GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2019, 22:10
Yeah, but would definitely suggest you to not choose/reject an option based upon the usage of comma (except for run-on sentences).
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 06:49
chetan2u can you please clarify (or, even better, state a general rule) for the use of possessive here? I can't find why this is wrong
Thank you very much
Manager
Manager
G
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 06:04
I do not know why this sentence use comma .... when I see comma I am so confused !
we have 2 idea in this sentence, what if we remove the comma ?

1="said that there were... available online and that" without comma
2="...said that there were... available online (,) and that with comma

I see this pattern in the list of 3 item such as : I beveled that ... ,that....,and that ....
but we do not have list :(

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 00:30
Thanks. I have another question here. Why the 'as' here must mean 'while' or 'during'? Could it mean 'because' as well, please? I think if it means 'because', D would be correct, isn't it?

DmitryFarber wrote:
D isn't saying "expected of." Rather, it's saying they expected the increase. What increase? The increase of piracy. So the "of" part isn't wrong at all. However, "the increase" implies that there has already been an increase, and they expected it in advance. Compare this to something like "Kim predicted the broad industry downturn that reversed Company X's fortunes in 2012." There was an actual downturn, and when it happened, Kim had already predicted it. For something that has not happened (and may not happen), using the definite article ("the") is not appropriate.

As for "would," this is used either for a hypothetical--"IF x happened, y WOULD happen"--or as the past tense of "will" ("I will go to your party." "Dmitry said he would go to my party.") Let's consider each:

We're dealing with a simple prediction--high-speed connections WILL become more available and so piracy WILL increase--so the hypothetical "would" is not appropriate.

Now to determine if we want the past tense of "will," let's see how we'd say this in present tense:

Motion picture reps say that there are copies online, and that they expect piracy to increase as high-speed connections become more available.

Notice that our modifier ("as . . . available") stays in present tense. Since "as" in this context basically means "while" or "during a time in which," it's not appropriate to say "as connections WILL become more available." For that reason, when we switch the whole sentence to past tense, this modifier switches to past tense, too, and we don't use WOULD.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 01:38
I searched a lot about this question on the Internet and for the moment the only explanation that seems convincing enough for me:

An error in D that does not rely on idiomatic knowledge:
Generally, an as-clause must serve to modify an ACTION.
It cannot serve to modify a noun or noun phrase.
D: the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would
become
Here, the as-clause in red incorrectly serves to modify not an action but a NOUN phrase (the increase of piracy).

So ELIMINATE D.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 01:39
Mathisxy No, I'm afraid D can't be redeemed so easily. Wrong answers are usually wrong in several ways. My earlier objection about "expected the increase" would still stand--that usage just doesn't make sense. The use of "would" would also still be wrong. In any case, we can't read "as" as "because" here. We'd need to see in what situation high-speed connections would be expected to increase and bring about this rise in piracy.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 02:25
@DmitriFarber, I understand why A is wrong, and E is right. But I wanted to know whether representative said that and expected piracy to is wrong because of parallelism. As I understand, both representative said that and expected piracy to, and representative said that and that they expected piracy to.. seem crct to me

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE: Law (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 01:57
correct answer is E

A and B are wrong because absence of that after and C wrong as more piracy makes no sense as it clearly says piracy to increase. D is wrong as they is not needed after "and that"
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 01:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics