GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Nov 2018, 03:04
Hey Guys,

I am debating between the full time and part time MBA program at the top 15-25 schools for full time and Emory/GA Tech for evening MBA programs.

Current Situation: I am a financial/Business data analyst at 80K currently, and should become a senior Financial/Business Data Analyst at 90K next year and I am based in Atlanta. I can currently work from home 1 day out of the week as a analyst, and can get to work from home 2 days out of the week as a Senior Analyst.

My thought process was to pursue the part time MBA program and while earning full 90K salary for the two years. Another benefit is that I can use the two work from home days on campus and complete work assignments, but get to study for tests and courses while on campus and could go straight to class after 5 PM. So it would give me a great balance and I could complete the part time program easier. Also, with a full work income, I am planning to get most of my MBA school loans paid off around the time i would graduate part time MBA school. Work is not insanely stressful so I think I can balance with the part time program.

But at the same time, I have heard that part time MBA programs dont have the full career growth or earnings potential as a full time student. I am trying to figure out if the tradeoffs of not getting any income and an additional MBA loans would be worth it. I would be targeting schools similar to Emory for full time and part time.

Also, has anyone been in a situation where they are completing their part time MBA program and have been able to switch jobs/industries while in school? To financial/ management consulting firms?

Originally posted by only700andup on 20 Jun 2018, 20:10.
Last edited by Narenn on 07 Nov 2018, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
Topic moved to appropriate forum
Thread Master - Part Time MBA Programs
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 144
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 13:37
only700andup wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am debating between the full time and part time MBA program at the top 15-25 schools for full time and Emory/GA Tech for evening MBA programs.

Current Situation: I am a financial/Business data analyst at 80K currently, and should become a senior Financial/Business Data Analyst at 90K next year and I am based in Atlanta. I can currently work from home 1 day out of the week as a analyst, and can get to work from home 2 days out of the week as a Senior Analyst.

My thought process was to pursue the part time MBA program and while earning full 90K salary for the two years. Another benefit is that I can use the two work from home days on campus and complete work assignments, but get to study for tests and courses while on campus and could go straight to class after 5 PM. So it would give me a great balance and I could complete the part time program easier. Also, with a full work income, I am planning to get most of my MBA school loans paid off around the time i would graduate part time MBA school. Work is not insanely stressful so I think I can balance with the part time program.

But at the same time, I have heard that part time MBA programs dont have the full career growth or earnings potential as a full time student. I am trying to figure out if the tradeoffs of not getting any income and an additional MBA loans would be worth it. I would be targeting schools similar to Emory for full time and part time.

Also, has anyone been in a situation where they are completing their part time MBA program and have been able to switch jobs/industries while in school? To financial/ management consulting firms?


I might be biased since I am looking into PT programs, but career growth or earnings have nothing to do with FT or PT. It's how you perform at your work. FT is better if you're planning to change your career and want to experience the full b-school life, but PT will do fine and I have seen many changing their careers through PT. You just have to work harder since you have full time job.

If you can finish the school under 3 years, i'd go for PT.
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 6269
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2018, 03:10
It's a nice discussion point. Thank you for starting this thread. I am taking it outside the confines of Haas forum to more open BSchool applications forum where it would be more visible and likely to receive replies from MBA experts as well as students of leading FT and PT programs.
_________________
2020 MBA Applicants: Introduce Yourself Here!
MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2018
Posts: 1
GMAT ToolKit User
Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 16:08
I debated this same question and decided on the FT MBA. I'm not even really planning to switch industries either but chose FT. I think your experience in PT MBAs will really vary based on the school. There are some great ones out there and some truly terrible ones. The PT MBA is great if you're looking into getting a promotion and the degree is more of a checkbox for you.

I looked into a lot of PT and even online programs before deciding on FT. I did not get the sense that a PT MBA would offer the same level of learning or networking of a FT MBA. If you really want to get the full "transformational" MBA experience then you need to spend time on the experience and for me that meant FT MBA.

If you are set on Finance or Management Consulting, then it will depend on your planned companies. If you're targeting some of the lower tier consulting companies then you won't have as hard of a road to get in. If you have plans to work at MBB(B) for example, I would suggest you look at FT MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 12:12
1
hanamana wrote:
only700andup wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am debating between the full time and part time MBA program at the top 15-25 schools for full time and Emory/GA Tech for evening MBA programs.

Current Situation: I am a financial/Business data analyst at 80K currently, and should become a senior Financial/Business Data Analyst at 90K next year and I am based in Atlanta. I can currently work from home 1 day out of the week as a analyst, and can get to work from home 2 days out of the week as a Senior Analyst.

My thought process was to pursue the part time MBA program and while earning full 90K salary for the two years. Another benefit is that I can use the two work from home days on campus and complete work assignments, but get to study for tests and courses while on campus and could go straight to class after 5 PM. So it would give me a great balance and I could complete the part time program easier. Also, with a full work income, I am planning to get most of my MBA school loans paid off around the time i would graduate part time MBA school. Work is not insanely stressful so I think I can balance with the part time program.

But at the same time, I have heard that part time MBA programs dont have the full career growth or earnings potential as a full time student. I am trying to figure out if the tradeoffs of not getting any income and an additional MBA loans would be worth it. I would be targeting schools similar to Emory for full time and part time.

Also, has anyone been in a situation where they are completing their part time MBA program and have been able to switch jobs/industries while in school? To financial/ management consulting firms?


I might be biased since I am looking into PT programs, but career growth or earnings have nothing to do with FT or PT. It's how you perform at your work. FT is better if you're planning to change your career and want to experience the full b-school life, but PT will do fine and I have seen many changing their careers through PT. You just have to work harder since you have full time job.

If you can finish the school under 3 years, i'd go for PT.


Fully agree with most of this post, but there are some employers out there who do not view FT and PT students the same. At Haas where this started it's a little different as supposedly all students get the same OCR opportunities, but in practice for many/most bschools the FT students get recruited very differently than PT. Also, as the admission standards are so relaxed for PT there can be the perception that FT are sharper.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17627
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 15:15
There was also something a year or two ago when Anderson decided to remove "PT" designation from the diplomas of the PT students, that the FT student body got upset that the FT program was getting somewhat devalued because indeed, PT programs have lower requirements all across the board.
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Nov 2018
Posts: 28
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 13:07
bb wrote:
There was also something a year or two ago when Anderson decided to remove "PT" designation from the diplomas of the PT students, that the FT student body got upset that the FT program was getting somewhat devalued because indeed, PT programs have lower requirements all across the board.



Well average stats, not requirements. And that's true, except for work experience. In reality I'm a bit skeptical of the actual difference in quality at *top* schools.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17627
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 10:26
1
To some extent but the experience is not apples to apples. You have a lot less reflection time and fewer transformation and growth opportunities.

Diff professors and diff classmates with program being focused on the immediacy of ones current job or being pretty theoretical.

The recruiting component is largely missing from the PT programs as well as the internship experience.

Pretty much everyone has a job and recruiting and moving up takes a third or fourth priority which means it is delayed until after graduation.

There is a reason it is easier to get in.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 10:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Part Time vs Full Time MBA: ROI/Trade Offs, Career Projections

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne