Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 296
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 2380
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
"Mr. Trump ducked his head, grabbing his lectern with both hands before backing away."

This sentence is from the style editor at the NYT so it should be correct (https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com ... issteps-8/).

Why is grabbing not the past participle grabbed?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja!
I have a question about the usage of "like" vs "as"
"JUST AS the trains were late yesterday, the buses are late today." How is AS correct in this sentence? Since the comparison is between nouns - trains and buses, shouldn't "LIKE" be used here?

Also, is there any rule wherein ONLY AS can be used for comparison? Would you please help clear my confusion!! Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Hi, GMATNinja,

As per Manhattan book, Foundation of GMAT Verbal, i do have a query regarding pronoun usage. Can you let me know anything wrong in my understanding?

True or False: "The company's profits were outstanding, and it went bankrupt because of outrageously poor management".

Explanation from book: The sentence, “The company's profits were outstanding, and it went bankrupt because of outrageously poor management,” would be considered incorrect on the GMAT. TRUE! For this sentence to make sense, and should be but (or yet, etc.).

My understanding: Here, it refers back to company but there is no company in the sentence. So, is it incorrect with respect to pronoun usage?

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi, GMATNinja,

As per Manhattan book, Foundation of GMAT Verbal, i do have a query regarding pronoun usage. Can you let me know anything wrong in my understanding?

True or False: "The company's profits were outstanding, and it went bankrupt because of outrageously poor management".

Explanation from book: The sentence, “The company's profits were outstanding, and it went bankrupt because of outrageously poor management,” would be considered incorrect on the GMAT. TRUE! For this sentence to make sense, and should be but (or yet, etc.).

My understanding: Here, it refers back to company but there is no company in the sentence. So, is it incorrect with respect to pronoun usage?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I know this question isnt posed to me but I had seen/read GMATninjas explanation on possessives. Here the "it" would refer to the companys profits and not the company itself. Hence, the sentence would be wrong.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, absorbing the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

Taking the snippet from egmat pdf document on Verb-ING modifiers.

"As mentioned earlier, verb-ing modifiers are made from “verbs” and they denote action. Now,
any action needs a doer. In the same way, the verb-ing modifiers also associate with the subjects
of the preceding clause. What we must keep in mind is that the action denoted by verb-ing must
make sense with the subject of the clause. The use of verb-ing is correct only if it makes sense
with the subject of the clause it is modifying."

Now the correct sentence here ...

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, absorbing the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

Now here according to the theory, absorbing and protecting are actions (modifiers) that must be done by a doer.

I don't think it is very clear that 'the Army Corps of Engineers' is doing these actions.

Please help!!! Abhi077, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, generis, hazelnut

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by sam9312 on 04 Mar 2020, 10:23.
Last edited by sam9312 on 06 Mar 2020, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello,

Is there a method for approaching SC questions, a protocol or say discrete steps, or is it just based on your choice making capabilities?

I'm really struggling with SCs. I'm generally scoring Q49-50, but my verbal won't go more than 33-35. I'm pretty good with RCs and CRs, but SC questions are creating a lot of problems for me. Please help!! Urgent..

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Ask me anything about GMAT Sentence Correction and grammar

Hello! I'm Charles Bibilos, GMAT Club's resident Verbal Expert, and a GMAT teacher and tutor since... nevermind, I'll feel old if I tell you. :tongue_opt3

This thread is designed to be an absolute free-for-all on SC, and you're welcome to ask me absolutely anything. If your question is related to a specific question or a topic, please provide a link and a bit about what you want me to address.

And if you're looking for very general advice on how to improve your SC skills, try these links first:

Just be warned that non-official questions can be damaging on verbal, so I might be a bit dismissive of flawed, non-official questions. But still: it's an Ask Me Anything thread, so you're obviously welcome to ask me anything. Especially if it involves food. (Because I know you were going to ask: yes, caterpillars are indeed delicious when prepared properly. You're welcome.)

(Edit: because there's a lot of randomness in my soul, I'll answer these questions in no particular order. I'll answer them all eventually, though!)

And if you want to read some of the most generally useful posts on this thread, check out this greatest hits collection.

Hi Gmat Ninja,

Could you help me to understand the following sentence please?

1. I own MORE THAN I should (MGMAT considers more as noun or pronoun in this case)
2. I sleep MORE THAN I should (more is now considered adverb)
(From MGMAT SC pg 185)

Why is that? In the 1st case, isn't MORE modifying OWN as an adverb? So shouldn't it play similar role to the second sentence? Please advise. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Thanks for doing this. In the following question, why is 'viewing' (a comma ing) a noun modifier? I thought 'comma ing's always modified the action of the previous clause.

Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

(A) Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

(B) Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are

(C) Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

(D) Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

(E) Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
When two countries engage in war, there is always one winner and one loser; the winner normally has its version of events included in history texts which are new, while the loser's viewpoint is trivialized usually .

B. the winner normally has its version of events included in new history texts, while the loser's viewpoint is usually trivialized
D. the winner normally has its version of events included in new history texts, while the loser's viewpoint is trivialized usually

Hi Gmatninja, Could you please advise what the rule of the order of adverb and verb is? Just like the example above, should the verb be followed by the adverb or should it be the other way around?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

I want to know is the construction marked in red ( , but instead) right? Isn't it creating double contrast? I know the statement is wrong for other reason too but I want to know more about " but instead".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos