Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:32 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
anshgupta_2

Yes, "would become" is wrong. We'd use that for a future hypothetical: "If this impacted your salary, I would become more concerned."

As for "became," think about how we'd say it in the present: "They EXPECT piracy to increase as connections BECOME more widely available." Even though we are looking forward, we use a present verb to describe the trend of connections becoming more available. So when we write in the past tense, we just shift both verbs to the past: "They EXPECTED piracy to increase as connections BECAME more available."

Hi DmitryFarber,

In the below correct OG sentence, ''Predicted'' + ''would'' has been used, isn't it redundant?

So if i write the below sentence in present tense: One analyst of XYZ predicts that the industry as a whole maintains a volume of sales fairly close to last year's
This sentence sounds terribly awkward, but idk the reason.
Is it that use of simple present make renders the situation as a general truth? But same can be said about your above explanation as well. Please help.

One analyst of the liquor industry estimated that this year a few liquor stores have experienced sales declines of up to fifty percent but ''predicted'' that the industry as a whole ''would'' maintain a volume of sales fairly close to last year’s
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Contropositive

No, it's not redundant. "Would" has more than one usage. It can be used for hypotheticals ("I would watch that movie if you paid me a million dollars"), but it also just the past tense of "will." If you keep "would" when you do your present-tense rewrite, you get this (non-redundant) sentence:

One analyst predicts that the industry will maintain a volume of sales fairly close to last year's.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This question is from our Ask Me Anything About SC thread. Reposting it here in case it helps anybody:

brains wrote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Hello Charles. The above question has loosened my bolts of concepts and i will really appreciate if you could help me with my following queries

1. How would you approach this question?
2. I believe many experts are saying that "said " and expected are parallel and if they are parallel , how come in choice E , being a list of two items the "expected" item is followed by " and" preceded by a comma. Basically if we have two entities parallel why would we need comma before "and" . I thought it to be an independent clause.

Good question! First, I'd pick off some low-hanging fruit. Both (B) and (C) use the present tense "expect." The timeframe of the action is established by the phrase "at the end of 2001," so we want a past tense verb. Two down.

Next, I might ask myself whether I need "that." In (D) and (E), we have a nice parallel construction: the representative said two things: 1) that there were a million copies of movies available and 2) that they expected piracy to increase. Makes sense.

In (A), because there's no second "that" it seems as though the actions are unconnected. The representatives said there were a million copies of movies available, and perhaps unrelated, they also expected piracy to increase. This isn't fundamentally wrong, but it seems less logical than the construction we have in (D) and (E) in which it's crystal clear that the actions are connected.

Also, the phrase "expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available," is a problem. It sounds as though piracy will increase as widely available high-speed Internet connections increase, as opposed to less-widely available Internet connections, which apparently don't increase with piracy. It makes far more sense to convey the idea that piracy will increase as the high-speed connections become more available, generally. So (A) is out.

Last, in (D), the phrase "the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections," makes it sound as though piracy is increasing in the form of high-speed Internet connections. A person can go to a party as a clown, but piracy cannot increase as a high-speed internet connection. Offer a brief eulogy for (D), and (E) is our winner.

As for your second question, a public service announcement: there are almost no hard rules governing comma usage. There are conventions, sure, but ultimately, commas can always be used if a writer feels as though a pause will help clarify the meaning of a sentence. So if you're debating about whether a comma is appropriate, remind yourself of this, and look for other decision points instead.

I hope that helps!

I just have a small question, the reasoning used to eliminate D can also be used to eliminate E, "piracy to increase as high speed internet connections" can also mean that piracy is increasing in the form of high- speed internet connections.

can you please clarify,
Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vijaisai44

It's pretty tricky to say that we MUST read a sentence a certain way just because of the placement of an adverbial modifier. I can see why one would read D as flawed in that way, but part of the problem is that the phrase "as high-speed connections WOULD become more widely available" doesn't make sense. That might leave us grasping for a way to salvage D, and seeing it as "the increase of piracy . . . would become" might seem to make more sense. But this immediately fails when we see how the line finishes. "The increase of piracy would become more widely available"?? This makes no sense. So the real reason to eliminate D is that there is no way to create a sensible clause in this portion of the sentence. The particular misreading that "as high speed connections" applies to piracy is just one way we might try to read this sentence, but D is enough of a mess that this reading fails like any other.

E, however, has a valid reading readily available: they expected X to happen as Y happens. As connections became more available, they expected piracy to increase. Since there's a good way to read this sentence, we don't need to reach for nonsensical ones. We're much more likely to do that when working with noun modifiers, since we typically expect them to modify the adjoining noun, but even there we have some room for flexibility when the intended usage is fairly clear and available.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vijaisai44 wrote:
I just have a small question, the reasoning used to eliminate D can also be used to eliminate E, "piracy to increase as high speed internet connections" can also mean that piracy is increasing in the form of high- speed internet connections.

can you please clarify,

Thanks

The difference is that "as high-speed Internet connections" comes right "piracy" in choice (D). So does the "as" part modify "piracy" or "increase"? At first glance, the reader has no reason not to pair the "as" with the noun right before it ("piracy"), and that leads to the illogical meaning discussed earlier in the thread.

In (E), on the other hand, we'd have to jump over an infinitive ("to increase") to force the same illogical meaning, and there's no reason for the reader to do that. In other words, the fact that the "as" part comes right after "to increase" makes the meaning less ambiguous.

Is (D) wrong because it violates some clear-cut grammar rule? Nope. But the meaning is clearer in (E), giving us a vote against (D).

Combining that with the points discussed in this post, we see that (E) is the much better choice.

I hope that helps, and enjoy the final days of GMAT SC!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts