Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Long Passagex   Social Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38840 [75]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [16]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [8]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Structural unemployment—the unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
Need a help on answering (Book Question: 8)

The passage suggests that the phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation is
A. a socioeconomic problem that can only be addressed by government intervention
B. a socioeconomic problem that can be characteristic of periods of structural unemployment
C. an economic problem that results from government intervention in management-labor relations
D. an economic problem that results from imperfect applications of technology
E. an economic problem that can be eliminated by relatively small changes in the labor force

I could not reach to choice B anyhow... please help which line can lead to this answer in last para

Thanks in advance!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [7]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Structural unemployment—the unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
KanakGarg wrote:

The passage suggests that the phenomenon of combined unemployment and inflation is
A. a socioeconomic problem that can only be addressed by government intervention
B. a socioeconomic problem that can be characteristic of periods of structural unemployment
C. an economic problem that results from government intervention in management-labor relations
E. an economic problem that can be eliminated by relatively small changes in the labor force

I could not reach to choice B anyhow... please help which line can lead to this answer in last para

Thanks in advance!!

You can try eliminating one by one
A- contains only. Extreme generalisation
B- characteristics of stru. Unemployment.
C- First and second para never says govt has done anything to create this
D- technology is one factor but problem exist without technology.
E- not small changes but type and location both matters

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [3]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
KanakGarg wrote:

Thanks in advance!!

For me, choice B is from the following evidence:
This phenomenon may be an important factor in the rising trend, observed for the past two decades, of unemployment combined with inflation

in the passage, "this phenomenon" is that: Increased structural unemployment=>wages of shortage qualified workers are bid up, labor costs, and thus prices, rise.
the passage tell us that "this phenomena" is important factor to create a trend: "combined unemployment and inflation"
So this trend is characteristics of structural unemployment.
Analogy: people who have flu usually cough. So cough is a characteristic of flu.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
WE:Account Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey there!

Can someone please help me on the last question - Question 10? I can't seem to understand why B is not a good enough option. The answer D is clearly cited in the passage, but it does not seem like a solid explanation for the question. While B is a concise, direct answer and that makes much more sense.

Thank you in advance.
Marina
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
(Book Question: 10)
According to the passage, small downward shifts in the demand for labor will not usually cause unemployment because
A. such shifts are frequently accompanied by upswings in the economy
B. such shifts usually occur slowly
C. workers can be encouraged to move to where there are jobs
D. normal attrition is often sufficient to reduce the size of the work force
E. workers are usually flexible enough to learn new skills and switch to new jobs

In the above question, how is option D the correct answer? Can anyone explain? GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
WE:Account Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
AkshayKS21 wrote:
MarinaFD wrote:
Hey there!

Can someone please help me on the last question - Question 10? I can't seem to understand why B is not a good enough option. The answer D is clearly cited in the passage, but it does not seem like a solid explanation for the question. While B is a concise, direct answer and that makes much more sense.

Thank you in advance.
Marina

Hi I answered why D is correct in above post. Please refer it.
Now why B is not a good enough option:

Quote:
According to the passage, small downward shifts in the demand for labor will not usually cause unemployment because

Consider yourself CEO.
See this conversation:
Scenario D:
I (reporter) : Why aren't you giving pink slips to all employees (causing unemployment), given we have seen small downward shifts in demand for labor?
You: Because removing few people (normal attrition) is enough to tackle this small shift.

VS.

Scenario B:
I (reporter) : Why aren't you giving pink slips to all employees (causing unemployment), given we have seen small downward shifts in demand for labor?
You: Because the shift is occurring slowly.

Does it matter whether the demand lowers slowly or quickly? Passage says the small shift won't cause employment. Why? Because normal attrition is enough to counter these small shifts. Passage doesn't mention anything about how slowly or quickly the shift occurs and its effect on unemployment!

Hope I helped! :)

Hey!

Thank you so much for the complete explanations, I completely understand now.

It makes a lot of sense, I think I didn't get the meaning of the text correctly and that is why I got the wrong answer.

Also, the examples were perfect, thanks again!

Marina

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [6]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
P1 - wat is SU?
P2 - factors affecting SU + job loss is not bad. why?
P3 - effects of above thing

RC00144-03
All of the following are mentioned as ways of controlling the magnitude of structural unemployment EXCEPT

Workers can be encouraged to move where there are jobs, to reeducate or retrain themselves, or to retire. In addition, other factors affecting structural unemployment, such as capital movement, can be controlled.

A. using public funds to create jobs - correct; except this all are given in P2
B. teaching new skills to displaced workers -
C. allowing displaced workers to retire -
D. controlling the movement of capital -
E. encouraging workers to move to where jobs are available -

-------------------------------------
RC00144-04
The passage suggests that a potential outcome of higher structural unemployment is
As the wages of those workers are bid up,
C. higher wages for those workers who have skills that are in demand - yes

--------------------------------------

RC00144-05
It can be inferred from the passage that even when there are unemployed workers, labor shortages are still likely to occur if

If there is a growing pool of workers who lack the necessary skills for the available jobs, increases in total labor demand will rapidly generate shortages of qualified workers.

D. the jobs available in certain places require skills that the labor force in those areas lacks
----------------------------------------
RC00144-06

This phenomenon may be an important factor in the rising trend, observed for the past two decades, of unemployment combined with inflation. Government policy has placed a priority on reducing inflation, but these efforts have nevertheless caused unemployment to increase.

A. a socioeconomic problem that can only be addressed by government intervention - too extreme, not sure if it can be addressed by that.
B. a socioeconomic problem that can be characteristic of periods of structural unemployment - unemployment and inflation can be characteristic of SU.
C. an economic problem that results from government intervention in management-labor relations - no
D. an economic problem that results from imperfect applications of technology - not always.
E. an economic problem that can be eliminated by relatively small changes in the labor force - not always.

---------------------------------------

RC00144-07
The passage is primarily concerned with

A. clarifying the definition of a concept - p1
B. proposing a way to eliminate an undesirable condition - weak
C. discussing the sources and consequences of a problem - best of the lot.
D. suggesting ways to alleviate the effects of a particular social policy - no
E. evaluating the steps that have been taken to correct an imbalance - no

-----------------------------------------

RC00144-08
In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V32
Send PM
I don't know if this passage should be a 600-700 passage. I have seen way more difficult passages in this category.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
malvika2706 wrote:
I don't know if this passage should be a 600-700 passage. I have seen way more difficult passages in this category.

No problem is there with the difficulty level tag this is a 600 Level question

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Kudos
AkshayKS21 wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
(Book Question: 10)
E. workers are usually flexible enough to learn new skills and switch to new jobs

In the above question, how is option D the correct answer? Can anyone explain? GMATNinja

Hi! Let me try.
First D is mentioned in the passage here:
While technological advance almost invariably results in shifts in demands for different types of workers, it does not necessarily result in unemployment. Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations. Relatively large or rapid changes, however, can cause serious problems.

When does unemployment occurs? When there is downward shifts in demand. But when this downward shift is small, passage says that it won't result in unemployment. Rather, firms may chose to "fire" few employees. Firing few employees (attrition) is not similar to unemployment-a situation caused by mass layoffs by multiple firms!
This is what D says: normal attrition is sufficient to reduce size of work force. No mass layoffs necessary to counter the change-if it is small.

Does it make sense?
Now I am not GMATNinja, but tried to help :)

Hi,

Just a small addition, attrition is both 'firing' and people leaving on their own.

Thanks
Saurabh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Structural unemployment—the unemployment that remains even at the peak [#permalink]
aragonn wrote:
P1 - wat is SU?
P2 - factors affecting SU + job loss is not bad. why?
P3 - effects of above thing

RC00144-03
All of the following are mentioned as ways of controlling the magnitude of structural unemployment EXCEPT

Workers can be encouraged to move where there are jobs, to reeducate or retrain themselves, or to retire. In addition, other factors affecting structural unemployment, such as capital movement, can be controlled.

A. using public funds to create jobs - correct; except this all are given in P2
B. teaching new skills to displaced workers -
C. allowing displaced workers to retire -
D. controlling the movement of capital -
E. encouraging workers to move to where jobs are available -

-------------------------------------
RC00144-04
The passage suggests that a potential outcome of higher structural unemployment is
As the wages of those workers are bid up,
C. higher wages for those workers who have skills that are in demand - yes

--------------------------------------

RC00144-05
It can be inferred from the passage that even when there are unemployed workers, labor shortages are still likely to occur if

If there is a growing pool of workers who lack the necessary skills for the available jobs, increases in total labor demand will rapidly generate shortages of qualified workers.

D. the jobs available in certain places require skills that the labor force in those areas lacks
----------------------------------------
RC00144-06

This phenomenon may be an important factor in the rising trend, observed for the past two decades, of unemployment combined with inflation. Government policy has placed a priority on reducing inflation, but these efforts have nevertheless caused unemployment to increase.

A. a socioeconomic problem that can only be addressed by government intervention - too extreme, not sure if it can be addressed by that.
B. a socioeconomic problem that can be characteristic of periods of structural unemployment - unemployment and inflation can be characteristic of SU.
C. an economic problem that results from government intervention in management-labor relations - no
D. an economic problem that results from imperfect applications of technology - not always.
E. an economic problem that can be eliminated by relatively small changes in the labor force - not always.

---------------------------------------

RC00144-07
The passage is primarily concerned with

A. clarifying the definition of a concept - p1
B. proposing a way to eliminate an undesirable condition - weak
C. discussing the sources and consequences of a problem - best of the lot.
D. suggesting ways to alleviate the effects of a particular social policy - no
E. evaluating the steps that have been taken to correct an imbalance - no

-----------------------------------------

RC00144-08
In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations.

In the first question, I was confused between A and C. I did choose option A over option C. I chose A because of the word create jobs. In option C, to retire is mentioned, but I was confused with the word displaced. Nowhere it is mentioned for displaced workers. Though displacement word is used, it isn't applicable for workers.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
nishantgauragmat wrote:
In the first question, I was confused between A and C. I did choose option A over option C. I chose A because of the word create jobs. In option C, to retire is mentioned, but I was confused with the word displaced. Nowhere it is mentioned for displaced workers. Though displacement word is used, it isn't applicable for workers.

Quote:
Workers may lose their jobs and find themselves without the skills necessary to obtain new jobs. Whether this displacement leads to structural unemployment depends on the amount of public and private sector resources devoted to retraining and placing those workers.

Refer to the above sentences taken from the reading passage. Notice that there is a pronoun "this" at the beginning of the latter. "This replacement" refers to "the worker's replacement" in that sentence.

I hope it helps. :)

Kudos if you liked this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
MarinaFD wrote:
Hey there!

Thank you in advance.
Marina

Hi Marina.

Please refer to the following section of the passage:

Quote:
Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations.

It is evident that these changes may not always be gradual (consider "or"). But what Option D suggests is clearly mentioned

Hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:

While technological advance almost invariably results in shifts in demands for different types of workers, it does not necessarily result in unemployment. Relatively small or gradual changes in demand are likely to cause little unemployment. In the individual firm or even in the labor market as a whole, normal attrition may be sufficient to reduce the size of the work force in the affected occupations. Relatively large or rapid changes, however, can cause serious problems.

Hi AndrewN Sir

The question seems simple yet confusing.

The question asks: low demand of labor workers will not cause unemployment - why?
Mind says it still creates at least some unemployment but as given in passage ", it does not necessarily result in unemployment." I move on to answer the question:

When I read D: normal attrition is often sufficient to reduce the size of the work force.
I can't understand how attirition is the reason for not causing unemployment. Infact it seems after low demand , attrition is adding further to unemployment.
(attrition : remove workers and not replaced )
In passage , statements are given as facts one after another. I don't know how can I make it as cause ( because)

What Important piece of logic am I missing here ?
That's why the question seems simple yet confusing for me:(

Thanks!AndrewN
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos