Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GmatDisciple wrote:
Hi all,

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you might have on my chances:

Background: Indian male, 28, Canadian PR
Undergrad Information: B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering @ National Institute of Technology (top 10 engineering college in India) - 8.9 CGPA
Masters Grad: Moved to Canada for Masters in Mechanical Engineering @(Rank 2 univ in Canada) - 89%
GMAT: 670, 690, Aiming for 730+

Work experience and leadership:
  • 4 years at matriculation at the largest engineering, procurement, and construction services company in Canada. No Management experience.
  • Committee Member, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
  • Committee Member, Health and Safety Committee
  • Team Cultural Ambassador
  • Floor Fire Warden and First Aid attendant

Community Leadership: 3 years @ Toastmasters International
  • Division Director, Toastmasters International – Leading a team of 5 volunteer area directors; initiated and persuaded the district-wide roll out of a new simplified quantitative tracking of area directors’ goals and progress;
  • Area Director, Toastmasters International – Motivated and led 75% of clubs within my Area to a distinguished status;
  • Vice President Education, Company Toastmasters Club – Motivated and mentored members to achieve their personal communication goals, leading the club to achieve Toastmasters’ highest club status.
  • Chartered one new club going from ideation, organization to marketing for 20 new members.

Post MBA goals:
Short Term Goals: Corporate Strategy for a engineering consulting firm.
Long Term Goals: Entrepreneurship, CEO

At the moment I feel I primarily lack in a good career progression that I can showcase.
Any advice you might have on that will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your time and feedback.

Your grades are excellent, but even if you get that 730, which is competitive, you needs to show progression on the job and impact off the job. Given your roles at Toastmasters, I suspect you can show that engaged community citizenship and impact. Realize that progression on the job isn't only changes in title; it requires increases in responsibility. So if you can show increased responsibility over time, you can show progression on the job. If you have that and if you get a higher GMAT, then it would make sense for you to apply. If you don't have opportunity for increased responsibility, you may want to look for another position that would give you more responsibility and apply next year.

Best,
Linda
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Don't really think I have much of a chance with my GPA, but curious about how I could possibly fare in R2.

Black Male Canadian, 25

Undergrad GPA: 2.36 at top Canadian school in Economic Development (although all of the low grades were while I was a CS major for most of the time I was in uni)

GMAT: 750 (49Q, 44V)

Work experience: 3 years (4 at matriculation) in ERP Consulting. Worked at a smaller firm for a couple years before taking what was effectively a promotion in title at B4.

Extracurriculars: Actively involved with onboarding and recruitment at B4, president of a major cultural group in university that held events for 100s of attendees regularly, Big Brother, volunteered regularly at asylum seekers home.

Goals: Transition from ERP to strategy consulting with the long term goal of working on projects that align closely with my degree (i.e. international development projects in Africa). Long-term would want to either work at a firm like Dalberg specifically focused on development consulting or be a strategic lead at an organization focused on African development.
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Lekoben,

Thank you for sharing your profile, and congratulations on an excellent GMAT score. You have exciting goals with a potential for significant impact. I want to learn more about your role in ERP Consulting to understand your contributions, leadership, and impact there. You will definitely need to address your GPA and speak about how you have learned from that experience. You do not mention the schools you are targeting, but I recommend you expand your target list beyond Stanford for maximum ROI.

I'd love to help you tell your narrative to top-tier business schools. If you are interested in continuing the conversation, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

Lekoben wrote:
Don't really think I have much of a chance with my GPA, but curious about how I could possibly fare in R2.

Black Male Canadian, 25

Undergrad GPA: 2.36 at top Canadian school in Economic Development (although all of the low grades were while I was a CS major for most of the time I was in uni)

GMAT: 750 (49Q, 44V)

Work experience: 3 years (4 at matriculation) in ERP Consulting. Worked at a smaller firm for a couple years before taking what was effectively a promotion in title at B4.

Extracurriculars: Actively involved with onboarding and recruitment at B4, president of a major cultural group in university that held events for 100s of attendees regularly, Big Brother, volunteered regularly at asylum seekers home.

Goals: Transition from ERP to strategy consulting with the long term goal of working on projects that align closely with my degree (i.e. international development projects in Africa). Long-term would want to either work at a firm like Dalberg specifically focused on development consulting or be a strategic lead at an organization focused on African development.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numeorus activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I plan to work in an early stage startup or a VC fund in the two year after graduating and start my CFA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q158 V155

GRE 2: Q163 V159

GRE 3: Q163 V159
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
JUST A DETAILED REVIEW OF WHAT I DO and what i am.... I work for a public sector bank wherein the government of India owns 55%... there is tough competition to get into this job.. its not a Investment bank or a foreign bank... its a government bank with a triple bottom line... it may be treated as government career as most of our day to day functions involve implementing government policies with respect to financial inclusion, out reach of credit to rural poor, improving agriculture sector through involvement with village governments, engaging with rural women to uplift them through Self help groups, etc ( and i have done this as a job for 3.5 of 4 years on a daily basis)...

Just want to know my chances at Tuck

Background and nationality-
26 years , Indian, male,

Undergrad Information- Aerospace Engineer - SRM UNIVERSITY
7.32/10 GPA- top 25% of the class- (university level- TOP 40 in India)

GMAT: 730 ( on 3 gmat prep mocks -- test on Nov 7th with target of 770 which i will likely achieve)

Work experience and leadership - largest bank and financial services group (public sector) of the country ( back bone of the Indian economy )... State Bank of India (TOP 50 global bank and a F 500 company) .. selected as one of the 2000 officers out of 2.5 million applicants.

1. Credit analyst- 6 months- Commercial Credit- State Bank of India
Ensuring risk quality and credit quality aspects of proposals appraised keeping in view the credit policy of the bank. Performing industry analysis, due diligence processes, etc. Obtaining and analysing relevant financial information, including operating statements and balance sheets for carrying out CRA exercise/preparation of proposals for underwriting new loans, increasing loan commitments, periodical review or substantive changes in terms.Preparation of reports of Special Mention Accounts (NPA) for submission to the appropriate authorities.
Carrying out inspection of units as and when required and mandated in the loan agreement.Ensuring compliance with the bank’s credit policy, local regulatory requirements and compliance with the central bank. Coordinate with officers handling opreations to ensure timely updating and modification of data/terms and conditions/ date of review/approval etc are in the system as and when such change takes place for ensuring correctness of data and information. Achieved more than 35% growth over existing loan book of the asset management team that I worked in a span of 4 months. Appraised credit facilities to the tune of $99 million (Rs 705 cr). Handled 17 corporates accounts with a total exposure of $244.36 million.

2. Deputy Branch Manager of large branch- 1 year 2 months- State bank of India
Incharge of Branch Operations, the head of staff, and head of personal banking division at the branch level.Was directly responsible for the functioning, training, and working of 8 full time staff members. Was incharge of business development in the areas of customer acquisition, agriculture, bullion backed credit, personal segment advances, deposit mobilisation, and cross selling.
Achievements
MANAGING DIRECTOR’S CLUB- MUTUAL FUNDS- OUSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN Bank's MUTUAL FUNDS- 3RD IN THE STATE AMONG 19853 EMPLOYEES.
GOLD QUALIFIER IN YEAR END CAMPAIGN- MUTUAL FUND- FELICITATED BY CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER.. 7th among 19853 employees.
CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE- TOP 3 IN THE STATE
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Network of 850 branches by the General Manager of the network
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Region of 48 branches by the Assistant General Manager/ Regional Manager
The following are the achievements of the team that I lead as the DBM
Gold loan campaign- Was among the 35 branches that qualified in the national level twice in 2 back to back months
QUALIFIED xyz CAMPAIGN- TOPPER AT THE NETWORK LEVEL AMONG 830 BRANCHES.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB – NOMINATED BY ALL THE DGMS IN THE STATE TO BE BEST BRANCH AMONG 1300 BRANCHES.

3. Branch Manager – 8 months- State Bank of India
As branch manager lead a team of 4 staff members with Rs35 millions of business. Primarily responsible for business development of the branch, functioning of the staff, marketing, appraising MSME credit proposals, ensuring due-diligence of all liability and asset products, and overall security measures of the branch premises.As Branch Manager and team lead, I had along with my team successfully tripled the number of deposit holders in a span of 6 months, increased the agri-gold loan business by 150% over the previous fiscal, sourced and apprised MSME loans to the value of 300% the asset portfolio of the branch, made the branch a 100% digitally banked rural branch from 15% previously by conducting digital awareness programs in the nearby villages, with the help of Sarpanchs ( head of the village level government) and also insured 85% of salaried factory workers from a previous level of 3% a feat appreciated by the GM of the network.

4. New recruit officer - 2 years- State Bank of India
Mandatory time of 2 years of learning of the bank policies and assisting the branch functionaries in business development.
Handled crowds of about 20,000 everyday for 3 months during the demonetization (lineups were 2-3 kms) exercise that took place in 2016 (the greatest challenge at the time).
Increased revenue of a branch by 50%.

Leadership
Leadership (extra-curricular):

1. Organiser and Head of Planning Committee – DEPARTMENT FEST – 2013
Organized and planned the UN international Space week in Aerospace Department. Planned, Created, and set-up events for participation. Coordinated and Managed 50+ volunteers for the success of the technical fest.

2. Joint Secretary and English teacher- a student based NGO- 2012-2013
Was a part of the management team of a student based NGO. As Joint Secretary, I developed syllabus and teaching functions, guidelines for environment awareness focus campaigns , put together the online campaigning strategy, formulated HR policies including setting up of different verticals , conducting interviews for on-boarding of volunteers, conducting induction programs for new volunteers of the newly formed NGO. I was also given additional responsibility of being in charge of the book wings program where I planned, organized, scheduled classes on a weekly basis for teaching English to under-privileged children.

3. Director & President – student based ngo -2013-2015
As the director of Go Green, I was directly responsible for 200 volunteers. Organized Beach clean-up programs, environmental cleanliness awareness campaigns, water conversation campaigns, animal habitat restoration programs, sanitation awareness programs etc., . As the director, I was in charge of proper policy implementation of the NGO to ensure effective outreach of the awareness campaigns, build relationships with the external agencies for planning events of a larger scale, ensuring that every volunteer is well versed on climate change & sustainable development goals relating to environment and helping the junior volunteers in the on-boarding by conducting induction programs and team building exercises. As the first Director, I had an additional responsibility of formulating polices on succession of the directors and voting of green-captains .

4. Volunteer- Earthlings- 2015-present
active environmental activist in my city and region by participating in awareness programs and educating the general public.( couldnt take up a leadership position because of time constraints as i have 6 day week and have to come in even on sundays with a 15 hr work schedule... that being said i have always pitched my view because of my experience of running an NGO)

IF these count.. because all these are part of my job (outside daily business though)
1. Member of the District level committee on Industrial policy.
2. Member of the Mandal Level committee (one step lower than the district level) on banking, and financial inclusion.
3. Member and advisor of the Telangana State Industrial infrastructure corporation at the Mandal level.
4. Member of the Bank's regional committee on strategy and business growth.
5. Member of the Bank's regional committee on Agriculture, Self-help Group (women empowerment through banking), and small credits.

Community and others- Have a deep connection with nature and environment. Always been an active activist for environmental causes. Have been volunteering for the past 7 years of my life biweekly to raise awareness and continue to do so.
Hobbies: Cooking, volunteering for the good, teaching (i teach the kids of my house maid and their colony members on saturdays and sundays), love playing and watching soccer.

Post MBA goals- Want to work for not-for-profit organisations in the social sector that create impact on lives, eg like the gates foundation. Basically want to stick to the public and social sector where i will be working to uplift lives.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hi!

I am 24, Indian, UG in Computer Science Engineering.

Work ex: Consulting at Tier-II consulting firm ( Fortune 500 professional services company) - Got a policy exception to join consulting from technology without an MBA - the youngest member of consulting practice at my company in India - due for promotion which will make 3 promotions in 3 years of my career at the company.

Extra-curricular:

1. Trustee of a sports foundation - We train underprivileged kids in sports for free with an aim to make them professional athletes. This foundation is under leadership of an accomplished Paralympian
2. Advisor to an NGO which has fixed over 500 garbage dumps in India
3. Advisor to Member of Parliament ( Congressman ) - Help him with policies and initiatives around startups and tech

Reason for MBA - Get a deeper understanding of business and global markets and build a global network. I want to come back to India post-MBA and work for a VC along with helping the government in building a strong startup ecosystem for my country.

I am planning to write an MBA in the next 4 months and apply to class of 2021. You advice will be very helpful formulizing my strategy going forward.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V32
Send PM
Hi,

Please help me evaluate my profile:

Background and nationality : Indian Female with 6.5 years of work experience in Technology.

Undergrad Information: B.Tech from NIT, Allahabad in top 5% in class --- GPA : 8.5/10 , high school 92% and secondary school 91%
leadership role in undergrad- General secretary of college, hostel president.

GMAT: 700 (retaking gmat in a few weeks)

-currently working with OLX group as a senior software engineer - past 6 months
- worked with Goldman sachs for ~6 years in technology division. Joined as an analyst, promoted to associate after 3 years and (fast track)promoted to Vice President in 2 years.
- have led various software projects at GS and at OLX, significant experience working with cross-cultural teams and internationally diverse folks due to travel and clients etc
- involved in campus recruitment initiate for 1 year and training for summer interns at GS
- reverse mentored the ceo of gs for 1.5 years

Community and others
- led the women in tech chapter at GS for 2 years
- part of Diversity and Inclusion initiate at OLX
- volunteered to help women seek career opportunties in tech
- taught underprivileged students mathematics at an ngo for 6 months
-participated in oxfam 50k trailwalk and raised money for fight against inequality, partcipated in a few marathon events for women equality initiatives

Post MBA goals
- Product Management role at a tech firm

please let me know what you think. Other schools that I am considering are - Tepper, UCLA, MIT, Hass. (I know the chances to get in stan are really less). Also trying for a higher gmat score.

Thanks alot for your inputs.
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
malvika2706 wrote:
Hi,

Please help me evaluate my profile:

Background and nationality : Indian Female with 6.5 years of work experience in Technology.

Undergrad Information: B.Tech from NIT, Allahabad in top 5% in class --- GPA : 8.5/10 , high school 92% and secondary school 91%
leadership role in undergrad- General secretary of college, hostel president.

GMAT: 700 (retaking gmat in a few weeks)

-currently working with OLX group as a senior software engineer - past 6 months
- worked with Goldman sachs for ~6 years in technology division. Joined as an analyst, promoted to associate after 3 years and (fast track)promoted to Vice President in 2 years.
- have led various software projects at GS and at OLX, significant experience working with cross-cultural teams and internationally diverse folks due to travel and clients etc
- involved in campus recruitment initiate for 1 year and training for summer interns at GS
- reverse mentored the ceo of gs for 1.5 years

Community and others
- led the women in tech chapter at GS for 2 years
- part of Diversity and Inclusion initiate at OLX
- volunteered to help women seek career opportunties in tech
- taught underprivileged students mathematics at an ngo for 6 months
-participated in oxfam 50k trailwalk and raised money for fight against inequality, partcipated in a few marathon events for women equality initiatives

Post MBA goals
- Product Management role at a tech firm

please let me know what you think. Other schools that I am considering are - Tepper, UCLA, MIT, Hass. (I know the chances to get in stan are really less). Also trying for a higher gmat score.

Thanks alot for your inputs.

Right Now Stanford is a stretch. However if your raise your GMAT, you would have a competitive profile for Stanford. In terms of your goals, you have chosen your schools well (again assuming a higher GMAT). You may also want to consider Ross and Kellogg. perhaps post again when you get your GMAT.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numeorus activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

Knowing how difficult VC is to get into I'd be looking at Management Consulting and early stage startups as options too.

I plan to work in an early stage startup or an MBB firm in the two years after graduating and start my CFA.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi!

I would like to have a sense of the trade-off between age and GMAT score. As well as an evaluation of my chances to get into Stanford.

The question is simple: Apply with a 680 GMAT this year (Intake 2020:R2) or apply with an estimated 710 GMAT but one year older (intake 2021:R1)?

Average GMAT for Stanford is super high, as we all know, so getting closer definitely matters, but also I turn 29 on 2020 so I fear about age discrimination. My first exam without any studying was 640 and I've gone up only 40 points so I know I can get higher with time and effort. The rest of my application would remain "the same" I would have an extra year of managerial experience though as I've recently been promoted.

Background
Demographics
Latin (Salvadoran) Male, 28
Studies
Majored in Economics from country's top business school
Magna Cum Laude
Partial Scholarship from a national program based on academic performance
GPA: 8.8 (10 point based scale, top 5 out of 90)
1 year double degree program (exchange) with a German university (majored in International Business Management)
Current GMAT
Work experience
5 years: 3 in FMCG for a world known company, 2 in a telecom multinational
3 years in analytics, 2 in Product Management. A total of 5 different roles/titles. Currently a manager with a team of 2.
Recommendations
Directors in both companies I've worked for. I was a direct report. I expect an honest but very good recommendation.
Community
Teacher in an "english for work" program directed at high-school students in low income area (past 2 years).
Member of a known international youth organization seeking to help local communities (current).
Others
Started an mobile app design company in 2012 (while studying 2nd year). Sold my stake after a year, company stills exists today (small).
Economic debate national winner representing my university
2nd place in national entrepreneurship competition
Post MBA goals
Start a tech consumer or BPO firm based in latam

Any help appreciated!
Thank you very much.
[Posted in my top 3 schools' forum]
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [2]
Send PM
Kudos