Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 01:20 It is currently 11 May 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33001 [7]
Given Kudos: 4474
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9272 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: A chemical factory produces two kinds of unnatural amino acids: acid A [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RajatGMAT777 wrote:
Can You post the solution for this problem, I am not able to understand the logic behind time calculation given the proportion of Amino Acids been manufactured?
Thanks in Advance Experts :please: :please: :)

The question is about ratios alone, so we can freely invent quantities and work with those (to avoid letters and fractions). If 1/3 of the acid was type A, then we can imagine the factory produced 1 unit of acid A, and thus 2 units of acid B. We also know the time it takes to produce one unit of acid B is 2/5 of the time it takes to produce one unit of acid A. So we can imagine it takes 2 hours to produce a unit of acid B, and thus 5 hours to produce a unit of acid A. Since the factory produced 2 units of B, that took 2*2 = 4 hours, and since it produced 1 unit of acid A, that took 1*5 = 5 hours, so 4/(4 + 5) = 4/9 of the time was spent producing acid B.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33001 [1]
Given Kudos: 4474
Send PM
Re: A chemical factory produces two kinds of unnatural amino acids: acid A [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
OE

Let us use plugging in numbers for unknown values.

Let the Total acid produced= 30 units ⇒Acid A=1/3 30=10 units

Acid B= 20 units

Let time taken to produce per unit Acid A= 5 hours ⇒Time taken to produce per unit Acid B= 2/5 ∗ 5=2 hours

Number of hours the factory took to produce acid B=2 × 20= 40

Total Number of hours factory took to produce both acid A and acid B= (2 × 20) + (5 × 10) = 90

Then, 40/90 = 4/9

Hence, the answer is B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4119 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
when given data in fractions always take LCM of Dr and take a simple value
in this case
let total Unit of Acid be 15
so A will be 5 and B is 10
also for time for a be 5
so B takes 2 hrs
total time to mfg B acid ; 10*2; 20 hrs
all the acid ; 5* 5 ; 25+20 ( total 45)
20/45 ' 4/9
option B

carcass wrote:
A chemical factory produces two kinds of unnatural amino acids: acid A and acid B. Of the acids produced by the factory last year, 1/3 were acid A and the rest were acid B. If it takes 2/5 as many hours to produce acid B per unit as it does to produce acid A per unit, then the number of hours it took to produce the acid B last year was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the acids?
A. 2/5
B. 4/9
C. 17/35
D. 1/2
E. 5/9
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93155 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts