It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD in business - GMAT et al

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

PhD in business - GMAT et al [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 15:23
Hello!

I took the GMAT last week and scored 700 (Q49, V37, IR6). Although I am largely disappointed with the verbal score (I easily scored 40+ in practice tests, but timed the section awfully during the main deal), I wonder if I should spend more time and effort in retaking the GMAT, given the fact that 700 is respectable and within the +/- 50 range from the average score of top B schools.

I am working on applications for a PhD in business (Marketing). Post my MBA in 2009 (cgpa 3.95 from a reputed international university in Asia), I have worked for 4-5 years in the Product Management function of a the manufacturing sector.

My undergraduate degree was a B. Tech in Electronics engineering from India. I have worked in the Software industry for the first two years of my professional life.

As an MBA student, I worked on two interesting consulting projects which involved substantial research work, experiences which I hope will stand my PhD application in good stead. The first was as team member of an extensive university-industry collaboration consulting project, for a Finnish telecommunications company. The second was as an independent consultant (this was an Internship) for a Switzerland based logistics company. both projects involved conducting feasibility studies and formulating suitable market entry strategies for the companies.

In my 8 years of professional experience, I have worked and studied in Europe and Thailand, besides India in industries ranging from Public Relations to Water Technologies, apart from the ones already mentioned above.

I would like to enumerate my questions regarding my prospective application below, and sincerely hope you would help me out with some pointers:
1. Should I retake the GMAT?
2. How much should I harp on my varied professional experiences? Are they an advantage at all for a PhD application?
3. With regards to community service, I have taken part in activities related to environment and children's education. Will these experiences help make my application stronger?
4. Most schools have mentioned a "preference" for letters of recommendation from academics over industry persons. However, I think I will be able to manage only 60% of the letters from academics. Will this be a significant disadvantage? If so, I will try to reach out to more professors from my MBA times (does not help that I have not been in touch with most of them in the last 6 years)

Thank you for your consideration. Really appreciate your time!

Deka B

Posted from my mobile device

G

Kudos [?]: 8383 [0], given: 1131

Re: PhD in business - GMAT et al [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 01:41
1. Should I retake the GMAT?

No. Is good.Focus on the rest of your application to make it stronger

2. How much should I harp on my varied professional experiences? Are they an advantage at all for a PhD application?

No per se is not so much important. Because PhD is not work experience oriented but research oriented. i.e. whether you are good at as researcher and maybe as professor later. It is taken in account but not so much. However, it depends

3. With regards to community service, I have taken part in activities related to environment and children's education. Will these experiences help make my application stronger?

That's is well evaluated

4. Most schools have mentioned a "preference" for letters of recommendation from academics over industry persons. However, I think I will be able to manage only 60% of the letters from academics. Will this be a significant disadvantage? If so, I will try to reach out to more professors from my MBA times (does not help that I have not been in touch with most of them in the last 6 years)

No. it is fine as well

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 8383 [0], given: 1131

Intern
Intern

Re: PhD in business - GMAT et al [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2016, 20:09
Thanks for your tips - much appreciated!

Posted from my mobile device

Re: PhD in business - GMAT et al   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2016, 20:09