It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2208 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 15:15
bozo190101 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Well, i think it depends on what you want to do... if its non-transitional, then yes, your prior existing job creates leverage.

On the other hand, I know a girl who works for IBM at the moment and hasn't been able to land a single FT offer - and she's trying to stay in the same industry and just switch from technology to strategy. Not Booz, not bain, not mcksiney, not deloitte, not at kearney, not a single one of them wanted her. It seems like there are some PT who network well, connect well, and move forward - there are others that don't.

I think back to the girl I know at IBM Global Svcs -- if she can't break out of that firm into another consulting firm (thats not that big of a leap) could I have broken out of my job into General Mgmt ? Probably not.

Can you get copies of employment reports for the PT program? That might be able to answer many of your questions....
Another option is to raise these concerns with the school and ask them if they can put you in touch with some students who have sucessfully made changes to their careers.
Also consider finding out who runs the PT clubs, or if the FT clubs are open to you at Stern.

Stern may provide a different set of opportunities.

Excellent post Rhyme. Thank you so much. That was a very insightful answer.

I highlighted my key take aways from your notes and the situation that girl at IBM is facing is what worries me. Not a major shift from Environmental Engineering Consulting to a more Environmental Strategy Consulting.

I have sent my feelers out to several students I know on the clubs, recruiting events etc. I will check for the employment reports. Didn't ask for those.

I agree with you also that FT will hate you with a vengance at career fairs and I agree. It's not a fair situation.

That said, my visa situation doesn't allow me to move into a Full Time. 6 yrs on H1B and no Green Card (for Internationals that might ring a bell). Essentially after my MBA I will not be able to take a job in the US..

Your notes really helps me prepare me for the worst. I'll send you a pm with some other questions and thoughts. This is one tough question but at the end of it I think you have to take a risk, believe in yourself and work hard so that is works out.

Thanks...

Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm in hawaii next week, but around other than that.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 15:32
rhyme wrote:
I'm in hawaii next week

you just had to say that didn't you?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 15:34
jallenmorris wrote:
rhyme wrote:
I'm in hawaii next week

you just had to say that didn't you?

Its not like its a free trip, I'm paying for it. And if it makes you feel better, my trip to the bahamas this week got canceled so I spent christmas at home, alone and sick with a cold.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 15:37
No, the cancelled trip to the Bahamas doesn't make me feel any better and free or on your own, you're still going to be in Hawaii. Enjoy it. I went in 2001 and it was awesome!!!

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 15:38
jallenmorris wrote:
No, the cancelled trip to the Bahamas doesn't make me feel any better and free or on your own, you're still going to be in Hawaii. Enjoy it. I went in 2001 and it was awesome!!!

I'll be on Oahu. If you have any recommendations, please feel free to PM me :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 15:40
i thought he might be working for obama ;)

and about commitment - i dont know

i guess large companies somehow benefit from tuition reimbursment because thats how they attract ppl to join or to stay with the company even not so many actually use this option at the end

also, i heard companies can actually get a tax relief for the money they contributed, not sure about this tho

and not so many students can afford to pay for the full time

keep in mind that if u do part time, the only choice that u have is the best school in your city

u cant go part time in chicago if u live in california

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 16:01
We spent all but a day on the Big Island because my wife's grandfather has a house on the Big Island. No hotel bill (and he rented a car for us) sounded like a good idea. We took a helicopter tour over the volcanoes. That was amazing. And a submarine ride...definitely worth the $. We were going to take a dinner cruise (part of a tourist package we bought) but weather cancelled that. Make sure you take some time and either snorkel or scuba dive. Also, boogie board or surf. even if you think you'll suck at it.

My brother-in-law and his wife lived within walking distance of Wikiki for the last 3 years while he was in ROTC and getting his MBA from U of Hawaii. They absolutely loved it. Said surfing is the best. And they often have free movie night on the beach. A big projection screen plays the movie and you dig your own seat out of the sand to whatever is most comfortable. It's usually an older movie, but they said it's realy fun and a great way to meet people.

rhyme wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

I'll be on Oahu. If you have any recommendations, please feel free to PM me :)

J Allen Morris

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2008, 16:41
spiridon wrote:

keep in mind that if u do part time, the only choice that u have is the best school in your city

Thats actually pretty common believe it or not. I know quite a few people who fly in on weekends for their classes. In fact, the guy who I mentioned who summered with Lehman and then went to McKinsey lives out west.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 05:52
I was wondering about that very thing rhyme. Flying in on Thursday night for the weekend classes. I think the classes are Friday - Sunday right?

rhyme wrote:
spiridon wrote:

Thats actually pretty common believe it or not. I know quite a few people who fly in on weekends for their classes. In fact, the guy who I mentioned who summered with Lehman and then went to McKinsey lives out west.

J Allen Morris

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 07:40
rhyme wrote:
spiridon wrote:

Wow, thats interesting.. wondering how much does it cost to do so. Not to mention time spent in flights and waits on the airports... I would definitely do full time instead of that

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 07:57
Of course you wouldn't do this over FT. You're also not a mid- to late thirty-something that is being paid a lot by his company and is being told "We want you to get your MBA. We'll sponsor you into an executive program at one of the top schools and fly you there weekly." A company that will do this for a person has plans for that person in the company's future. That's a great spot to be in and I doubt weekly travel is that uncommon for a person in this position anyway. Airports aren't that bad. I actually really like them. You can find some great business books in the bookstores at airports. After all, who is one of the main target customers of the bookstore?

spiridon wrote:
rhyme wrote:
spiridon wrote:

Wow, thats interesting.. wondering how much does it cost to do so. Not to mention time spent in flights and waits on the airports... I would definitely do full time instead of that

J Allen Morris

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 08:47
That's not always the case jallenmorris. I met a guy at my local Booth happy hour a couple weeks ago who is pretty much funding the PT weekend program himself. He flies to Chicago every weekend on his own dime. He said his company gives him $5K per year, but that's really nothing in the grand scheme of things. He is similar to the guy rhyme mentioned in that he works for a bank currently and is going to work FT at McKinsey when he graduates this spring (in a big city in a faraway country).

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 09:06
I'd do the same thing if my employer would let me work 4 days a week, but that's not an option with my manager. I figure how many weekends would there be per semester? 14? 16? so 16 per semester x 2 semesters a year x $250 each ticket x 2 years = $16,000. Yeah, that's a lot of $$, but to give you the opportunity to have an MBA from U of Chicago or Kellogg, or Columbia? Seems like a fair amount to pay for that. That doesn't factor in the frequent flyer miles that could be used in lieu of buying more tickets.

maverick2011 wrote:
That's not always the case jallenmorris. I met a guy at my local Booth happy hour a couple weeks ago who is pretty much funding the PT weekend program himself. He flies to Chicago every weekend on his own dime. He said his company gives him $5K per year, but that's really nothing in the grand scheme of things. He is similar to the guy rhyme mentioned in that he works for a bank currently and is going to work FT at McKinsey when he graduates this spring (in a big city in a faraway country).

J Allen Morris

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
I am one of those weekenders who flies in on Fridays and flies out on Saturdays at Kellogg. Classes are only on Saturday.While it is true that certain career opportunities are not available for PT-students, we do have acess to career services provided we meet certain criteria.

The fact that the classes comprises of students, who fly in from different parts of the country and have diverse backgrounds, makes them very interesting. Also, the students have the average age of around 29 years with over 6 years of work experience. This makes class discussions thought provoking.

It certainly costs a pretty penny and takes some effort. But, I have seen the Kellogg brand name travel well all over the world. So, its' worth the effort in my opinion and the cost ( and that of about 65% of my class that travelmany a miles). Ofcourse, I don't know if it will pay off for sure. But, I would bet on it if I gambled.

On a different topic; one of the points discussed earlier was that the first job\2 years after the MBA are very crucial in setting the trajectory of one's career. With Investment banking and the economy tanking, does it mean that the FT MBAs (and maybe even PT-MBAs) who graduate now will in general be set for lower income/opportunity trajectorycompared to their peers who graduated during the good times? Also, how would the opportunity cost for full time compare with part time in this scenario?

-Stoic

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 09:59
There was a great article posted on here this summer discussing the very topic you bring up. How the economic situation at the time of graduation significatly impacts those graduates' earning potential. Maybe someone can help me find the link.

stoic wrote:
I am one of those weekenders who flies in on Fridays and flies out on Saturdays at Kellogg. Classes are only on Saturday.While it is true that certain career opportunities are not available for PT-students, we do have acess to career services provided we meet certain criteria.

The fact that the classes comprises of students, who fly in from different parts of the country and have diverse backgrounds, makes them very interesting. Also, the students have the average age of around 29 years with over 6 years of work experience. This makes class discussions thought provoking.

It certainly costs a pretty penny and takes some effort. But, I have seen the Kellogg brand name travel well all over the world. So, its' worth the effort in my opinion and the cost ( and that of about 65% of my class that travelmany a miles). Ofcourse, I don't know if it will pay off for sure. But, I would bet on it if I gambled.

On a different topic; one of the points discussed earlier was that the first job\2 years after the MBA are very crucial in setting the trajectory of one's career. With Investment banking and the economy tanking, does it mean that the FT MBAs (and maybe even PT-MBAs) who graduate now will in general be set for lower income/opportunity trajectorycompared to their peers who graduated during the good times? Also, how would the opportunity cost for full time compare with part time in this scenario?

-Stoic

J Allen Morris

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 17:57
My company contributes 10,000/year, however you have to stay for a year after.

Does this basically ruin my career opportunities for working outside my company?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 21:58
well basically you're stuck if you want to move out right after.
I would guess that means you won't take advantage of whatever the career services offer for current students... cause you can't quit until a year after. The network you gain from the school experience would still be useful though.
That's my take on it.
I'm in a similar situation..my company contribute 6k/year, but I'm not sure what the commitments are.
I personally prefer the flexibility, but if you see your future lies in your current work...take the ca$h.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 15:10
jallenmorris wrote:
Of course you wouldn't do this over FT. You're also not a mid- to late thirty-something that is being paid a lot by his company and is being told "We want you to get your MBA. We'll sponsor you into an executive program at one of the top schools and fly you there weekly." A company that will do this for a person has plans for that person in the company's future. That's a great spot to be in and I doubt weekly travel is that uncommon for a person in this position anyway. Airports aren't that bad. I actually really like them. You can find some great business books in the bookstores at airports. After all, who is one of the main target customers of the bookstore?

I find it a really hard to believe (although I can't prove it) that companies push their managers to get their MBAs in that way, at least at the large scale.

I cannot think of an organization that would have "plans" of development of that level for its employees. Maybe they will reimburse your tuition at best, but I really doubt that many will say "we want you to get an MBA"

Part time MBA students are mostly administration workers or career switchers who want MBAs to advance to the next level, because they feel that they have a potential to do so and they mostly relay on their own resources.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 15:44
My company pays 75% of tuition with no payback or commitment - starting to look a lot better in this economy.

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 16:26
I am PT student at Kellogg and I personally don't worry much about Career Services. I think the choice between FT and PT depends on where one is at his/her career.

I can completely understand if one wants to go to IB/MC but at the age of 30 with a wife, I am not looking forward to putting in the kind of work that is associated with these professions. My goal is to attain a senior leadership position in the industry I am currently in and towards that goal, a PT MBA fits in nicely.

Kellogg allows PT students to have access to on campus recruiting after 10 courses provided that students don't have their education funded by their employers (conflict of interest). Students can still avail of their career prep services(job hunting advice, workshops,access to alumni databases etc) .

The great thing about a Kellogg MBA is the doors that it opens. I am in marketing and in the Chicagoland area there is a great possibility that my potential boss in any target company is a Kellogg grad. I have also been able to contact alums for business opportunities. Networking becomes extremely easy and once your foot is in the door it is upto you to make the most of it. My guess is most PT grads would not be interested in FT recruiting since most of them are at a Director/VP level by the time they graduate and an Associate level position or a rotation program would be resetting the clock.

One thing I have heard from Professors at both Kellogg and Chicago GSB is that part-timers add a lot more value to class discussions since they have day-to-day experiences to discuss. The downside is the applicants come from a fairly small geographical area so the applicant pool might not be as great as the FT program.

I agree with other posters that if I lived in a city without access to 2 great PT programs I would have gone for a FT option. Being in Chicago , the decision to go PT was quite easy.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2009, 16:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 

Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap