GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 10:49
Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from --were influential is not prefered

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from --Correct

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to --SV disagreement

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to --Same as C

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of --were an influence on is not prefered
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: QOTD: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 23:10
(A) were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from - we need 'who' to refer to the musicians and not 'that'

(B) influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from - Correct.

(C) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, was also inspirational to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was different significantly in comparison to - subject 'repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style' is plural. We need a plural verb 'were'.

(D) was influential to generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, who included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, the music of whom differed significantly when compared to - Same as C.

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of - 'that of' is redundant.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 3: 560 Q40 V27
GPA: 3.86
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 03:44
egmat wrote:
prasun9 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. I was stuck between B & E and I picked E over B as I think B changes the meaning of the original sentence.
As per your analysis was refers to Bill Monroe, not his repertory, views and vocal style.
But in B, also inspired doesn't seem to refer to Bill Monroe, instead it is referring to his repertory, views and vocal style.

Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

Is this analysis correct.

Dear Prasun,

Thanks for your response. Let me address both issues you've pointed out. First, Bill Monroe is indeed the subject of "also inspired". You can be sure about this by removing the modifier and checking if the sentence still makes sense:

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

When the modifier is removed, the subject still makes sense with the verb "inspired". Remember that modifiers placed between commas give additional information that can be removed without affecting the main point or the grammatical correctness of the sentence, so this is a good way to strip the sentence down to its basic elements and check whether it is correct.

Second, Monroe's repertory, views and vocal style can't be the subject of "inspired", for two reasons. 1) If so, the subject Bill Monroe no longer has a verb. 2) If the subject "repertory, views and vocal style" has two verbs, then these verbs should be joined by a connector such as "and", since they should be parallel items on a list. There is no such conjunction between "influenced" and "inspired".

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts!

Regards,
Meghna

egmat or any other expert: Can you please explain to me why "also" is right in choice B?

the way I read the sentence is that "Bill Monroe also inspired" (forgetting about the modifier for a second), but that doesn't make sense because what did he do first that warrants an "also" ? The modifier says that it was his repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style that influenced other generations, so not Bill himself. So then shouldn't it just be that "Bill Monroe inspired" and no "also".

For this reason I rejected B, but obviously that is wrong. So does that mean that "also + verb" can be standalone without any other verbs attached to the subject?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 15:32
Hello everyone,
This may be a very noob query, but it is bothering me a lot.
Why is the option B not eliminated straight away due to ambiguity.. Let me clarify-
The words 'also inspired' could refer to either bill monroe or his views.
There seems to be an additional error, if you assume that 'also inspired' refers to the compound subject his views, repertory, then where is the verb for the main subject bill monroe.
And if you assume that it refers to bill monroe, then what is the word 'also' doing there.. What did bill monroe do previously?
I am new to SC and please pardon me if i am missing something obvious.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2019, 18:28
Wulfang wrote:
Hello everyone,
This may be a very noob query, but it is bothering me a lot.
Why is the option B not eliminated straight away due to ambiguity.. Let me clarify-
The words 'also inspired' could refer to either bill monroe or his views.
There seems to be an additional error, if you assume that 'also inspired' refers to the compound subject his views, repertory, then where is the verb for the main subject bill monroe.
And if you assume that it refers to bill monroe, then what is the word 'also' doing there.. What did bill monroe do previously?
I am new to SC and please pardon me if i am missing something obvious.
There is no ambiguity in this case, because inspired is the main verb in option B. This is the sentence we get:

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

The also is not incorrect. It continues the idea introduced by the whose repertory... bit without being part of the same structure. For example:

Her father, who is considered one of the best CEOs ever, is also a capable cook.

Here the also continues the CEO idea, even though it is not attached to the who is... clause.
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 04:25
daagh wrote:
The very purpose of using ", V-ing" is for not referring to the touching noun. If you want the 'including' to refer to the musicians, then you should remove the comma as in 'many musicians including''. Therefore, the comma plus V-ing is not referring to the musicians as I see it.
sir i have so many doubts regarding this ", ing" in this particular question. What i learned is that ", ing" must modify whole previous clause not musicians and ", ing" modify in two ways:-
1. cause and effect of previous clause or
2. give answer of how in this question.
and i think both of them not working here

And if you look difference between noun+noun modifier and , ing modifier then ",ing" modifier must make sense with the subject and verb of previous clause. Even this function is not performed by the sentence. I think it should modify only musicians because that will give sense. Please reply as soon as possible.
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 08:07
Hi Rishabh, including is not your typical present participial phrase; including is actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time

To download please login or register as a user

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 20:38
Just another point to note that can help get to the answer choice:

Ignore the modifier and what sentence makes more sense?

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were influential on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, that included Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own.

(B) influenced (strong verb) generations of bluegrass artists, ..

(incorrect verb) (C) and (D) use a singular verb, was, when a plural verb, were, should be used --> Eliminate

(E) were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of

E has the same structure as (A): "...Bill monroe, [modifier], was also an inspiration to many musicians" --> this structure makes as if Bill is among others who influenced the many muscians.

For example: John and Dan were influencers, but Bill was also an influencer.
Non-Human User
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 19:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 19:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical coll

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap