GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 06:47
Is first sentence wrong?

1. I want to say that India is a great country and I love this country .

2. I want to say that India is a great country and that I love this country .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 23:05
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

increase in piracy NOT Increase of piracy
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 06:59
sayantanc2k wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Your first interpretation is correct. The representatives said 2 things:

1. They said that there were about a million copies.
2. They also said that they expected piracy to increase.

The green highlighted portions are what the representatives said. (The verb "expected" is not parallel to the verb "said").

can you clear what i am missing : I understood the meaning as : Motion picture industry said that there were about a million copy of hollywood movies available online, and Motion picture industry expected piracy to increase with high - speed internet connections that became more widely available.

with that sense i was inclined to select A, only error i thought was become must be became. else A was correct.

my doubt is since expected can be tapped on to either with motion picture industry (or) said that they expected, is it becoming ambiguous in usage!

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 07:30
Avinash_R1 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Your first interpretation is correct. The representatives said 2 things:

1. They said that there were about a million copies.
2. They also said that they expected piracy to increase.

The green highlighted portions are what the representatives said. (The verb "expected" is not parallel to the verb "said").

can you clear what i am missing : I understood the meaning as : Motion picture industry said that there were about a million copy of hollywood movies available online, and Motion picture industry expected piracy to increase with high - speed internet connections that became more widely available.

with that sense i was inclined to select A, only error i thought was become must be became. else A was correct.

my doubt is since expected can be tapped on to either with motion picture industry (or) said that they expected, is it becoming ambiguous in usage!

Thanks

can you please clarify this :

As high speed internet connections became more widely available, motion picture industry expected piracy would increase.
As high speed internet connections became more widely available, motion picture industry expected piracy to increase.

is both statement correct?
is first statement from conditional talking about future
and second statement assuming piracy has already started to increase
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 04:56
Divyadisha wrote:
abrakadabra21 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OG 2017 New Question

shouldn't it be that x and that y
instead of that x, and that y.

Hi! IMO, if 'and' is followed by a complete sentence with its own subject and verb, then it should be preceded by ','.

they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

You still have "that" before "they expected piracy to....."
Comma + and is used in lists OR to join 2 independent clauses.
In option E, "that" before "they expected...." does not make the portion independent clause.

"and" without a comma would have been preferable. Where am I incorrect ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 07:13
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u / mikemcgarry,

The sentence states that "At the end of 2001" Motion picture industry representative said 2 things-
1) that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online
2) expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

We need "That" after "and" to the sentence parallel. Only D and E left.

Furthermore, the sentence also mentions that they (representatives) "EXPECT" something-->
What do they expect..? that something will take place in future..
Therefore, if the sentence talks about past and we want to show future--> We need to use "WOULD"

So, D should be the answer.
Can you please assist whats wrong in this..?

If I talk about option E, the verbs "expected" and 'became" shows simultaneous actions and so the intended meaning is lost.

Please assist.
Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Note :What you are saying about would become is right here..But in the context of option D
We have other reasons to eliminate option D.

Generally, an as-clause must serve to modify an ACTION. It cannot serve to modify a noun or noun phrase. Example the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become ….is wrong..piracy to increase as high speed internet connections..(This is the correct construction)

Also

To refer to a percentage, we use increase OF:
an increase OF ten percent
To refer to something becoming larger or more prevalent, we use increase IN:
an increase IN the crime rate
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 06:49
Can you please explain what is the difference between the following phrases:
1. E1 and E2
2. E1, and E2
where E1 and E2 are the 2 elements of the same list.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 09:53
I have a doubt regarding option E . comma with and ( ,and ) should present an Independent clause . Hpwever in option E , the sentence goes " ,and that they ..... widely available"
Is this to be considered a Independent clause with a relative pronoun "that"

PLEASE PRESS KUDOS FOR CORRECT ANSWERS AND IF IT HELPS :-)

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 11:13
Top Contributor
gmat4

Because you have not a comma before 'and.' When you create another IC in a two-part sentence, then a comma is customary to indicate that a new IC is being made.

In the second, you might see that there is no IC after ' and.'

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 21:58
daagh wrote:
gmat4

Because you have not a comma before 'and.' When you create another IC in a two-part sentence, then a comma is customary to indicate that a new IC is being made.

In the second, you might see that there is no IC after ' and.'

daagh sir, there is a "comma " before and in the answer choice E.
- online, and that they expected .......widely available"

but it does not present an Independent clause

Please help

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 22:59
gmat4varun wrote:
Is first sentence wrong?

1. I want to say that India is a great country and I love this country .

2. I want to say that India is a great country and that I love this country .

Hi Varun, in regards to repetition of that, you might want to refer to my detailed response here.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 20:50
AbdurRakib wrote:

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OG 2017 New Question

sayantanc2k
I have a doubt regarding option E . comma with and (, and ) should present an Independent clause. However in option E, the sentence goes like ", and that they ..... widely available"
Is this to be considered an Independent clause with a relative pronoun "that"

Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 20:50

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap