GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Jun 2020, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2019, 21:10
Yeah, but would definitely suggest you to not choose/reject an option based upon the usage of comma (except for run-on sentences).
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Intern
Intern
B
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 05:49
chetan2u can you please clarify (or, even better, state a general rule) for the use of possessive here? I can't find why this is wrong
Thank you very much
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2019, 05:04
I do not know why this sentence use comma .... when I see comma I am so confused !
we have 2 idea in this sentence, what if we remove the comma ?

1="said that there were... available online and that" without comma
2="...said that there were... available online (,) and that with comma

I see this pattern in the list of 3 item such as : I beveled that ... ,that....,and that ....
but we do not have list :(
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 23:30
Thanks. I have another question here. Why the 'as' here must mean 'while' or 'during'? Could it mean 'because' as well, please? I think if it means 'because', D would be correct, isn't it?

DmitryFarber wrote:
D isn't saying "expected of." Rather, it's saying they expected the increase. What increase? The increase of piracy. So the "of" part isn't wrong at all. However, "the increase" implies that there has already been an increase, and they expected it in advance. Compare this to something like "Kim predicted the broad industry downturn that reversed Company X's fortunes in 2012." There was an actual downturn, and when it happened, Kim had already predicted it. For something that has not happened (and may not happen), using the definite article ("the") is not appropriate.

As for "would," this is used either for a hypothetical--"IF x happened, y WOULD happen"--or as the past tense of "will" ("I will go to your party." "Dmitry said he would go to my party.") Let's consider each:

We're dealing with a simple prediction--high-speed connections WILL become more available and so piracy WILL increase--so the hypothetical "would" is not appropriate.

Now to determine if we want the past tense of "will," let's see how we'd say this in present tense:

Motion picture reps say that there are copies online, and that they expect piracy to increase as high-speed connections become more available.

Notice that our modifier ("as . . . available") stays in present tense. Since "as" in this context basically means "while" or "during a time in which," it's not appropriate to say "as connections WILL become more available." For that reason, when we switch the whole sentence to past tense, this modifier switches to past tense, too, and we don't use WOULD.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 00:38
I searched a lot about this question on the Internet and for the moment the only explanation that seems convincing enough for me:

An error in D that does not rely on idiomatic knowledge:
Generally, an as-clause must serve to modify an ACTION.
It cannot serve to modify a noun or noun phrase.
D: the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would
become
Here, the as-clause in red incorrectly serves to modify not an action but a NOUN phrase (the increase of piracy).

So ELIMINATE D.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 00:39
Mathisxy No, I'm afraid D can't be redeemed so easily. Wrong answers are usually wrong in several ways. My earlier objection about "expected the increase" would still stand--that usage just doesn't make sense. The use of "would" would also still be wrong. In any case, we can't read "as" as "because" here. We'd need to see in what situation high-speed connections would be expected to increase and bring about this rise in piracy.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 01:25
@DmitriFarber, I understand why A is wrong, and E is right. But I wanted to know whether representative said that and expected piracy to is wrong because of parallelism. As I understand, both representative said that and expected piracy to, and representative said that and that they expected piracy to.. seem crct to me

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GPA: 3
WE: Law (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 00:57
correct answer is E

A and B are wrong because absence of that after and C wrong as more piracy makes no sense as it clearly says piracy to increase. D is wrong as they is not needed after "and that"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 15:58
This question is from our Ask Me Anything About SC thread. Reposting it here in case it helps anybody:

brains wrote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Hello Charles. The above question has loosened my bolts of concepts and i will really appreciate if you could help me with my following queries

1. How would you approach this question?
2. I believe many experts are saying that "said " and expected are parallel and if they are parallel , how come in choice E , being a list of two items the "expected" item is followed by " and" preceded by a comma. Basically if we have two entities parallel why would we need comma before "and" . I thought it to be an independent clause.

Good question! First, I'd pick off some low-hanging fruit. Both (B) and (C) use the present tense "expect." The timeframe of the action is established by the phrase "at the end of 2001," so we want a past tense verb. Two down.

Next, I might ask myself whether I need "that." In (D) and (E), we have a nice parallel construction: the representative said two things: 1) that there were a million copies of movies available and 2) that they expected piracy to increase. Makes sense.

In (A), because there's no second "that" it seems as though the actions are unconnected. The representatives said there were a million copies of movies available, and perhaps unrelated, they also expected piracy to increase. This isn't fundamentally wrong, but it seems less logical than the construction we have in (D) and (E) in which it's crystal clear that the actions are connected.

Also, the phrase "expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available," is a problem. It sounds as though piracy will increase as widely available high-speed Internet connections increase, as opposed to less-widely available Internet connections, which apparently don't increase with piracy. It makes far more sense to convey the idea that piracy will increase as the high-speed connections become more available, generally. So (A) is out.

Last, in (D), the phrase "the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections," makes it sound as though piracy is increasing in the form of high-speed Internet connections. A person can go to a party as a clown, but piracy cannot increase as a high-speed internet connection. Offer a brief eulogy for (D), and (E) is our winner.

As for your second question, a public service announcement: there are almost no hard rules governing comma usage. There are conventions, sure, but ultimately, commas can always be used if a writer feels as though a pause will help clarify the meaning of a sentence. So if you're debating about whether a comma is appropriate, remind yourself of this, and look for other decision points instead.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2020, 06:42
Divyadisha wrote:
Few things to notice:-

1) Representatives said two things- that there were about a million copies and that increase of piracy is expected. A and B are out because 'that' is not present.
2) Sentence must be in past tense (expected and not expect). more and increase are redundant- C is out
3) Reps stated the general principle that with increase in high-speed internet, piracy is expected to increase. For stating a general principle 'would is nit required. D is out.

E is the answer

I dont think that we can realize "and that" is right and "and" is wrong even if we are native of English. this is hard point. I can not realize this error to eliminate choice A.

choice A is wrong because " with connection".

so, in this problem we do not have to differentiate "and that" and "and". parallelism is an error which is easy to explain but hard to apply.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 05:30
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on consistent verb tense! Let's start by looking at the question carefully, and identify any major differences between the options by highlighting them in orange:

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Since we know that this question focuses mainly on verb consistency, here are a couple places we can focus on:

1. expected / expect
2. became available / become available / the wider availability of

To begin, we need to determine when these events take place: in the past, present, or future? Let's look at the entire sentence for clues:

This takes place in 2001, which is clearly in the past! So, let's make sure all the verbs in each option reflect that:

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" instead of the past tense "became." Since this all takes place in the past, it's best to keep all the verbs in some form of past tense!

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" for an event that took place in 2001, which is clearly in the past and requires past tense verbs to match!

Again, this is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" to describe a past event!

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" to describe a past event.

This is CORRECT! It uses past tense verbs consistently throughout the sentence to indicate that everything in the sentence occurred in the past!

There you have it - option E is the best choice because it uses consistent verb tenses!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

HI,
Do you understand that the past tense of "will" is "would“? D is wrong not because of the tense "become". I can't tell why D is not better than E though but the reason of eliminating B is not the tense.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2020, 05:37
DmitryFarber wrote:
D isn't saying "expected of." Rather, it's saying they expected the increase. What increase? The increase of piracy. So the "of" part isn't wrong at all. However, "the increase" implies that there has already been an increase, and they expected it in advance. Compare this to something like "Kim predicted the broad industry downturn that reversed Company X's fortunes in 2012." There was an actual downturn, and when it happened, Kim had already predicted it. For something that has not happened (and may not happen), using the definite article ("the") is not appropriate.

As for "would," this is used either for a hypothetical--"IF x happened, y WOULD happen"--or as the past tense of "will" ("I will go to your party." "Dmitry said he would go to my party.") Let's consider each:

We're dealing with a simple prediction--high-speed connections WILL become more available and so piracy WILL increase--so the hypothetical "would" is not appropriate.

Now to determine if we want the past tense of "will," let's see how we'd say this in present tense:

Motion picture reps say that there are copies online, and that they expect piracy to increase as high-speed connections become more available.

Notice that our modifier ("as . . . available") stays in present tense. Since "as" in this context basically means "while" or "during a time in which," it's not appropriate to say "as connections WILL become more available." For that reason, when we switch the whole sentence to past tense, this modifier switches to past tense, too, and we don't use WOULD.

Excellent explanation and thank you very much. Your explanation makes the most sense to me. Other explanations, including GMAT ninja's are not convincing to me. I have spent at least 30 minutes on this question and thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2020, 23:34
816. At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.
Meaning:
At the end of 2001, = something happened will find out
motion picture industry representatives said = representatives(subject) said(verb)
that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online = “that” is a connector here. So representatives said million copies exist online
and
expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections = is expected parallel to “said?”. Doesn’t seem right.
that become more widely available. = “that” is referring to “connections”, "become" doesn’t seem right here. As the sentence in past, the present form “become” is not correct.
Finally,
Two things were said by representatives
1. that Million copies available online
2. that they expected piracy to increase
Error:
Error as pointed out
Carries same flaws as A
Carries same flaws as A and change in meaning “piracy to increase”
Wordy and meaning change ” the increase of piracy”
Correct
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2020, 09:06
daagh GMATNinja DmitryFarber EducationAisle EMPOWERgmatVerbal

How do we decipher the use of 'as' in this sentence i.e.
1) whether this is talking about simultaneaty of two events - they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available
2) or, whether, this is talking about causality - they expected piracy to increase because high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Also, will it still be incorrect to say "would become" in the second (causality) case?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2020, 06:25
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:

At the end of 2001 (i.e.,in the past), the representatives said:
THAT there were about a million copies available online
THAT they expected piracy 2 increase
So, in the interests of parallelism, we can eliminate A, B and C

Answer choice A has additional issues.
"THAT become more widely available" is a relative clause modifying INTERNET CONNECTIONS
So if we ignore that relative clause we get "[they] expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections," which makes no sense.

Answer choice B has the additional issue related to the tense mismatch related to EXPECT (since all of this happened in the past, we need the past tense EXPECTED)

Likewise, answer choice C also has an issue with EXPECT. Furthermore, we have a redundancy issue with "expect MORE piracy to INCREASE"
We can say that "we expect more piracy," or we can say that "we expect piracy to increase," but we need not combine both ideas.

It's down to D and E.

The most glaring issue with answer choice D is related to the tense mismatch with EXPECTED and WOULD BECOME
Also, "increase OF piracy" should be "increase IN piracy "

For all of these reasons the correct answer is E

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2020, 08:24
A, B and C we can eliminate due to Parallelism.
D had Passive Construction.
E is the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 03:25
DmitryFarber wrote:

Hi expert, I have a question regarding the usage of "As"

I notice that in OG 2019 SC781 answer choice A says"as a broad area of high pressure will build and..." and I want to know if “as" can be used to describe a period in the future? It is just wrong to use or it depends on other choices in SC questions? It is logical to say "He will be happy as I will give him a new basketball" ?

Thanks in advance !
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that   [#permalink] 27 May 2020, 03:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ] 

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics