Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 3: 670 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Thanks GMATNinja, your explanations are very helpful. However, the "Odds and Even Strategy" chapter of Manhattan states this:
Do not use comma before "AND" to separate two verbs that have the same subject. Either eliminate the comma or add a subject to the second verb, creating a second main clause. Examples:
1. Earl walked to school, and later ate his lunch. (WRONG- "comma" should not be placed before AND)
2. Earl walked to school and later ate his lunch. (RIGHT)
3. Earl walked to school, and he later ate his lunch. (RIGHT)

This theory surely does contradict your statement that a comma can be applied for a pause. The application of comma in example number 1 above makes the statement wrong, as per Manhattan.
Could you please help understand what I am missing here. Thanks in advance.

When it comes to comma usage, there are common conventions, but very few rules, so you want to be careful about being too rigid in your analysis. (And ideally, you wouldn't rely on faulty comma usage at all when looking for reasons to eliminate an answer. If you'd like a full hour on GMAT punctuation, you could suffer through this video.)

So the Manhattan guide is certainly correct about the convention. You wouldn't want to use a comma to separate two actions performed by the subject, unless you had a good reason. If a comma makes the meaning clearer, you'd want to use one. Clarity is always good!

Consider two examples:

On Tuesdays Tim cooks for his children and then stays home with his bedridden kids the next day.

Here, Tim performs two actions, and because the sentence is fairly simple and doesn't introduce a new subject, there's no reason to use a comma here. Would it be a concrete error to use one? It would be suspect usage, and I'd be very surprised if you saw such a construction in a correct answer on the GMAT, but I'd hesitate to say it's a strict grammatical error.

But now consider a second, slightly more complicated example:

Tom cooks for his children on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and stays home with his bedridden kids on Thursdays.

This time, I'd argue that it's fair game to use a comma after "Wednesdays." While you don't need it, the comma helps the reader see that an idea is complete -- for example, we're not about to see something like "Tuesdays and Wednesdays and alternate Saturdays," but rather, a new action is about to be introduced. Of course, another writer might argue that the comma is superfluous. It's really a matter of taste.

The point is that none of this is ironclad. That's what makes language so complicated and SC so maddening.

So rather than internalizing a list of scenarios for when a comma is allowed, just be in the habit of asking yourself about clarity and meaning in general. If the comma confuses you, and another option eliminates a comma in a way that creates a logical sentence, this could certainly qualify as a valid decision point. But if the comma doesn't confuse you, and you find yourself agonizing about whether the comma is acceptable in a given construction, look for other issues.

In other words: when it comes to comma usage, there's simply too much gray to be able to rely strictly on a list of conventions.

i hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Re: At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
dear AndrewN
I picked up D because I thought the verb "expect" implies something will happen in the future, or just something will come in the future, in D "internet will become more widely available" can logically match the "increase" in the future. considering what the representatives said is in the past, so we need "expected" and "would", I thought D cannot eliminate because of "would".

I think there must be some reasoning bug, but I have no idea.

also, I don't have an efficient way to pick up between "expect the increase of piracy" and "expect piracy to increase". DmitryFarber points out "the", honestly speaking, "the" is tough for me, and some experts say GMAT won't test "the", so Andrew, I am curious how you pick up between these two, not considering the use of "the".

appreciate for your help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear AndrewN
I picked up D because I thought the verb "expect" implies something will happen in the future, or just something will come in the future, in D "internet will become more widely available" can logically match the "increase" in the future. considering what the representatives said is in the past, so we need "expected" and "would", I thought D cannot eliminate because of "would".

I think there must be some reasoning bug, but I have no idea.

also, I don't have an efficient way to pick up between "expect the increase of piracy" and "expect piracy to increase". DmitryFarber points out "the", honestly speaking, "the" is tough for me, and some experts say GMAT won't test "the", so Andrew, I am curious how you pick up between these two, not considering the use of "the".

appreciate for your help.

Hello, zoezhuyan. You have to remember not to get too attached to the idea that something that could be true must be true. How about we look at (D) and (E) in the context of the sentence to tease out some talking points?

Quote:
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

When I look at the first split, (E) wins, hands down. (D) does not deliver on the setup of what was expected until the object of the preposition, leaving us, the poor readers, in suspense. To be sure, expected an increase in something could work in a different sentence, but expected the increase is more restrictive, as though we have already read about such an increase. Just because a million copies of [pirated] movies gets mentioned, we cannot label the activity an increase: we simply have no benchmark for comparison. So yes, the is a problem, even if I do not believe its presence should overshadow the larger issue of delaying key information. Notice how (E) tells us exactly what was expected, right where we would expect to see such information: they expected piracy. Okay, that is much easier to follow than (D). And what is expected to happen, concerning piracy? It is going to increase. Between the infinitive, expected to, and the noun phrase, expected + [noun] + of, we should definitely favor the former, which is to say the infinitive form.

- Andrew

dear AndrewN, can I say it's better to prefer expect + object + verb when I encounter expect + object + verb and expect + noun + of ?
or some other verbs except expect ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear AndrewN, can I say it's better to prefer expect + object + verb when I encounter expect + object + verb and expect + noun + of ?
or some other verbs except expect ?

In general, a verb form in such a context is preferred over a prepositional form to express a similar idea. I would suggest you take note of any exceptions you may encounter along the course of your studies, but by and large, a verb clearly conveys the action that a subject took, while a prepositional phrase hides that same action within more words than are necessary to use.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
I got the intuition that they expect ..... as the high-speed Internet connections will become more widely available
But my intuition is wrong since E don't have would so can you please tell where am I missing
This sentence tells us what the representatives expected (past) as something happened (also past). For example:

They expect piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections become more widely available.
We should look at this as a process.

If we take the sentence above and shift it into the past, we get:
They expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available.[/quote]

Is this sentence correct?

They expect piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections will become more widely available.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
ghost07gems wrote:
Is this sentence correct?

They expect piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections will become more widely available.

Hello, ghost07gems. I saw your query in the chatroom as well, but I thought I would answer here, since my writing style lends itself to this format a little better. I saw that nightblade354 had advised against the use of will in the above sentence. That advice was correct. The reason is that an expectation is understood to project into the future, without employing the future tense:

1) I expect it to rain today.

2) He expects her to marry him.

Moreover, notice that in the original sentence, the one about piracy, as is serving to denote a concurrent action, and the first action is increase, not will increase—piracy is expected to increase as high-speed connections become more commonplace. Even if the future tense were acceptable, it would not be preferred within such a projection (i.e. the expectation), since will adds nothing in the way of vital meaning that the infinitive does not already convey.

I hope that helps clarify the matter. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I rejected choice E simply because 'and that they expected' is preceded by the comma, and I thought that when you have to parallel lists with and comma is not required. Can someone help clarify why 'said that...., and that....' is acceptable.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
filmpaniti wrote:
Hi,

I rejected choice E simply because 'and that they expected' is preceded by the comma, and I thought that when you have to parallel lists with and comma is not required. Can someone help clarify why 'said that...., and that....' is acceptable.

Hi filmpaniti,

Generally speaking, although there are some things that the GMAT does test, like comma splices, it is actually quite risky to use most comma "rules" to eliminate options in GMAT SC questions. I'm not sure which rule you were trying to apply here, but you should not use it going forward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on consistent verb tense! Let's start by looking at the question carefully, and identify any major differences between the options by highlighting them in orange:

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Since we know that this question focuses mainly on verb consistency, here are a couple places we can focus on:

1. expected / expect
2. became available / become available / the wider availability of

To begin, we need to determine when these events take place: in the past, present, or future? Let's look at the entire sentence for clues:

This takes place in 2001, which is clearly in the past! So, let's make sure all the verbs in each option reflect that:

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" instead of the past tense "became." Since this all takes place in the past, it's best to keep all the verbs in some form of past tense!

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" for an event that took place in 2001, which is clearly in the past and requires past tense verbs to match!

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

Again, this is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" to describe a past event!

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" to describe a past event.

This is CORRECT! It uses past tense verbs consistently throughout the sentence to indicate that everything in the sentence occurred in the past!

There you have it - option E is the best choice because it uses consistent verb tenses!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

I understand that below question is related in past, so ''expected'' and ''became'' is correct. Alternatively would below sentence be also correct?

"At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and that they expect piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections become more widely available."

Can above sentence work , it projects into future by stating that high speed internet connection usage would increase in future, piracy would further increase. Will this work?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hollywood Movies

(A) Parallelism (X and Y); Meaning

(B) Parallelism (X and Y); Meaning

(C) Meaning

(D) Verb / Meaning

(E) CORRECT

First glance

The clue here is very subtle. Each answer begins with the same two words (online and) but some choices place a comma between the two and some don’t. Something is going on with the structure of the sentence, which could be overall Sentence Structure or something more specific such as Parallelism or Modifiers. The word and indicates that the issue might be with Sentence Structure or Parallelism.

Issues

(1) Parallelism: X and Y

The original sentence contains this X and Y construction: there were a million copies … and expected piracy to increase.

The Y portion begins with a verb (expected), so the subject needs to come from the X portion. The X portion is an inverted sentence (the subject is placed after the verb), so the subject is a million copies—but it’s illogical to say that the copies expected piracy to increase. Logically, the representatives expected this. But representatives can’t be the subject for the Y portion; the structure of the sentence prohibits this:

Representatives said that there were a million copies … and expected piracy to increase.

This structure is Subject Verb THAT Subject Verb and Verb. In this construction, the first subject-verb pairing, before the word that, is essentially blocked off as its own structure. The and Verb parallelism cannot jump over the word that to go back to the first subject and verb. Answer (B) also has this same construction, so eliminate (A) and (B) for faulty parallelism.

The remaining choices all introduce an appropriate subject for the Y portion: the pronoun they, referring back to the representatives. The parallelism is now correct: representatives said X and Y, where X and Y are complete sentences. Look for another difference among the answers.

(2) Meaning / Verb

You may have noticed another issue in the original sentence. The final portion of the sentence is a bit unclear.

expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

The logical meaning is that, as high-speed Internet becomes more available, people will find it easier to download stolen content and, therefore, piracy will increase. In other words, one event causes the other.

The original sentence, however, does not actually state any kind of cause-effect relationship. It just says that both things are expected to happen at the same time. You’ve already eliminated choice (A), but check the remaining choices for this same issue.

(C) they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability …

(D) they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed connections would become more widely available

(E) they expected piracy to increase as high-speed connections became more widely available

Answer (C) does have a meaning problem: more and increase mean the same thing, so it is redundant to use both words. It also uses the same with language as (A) and (B)—in other words, it doesn’t establish a cause-effect relationship. Eliminate (C) for faulty meaning.

Answers (D) and (E) both use as to indicate a cause-effect relationship. There are some other differences, though. First, examine expected the increase of piracy vs. expected piracy to increase. What’s the difference in meaning between She expected the increase of her salary and She expected her salary to increase?

In the first case, her salary already increased in the past (as she expected it to). In the second case, at some point in the past, she thought that her salary was going to increase in the future.

If the expected increase already occurred, as choice (D) says, then it’s not appropriate to say that high-speed connections would become more widely available. They must have already become more widely available in order for the increase in piracy to have occurred. Eliminate choice (D) for illogical meaning.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (E) employs a parallel structure (representatives said X and Y). It also conveys a clear and logical meaning. The reps expected piracy to increase at some time in the future, after the reps made that statement, and this would occur because (as) high-speed Internet became more widely available.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on consistent verb tense! Let's start by looking at the question carefully, and identify any major differences between the options by highlighting them in orange:

Since we know that this question focuses mainly on verb consistency, here are a couple places we can focus on:

1. expected / expect
2. became available / become available / the wider availability of

To begin, we need to determine when these events take place: in the past, present, or future? Let's look at the entire sentence for clues:

This takes place in 2001, which is clearly in the past! So, let's make sure all the verbs in each option reflect that:

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" instead of the past tense "became." Since this all takes place in the past, it's best to keep all the verbs in some form of past tense!

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" for an event that took place in 2001, which is clearly in the past and requires past tense verbs to match!

Again, this is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" to describe a past event!

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" to describe a past event.

This is CORRECT! It uses past tense verbs consistently throughout the sentence to indicate that everything in the sentence occurred in the past!

There you have it - option E is the best choice because it uses consistent verb tenses!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

I understand that below question is related in past, so ''expected'' and ''became'' is correct. Alternatively would below sentence be also correct?

"At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and that they expect piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections become more widely available."

Can above sentence work , it projects into future by stating that high speed internet connection usage would increase in future, piracy would further increase. Will this work?

Hello VIGHNESHKAMATH,

We hope this finds you well.

The sentence provided by you is still not correct, as it uses the simple past tense verb phrase "that there were", establishing that the representatives' statement refers to events that concluded in the past. Moreover, the use of the modifier "At the end of 2001" also establishes that the sentence refers ot past events; it would not make much sense to say that "At the end of 2001, representatives said that there are about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM