GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 22:17
Hi Gmat Ninja,
Recent interdisciplinary studies advance the argument that emotions, including those deemed personal or private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable from bodily response.

(A) private is a social phenomenon, though one inseparable

(B) private, are social phenomena that are inseparable

(C) private are a social phenomenon but are not those inseparable

(D) private—are social phenomena but not separable

(E) also as private emotions, are social phenomena not inseparable

I understand why all other options are incorrect , but i am curious to know in option B, correct option, how that is able to refer to emotions ?
Intern
Intern
S
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2019, 07:56
Hi Ninja,

Can a prepositional phrase be both Noun and Adverbial Modifier?

Sentence: She placed the cat ON THE COUCH

I'm studying from Manhattan GMAT SC book. It says

1) If the modifier answers a question about the noun, it's a noun modifier.
2) If the modifier answers a question about the action, it's an adverbial modifier.

The modifier "ON THE COUCH" answers two questions.

1) Where is the cat? ON THE COUCH (Noun modifier)

2) Where did she place the cat? ON THE COUCH (Adverbial Modifier)

Is it possible for a propositional phrase to be both? Or my understanding of them is wrong? Please clarify. Thanks a lot.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 480 Q39 V17
GMAT 2: 580 Q42 V27
WE: Other (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 22:03
Hi GMAT ninja. What is the correct usage for the words "understanding" and " to understand". Can you elaborate with an example

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2019, 22:32
Is "Rushing the field during the football game" able to stand alone? If its possible then what is the verb here?

P.S: its from MP Foundation Gmat Verbal

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.05
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 22:35
Hi GMAT-Ninja,

I had a small doubt regarding the Sentence Correction questions.
I am not pretty clear on finding the errors in the given original sentence.
As a result, my approach to solve the problem is still a bit sketchy.
Any strategy,as to what errors should I be looking for initially in the sentence.

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 08:33
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 04:53
Hi Ninja,

Can you please explain the use of past perfect tense in this sentence (Official question, link at the end of query):

Around 1900, fishermen in the Chesapeake Bay area landed more than seventeen million pounds of shad in a single year, but by 1920, over-fishing and the proliferation of milldams and culverts that blocked shad from migrating up their spawning streams had reduced landings to less than four million pounds.

The discussions on the forum say that since the action happened before 1920 so past perfect should be used. However, there are not 2 but 3 time periods in the question - around 1900, between 1900 and 1920, and 1920. If we are using simple past for the first action/time 'around 1900, fishermen......landed....', then how is the use of past perfect justified for second time/action.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/around-1900-fishermen-in-the-chesapeake-bay-area-landed-more-than-203779.html
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2019, 13:39
Hi GMATNinja

If I have a sentence with many "of's" e.g. hundreds of books of mammals what is the subject? What will dictate whether the verb is singular or plural? Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Wharton, IESE, ISB, NUS
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 06:23
https://gmatclub.com/forum/heirloom-tomatoes-grown-from-seeds-saved-from-the-previous-year-only-75868.html#p570995

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Hello Charles. The above question has loosened my bolts of concepts and i will really appreciate if you could help me with my following queries

1. How would you approach this question?
2. I believe many experts are saying that "said " and expected are parallel and if they are parallel , how come in choice E , being a list of two items the "expected" item is followed by " and" preceded by a comma. Basically if we have two entities parallel why would we need comma before "and" . I thought it to be an independent clause.

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2019, 08:58
Hi Charles,

Hope you are doing Great. I request your advice on GMAT SC.
I have given the GMATPrep Mock last week and scored 630 (V31 Q47)

I feel SC is my weakest section.

I started my prep with Manhattan Prep SC this week, but its becoming very difficult to remember so many grammar rules without sufficient number of Qns in the Problem sets.

I am a bit lost as to how to proceed? I am currently planning to do one section every week, Eg: - SC current week followed by CR and RC the following week. Is this a proper way to go about verbal?

Also should I be solving OG simultaneously as I go through Manhattan prep SC or should I proceed with solving OG after I complete the Manhattan Prep?

Look forward to your advice.

Note: I am having my GMAT exam in Exactly 85 Days

Thanks
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 14:37
Federal legislation establishing a fund for the cleanup of sites damaged by toxic chemicals permits compensating state governments for damage to their natural resources but does not allow claims for injury to people.
(A) compensating state governments for damage to
(B) compensating state governments for the damaging of - Even this usage is not correct. damaging of.
(C) giving state governments compensation for damaging - for damaging changes the meaning
(D) giving compensation to state governments for the damage of
(E) the giving of compensation to state governments for damaging - for damaging changes the meaning

Between A and D, OA is A because of parallelism. Can you elaborate more on how to go about this one.
link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/federal-legi ... 37627.html
The tag says it is Pre 2000 OG question.

Thank you!

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2019, 06:52
Hi GMATNinja

In this question, I got why (C) is the correct answer, but can you clarify why (D) is wrong? I would like to understand more about "which" usage:

Question:

Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize

(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize

(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize

(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim

(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 04:27
Hi GMATNinja,

great work on putting up the youtube videos. Loved them.
I have a confusion about the use of "being". Would really appreciate if you would help me understand the correct use of the word "being" in sentence correction. Couple resources I referred to explain the correct use of "being" in two different forms:
i. something is being.... (e.g.: The work is being done. Dont know if this is correct).
ii. Being something is.... (e.g.: "Being the president is both difficult and rewarding.")

Mostly I had deeply printed on my mind that I would cross off any answers that do not conform to these forms. But hey Bummer...! The official guide 2nd edition for verbal review has used the word "being" as below:

B The passage indicates that on average, the profitability of acquired firms fell after being acquired (lines 5–7).
[OG 2nd edition page 94]

Seeking your opinion. Thank you for being such supportive to everyone. [Now is this a correct use?]

Cheers!
Diwash.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 11:31
Dear Diwash,

Vvv simple rule for the use of "being".
Try to sense from the meaning of being is indicating "a temporary phase" or not.
If yes, then use of being is ok.
If NO, then the use of "being"is wrong. So, all depends on the implied MEANING of that part of the sentence.

IMHO,
Regards

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 12:53
It is as difficult to prevent crimes against property as those that are against a person.

A) those that are against a
B) those against a
C) it is against a
D) preventing those against a
E) it is to prevent those against a

I kind of get that E) is correct, but isn't C also correct? And more concise? I get confused with such parallel constructions. Sometimes we use the verb sometimes we don't. Can you please help?
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Kellogg '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 04:14
GMATNinja

Could you please help me with this question- https://gmatclub.com/forum/published-du ... 02278.html

I am confused b/w C and E
i rejected C beause in C we donot have a clear reference for his friend in "his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide"

Please help
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2019, 00:50
Hi Sir,

Hope you are doing well. Here's my doubt,

Since it is one of the world’s swiftest growers, gaining up to 1 meter a day, and can be harvested in under ten years, half the time it takes for the softest woods to mature, experts indicate that bamboo, China’s forgotten plant, should be considered “green gold”.

As per the solution, the above underlined portion is correct. My doubt is regarding the modifier. All the properties- one of the world's swiftest growers, gains 1 meter a day, and can be harvested under 10 years- talk about Bamboo plants and not about experts. Then why is it that right after the modifier, we have 'experts' as the subject or am I missing out on something? Please help.

Good Day!
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2019, 10:57
I have a few questions related to Pronouns

1. When the pronoun appears as a part of the introductory modifier-

Although he spent most of his twenties and thirties as a struggling actor, Jon Hamm later gained prominence in NBC drama "Providence".
Is it necessary for Jon Hamm to immediately follow the clause that starts with although?
If later precedes Jon Hamm, will it be incorrect?

2.a. It takes great courage to prevail amidst uncertainty.
Does the pronoun "it" refers to the phrase 'to prevail amidst uncertainty'? or is it simply a placeholder?

b. Long before it was prevalent for African Americans to enter politics, Alexander Twilight became the first African American to serve in the state legislature.
Is the 'it' here a placeholder? or does it refer to phrase 'for African Americans to enter politics'?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , other experts - please enlighten
Senior Manager
G
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 05:48
Is it necessary for Jon Hamm to immediately follow the clause that starts with although?

On the GMAT, when an introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent, the referent for the pronoun is invariably the FIRST WORD of the main clause.
Consider the following examples from the OG12:

Q7: As ITS sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, THE COMPANY..
Q28: Building on civilizations that preceded THEM in coastal Peru, THE MOHICA...
Q31: Even though many of HER colleagues were convinced that genes were relatively simple and static, BARBARA MCCLINTOCK...

In each case, the introductory modifier includes a pronoun without an antecedent.
In each case, the referent for the pronoun is the first word of the main clause.
Be skeptical of any answer choice that violates this rule.

2.a. It takes great courage to prevail amidst uncertainty.
Does the pronoun "it" refers to the phrase 'to prevail amidst uncertainty'? or is it simply a placeholder?[/quote]

b. Long before it was prevalent for African Americans to enter politics, Alexander Twilight became the first African American to serve in the state legislature.
Is the 'it' here a placeholder? or does it refer to phrase 'for African Americans to enter politics'?

Even when it serves as an EXPLETIVE -- also known as a placeholder pronoun -- the referent for it should still be crystal clear.
In the first sentence, the referent for it is the infinitive in blue.
Conveyed meaning:
To prevail amidst uncertainty takes great courage.
In the second sentence, the referent for it is the infinitive in green.
Conveyed meaning:
Long before to enter politics was prevalent for African Americans, Alexander Twilight became the first African American to serve in the state legislature.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 19:59
Hello Gmat NINJA,
I just have a quick question considering the use of 'as' in comparison.
AS, when used in the comparison, should be followed by a clause. And in general, AS sets off a comparison between actions. (pls correct me if I am wrong).
But I just saw a sentence, maybe in the Manhattan SC.
'As in the previous case, the judge took an early break.' [/i]->Does this usage break the general assumption of AS b/c it is followed by a prep phrase? what is being compared here in the sentence?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2019, 19:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 203 posts ] 

GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics