It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2398 [5], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 04:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:05) correct 41% (01:17) wrong based on 2234 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OG 2017 New Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2398 [5], given: 220

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 06:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OG 2017 New Question

Since the event happened in the past and is narrated in past tense B and C are out.
A is just awkward.
in D the usage of expected is incorrect , it should rather be expected...to

E is correct

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

6 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 393 [6], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Few things to notice:-

1) Representatives said two things- that there were about a million copies and that increase of piracy is expected. A and B are out because 'that' is not present.
2) Sentence must be in past tense (expected and not expect). more and increase are redundant- C is out
3) Reps stated the general principle that with increase in high-speed internet, piracy is expected to increase. For stating a general principle 'would is nit required. D is out.

E is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 393 [6], given: 69

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 1049 [1], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Answers must be (E) , reasons for the same highlighted below...

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said
that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online,
and
that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1049 [1], given: 325

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 317

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 01:04
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

I dont understand why D is wrong? as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available => usage of would seems more appropriate in the context. It's a future thing they are talking about right.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 00:18
Hi Experts / chetan2u / mikemcgarry,

The sentence states that "At the end of 2001" Motion picture industry representative said 2 things-
1) that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online
2) expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

We need "That" after "and" to the sentence parallel. Only D and E left.

Furthermore, the sentence also mentions that they (representatives) "EXPECT" something-->
What do they expect..? that something will take place in future..
Therefore, if the sentence talks about past and we want to show future--> We need to use "WOULD"

So, D should be the answer.
Can you please assist whats wrong in this..?

If I talk about option E, the verbs "expected" and 'became" shows simultaneous actions and so the intended meaning is lost.

Please assist.
Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5219 [4], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u / mikemcgarry,

The sentence states that "At the end of 2001" Motion picture industry representative said 2 things-
1) that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online
2) expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

We need "That" after "and" to the sentence parallel. Only D and E left.

Furthermore, the sentence also mentions that they (representatives) "EXPECT" something-->
What do they expect..? that something will take place in future..
Therefore, if the sentence talks about past and we want to show future--> We need to use "WOULD"

So, D should be the answer.
Can you please assist whats wrong in this..?

If I talk about option E, the verbs "expected" and 'became" shows simultaneous actions and so the intended meaning is lost.

Please assist.
Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Hi,

The biggest error is the use of the possessive -the increase of piracy.
we can expect piracy to increase BUT expected the increase of piracy is not correct..
So E wins over D immediately

Now the point about became and expected.... they are not parallel...
AS is used as a conjuction here and means at the same time/ while one act is happening..

so it conveys that the rep expected the piracy to increase while high-speed internet connections became more widely available..
herewe are not talking in past about a future event but an ongoing eventwherein the high-speed internet connections are already in use and are being spread
so E is ok in tense too..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5219 [4], given: 112

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 07:01
Hi chetan2u,

Thanks for your response. As you said-"we are not talking in past about a future event but an ongoing event".

If I talk about the word "expect" means "regard (something) as likely to happen."

expect means which is "likely to happen" not "happening currently".
According to me the usage of word "expect" by itself means that the rep are anticipating that something WILL take place.

I don't understand how did you reach to the point that its an ongoing event.

Can you please assist.

Also what do you mean by "The biggest error is the use of the possessive -the increase of piracy."..?
Can you tell me in simple language.. :roll:

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 108 [3], given: 26

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

Thanks for your response. As you said-"we are not talking in past about a future event but an ongoing event".

If I talk about the word "expect" means "regard (something) as likely to happen."

expect means which is "likely to happen" not "happening currently".
According to me the usage of word "expect" by itself means that the rep are anticipating that something WILL take place.

I don't understand how did you reach to the point that its an ongoing event.

Can you please assist.

Also what do you mean by "The biggest error is the use of the possessive -the increase of piracy."..?
Can you tell me in simple language.. :roll:

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Not idiomatic.

You can say: "I expect global warming to worsen as more greenhouse gasses get released into the atmosphere".
This would be idiomatically incorrect: "I expect global warming to worsen as more greenhouse gasses will get released into the atmosphere."

"An increase in piracy" would be grammatically correct. "The increase of piracy" is not.

Kudos [?]: 108 [3], given: 26

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 105 [1], given: 156

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 23:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 105 [1], given: 156

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3081 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt. I eliminated the choices based on the following reasoning that the sentence should be of form:-

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and that Second thing.

or it should be of the form

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that One thing, and expected that another thing.

However, the correct ans seems to be something like:- said that 1 and that they expected 2 which seems to me a bit awkward.
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Your first interpretation is correct. The representatives said 2 things:

1. They said that there were about a million copies.
2. They also said that they expected piracy to increase.

The green highlighted portions are what the representatives said. (The verb "expected" is not parallel to the verb "said").

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 01:49
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

shouldn't it be that x and that y
instead of that x, and that y.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 05:07
abrakadabra21 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

shouldn't it be that x and that y
instead of that x, and that y.

Hi! IMO, if 'and' is followed by a complete sentence with its own subject and verb, then it should be preceded by ','.

they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 69

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 94

Schools: Insead '18, ISB '19

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available - Incorrect- Illogical Meaning that piracy will increase with internet.
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections - Incorrect - Tense Error

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "

"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Kudos [?]: 87 [1], given: 94

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 09:34
why option D is wrong??
D is correct because :
1. from past the future is represented with would (MGMAT )

2. that they expected increase...they didnt expect piracy...they expected increase and increase of piracy only..

please correct me..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 22:32
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Its noun phrase parallel between "and"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
vishnu440 wrote:
why option D is wrong??
D is correct because :
1. from past the future is represented with would (MGMAT )

2. that they expected increase...they didnt expect piracy...they expected increase and increase of piracy only..

please correct me..

Consider the following sentence:

They expect piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections become more widely available.

If the above statement is used within a statement in past, then each verb moves one step back (present becomes simple past, simple past becomes past perfect, and future becomes conditional).

In the above sentence, the verb "become" is in simple present, and hence when used within a statement in simple past, simple present "become" becomes simple past "became".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 61

Schools: Erasmus '17

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 11:41
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

They said two things, so that is missing.
between D and E.

D. if high speed internet connections become more widely available then piracy will increase.
Usage of would vl be correct with piracy not internet connection.
eg. that they expected the piracy would increase as high speed internet connection became more widely available.

Also, whole argument is in past, would represent future.(hence invalid)

E. Right ans

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 61

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 17:26
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG 2017 New Question

Do you have OE for this question?

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 81

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 05:18
sayantanc2k

Can you please assist with the following doubts -

1. Is "would become" correct/incorrect in option D?
2. Is the usage of "with" in place of "as" in option A, B, and C correct/incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 79

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2016, 05:18

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ]