Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]
Hi Experts,
I wrote my gmat exam two days before and ended up getting a 600 (48 Q, 25 v).I am still shattered because of getting such a low score.I have given around 30 mocks ,but never got less than 610 ( except for the Kaplan 2nd test ,in which I scored a 590).In fact ,before starting the preparation,only once I got a 610 in the diagnostic test.After that I put in a lot of effort continuously for two months, studying around six hours a day before taking the test. My Mgmat test scores( 650, 670, 630, 660) and kaplan CD test scores (620,590) were also decent in comparision with the actual score.Two days before taking the test I wrote the GMAT prep test-2 and scored a 740.In addition, I left one verbal questions unmarked during the actual test because of time constrain( I guess leaving a questions unmarked impacts the overall score).I felt that SC questions in the actual test were very strange (if not difficult) than those I had gone through and I did not spend too much time on them as I would have left with very less time for CRs and RCs.So I guess that it was majorly the Sentence correction protion,which I had mainly foused on during preparation, of the test that destroyed the party;though I am not very confident in saying that.
My academics are not very bad with X-80%,XII-80%,BE-72%.I have an overall experience of around 4 years with an MNC in the field of IT and have lot many things to decorate my essay ( white papers, have a BA degree in Music ,have a music band of my own,did some NGO work etc.)
I just want to ask whether I should retake the exam or just give it up.I have already gone through almost all of the important materials such as Manhattan(SC,CR, RC), power score CR bible, 1000 SC,1000 CR(left with a few of them).Now I am only left with the KAPLAN book to study.Please suggest whether I should take the test again or not.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
abhishek1234 wrote:
Hi Experts,
I wrote my gmat exam two days before and ended up getting a 600 (48 Q, 25 v).I am still shattered because of getting such a low score.I have given around 30 mocks ,but never got less than 610 ( except for the Kaplan 2nd test ,in which I scored a 590).In fact ,before starting the preparation,only once I got a 610 in the diagnostic test.After that I put in a lot of effort continuously for two months, studying around six hours a day before taking the test. My Mgmat test scores( 650, 670, 630, 660) and kaplan CD test scores (620,590) were also decent in comparision with the actual score.Two days before taking the test I wrote the GMAT prep test-2 and scored a 740.In addition, I left one verbal questions unmarked during the actual test because of time constrain( I guess leaving a questions unmarked impacts the overall score).I felt that SC questions in the actual test were very strange (if not difficult) than those I had gone through and I did not spend too much time on them as I would have left with very less time for CRs and RCs.So I guess that it was majorly the Sentence correction protion,which I had mainly foused on during preparation, of the test that destroyed the party;though I am not very confident in saying that.
My academics are not very bad with X-80%,XII-80%,BE-72%.I have an overall experience of around 4 years with an MNC in the field of IT and have lot many things to decorate my essay ( white papers, have a BA degree in Music ,have a music band of my own,did some NGO work etc.)
I just want to ask whether I should retake the exam or just give it up.I have already gone through almost all of the important materials such as Manhattan(SC,CR, RC), power score CR bible, 1000 SC,1000 CR(left with a few of them).Now I am only left with the KAPLAN book to study.Please suggest whether I should take the test again or not.

abhishek1234,

Sorry to hear that. After much studying, I think you'll realize that doing well on the GMAT is not about doing thousands of questions. Sure--several hundred is good practice. But if you're still not improving after a thousand--then clearly there's something in your thought process that needs to be changed.

When you say "now I am only left with the Kaplan book"--I get the sense that you're not on the right track. It's not about exhausting all books.

This is a critical reasoning logical fallacy.
You seem to be thinking: "If I go through all books --> then I will ace GMAT"

This is not right! You can go through all books and still not reach your goal. Recognizing this train of thought is also important for doing well on the CR section.

What you need to do is change the way you think.

Once you learn how to think differently--you'll be able to go back to all those thousands of questions and re-attempt those in a timed condition.

Lastly, since you say you did well on the practice tests but not as well on the actual---consider the importance of psychology and timing strategies on the actual exam.

Hope that helps. And remember, we're here to help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I, like so many others on this thread, am struggling with whether or not I should rewrite the GMAT. I took the exam on August 2, and scored a 680, which was much lower than I was expecting based on my practice exams which typically were between 720-750. I got a 44 on the quant section (lower than expected) and 40 on the verbal (expected). I am still waiting for my AWA report but expect that they should be adequate.

Although I know that this is an above average score I am struggling because I really want to apply to the top tier B-schools in the states, including HBS's 2+2 program, whose average GMAT score is around 720!

That being said, I also have a very high GPA (3.9+), am female (not sure if this gives me a demographic advantage or not), will graduate a double major in mathematics and philosophy from a top undergraduate Canadian university, research experience, paper publications, and a number of undergraduate scholarships and awards.

Also, I understand that you need to have 31 days between rewrites? Or is it just once per month maximum? Because the only possible date in September I can write is the 1st, since I have to return to my studies, and my university is not located near a testing centre. So having written on Aug 2, would I be allowed to even register for an exam on Sept 1?

Any advice? To rewrite or not to rewrite... that is the question!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
cjcf wrote:
Also, I understand that you need to have 31 days between rewrites? Or is it just once per month maximum? Because the only possible date in September I can write is the 1st, since I have to return to my studies, and my university is not located near a testing centre. So having written on Aug 2, would I be allowed to even register for an exam on Sept 1?

Any advice? To rewrite or not to rewrite... that is the question!

Yes, you need to have 31 days, so September 3rd is the earliest day for you to re-take.
The usual decision hinges on the question - can you use the time until September 3rd for a greater good for your application? Can you work on essays and get move value/strength added to the app than you would have if you studied for the GMAT?

Some people retake and get a 50 point bump but some don't (you can see that from the threads). There is no guarantee with or without studying. The key is - do you need that time. If not and you have a $250 sitting around, then by all means.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hi bb

I took my GMAT yesterday, 20 Aug 2011 and got a score of 620 (Q-46, V-29).

I used MGMAT guides and tests & Kaplan premier 2010 (with CD) for my preparation.
During my practice my score were
MGMAT-1 (Jun 1st week) - 600
MGMAT-2 (Jun 2nd week) - 590
MGMAT-3 (Jun last week) - 610
MGMAT-4 (July last week) - 650
MGMAT-5 (Aug 1st week) - 710
MGMAT-6 (19 Aug) - 680 (took it casually)

Kaplan-1 (May Last week) - 630
Kaplan-2 (july 2nd week) - 650
Kaplan-3 (july 3rd week) - 650
Kaplan-4 (Aug 2nd week) - 680

GMAT prep-1 (Jun 2nd week) - 660
GMAT prep-2 (16th Aug) - 640 (Q50, V-27)

my avg score for Quant = 47-48
my avg score for Verbal = 35-36

I have used 1000 series for all five portions (PS,DS,CR,RC & SC)
Used MGMAT SC guide for SC & CR bible for CR

My target institution is ISB(India) and IIMs(India).

Guys after seeing such score I am broken
I know with this score I head for nowhere

Should I retake the test or prepare my application (I presently serve with Army, will this make a strong profile. But I don't that it will be strong enough to compensate for such a low score.)

and if I should prepare then which all material should I refer to and what should my strategy now.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a really tough question.
I would also get a second opinion from ThinkAdmit in the Admissions Consulting forum.
I think for ISB you may want to retake since the competition is so fierce. Do get a second opinion though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
Hi bb

I understand that since my score low low for ISB, I need to retake the exam but now I am puzzled with the thought that which material should I refer to. Can you please help me on that. can you suggest some good study material or course which can me at this stage
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
ravi67741 wrote:
Hi bb

I understand that since my score low low for ISB, I need to retake the exam but now I am puzzled with the thought that which material should I refer to. Can you please help me on that. can you suggest some good study material or course which can me at this stage

Hi, sad news, but I would say: retake it without hesitation. Why? Because as I see you used pretty good materials and in most of cases your GMAT score is lower than that in practice CATs. Seems it was a bad luck.
Does retaking the test hurt you? I think no. So why not to take it again?!
You are aiming for 720+, so go and DESTROY IT! You deserve more!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Hi all,

I gave my GMAT on 2nd September and got a 680 (Q 46, V37). The debrief is quants-took-it-away-680-q46-v-120089.html

Now my question is should I retake?

My profile is: Indian (which puts me in the higher GMAT peer group), Female (which puts me in advantage :-D ) with 4.5 years of experience in banking and decent academic and extra curricular activities and some (not much) community experience and yes, very little international exposure.

The take here is that it would be my second MBA. The first one was 6 years 5 years ago and as many of you might know Indian MBAs are more academic and unless you do it from an IIM or ISB its not recognized globally. So I need to do another one. Now, my doubts are:

1. Given my background, should I retake GMAT (my reaction after looking at the score was I should, but I really want some expert opinions)? - please consider that since it would be my second MBA I would need everything to make my case strong.
2. If I should retake GMAT, what should be expected out of it? I mean how do schools take retakes and what do they expect out of retakes? Is s 30-40 point increase only will be considered good in the eyes of schools. Also what if my score comes down - how will the schools take that?
3. Again, I want to pursue a finance focused MBA, so should I focus on a better quants score and if yes- how much?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
yes I would say that you should try retaking it... improve your quant a little bit but also work on the verbal. Getting into the 40s on V will boost your score quite a bit. Once you are in the 700+ club, then you have a stronger application.

Retakes are not frowned upon and it doesn't matter what score you get, at least thats what the schools and adcoms have said. They just look at your highest score. Now if you retake it several times and start getting lower and lower scores, it may raise a concern, but other than that it can't hurt to try.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am from India and I took the GMAT yesterday.My profile:

1. Nearly 4 years of IT Exp in the financial domain.
2.Have been doing volunteering at NGOs since the past 2 years.
3.Good Extra Currics.
4. Have led and still leading departments in office and outside.
5. Write at leisure and maintain a blog.
6. A Voracious Reader

I scored a 620 (Q-41, V-35).I am not a native speaker, but have reasonably good communication skills. SC has always been an area where i have screwed my GMAT Preps as well. I am planning to retake. I scored 670,680 on my GMAT prep. The score was thus a shocker. I did the OG twice( Except RC and SC ). i think the level of problems (700+) are present in rather less numbers if they are present at all.
Questions in DS and SC have always been an area where I have had problems. I have read quite a lot of posts in this thread.
Should i go for the Verbal and Quant Official Guides as well?
During the course of my prep:

a. I had taken 2 MGMAT Mocks ( 600,670 - All in a timed environment )
b. Kaplan- 550 ( beginning of my prep ),630.
c. Manhattan Review( is very difficult and the high standard of questions )- 600
d. GMAT prep: 630( first ever ),650,670,680.
e. Princeton Review ( Free One ) : 650

Verbal
SC
Planning to tackle SC using Manhattan SC Guide, ( i did go thru it but couldn't complete it ).
I studied for 2 months before the test and joined a coaching center as well for GMAT ( Manhattan Review )
RC
Finish the OG and ( Verbal Guide for OG? )
CR: I am pretty good in this and used to get a question or 2 wrong in the mocks.
d. I have the Kaplan Premier book ( dint do much from it ) as well and would be doing questions from this as well
e. The Manhattan Review folks have also given material which has good set of tough and tougher questions.

Quant

a. The MGMAT Guides- Number properties ( i find these questions tricky in DS-esp the tougher ones )
b.OG ( Again? :?: )
c. The GMAT Club forums.
d. I have the Kaplan Premier book ( dint do much from it ) as well and would be doing questions from this as well
The Manhattan Review folks have also given material which has good set of tough and tougher questions.

I dint maintain a proper error log the first time around :( Would be doing it this time.

Please advise, if i need to plug in holes in my strategy. I am targeting:
A. Indian School of Business
b. Ross
c. IESE
d. ESADE
e. NUS
f. NTU
g. NYU Stern
h. HEC
i. Some Australian and Canadian Colleges which are in top 50.
Have some more, do you think i should give INSEAD a shot as well?

Now please let me know how to plug holes ( if any) in the retake strategy. I am planning to retake in a month.
Dont want to miss out on the retaking strategy.

Thanks
N
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hm... you seem to need the most help in your Quant (would be most valuable and perhaps easiest taking into consideration your background)

1. I would figure out what you are lacking math. Looks like number properties.
2. You may want to get a Kaplan Math Workbook since you worked through the MGMAT.
3. Work on timing and attention. timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
4. Yes, keep at least some kind of a record of what questions you got wrong
5. Get motivation and some fun free tools: gmat-tools-119941.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am relatively new to GMATCLUB and was wondering if someone can provide me with suggestions. I studied for GMAT for about 5 weeks, averaging 4 hours a day. I took GMAT and scored 700 (Q49,V36). Quant has never been an issue for me, I have never scored less than 49. The thing that is holding be back from a great score is verbal. I went through the Manhattan GMAT books last time and tried most of the Official guide problems. For me the main problems is keeping a balance between speed and accuracy. In the actual test, I had 20 minutes left for last 25 verbal questions and that is where I lost my hopes for 730+ score. I have a very good work experience, great GPA from a good undergraduate institue and average extra curiculars. I have been advised my mutiple admission consultants to retake GMAT because they think that my GMAT score is the only thing that can stand between me and top schools.

I will really appreciate if you guys can provide me with some guidance. I am planning to apply this year in R2. If you need any information to understand my case, please feel free to reply here or PM me.

Thanks a lot !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Hi Cognizant 2001,

You have a good score to take you to any school (ISB could be a little tough though) At this score, what would differentiate is the quality of work experience or academics. Having a great GPA would really help, and if you can differentiate yourself among other candidates you would be able to make it. If you are an Indian IT male, it might be more difficult to differentiate than if you are an Indian female in manufacturing/infrastructure/energy.
Schools look for diversity and candidates who are not a liability when it comes to placements; and if you can sufficiently educate the ad-com people on these two aspects in your application, you would be able to make it to any of the schools you aim for. Maybe you could try using MAP of mbacrystalball.com to quantify your current application strength.

Regards,

cognizant2001 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am relatively new to GMATCLUB and was wondering if someone can provide me with suggestions. I studied for GMAT for about 5 weeks, averaging 4 hours a day. I took GMAT and scored 700 (Q49,V36). Quant has never been an issue for me, I have never scored less than 49. The thing that is holding be back from a great score is verbal. I went through the Manhattan GMAT books last time and tried most of the Official guide problems. For me the main problems is keeping a balance between speed and accuracy. In the actual test, I had 20 minutes left for last 25 verbal questions and that is where I lost my hopes for 730+ score. I have a very good work experience, great GPA from a good undergraduate institue and average extra curiculars. I have been advised my mutiple admission consultants to retake GMAT because they think that my GMAT score is the only thing that can stand between me and top schools.

I will really appreciate if you guys can provide me with some guidance. I am planning to apply this year in R2. If you need any information to understand my case, please feel free to reply here or PM me.

Thanks a lot !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Cognizant2001,

The basic trick with GMAT as you already know is managing speed vs accuracy. I have a decent verbal score like yours, I also missed out on a great score for I entered late in the examination centre, hurried up 10 Qs after the 1st 10 Qs to cover-up on time.

As for MAP, I ain't sure how many GMAT Club members have used it. I've used it, one of my friend has used it (he is in Cambridge now with 700 GMAT); you could check out 'mba crystall ball' facebook page, to gain a better idea.

All the best,
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
I took the gmat today and managed to score 700( q49, v37). However I am not satisfied and believe i can get 740( got 730 and 740 in gmatprep 1 and 2). Was really tired towards the end and the last 15 minutes of verbal section I could not concentrate much.( should have written essays during the mock CATs :cry: )

I want to ask that would it be worth it to take the gmat again for these 30- 40 points?

As I am in the Indian IT male category, I should retake according to this thread.

really confused right now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Brar,

not sure how many mock tests you did, but if you did only 2, then I think it is better to give more mock tests which will bring consistency.
Further, you need to wait for sometime, before you can retake the exam. If you are applying within this year, and think the rest of the app can be prepared, it would be better to apply now, as all deadlines are approaching.
However, if you think you could wait till next year or want to risk scholarships by applying in later rounds, or you can't build-up the app, then look at taking at least 5-6 mock tests before the retake
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12