Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [55]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon [#permalink]
Kudos
C it should be..

A- awkward.. Illogical
B - It
D - awkward and Wordy
E- This

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Re: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon [#permalink]
I am still confused between A and C,can some one please elaborate,why C and why not A?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
pranjul wrote:
I am still confused between A and C,can some one please elaborate,why C and why not A?

Posted from my mobile device

Re-read the option A:
Quote:
A) by harming their habitats as a result of altering the environment

If we ask the question, how does global warming harm their habitats? the answer is: by altering the environment. The presence of 'as a result of altering the environment' at the end of the sentence doesn't clearly show that global warming is altering the environment. In A, there is an ambiguity of who/ what is altering the environment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
sriramsundaram91,

What is the antecedent of 'it' in B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
akshaykotha wrote:
sriramsundaram91,

What is the antecedent of 'it' in B?

It can be phenomenon/environment
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Still don't understand Why A is not correct. I am so confuse right now.
Can someone try to explain it to me, please ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 110
GRE 1: Q167 V160
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Coggi: Consider this explanation:

Global warming will cause havoc among birds
Cause 1 = Global Warming
Effect 1 = Cause Havoc

Global warming will cause havoc among birds by harming their habitats
If the sentence was this long, it surely would have worked.
Cause 1 = Global Warming
Effect 1 = Cause Havoc
Effect 2 = Harming Habitats

Global warming will cause havoc among birds by harming their habitats as a result of altering the environment
Cause 1 = Global Warming
Effect 1= Cause Havoc
Effect 2 = Harming Habitats
Effect 3 = Altering the environments
However, as a result makes it sound like it is actually a cause, not an effect thus creating confusion

Altering the environment - Cause or effect?!

However, when you write the sentence like this:

Global warming causes havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to the birds' habitats

Global Warming (cause 1) -> Causes Havoc (effect 1)
Alters environment (cause 2- in continuation to effect 1) - > harms habitats (effect 2)

Hope this makes things clear!

I have a slightly different question: Shouldn't option C have 'harmful to the birds' habitats' instead of 'their habitats'? Does the presence of 'environment' in the sentence not pose a problem for usage of 'their' as a pronoun?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everybody:

May anyone explain why A is incorrect? Its not clear for me.

Thanks!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [3]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
juan20082037 wrote:
Hello everybody:

May anyone explain why A is incorrect? Its not clear for me.

Thanks!

Hello juan20082037, Coggi, Jbrandl1, and all the others who have confusion regarding why Choice A is incorrect.

The original sentence says: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by harming their habitats as a result of altering the environment.

The sentence presents a couple of cause-and-effect events.

First instance: Cause - harm to their habitats; Effect - (will create) havoc among migratory birds.

Second instance: Cause - alteration of the environment; Effect - (will create) havoc among migratory birds.

The way the sentence is worded, the two causes appear to be independent causes leading to the same effect. Moreover, the factor of environmental alteration does not associate with global warming also. So, the way the sentence is written, it does not present the intended logical meaning very clearly.

Now let's study the correct answer choice C: The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

This sentence clearly states the events as they will unfold: global warming will create havoc among migratory birds. How? By changing the environment in such ways that will harm their habitats. Hence, the havoc. So, Choice C conveys the intended meaning very clearly without using complex phrases.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 1203
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Hey GMATNinja this is from Verbal Review OG 2020, can someone update source plx.

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619248 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jcaguirre91 wrote:
Hey GMATNinja this is from Verbal Review OG 2020, can someone update source plx.

Thanks

Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
The expert replies so far aren't satisfactory for a deeper error understanding.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Hi experts,

This was one of the first OG questions I came across in which order really matters. Choice A seems to be grammatically correct, but the meaning is off.

The Official Guide's explanation as to why A is wrong is as follows "although this sentence accurately describes what causes what, the elements are listed in an order that does not correspond to the order of causation (global warming is following by harming the habitats, which is followed by altering the environment.)"

Are there other official questions that you can point me to/would recommend studying in which the concept of causation is tested?

Thank you :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal can you please share your analysis
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos