It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 07:57

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parts of a critical reasoning question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Parts of a critical reasoning question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 19:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hey,

I started to study for my GMAT exam some four weeks ago. Right from the start, critical reasoning questions were the easiest for me (is this usual?) and I am able to answer almost all of them correctly.

However, there is one exception. Everytime when there are two bold parts in the text and the question is about what the two parts represent, I am in problems. I don't really know and get what premises, arguments, evidences, conclusions, etc. are. Maybe it is a bit hard because I am not a native English tongue. Could someone please explain these words and their significance in the GMAT? Do you have any tips or advices about how to master these questions? Would help me a lot!

Thanks!

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 23

Parts of a critical reasoning question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 20:19
Flexxice wrote:
Hey,

I started to study for my GMAT exam some four weeks ago. Right from the start, critical reasoning questions were the easiest for me (is this usual?) and I am able to answer almost all of them correctly.

However, there is one exception. Everytime when there are two bold parts in the text and the question is about what the two parts represent, I am in problems. I don't really know and get what premises, arguments, evidences, conclusions, etc. are. Maybe it is a bit hard because I am not a native English tongue. Could someone please explain these words and their significance in the GMAT? Do you have any tips or advices about how to master these questions? Would help me a lot!

Thanks!

It is good that you are able to solve most of the CR questions. You have one less question type to worry about. But do not become complacent and make sure that you keep on practising the CR questions too. however I am amazed as to how you are able to get the other set of questions right without understanding the meaning of these terms :)

The bold face questions test your understanding of the various parts of a sentence. You need to identify the premise and conclusion to arrive at the correct answer and then see which option correctly represents the bold part.

For your perusal, below are the explanations of the various terms.

Premise: It can be a fact/statement from which a conclusion is made.
Evidences: Any evidences that are presented in order to support the statement or fact. For example any scientific experiment and its end results
Conclusion: This sums up the whole paragraph and tells you what is it all about. It is a statement that follows from one or more reasons

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Re: Parts of a critical reasoning question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 22:09
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Flexxice wrote:
Hey,

Thanks!

It is good that you are able to solve most of the CR questions. You have one less question type to worry about. But do not become complacent and make sure that you keep on practising the CR questions too. however I am amazed as to how you are able to get the other set of questions right without understanding the meaning of these terms :)

The bold face questions test your understanding of the various parts of a sentence. You need to identify the premise and conclusion to arrive at the correct answer and then see which option correctly represents the bold part.

For your perusal, below are the explanations of the various terms.

Premise: It can be a fact/statement from which a conclusion is made.
Evidences: Any evidences that are presented in order to support the statement or fact. For example any scientific experiment and its end results
Conclusion: This sums up the whole paragraph and tells you what is it all about. It is a statement that follows from one or more reasons

Thanks a lot for your answer! This makes it clearer, I will repeat some of these questions and see if I get it now.
Are there any other terms I need to know for this type of question?

If you ask me how I am able to get the other questions right, I cannot explain it haha. I'm just doing it with logic. From my point of view, there are almost always 2 to 3 answer choices which do not really make sense, are weak or do not really strengthen / weaken the argument. Then I just choose the best of the remaining options and mostly, I'm right :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 22:55
I have been through the same thing but was able to make some improvements by dissecting all the sentences in the BF question and then understand how are they tied to the main conclusion. If any BF line itself is a conclusion, then it makes our job a little easier.
The BF lines alone are not sufficient to answer the question.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 138

GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 10:32
atturhari wrote:
I have been through the same thing but was able to make some improvements by dissecting all the sentences in the BF question and then understand how are they tied to the main conclusion. If any BF line itself is a conclusion, then it makes our job a little easier.
The BF lines alone are not sufficient to answer the question.

The first 50 something question in the OG are easier than the final 50. Don't let this feeling deceive you. If you are feeling overconfident - which is quite dangerous - try to get 10, right on a roll from the 100 over. Or try the 700-Level Assumption Questions from the Club Test

Keep it up.

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 138

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 11:48
you need to understand the relationship between the two bold faces, one can be a conclusion/counter conclusion/finding/etc while other can be premise/fact/counter premise/etc. Make sure that you understand that how to parts are related to each other.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Parts of a critical reasoning question   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2017, 11:48

Parts of a critical reasoning question

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap