Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V42
GMAT 3: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 4: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
Vubar wrote:
Interesting! Manhattan normally are pretty good with that kind of thing... I might have to check my copy of the verbal book to see what they say there haha.

And yeah, it was a nice event. I just tried to support a little

Ah got it! Yeah I saw that rule in Manhattan prep haha. Btw I saw you get a shout out for gmatninja 24 hour crash course!!
[/quote]

I’m still kind of new and for some reason can’t figure out how to PM you but if you’re looking for a study buddy my test is in two weeks :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
No worries! Feel free to join our study group! (Hopefully you can see the link in my signature?)

I'll be happy to help if I can :)

I'm planning to take the exam again but not too soon tbh, so I need to avoid getting too rusty!

phambrenda wrote:
Vubar wrote:
Interesting! Manhattan normally are pretty good with that kind of thing... I might have to check my copy of the verbal book to see what they say there haha.

Ah got it! Yeah I saw that rule in Manhattan prep haha. Btw I saw you get a shout out for gmatninja 24 hour crash course!!

I’m still kind of new and for some reason can’t figure out how to PM you but if you’re looking for a study buddy my test is in two weeks :)

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vubar wrote:
No worries! Feel free to join our study group! (Hopefully you can see the link in my signature?)

I'll be happy to help if I can :)

I'm planning to take the exam again but not too soon tbh, so I need to avoid getting too rusty!

phambrenda wrote:
Vubar wrote:

Posted from my mobile device
[/quote]

Can you please send it to me? I’m not seeing it
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
phambrenda

Can you let me know which part of our curriculum you were looking at? There are definitely no such concrete rules about comma usage, so I want to make sure whatever we printed was clear on that. Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
phambrenda wrote:
Can someone please help me understand why you can use comma and for a dependent phrase here? I thought you can only use the comma and for a list of more than three items and connecting two independent clauses.
(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

I'm a little bit late to the party, but we attempted to address this question earlier in the thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/at-the-end-o ... l#p2603846. If that doesn't do the trick, just let us know if you still have questions.

Also, I imagine that the study group organized by Vubar is a ton of fun. He was one of the most visible supporters of my marathon madness, so at the very least, the guy is excellent at all-nighters! ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and motion picture industry representatives expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

(B) online and motion picture industry representatives expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(C) online, and motion picture industry representatives they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(D) online, and motion picture industry representatives said that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and motion picture industry representatives said that that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Can someone explain me why there is a comma between "online *,* and that"

This highlights an initiation of a new independent clause.

For the very same reason I wasn't choosing option E
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
milanrajb wrote:
Can someone explain me why there is a comma between "online *,* and that"

This highlights an initiation of a new independent clause.

For the very same reason I wasn't choosing option E

Milan, the same has been discussed multiple times by multiple experts in this thread. So, if you could just do a little digging, I am sure you will have your query answered.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Hi, I have doubts in below options.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

Will option A be correct if- '' online and they expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections BECOMING more widely available

Is it ok to use modifiers here v/s verb (became) in option E. I guess meaning derived is same?

I generally get confused when I see ''with...'' phrase. Is this usage correct here.

'that' at the start (said that) can be taken common for 2nd part (and that they expected) ?

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

in option D and E- ''expected the increase of piracy'' v/s ''expected the piracy to increase'' - meaning looks same to me. Is it so?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi, I have doubts in below options.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

Will option A be correct if- '' online and they expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections BECOMING more widely available

Is it ok to use modifiers here v/s verb (became) in option E. I guess meaning derived is same?

I generally get confused when I see ''with...'' phrase. Is this usage correct here.

'that' at the start (said that) can be taken common for 2nd part (and that they expected) ?

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

in option D and E- ''expected the increase of piracy'' v/s ''expected the piracy to increase'' - meaning looks same to me. Is it so?

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your queries, your version of Option A is correct, and yes; D and E convey the same meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123

"The increase" in D is a little funny, and doesn't convey quite the same thing as the version in E. By placing "the" in front of increase, we're implying that there WAS actually an increase, and that the representatives successfully predicted it. That's not the same thing as saying that they thought an increase would occur. For instance, if I think there will be a rainstorm today, I might "expect a rainstorm" or "expect the weather to turn stormy." But if I say "I expect the rainstorm," you'd wonder "What rainstorm?"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: HBS '25
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
Send PM
I'd like to add one more explanation to why D doesn't make sense

In direct speech, the below two scenarios are possible:

1. We expect the increase of piracy as high speed internet connections will become more widely available
2. We expect piracy to increase as high speed internet connections become more widely available

according to which both D and E seems fair. But, if we consider the indirect speech individually,

D. ...they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

Correct usage of would: As water would become widely [Future in the past] available, we can do farming [Referring to future]
Usage in D: As water would become widely [Future in the past] available, we did farming [Referring to past, a construction that is non-sensical]

E. ...they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Makes sense as both the events are in past
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 457
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q32 V49
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja ChiranjeevSingh

In option D "online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available", is the use of 'would become' incorrect?

Does 'would become' represents hypothetical scenario (would + base verb)?
Can it not be past form of 'will'. Eg: The scientist believed that the machine would be wonderful. (would + base verb - used with past tense to represent expectation of future from the POV of past)?

Is the usage wrong because it is used with 'as' (representing simultaneous events) and thus, 'would become' needs to be written in past tense form.

Please help to clarify the doubt.

Thanks in advance!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShubhamAgarwal wrote:

In option D "online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available", is the use of 'would become' incorrect?

Can it not be past form of 'will'. Eg: The scientist believed that the machine would be wonderful. (would + base verb - used with past tense to represent expectation of future from the POV of past)?

Is the usage wrong because it is used with 'as' (representing simultaneous events) and thus, 'would become' needs to be written in past tense form.

Thanks in advance!

Hello ShubhamAgarwal,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your reasoning here is correct; Option D incorrectly uses the "would + simple present tense verb" construction to refer to an event that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to events that concluded in the past, and the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions and habitual actions in the past.

Kudos.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShubhamAgarwal wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Please check out these two posts, and let us know if you still have questions!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja AndrewN egmat
Is option D also incorrect because it uses 'would become'?
I thought E was incorrect since it uses 'became', given that we're talking about the future
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anshgupta_2

Yes, "would become" is wrong. We'd use that for a future hypothetical: "If this impacted your salary, I would become more concerned."

As for "became," think about how we'd say it in the present: "They EXPECT piracy to increase as connections BECOME more widely available." Even though we are looking forward, we use a present verb to describe the trend of connections becoming more available. So when we write in the past tense, we just shift both verbs to the past: "They EXPECTED piracy to increase as connections BECAME more available."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts