a client or direct supervisor.

I am currently considering NUS, HKUST, Wharton, Kellog, Columbia and (possibly) Harvard. I've dropped INSEAD as I don't meet their recommended criteria.

Hey Ayushi,
You have already received a ton of decent advice. Adding on to that...
1. A good part of your admission will also depend on your Goals & your answers to those questions.
2. 740 is a decent score, though the quant profile will bring a slight hiccup (at worst). Your CFA (assuming you have cleared all levels in first attempts will be a great help. So will your WE.
3. Your LORs should preferably source from those who can claim to having directly supervised you, preferably for 6 months or more, and as recently as possible.
4. The GPA is slightly concerning; Take good consulting help to turn it around to your advantage.
5. A lot will depend on your accomplishments (will need more details).

Assuming an average profile, Harvard and Columbia will be challenging, but within reach. Schols will depend a lot on your application strength - That's where you get the best ROI for your money spent on Consulting. (By average, I don't mean mediocre profile; more like a modal profile of students in such roles).

As for NUS, HKUST etc, they are within easy reach, though how you demonstrate an alignment with your goals will really matter.

Best of Luck
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi Ayushi,

Over all you a have very good profile, don't have to worry about the Quant score and it's good thought of not retaking the GMAT. You have cleared CFA which is an value ad to your profile and ad coms of he respective b-schools would appreciate that.

Considering Finance as your post mba career, Wharton, Chicago Booth, HBS, NYU Stern, Columbia Business School, Stanford and IE must be your target, yes HBS, Stanford and Wharton are challenging B-Schools to any profile but you must definelty give a try there.

Considering your overall profile, below mentioned is the list of b-schools which uh must consider while applying.
Duke University Fuqua School of Business
University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Cornell University Johnson Graduate School of Management
Indian School of Business
University of California Berkeley Haas School of Business
University of California Anderson School of Management
Yale University - Yale School of Management
University of Chicago Booth School of Business

It's a high time for you to start working on your application, you have done a pretty good work in GMAT, but its your essays which makes the difference as its make or break or component. Tailor your essays brilliantly in a professional and simple language.

Feel free to reach us anytime for your profile related queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi experts, may you evaluate my profile for US B-Schools and suggest me suitable programmes..

Indian Male 27
B.Tech.: IIT (ISM) Dhanbad
GPA: 7.88/10 (Mineral Engineering- a course taught in very few colleges in India)
Work ex. 6 yrs. in a PSU ( Govt. Of India Enterprise)
Profile: Consultant in Clean Coal sector. Handled team to implement e-tendering in Coal India Limited. Involved in many diverse professional assignments and nature of job always necessitated to work as a part of team.
Post MBA Goal: Management Consulting
Extracurricular: during college days, I was engaged with an NGO providing primary education to underprivileged children in nearby slums.
Presently, a member of local Toastmaster club. GMAT: 750 (Q50, V41, AWA: 5.0 and IR: 8.0)

I was invited for interview on day 1 in ISB. However, I want to have idea about other schools if I get a ding from ISB.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GettingInMBA wrote:
Ayushi_1 wrote:
Hello Experts!

Ayushi,

Love your profile! I wouldn't worry too much about your quant score.
What are your short term and long term career goals... I-Banking?

Sincerely,
GettingIN MBA

Hi!

Thanks, that's a relief. My long term goals include Impact Investing PE/VC or PE/VC or I-Banking (in that order).

Thanks for responding!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
Ayushi_1 wrote:
Hello Experts!

Hey Ayushi,
You have already received a ton of decent advice. Adding on to that...
1. A good part of your admission will also depend on your Goals & your answers to those questions.
2. 740 is a decent score, though the quant profile will bring a slight hiccup (at worst). Your CFA (assuming you have cleared all levels in first attempts will be a great help. So will your WE.
3. Your LORs should preferably source from those who can claim to having directly supervised you, preferably for 6 months or more, and as recently as possible.
4. The GPA is slightly concerning; Take good consulting help to turn it around to your advantage.
5. A lot will depend on your accomplishments (will need more details).

Assuming an average profile, Harvard and Columbia will be challenging, but within reach. Schols will depend a lot on your application strength - That's where you get the best ROI for your money spent on Consulting. (By average, I don't mean mediocre profile; more like a modal profile of students in such roles).

As for NUS, HKUST etc, they are within easy reach, though how you demonstrate an alignment with your goals will really matter.

Best of Luck

Hi

Thanks a lot for responding, this is really helpful (and encouragin :))

1. My long term goals involve specializing in impact investing, especially social entrepreneurship in emerging economies. I'd love to work for something like Dalberg.
2. I cleared all levels in one go (thankfully) in 1.5 years.
3. My directors have been working with me since I joined so, I think that part is sorted
4. Yes, I would need help on that. Anything you'd suggest? I spent a lot of time with an NGO during college, is it a good idea to use that as background?
5. Accomplishments would include dance, public speaking awards and fast promotions. Unfortunately my company doesn't have a policy of awarding people.

I have an admissions consultant as a part of my prep package but will be willing to spend more if I don't like the quality. Hopefully will make it to a good school!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GeneralEducation wrote:
Hi Ayushi,

Over all you a have very good profile, don't have to worry about the Quant score and it's good thought of not retaking the GMAT. You have cleared CFA which is an value ad to your profile and ad coms of he respective b-schools would appreciate that.

Considering Finance as your post mba career, Wharton, Chicago Booth, HBS, NYU Stern, Columbia Business School, Stanford and IE must be your target, yes HBS, Stanford and Wharton are challenging B-Schools to any profile but you must definelty give a try there.

Considering your overall profile, below mentioned is the list of b-schools which uh must consider while applying.
Duke University Fuqua School of Business
University of Virginia Darden School of Business
Cornell University Johnson Graduate School of Management
Indian School of Business
University of California Berkeley Haas School of Business
University of California Anderson School of Management
Yale University - Yale School of Management
University of Chicago Booth School of Business

It's a high time for you to start working on your application, you have done a pretty good work in GMAT, but its your essays which makes the difference as its make or break or component. Tailor your essays brilliantly in a professional and simple language.

Feel free to reach us anytime for your profile related queries.

Hello

Thank you for recommending schools, this is very helpful. I agree with the prominent names on your list, but have a question about the lesser known ones (particularly Berkeley and Yale) - are these valued in the finance industry in Singapore? I'll most probably be settling there and would want to choose the US schools over Asian schools only if the brand is very valuable. What do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Ayushi,

Congrats on your Great score.. you mentioned that you have dropped INSEAD as you don't meet their recommended criteria.. May I please know what is this criteria?

All the best for your Application.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Hi Ayushi,

Congrats on your Great score.. you mentioned that you have dropped INSEAD as you don't meet their recommended criteria.. May I please know what is this criteria?

Hi, thank you!

INSEAD recommends a score of 75 percentile for both QA and VA and an IR score of 6.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Ayushi_1 wrote:
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Hi Ayushi,

Hi, thank you!

INSEAD recommends a score of 75 percentile for both QA and VA and an IR score of 6.

Yeah read that.. But have seen some profile with GMAT 680 getting admitted this year.. however they aren't from India.
GMAT Club Bot