Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Part-Time Stern Vs. Full Time Schools [#permalink]
Quote:
There are NO safety schools this year, and probably next year as well. Johnson, Fuqua, and Darden may have been considered

Gives me more incentive to apply part-time. :(

Quote:
As for career placement, from what I can gather, the office of career development is pretty useless. But you should know what you're getting into, which is you will be shut out of all recruiting events.

I have heard that the school has been really trying in the last two years because of all the student complaints. For example, the career center task force, is dedicated to help part-time students and has actually enabled some to participate with full-time recruitment. https://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~ptlf/CSTF/AboutCSTF.html
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
Do bear in mind that the career services offered to Langone students through the CCWP are not exclusive to part-time MBA students. All NYU alumni (if I understand this correctly) have access to the CCWP.

Furthemore, NYU doesn't disclose any recruiting statistics related to its Langone grads and by its own admission claims that the full-time program is more suited to career changers.

Moreover, have you looked into how long it would take you to complete the program? For instance, a typical weekend only schedule would last 2.5 years, cost about 60,000$ and require you to sign away most of your weekends during that period. That's a pretty intense schedule to keep - especially if as you say you're looking to get married within the next year or two. It's obviously an ever bigger commitment when you're looking to make the move from Systems (back-office) to S&T (front-office) since you'd have to put in a lot of extra effort into networking and recruiting etc.

Figure out why you want an MBA. If it's truly to switch careers, then there's no point in trying to "game the system" and applying to NYU Langone instead of Stern full-time because it's easier to get in. The admissions committee will figure this out - the fact that you like New York and want to stay here isn't an entirely convincing argument on its own.

Work on getting some leadership experience, perhaps take some classes to make up for your GPA, and apply to a full-time program of your liking.

And no offense, but unless you have some stellar extracurricular experience you haven't disclosed, you're severely underestimating how selective Darden, Cornell and Duke have become.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Send PM
I think it is what you make of it. People argue the connections and network you build during the full-time MBA is priceless, but what limits you from doing that at a part-time program? Not to mention that you will be attending classes with people working at companies and roles you may one day want to transition into; Part-time students at a Stern, Kellog, or a Booth represent most of the companies that full-time students aspire to work at.

I do believe that at a certain point the part-time MBA trumps the full-time program, but where that occurs is a mystery. I would have to guess outside of the top 20. Ask yourself this: Part-time MBA from Kellogg or Booth; identical curriculums as full-time programs and top 5 schools that grant you identical degrees, less internship and recruiting if your employer doesn't allow you to participate... OR full-time Ross? if yes, how about full-time Washington U...etc.

To me, brand name is more valuable than an internship and networking can be done at both. It is what you make of it. Those who sit back and think their degree will do all the talking may have a tough time in the part-time program.
GMAT Club Bot