GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 09:01

R1 Admission Decisions:

CMU Tepper in Calling R1 Admits   |  Kellogg Calls are Expected Shortly

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:20) correct 37% (01:30) wrong based on 3990 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 250: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 269

Originally posted by ssandeepan on 26 Aug 2008, 18:21.
Last edited by Bunuel on 28 Sep 2018, 03:17, edited 6 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 16:22
The hard thing about this question is the fact that there’s some crappy stuff in some answer choices, but that stuff isn’t necessarily WRONG. I like it better when things are WRONG, and I can eliminate them with confidence.

But… well, there’s enough crappy stuff to allow us to get to the right answer without too much pain:

Quote:
(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

In (A), there’s a lot of crappiness. The phrase “were influential” is a crappy, indirect way to say “influenced” – but it’s not WRONG, exactly. The phrase “was also an inspiration” is a crappy, indirect way to say “also inspire.” And “that included Elvis and Jerry” is a lousy way to say “including Elvis and Jerry.”

Honestly, my reaction to (A) would be “this is a crappy sentence, but I can’t really eliminate it yet.” So I’d keep it, and look for something better. But I’ll spoil the surprise: there are better options coming in a moment.

Quote:
(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from

Well… isn’t this magical? (B) gives us better versions of EVERYTHING I whined about in (A): “influenced” instead of “were influential”; “inspired” instead of “was an inspiration”; and “including” instead of “that included.”

(B) is looking relatively nice. Let’s keep it.

Quote:
(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to

(C) has a pretty severe subject-verb error: “repertory, views… and vocal style…” needs a plural verb, “were influential”, not “was influential.”

(C) also has some of the same “crappy stuff” we saw in (A): “was inspirational” is a crappy way to say “inspired”, “that included” is a poopy version of “including”, and “was different significantly in comparison” is a tragically bad way to say “differed significantly.”

So we have lots of reasons to ditch (C).

Quote:
(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to

(D) has exactly the same subject-verb error as (C): “repertory, views… and vocal style…” needs a plural verb, so “was influential” is wrong.

And again: there's lots of crappy stuff here. The phrase “music of whom” is a ridiculous way to say “whose music”, and “differed significantly when compared to” is a really inefficient way to say “different significantly from.”

So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:
(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

If you’ve seen our videos on pronouns or comparisons, you’ve heard me talk about the phrase “that of” (also discussed in this article). In this case, “that” is a singular pronoun, which seems to refer to “music.”

Trouble is, when you re-read that part of the sentence with “music” replacing “that”, it doesn’t really make sense: “…including Elvis and Jerry, whose music was significantly different from the music of his own.” Huh? The phrase “…different from the music of his own” makes no sense. Why not just say “different from his own” instead?

Plus, (E) also features some crappy stuff again: “were an influence” isn’t as sharp as “were influential”, and “was an inspiration” is a lousier version of “inspired”. Those things aren’t WRONG, but they’re definitely not great.

So (E) is out, and (B) is our best bet.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2012, 19:55
ssandeepan wrote:
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

Hey guys, sorry to bring this up again but I just wanted to look at this question from a different angle:

Do this question in under 30 seconds:

RULE Relative pronouns THAT vs WHICH: one cannot use 'that' with a comma:

Hence A and C are out.

Contenders remaining: B,D,E

D: The music of whom (sounds awkward) ELIMINATED.
E: whose music was significantly different from that of : here that is redundant OR 'influential on' is an unidiomatic structure ELIMINATED.

Thus B is correct.

Note: The use of were vs was:
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were...
In this instance the use of the underlined were is correct because it refers to repertory,views on musical collaboration and vocal style and not Bill Munroe.
But as we just discussed, this sentence has other issues.
We could have eliminated D this way too...

was also an inspiration to many musicians,.......
In this part, 'was' refers to Bill Munroe and is therefore correct.

Just another was to eliminate choices....
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2011, 18:01
Can someone try to explain why 'whose music was significantly different from that of his own' is wrong in E.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 08:56
schandok wrote:
Can someone try to explain why 'whose music was significantly different from that of his own' is wrong in E.

Hi,

The issue with choice E is that it uses an expression that is considered unidiomatic. The expression "were an influence on" in choice E is that expression.

Also, GMAT emphasizes on concise expressions and use of fewer words to effectively convey the meaning of the sentence. In choice E, we have a few very wordy expressions: "was also an inspiration to" ans "whose music was significantly different from that of". The first expression can be written as "inspired". Also active voice is preferred here because the emphasis is on the doer. The sentence talks about Bill Monroe who is the subject in the sentence. Hence it is better to keep all the actions in active voice for clarity and conciseness.

The second expression includes a contrast between the music of Bill Monroe and Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia. Notice that in choice B, this contrast reads as: "whose music differed significantly from his own (music)." The word "music" is understood after "own" as it appears already in the sentence. Hence the use of "that of" becomes wordy in choice E. These are the reasons why choice E is eliminated and choice B is the correct answer.

The detailed video solution to this OG V2 question is available to the e-gmat customers. The solution is included in our course OG V2 Solutions.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 21:14
My doubt regarding the option B is: Shouldn't there be "from that of" at the end of option B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 23:20
gmatter0913 wrote:
My doubt regarding the option B is: Shouldn't there be "from that of" at the end of option B?

Lets see whether THAT is necessary. If we cut all the fluff, we get

Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia music differed significantly from his own
What does "His own" stands for? "HIS OWN" is a Possessive pronoun & They are not followed by nouns, but stand alone.
HIS OWN means HIS OWN MUSIC. Thus this use is absolutely correct.

Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia music differed significantly from THAT OF his own
THAT stands for MUSIC, so we can rewrite the above sentence as
Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia music differed significantly from MUSIC OF his own MUSIC
Now my question is- Do you think we need to repeat MUSIC by using THAT, if MUSIC is already implied through the use of HIS OWN, a possessive pronoun.
I Hope your answer would be big NO

For the same reason option B is absolutely correct.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16, NUS '15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 00:58
Hi E-GMAT,

i got stuck with the sentence structure of this question could you please explained especially the "whose repertory,
views on musical collaboration, and vocal style infl uenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians," in the sentence "whose repertory and then comma" what is 'views and vocal style" is it a noun modifier?

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Mar 2014, 00:46
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

i got stuck with the sentence structure of this question could you please explained especially the "whose repertory,
views on musical collaboration, and vocal style infl uenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians," in the sentence "whose repertory and then comma" what is 'views and vocal style" is it a noun modifier?

Thanks

Dear Nitin,

These three items form a list. Next time, try the sentence structure analysis; it'll help you identify the parts of the sentence. Here's the analysis:

Clause 1: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe,
Clause 2: whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists,
Clause 1 continued: was also an inspiration to many musicians,
Clause 3: that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia,
Clause 4: whose music differed significantly from his own.

I have highlighted the subjects in red and the verbs in blue.

What does this sentence mean? Its main point is to say that Monroe inspired many musicians, including people whose music was different from his own. The part you have a question about is a clause that functions as a modifier: whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass musicians. This modifier contains a list: three aspects of Monroe's music influenced other musicians. These were: (1) his repertory, (1) his views on musical collaboration, and (3) his vocal style.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Originally posted by egmat on 10 Mar 2014, 06:36.
Last edited by egmat on 11 Mar 2014, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 07:24
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Thanks

Dear Nitin,

These three items form a list. Next time, try the sentence structure analysis; it'll help you identify the parts of the sentence. Here's the analysis:

Clause 1: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe,
Clause 2: whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists,
Clause 1 continued: was also an inspiration to many musicians,
Clause 3: that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia,
Clause 4: whose music differed significantly from his own.

I have highlighted the subjects in red and the verbs in blue.

What does this sentence mean? It's main point is to say that Monroe inspired many musicians, including people whose music was different from his own. The part you have a question about is a clause that functions as a modifier: whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass musicians. This modifier contains a list: three aspects Monroe's music influenced other musicians. These were: (1) his repertory, (1) his views on musical collaboration, and (3) his vocal style.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Thanks for the explanation. I was stuck between B & E and I picked E over B as I think B changes the meaning of the original sentence.
As per your analysis was refers to Bill Monroe, not his repertory, views and vocal style.
But in B, also inspired doesn't seem to refer to Bill Monroe, instead it is referring to his repertory, views and vocal style.

Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

Is this analysis correct.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 07:57
prasun9 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I was stuck between B & E and I picked E over B as I think B changes the meaning of the original sentence.
As per your analysis was refers to Bill Monroe, not his repertory, views and vocal style.
But in B, also inspired doesn't seem to refer to Bill Monroe, instead it is referring to his repertory, views and vocal style.

Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

Is this analysis correct.

Dear Prasun,

Thanks for your response. Let me address both issues you've pointed out. First, Bill Monroe is indeed the subject of "also inspired". You can be sure about this by removing the modifier and checking if the sentence still makes sense:

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

When the modifier is removed, the subject still makes sense with the verb "inspired". Remember that modifiers placed between commas give additional information that can be removed without affecting the main point or the grammatical correctness of the sentence, so this is a good way to strip the sentence down to its basic elements and check whether it is correct.

Second, Monroe's repertory, views and vocal style can't be the subject of "inspired", for two reasons. 1) If so, the subject Bill Monroe no longer has a verb. 2) If the subject "repertory, views and vocal style" has two verbs, then these verbs should be joined by a connector such as "and", since they should be parallel items on a list. There is no such conjunction between "influenced" and "inspired".

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts!

Regards,
Meghna

SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 19:54
The first point of elimination should be the subject verb agreement.
The subject is plural here, hence we need a plural verb - were.
Eliminate C and D

When faced with a choice, always follow VAN.

Option A does not follow this rule. Plus that should not be preceded by a comma
Option B is correct as is.
Option E is in passive voice and uses were and influence, which falls below influenced in the VAN rule

Correct Option: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 20:25
Hi daagh egmat sayantanc2k

in B (the correct answer) we have ,V-ing. From my understanding: ,V-ing is used to modify the entire preceding clause, but in B , V-ing is used to modify the preceding noun musicians.

Could you please explain such contradiction in B? Many thanks for your kindly comments! :-D

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 22:51
Top Contributor
The very purpose of using ", V-ing" is for not referring to the touching noun. If you want the 'including' to refer to the musicians, then you should remove the comma as in 'many musicians including''. Therefore, the comma plus V-ing is not referring to the musicians as I see it.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 02:00
daagh wrote:
The very purpose of using ", V-ing" is for not referring to the touching noun. If you want the 'including' to refer to the musicians, then you should remove the comma as in 'many musicians including''. Therefore, the comma plus V-ing is not referring to the musicians as I see it.

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

I can not figure out which phrase ,including modifies? Hi daagh, please elaborate more on modifier ,including!

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 04:45
Top Contributor
Probably the following link may be of help.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t1118.html

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 09:37
leanhdung wrote:
in B (the correct answer) we have ,V-ing. From my understanding: ,V-ing is used to modify the entire preceding clause, but in B , V-ing is used to modify the preceding noun musicians.

Could you please explain such contradiction in B? Many thanks for your kindly comments! :-D

Hi leanhdung, actually the word including is not your usual V-ing modifier. In fact, it's not a modifier at all; it is actually a preposition. Hence, the usual rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a brief note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including_SC Nirvana.pdf [10.91 KiB]
Downloaded 56 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 18:48
ssandeepan wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 274
Page: 268

From Ron (Manhattan)

A:
- "Influential on" is bad idiomatic usage.
- "That included" can't follow a comma, and, even if you remove the comma, the meaning is absurd (the implication would be that Elvis and Jerry composed part of the anatomy of many different musicians).

C:
- "Was influential to" is at best awkward.
- See A for discussion of "that included."
- "Significantly" should come before "different."
- "In comparison to" is redundant because the sentence already says "different."

D:
- See above for "influential to."
- The wording of this choice implies that bluegrass artists aren't musicians (skeleton sentence: "BM, whose stuff influenced lots of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians.")
- "The music of whom" is wordy ("whose music" is better).
- "Differed when compared to" is redundant - and it's an incorrect interpretation (literally, it means that the music was only 'different' when someone was actively comparing it to some other music).

E:
- "That of his own" is redundant (and incorrect, because it literally means "Bill Monroe's music's music").

(remember, 'comma + including' is a modifier THAT EXISTS SPECIFICALLY TO CONVEY the idea of 'I'm naming some, but not all, members of a group'. if that's the intended meaning, then use it!)

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 08:48
ssandeepan wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 274
Page: 268

Apologies for digging up an old thread. For point B, could someone please comment on ",also inspired many musicians"? I had ruled out B because I assumed that this comma was unnecessary. In my mind, "Bill whose...influenced X also inspired Y" seems parallel but when you try to break it up with the comma the ",also inspired..." sounds really weird.
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 09:17
pafrompa wrote:

Apologies for digging up an old thread. For point B, could someone please comment on ",also inspired many musicians"? I had ruled out B because I assumed that this comma was unnecessary. In my mind, "Bill whose...influenced X also inspired Y" seems parallel but when you try to break it up with the comma the ",also inspired..." sounds really weird.

Hi pafrompa,

First of all it is a good practice to ask question on an existing thread. Have you noticed REQUEST EXPERT REPLY button just below the verbal questions? try them :D

Now comes to the query:

Subject + modifier inside commas + verb
Bill Monroe , whose views and style influenced generations, also inspired

so the comma just before the ALSO is necessary. otherwise it would look like "generations of bluegrass artists" inspired many musicians not Bill.

Here is the entire structure:
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe
------------------------------,whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists,
also inspired many musicians
---------------------------------,including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia
---------------------------------------------------------------------,whose music differed significantly from his own.

Hope this helps :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jun 2017, 09:17

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap