GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 10:13
Top Contributor
gmat4

Because you have not a comma before 'and.' When you create another IC in a two-part sentence, then a comma is customary to indicate that a new IC is being made.

In the second, you might see that there is no IC after ' and.'

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
G
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 21:59
gmat4varun wrote:
Is first sentence wrong?

1. I want to say that India is a great country and I love this country .

2. I want to say that India is a great country and that I love this country .

Hi Varun, in regards to repetition of that, you might want to refer to my detailed response here.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 16:55
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

that is not after and so we can get rid of A,B,C
D is in passive tone and the GMAT likes active tone

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available - PASSIVE

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 20:30
sayantanc2k wrote:
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Your first interpretation is correct. The representatives said 2 things:

1. They said that there were about a million copies.
2. They also said that they expected piracy to increase.

The green highlighted portions are what the representatives said. (The verb "expected" is not parallel to the verb "said").

Hi sayantanc2k,

I have two clarfications that i request from you
FIRST:
hey i guess representatives did not say two things . Its the correct answer choice whose meaning tells us that rept said two things. But the original sentence i interpreted as follows.
Lets see how the sentence structure is made:
At the end of 2001, { modifier that modifies the mani verb giving us more information as to when the action was done}
motion picture industry representatives { Main Subject is representatives }
said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online {Main verb 1 is said, IV there were is SV pair of dependent clause}
and
expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections { Main verb 2 is expected}
that become more widely available. { its a modifying clause which provides more information about internet connections}

SO removing all flux we have
Rept said X and expected Y.
The main error here I see is with usage of relative clause.
1. SV agreement error in the relative clause.
2. This clause gives us the impression as if there were to Internet connection , and only the high speed connections would cause piracy to increase.

I am not debating the correct answer. Correct answer has a different meaning than the original sentence.
Now coming back to how its interpreted above
(X)Representatives said that there were about a million copies. Fine
(a)Representatives also said that they expected piracy to increase.
or
(b)Representatives also expected piracy to increase.

The original sentence is X & b, where as correct answer is X & A

SECOND
Option D:
online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

increase of is unidiomatic , it should be increase in.
Also the way D is worded . They expected the increase of piracy gives us the meaning that in past also there was a similar increase.

If i replace as with because/ while
that they expected the increase of piracy because high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

that they expected the increase of piracy while high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

So usage of as which shows action happening simultaneously and future conditional. would become is incorrect.
I was not very much convinced rejecting Option D on "as and would become"fronts because people usually use this kind in their emails, so any thoughts on that.

Probus
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 22:56
chandan1988 wrote:
I have a doubt regarding option E . comma with and ( ,and ) should present an Independent clause . Hpwever in option E , the sentence goes " ,and that they ..... widely available"
Is this to be considered a Independent clause with a relative pronoun "that"

I have the same doubt? Is “that they expected piracy...available” an independent clause? If not, why is and preceded with a comma?

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 15:04
Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on consistent verb tense! Let's start by looking at the question carefully, and identify any major differences between the options by highlighting them in orange:

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Since we know that this question focuses mainly on verb consistency, here are a couple places we can focus on:

1. expected / expect
2. became available / become available / the wider availability of

To begin, we need to determine when these events take place: in the past, present, or future? Let's look at the entire sentence for clues:

This takes place in 2001, which is clearly in the past! So, let's make sure all the verbs in each option reflect that:

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" instead of the past tense "became." Since this all takes place in the past, it's best to keep all the verbs in some form of past tense!

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" for an event that took place in 2001, which is clearly in the past and requires past tense verbs to match!

Again, this is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" to describe a past event!

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" to describe a past event.

This is CORRECT! It uses past tense verbs consistently throughout the sentence to indicate that everything in the sentence occurred in the past!

There you have it - option E is the best choice because it uses consistent verb tenses!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 15:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap