It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 18:03
rsrinivasan,

Do you have any advice on someone that would like to go PT to Kellogg while working, but is interested in moving to the Chicago area? I'm interested in a PT positions, simply because going fulltime is not a financial possibility. I have a competitive GMAT and background. Are there people/companies that would be interesting hiring someone they know is moving to Chicago to go to Kellogg (or Chicago GSB) PT? Kind of an odd question, but a possibility.

rsrinivasan wrote:
I am PT student at Kellogg and I personally don't worry much about Career Services. I think the choice between FT and PT depends on where one is at his/her career.

I can completely understand if one wants to go to IB/MC but at the age of 30 with a wife, I am not looking forward to putting in the kind of work that is associated with these professions. My goal is to attain a senior leadership position in the industry I am currently in and towards that goal, a PT MBA fits in nicely.

Kellogg allows PT students to have access to on campus recruiting after 10 courses provided that students don't have their education funded by their employers (conflict of interest). Students can still avail of their career prep services(job hunting advice, workshops,access to alumni databases etc) .

The great thing about a Kellogg MBA is the doors that it opens. I am in marketing and in the Chicagoland area there is a great possibility that my potential boss in any target company is a Kellogg grad. I have also been able to contact alums for business opportunities. Networking becomes extremely easy and once your foot is in the door it is upto you to make the most of it. My guess is most PT grads would not be interested in FT recruiting since most of them are at a Director/VP level by the time they graduate and an Associate level position or a rotation program would be resetting the clock.

One thing I have heard from Professors at both Kellogg and Chicago GSB is that part-timers add a lot more value to class discussions since they have day-to-day experiences to discuss. The downside is the applicants come from a fairly small geographical area so the applicant pool might not be as great as the FT program.

I agree with other posters that if I lived in a city without access to 2 great PT programs I would have gone for a FT option. Being in Chicago , the decision to go PT was quite easy.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 11:40
Hi jallenmorris

I know a few people who moved to Chicago just to attend school. But then I think they were able to convince their companies to transfer their positions to Chicago. I don't think you will have access to career services/ alumni before you actually start classes though.

My advice would be to just go ahead and apply to Kellogg and Chicago and maybe other schools like Stern and Haas. If you apply to start in Summer/Fall, you will have a good few months to look for a job. In the worst case, you will still have an admit and can push the start date by a quarter if you are not ready to move.

I would also let the school know your situation at the time of interviewing.I applied to Chicago and Kellogg and in both cases, I felt that the schools will help you if they can.

I would also look into Chicago's weekend program. I know that Chicago is extremely flexible with regards to classes students take( there are no restrictions with regards to what classes a student takes- a part-timer can take FT classes, weekend classes and vice versa). One possibility would be to start there on weekends and then move to Chicago once you have secured a job in the area and then take evening classes. The commute might be painful for a while but hopefully you can find a great job in area soon.

Thanks!

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 23

Schools: Booth

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:24
To revive this discussion, does anyone know anyone that has successfully leveraged a PT MBA at a top school like Chicago or Kellogg to jump to a top-tier management consulting firm?

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2010, 21:25
jbharris88 wrote:
To revive this discussion, does anyone know anyone that has successfully leveraged a PT MBA at a top school like Chicago or Kellogg to jump to a top-tier management consulting firm?

I know of a friend who finished a PT MBA at Michigan who landed a position at BCG.

RF

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:12
refurb wrote:
jbharris88 wrote:

I know of a friend who finished a PT MBA at Michigan who landed a position at BCG.

RF

What was this person doing before? You don't hear from too many people that attend Ross PT.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 14:05
Yes. I know people getting in top consulting firms with a PT degree. But number of such people is insignificant as compared to full timers at these firms...

George Jacobs
HTB Consultants, Affordable MBA Essay advice
mba.xpert at gmail dot com

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2012, 10:39
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted on this forum. I guess the two rejections letter that I received last year from Kellogg and LBS turned me off a little... Anyways I have since moved from California to Chicago for a new job and I am seriously considering going for a PT MBA. In previous posts on this thread people talked about part timers who went to MC firms. I am more interested in staying in the industry. So, I was wondering if anyone knows how companies with leadership rotational programs in general management such as Danaher or United Technologies view people with PT MBAs. Do they exclusively hire full timers? Do part timers stand a chance?
I know this thread is old but hopefully some of you are still around ;)

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2012, 12:03
bseb wrote:
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted on this forum. I guess the two rejections letter that I received last year from Kellogg and LBS turned me off a little... Anyways I have since moved from California to Chicago for a new job and I am seriously considering going for a PT MBA. In previous posts on this thread people talked about part timers who went to MC firms. I am more interested in staying in the industry. So, I was wondering if anyone knows how companies with leadership rotational programs in general management such as Danaher or United Technologies view people with PT MBAs. Do they exclusively hire full timers? Do part timers stand a chance?

Come join us at Booth! If staying within industry you shouldn't have any trouble getting interviews at firm's you are interested in. The only setback for PTers is the inability to use On-Campus Interviewing for internships. If you are seeking a job and not an internship then you have full access to On-Campus Recruiting. Further, if you look at the stats you will see that not everyone gets a job via these channels. Plenty of people do it on their own through networking, contacting companies, applying online, etc.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2012, 19:13
jb88 wrote:
bseb wrote:
Hi everyone!

Come join us at Booth! If staying within industry you shouldn't have any trouble getting interviews at firm's you are interested in. The only setback for PTers is the inability to use On-Campus Interviewing for internships. If you are seeking a job and not an internship then you have full access to On-Campus Recruiting. Further, if you look at the stats you will see that not everyone gets a job via these channels. Plenty of people do it on their own through networking, contacting companies, applying online, etc.

haha I will definitely look into Booth ;) I just want to make sure that the firms I'm interested in consider PT MBAs the same way as they consider FT MBAs...

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 12:13
I am in a unique situation... I live about three hours from Chicago (ridiculously crappy drive every weekend) however my employer will cover at least 75k of the tuition, perhaps all of it. I will have to sign on to stay two years post-mba, however I have a pretty good work history as it is and I'm sure I would get a promotion post-mba so assuming I ride that out for two years I would be free to change jobs. At this point, two years out, does my PT MBA from Booth still have cache in terms of the network/etc or is it going to be pretty similar to any other MBA considering my work experience will probably be the most important deal?

I am currently accepted with about a half scholorship to a top 20 (read, like #20) full-time program however I'm not sure if I want to go 100k in debt to do that full-time or if I would be just as good off to suck up the stupid drive and do the Booth MBA for 2-3 years, work two more years, and be a mid-career mid-level manager with a Booth MBA and the world as my oyster!? I realize, at this point, it's a lot harder to change job functions (i.e. get into consulting from general management). I'm a general manager in a F50 company.

Thanks!
Jeff

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 21:03
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 02:35
Part-time MBA programs usually allow the student to earn the degree in 2-6 years and offer a flexible schedule, as classes are held in evenings and weekends. The admission requirements are often similar to those in full-time programs. There are a large number of people whom, for one reason or another, are unwilling or unable to pay out the fees in advance of a full-time MBA course. For those, remaining in the workplace is the only viable option. A part-time MBA is a good way to lessen the cost of a quality MBA degree—by going part-time while keeping your day job. And if your employer is willing to pay for some or all of the cost of your tuition, you may end up with the best possible outcome—no student debt at all.
For more info on Part Time MBA programs, please visit: https://aringo.com/Part-Time-MBA-Programs/

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 15:11
Hi all,
I'm looking for advice on PT vs executive programs. I got accepted to Kelley School of Business for a part time program. However, my goal is to switch from technical side to consulting and I realize that it's going to be tough. That said, I'm curious to know if perhaps PT or executive MBA from one of top 5 universities would propel my career rather than Kelley. Any thoughts? The advantages Kelley has is its location(Indy), where I have a job & family and cost.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Part Time vs. Full Time MBA Career Opportunities   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 15:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ]