Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [46]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [13]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
 Q39  V28
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees [#permalink]
IMO E

at least as much to X as to Y

The s/v agreement: the value....is
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 883 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees [#permalink]
Bookmarks
bhanushalinikhil wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
514. Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.
(A) are included in earnings, than
(B) are included in earnings, as
(C) is included in earnings, than they pay
(D) is included in earnings, as is paid
(E) is included in earnings, as they pay

ok i gave it a glance n' got this one wrong.
Pls somebody explain I chose ARE over IS b'coz three sublects are joined with an "and"..doesnt this requre a plural verb?

This is what GMAT does. It plays tricks with you.
First of all, there is some modification in question. the underlined part starts from a differently. Here is the question :

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues

Now, to solve this one, the first thing you need to look is for the idiom "as much.... as" to complete. Lets look at the options. Clearly, we can eliminate A & C.

Now, next would be to look at the verbs. Here, the GMAT tricks with giving both "are" and "is in option. The way to find the best answer is to see subject verb agreement. Here, the verb is for subject "value" which is singular. Hence, Option B is eliminated.

Option D unnecessarily changes the tense to a perfect tense.

Option E maintains the tense (simple past) as well the numbers part (Many Corporations) by rightly using "they pay".

Long one eh! Hope it helps. :)

I think "they pay" is not required in option E. Although having it does not cause any harm. What you say?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
I choose E:

1) as mush ... as
2) value ... is
3) parallelism: pay...pay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q45  V27 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Value is singular so is over are so ans is E

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
tejal777 wrote:
514. Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days is included in earnings, as they pay to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.

Although E is the better than others, the use of 'they pay' is nothing but breaking the parallelism of "they pay twice As much to A as (they pay) to B"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
between D and E, I picked D

I wonder why is E not considered pronoun ambiguous, since 'they' can refer to both corporations and employees.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
bhanushalinikhil wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

ok i gave it a glance n' got this one wrong.
Pls somebody explain I chose ARE over IS b'coz three sublects are joined with an "and"..doesnt this requre a plural verb?

This is what GMAT does. It plays tricks with you.
First of all, there is some modification in question. the underlined part starts from a differently. Here is the question :

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues

Now, to solve this one, the first thing you need to look is for the idiom "as much.... as" to complete. Lets look at the options. Clearly, we can eliminate A & C.

Now, next would be to look at the verbs. Here, the GMAT tricks with giving both "are" and "is in option. The way to find the best answer is to see subject verb agreement. Here, the verb is for subject "value" which is singular. Hence, Option B is eliminated.

Option D unnecessarily changes the tense to a perfect tense.

Option E maintains the tense (simple past) as well the numbers part (Many Corporations) by rightly using "they pay".

Long one eh! Hope it helps. :)

Isn't the correct antecedent of "they " is ambiguous here, because it may also be used to modify plural "employees" ?? Please guide?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
'as much as' is the right idiom so option a and c can be eliminated. Subject is 'value of benefits', which is singular so 'is should be used. on this basis option b can be eliminated. 'As much as to full employees is not parallel to 'as is paid'. Therefore option d can be eliminated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I suppose there is some ambiguity with the antecedent they. It may also modify "employees" . Please suggest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
rose01 wrote:
between D and E, I picked D

I wonder why is E not considered pronoun ambiguous, since 'they' can refer to both corporations and employees.

It's a general understanding that corporations will be paying and not the employees.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
in an expression "as much X as Y", X and Y should be parallel. But in the OA, i dont see this parallelism exists.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [1]
Given Kudos: 1608
Send PM