Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Hello GMATNinja,

Below question is from Manhattan GMAT

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-universi ... 70345.html
Quote:
The university science library, as most libraries, prohibits students to borrow rare, expensive, or popular reference materials; such materials are designated for use in the library only.

B. like most libraries, prohibits students from borrowing

I was able to select correct answer for correct reasons. My doubt here is with sentence " like most libraries". Shouldn't it be "like most other libraries" ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
sanchawla wrote:
When releasing an animal that has lived in captivity back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat.

A. releasing an animal that has lived in captivity back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

B. an animal that has lived in captivity is released back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure if it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

C. releasing an animal back into a wild environment that has lived in captivity, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

D. an animal is released back into a wild environment that has lived in captivity, zoologists can never be sure if it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

E. an animal that has lived in captivity is released back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat or not

The answer is A but I marked E - is using ing form of verb with When appropriate? Why is E wrong?

First understand the difference between if and whether .
If is used for conditional statement
whether is used for optional statement

So , by this logic we can eliminate answer option B and D.
Remaining A,C,E
when we use whether, it is understood that animal will adapt or not .
'or not' at end of answer option E is causing redundacy.
Whether + or not is unidiomatic and redundant .
It was a close call between A and C but A is using correct grammatical structure so A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Shubhp wrote:
sanchawla wrote:
When releasing an animal that has lived in captivity back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat.

A. releasing an animal that has lived in captivity back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

B. an animal that has lived in captivity is released back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure if it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

C. releasing an animal back into a wild environment that has lived in captivity, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

D. an animal is released back into a wild environment that has lived in captivity, zoologists can never be sure if it will successfully adapt to its new habitat

E. an animal that has lived in captivity is released back into a wild environment, zoologists can never be sure whether it will successfully adapt to its new habitat or not

The answer is A but I marked E - is using ing form of verb with When appropriate? Why is E wrong?

First understand the difference between if and whether .
If is used for conditional statement
whether is used for optional statement

So , by this logic we can eliminate answer option B and D.
Remaining A,C,E
when we use whether, it is understood that animal will adapt or not .
'or not' at end of answer option E is causing redundacy.
Whether + or not is unidiomatic and redundant .
It was a close call between A and C but A is using correct grammatical structure so A is the answer.

Hey Shubhp,
Although I think the asker probably wanted some more clarity with option A, those are good points! The "or not" after "whether" is usually redundant, especially on GMAT sentences. The if/whether distinction also holds most of the time. So, there's not much wrong with the things you said. However (and this doesn't pertain to the question or a concept or grammar at all), posts on this particular topic "GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar" are directed at GMATNinja

He's created this topic to answer questions from people who want an answer specifically from him. And there are many people like that.

I see that you've only recently joined gmatclub, so maybe you weren't aware of this.

I don't mean any harm. This is just to inform you, in case you didn't know.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja, would really like your help explaining here, very difficult to get it right. Special problem is in the OA since the first part has "whether it has been" tense form while the second has "whether Leonardo first sketched"

Official question here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/art-historia ... 76856.html

Originally posted by azfarsulaiman1 on 09 Aug 2020, 07:23.
Last edited by azfarsulaiman1 on 03 Sep 2020, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hello!

I'm currently working on my Sentence Correction for GMAT. I'm do fairly well with the medium level questions but having some difficulty with the hard level. If I'm doing the questions timed, then I tend to get nervous and if the entire sentence or most of the sentence is underlined then just forget about it!! My nerves kick in and my focus goes out the door. Any tips you can share on how to tackle the 700 level SC questions and keeping nerves calm will be very helpful.

Looking forward to your response. Also, I hope my message is grammatically correct... :)

Regards,
Tahira
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Hi Ninja,

may I know the difference between "which"and "of which"? I saw a question here and I think the first thing i need to know is the diff between these two...

Many successful startup companies have raised hundreds of millions of dollars, of which the majority must be repaid to investors and other preferred shareholders before employees receive any funds.

A) of which the majority must be repaid to investors and other preferred shareholders before employees receive any funds

B) of which the majority must be repaid to investors and other preferred shareholders before employees had received any funds

C) the majority of it must be repaid to investors and other preferred shareholders before employees receive any funds

D) and the majority of this must be repaid to investors and other preferred shareholders before the reception of any funds by employees

E) the majority of which are repaid to investors and other preferred shareholders before employees receive any funds

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hello GMAT Ninja,
Would you kindly give the explanation of this question from you ?

Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite, while each year sixteen buildings can be expected to sustain damage from such objects.

(A) one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite
(B) a human being should be struck by a meteorite once in every nine years
(C) a meteorite will strike one human being once in every nine years
(D) every nine years a human being will be struck by a meteorite
(E) every nine years a human being should be struck by a meteorite
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Maghla wrote:
Hello GMAT Ninja,
Would you kindly give the explanation of this question from you ?

Canadian scientists have calculated that one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite, while each year sixteen buildings can be expected to sustain damage from such objects.

(A) one human being should be struck every nine years by a meteorite
(B) a human being should be struck by a meteorite once in every nine years
(C) a meteorite will strike one human being once in every nine years
(D) every nine years a human being will be struck by a meteorite
(E) every nine years a human being should be struck by a meteorite

This question is discussed in detail here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/canadian-sci ... 01939.html BTW, that topic has GMAT Ninja reply.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
GMATNinja

Please explain why option A &E is wrong
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

A if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer
B rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer
C the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer
D the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that
E when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated underground or in pieces of wood, raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form "curtains" of ants that hang from logs or boulders, providing protection for the queen and the colony larvae and pupae.

(A) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants,

(B) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, which are

(C) leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are

(D) leaf cutters and most other ants in having nests

(E) those of leaf cutters and most other ants with nests
Can you please explain how in option D in having modifies raider ants and why it's not modifying other ants.I thought that it's giving additional info for other ants.

How to look upon this whether at which entity in having is modifying.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 7.9
Send PM
Hi,

Could you please help me understand the difference between 'credit(ed) to' and 'credit(ed) with'. While solving SC questions with such idiomatic usage, I tend to select the wrong option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMATNinja San :)

I have the below observation in the following questions.
Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were last year.
(A) Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were
(B) Heating-oil prices are expected to rise higher this year over last because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(C) Expectations are for heating-oil prices to be higher this year than last year's because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
(D) It is the expectation that heating-oil prices will be higher this year over last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil now than what they were
(E) It is expected that heating-oil prices will rise higher this year than last year's because refiners pay about $5 a barrel for crude oil more than they did
In C
Last years' is incorrect because we don't know last years' what can be Prices or Expectations (both logical so 2 possibilities)
Experts point out out that last years' or a valid apostrophe usage requires something to be in the possessive earlier as per my understanding of the thread.

However in the below:
We have option C correct with no possessive earlier. 2 possibilities are ape's Neanderthals (illogical) and ape's vocal tracts (logical). Only 1 logical
Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.
(A) Neanderthals had a vocal tract that resembled those of the apes
(B) Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape’s
(C) The vocal tracts of Neanderthals resembled an ape’s
(D) The Neanderthal’s vocal tracts resembled the apes’
(E) The vocal tracts of the Neanderthals resembled those of the apes

Other issues aside in the above sentences,
Is the absence of an earlier possessive a deterministic grammar error or we have to resolve for meaning?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM