GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2010, 06:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:18) correct 53% (01:16) wrong based on 356 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see Medusa’s reflection and sneaked up behind her while she was still sleeping.

(A) stationery position to see Medusa’s reflection and sneaked up behind
(B) stationery position to see Medusa’s reflection and snuck up behind
(C) stationary position to see Medusa’s reflection and sneaked up behind
(D) stationary position to see Medusa’s reflection and snuck up behind
(E) stationary position and saw Medusa’s reflection to sneak up behind
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Re: Perseus' shield  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2010, 07:01
If You like my question You can give me KUDOS! Thanks a lot.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2010, 07:30
I wonder whether spelling mistakes are in the hotlist of GMAT. But considering that we need an adjective to quality the noun “position”, lets us go for the time being with the latter three. Let us also drop E for altering the intent.

Between D and E, except for the two forms of the past tense of the verb sneak, I am at a loss to pin-pont any significant difference. In this context, let me quote the usage note from thefreedictionary.com regarding the use of snuk an sneaked,

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sneaked

Usage Note: Snuck is an Americanism first introduced in the 19th century as a nonstandard regional variant of sneaked. Widespread use of snuck has become more common with every generation. It is now used by educated speakers in all regions. Formal written English is more conservative than other varieties, of course, and here snuck still meets with much resistance. Many writers and editors have a lingering unease about the form, particularly if they recall its nonstandard origins. And 67 percent of the Usage Panel disapproved of snuck in our 1988 survey. Nevertheless, an examination of recent sources shows that snuck is sneaking up on sneaked. Snuck was almost 20 percent more common in newspaper articles published in 1995 than it was in 1985. Snuck also appears in the work of many respected columnists and authors: "He ran up huge hotel bills and then snuck out without paying"(George Stade). "He had snuck away from camp with a cabinmate" (Anne Tyler). "I ducked down behind the paperbacks and snuck out" (Garrison Keillor).

Can somebody clarify further?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2010, 09:44
I'm with you, daagh - this may have been a fair GMAT question in the 1980s when it was overwhelmingly an American test competing with the GRE and its vocabulary emphasis, but the GMAT has evolved to a point at which this isn't a relevant question.

Stationary (standing still) vs. stationery (paper for writing)
and
Snuck vs. Sneaked

...just aren't relevant comparisons of pre-MBAs from around the world, many of whom have learned different dialects of English (British vs. American vs. Australian). The GMAT is interested in your problem solving skills and capacity to be efficient; this question doesn't give an opportunity to test either, instead focusing on (as daagh demonstrated) fairly obscure and even subjective knowledge of minor linguistic subtleties.

Please do worry about (eh, not worry about - focus on) big-picture error types like Verb Tense, Subject-Verb Agreement, etc. But even for those of us who have been speaking English for 30 years, the little idiomatic subtleties are hard to pin down, so they don't make for good pre-MBA differentiation and aren't going to be a great use of your study time.

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2014, 12:11
Please also note the pronouns her and she, both are missing the proper antecedents.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 02:55
I might have become blind after all the sentence correction I've done today, but it looks like A is equal to C and so do B and D: could a moderator correct it, please?

Give kudos if you found this post helpful :D

My GMAT history:
1st GMATPrep: 620 (Q46, V29)
2nd GMATPrep: 700(Q46, V40)
3rd GMATPrep: 720(Q49, V38)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 02:55

Perseus held his shield in a stationery position to see

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap