It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 03:20
Hi Experts,

I am wondering why expected cannot be parallel with said, i.e. representatives said... AND expected...

If I wanna express such meaning, how can I rephrase the sentence?

Many thanks!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 612

GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Project Management (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OG 2017 New Question

Just to add to the explanations that were made here:

One of the key point in this question is to understand how to descibed somthing that someone said:
- Now - Dan:I expect that prices would increase as high-speed Internet becomes more avaliable"
- Future - A person describing what Dan said: " Dan expected that prices would increase as high-speed internet became more available".

Basically we need to take the verbs and bring them past of the tense they are mentioned it.

Another thing to notice is the use of could. Could is used to show some uncertanity (expectation/assumption etc..).

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 612

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 15:15
I am bit confused by this comment - Please help clarify which of below 2 sentences is correct

- Now - Dan:I expect that prices will increase as high-speed Internet becomes more avaliable"
- Now - Dan:I expect that prices would increase as high-speed Internet becomes more avaliable"

The overall tense is present - so for a future event, a simple future tense verb 'will' should be correct, right ?

Thanks

AlexGenkins1234 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OG 2017 New Question

One of the key point in this question is to understand how to descibed somthing that someone said:
- Future - A person describing what Dan said: " Dan expected that prices would increase as high-speed internet became more available".

Basically we need to take the verbs and bring them past of the tense they are mentioned it.

Another thing to notice is the use of could. Could is used to show some uncertanity (expectation/assumption etc..).

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 15:18
Have posted the question - usage of will vs would in a sentence given by another user.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3311 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 08:34
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ankur2710 wrote:
I am bit confused by this comment - Please help clarify which of below 2 sentences is correct

- Now - Dan:I expect that prices will increase as high-speed Internet becomes more avaliable"

The overall tense is present - so for a future event, a simple future tense verb 'will' should be correct, right ?

Thanks

AlexGenkins1234 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

The correct usages are as follows:

Statement/ expectation in present: I expect that prices will increase as high-speed Internet becomes more available.
Statement/ expectation in past: I expected that prices would increase as high-speed Internet became more available.

All verbs within the statement / expectation goes on step back along with the main verb (expect / said etc.) of the sentence.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3311 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
yybinary wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am wondering why expected cannot be parallel with said, i.e. representatives said... AND expected...

If I wanna express such meaning, how can I rephrase the sentence?

Many thanks!

The verbs "said" and " expected" can be parallel. Option A is wrong because of wrong modifier usage leading to erroneous meaning.

Kudos [?]: 3311 [1], given: 22

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 08:51
Keats wrote:
sayantanc2k

Can you please assist with the following doubts -

1. Is "would become" correct/incorrect in option D?
2. Is the usage of "with" in place of "as" in option A, B, and C correct/incorrect?

1. No - the correct usage would be "became". Please see the post: at-the-end-of-2001-motion-picture-industry-representatives-said-that-220348-20.html#p1788398

2. No - "Piracy increases with availability" would be correct. (piracy increases, as availability increases.) - "X increases with Y" implies that as X increases, Y also increases. Thus, "Piracy increases with high-speed internet" /"piracy increases with wider availability" both are wrong.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 08:51
i understand that in option D, usage of 'expected the increase of piracy' is wrong n this issue is corrected in option E
in option E, if i modify the sentence as below, will it be correct?

E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 06:33
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Is second "that " needed? cant we have only one that for two statements made by a person?

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 00:13
Imo E
This is case of open parallelism X and Y
So we need that to maintain parallelism
Indirect speech so the verb should be in past tense

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 06:47
Is first sentence wrong?

1. I want to say that India is a great country and I love this country .

2. I want to say that India is a great country and that I love this country .

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 10:02
Experts, please assist ..

For D and E specifically, is the construction still X and Y ?

Isnt there a comma before and, implying the second half of the sentence has to be an independent clause..i dont see how the bolded region in D and E can stand by itself ...it seems like a dependent clause

In fact, seems like i need to remove the "That" in D and E for these reds to stand alone

--------------------

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 23:05

increase in piracy NOT Increase of piracy

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 77

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 09:03
sayantanc2k wrote:
Keats wrote:
sayantanc2k

Can you please assist with the following doubts -

1. Is "would become" correct/incorrect in option D?
2. Is the usage of "with" in place of "as" in option A, B, and C correct/incorrect?

1. No - the correct usage would be "became". Please see the post: http://gmatclub.com/forum/at-the-end-of ... l#p1788398

2. No - "Piracy increases with availability" would be correct. (piracy increases, as availability increases.) - "X increases with Y" implies that as X increases, Y also increases. Thus, "Piracy increases with high-speed internet" /"piracy increases with wider availability" both are wrong.

Is iit true that in a reported speech like they said/ reported- simple present becomes past tense and present perfect tense becomes past past perfect.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 77

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 06:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Your first interpretation is correct. The representatives said 2 things:

1. They said that there were about a million copies.
2. They also said that they expected piracy to increase.

The green highlighted portions are what the representatives said. (The verb "expected" is not parallel to the verb "said").

can you clear what i am missing : I understood the meaning as : Motion picture industry said that there were about a million copy of hollywood movies available online, and Motion picture industry expected piracy to increase with high - speed internet connections that became more widely available.

with that sense i was inclined to select A, only error i thought was become must be became. else A was correct.

my doubt is since expected can be tapped on to either with motion picture industry (or) said that they expected, is it becoming ambiguous in usage!

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 40

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
Avinash_R1 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Your first interpretation is correct. The representatives said 2 things:

1. They said that there were about a million copies.
2. They also said that they expected piracy to increase.

The green highlighted portions are what the representatives said. (The verb "expected" is not parallel to the verb "said").

can you clear what i am missing : I understood the meaning as : Motion picture industry said that there were about a million copy of hollywood movies available online, and Motion picture industry expected piracy to increase with high - speed internet connections that became more widely available.

with that sense i was inclined to select A, only error i thought was become must be became. else A was correct.

my doubt is since expected can be tapped on to either with motion picture industry (or) said that they expected, is it becoming ambiguous in usage!

Thanks

can you please clarify this :

As high speed internet connections became more widely available, motion picture industry expected piracy would increase.
As high speed internet connections became more widely available, motion picture industry expected piracy to increase.

is both statement correct?
is first statement from conditional talking about future
and second statement assuming piracy has already started to increase

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 17:48
hey experts -- i didn't like "more widely". couldn't this technically be a case for redundancy?

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 31

Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 04:56
Divyadisha wrote:
abrakadabra21 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

shouldn't it be that x and that y
instead of that x, and that y.

Hi! IMO, if 'and' is followed by a complete sentence with its own subject and verb, then it should be preceded by ','.

they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

You still have "that" before "they expected piracy to....."
Comma + and is used in lists OR to join 2 independent clauses.
In option E, "that" before "they expected...." does not make the portion independent clause.

"and" without a comma would have been preferable. Where am I incorrect ?

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 31

Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2017, 04:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap