It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PLEASE HELP ! 570 (31Q, V 38)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

PLEASE HELP ! 570 (31Q, V 38) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2009, 19:03
I took the practice test from MBA.com cold and I scored a 570(31Q, V 38) I was very unpleasantly suprised at my quant score. Even though I'm not a math expert I am an economics major and I've had calculus classes and I'm currently in an upper level statistics course. I must reach a quant score of at least a 45. I'd like a higher score but I will take that. I was actually a bit shocked by my verbal score. I was expecting at least a 41; I missed a good deal of the SC questions. I'd really like a 710 but I'm fine with whatever a quant 45 and verbal 38+ would give me(What would that be?). I had serious trouble on the quant section with the data sufficiency questions(especially the geometry ds), the ratio questions, and a strange chart with about 40 numbers on it where I was asked to find the product of the entire chart. I have the manhattan math guide, and the OG 11 quant review. I would really appreciate some assistance!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 2

Re: PLEASE HELP ! 570 (31Q, V 38) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2009, 21:23
Unfortunately your Calculus knowledge is not relevant when it comes to the GMAT since the math section tests your knowledge in arithmetic, algebra, and geometry. To improve in SC get MGMAT SC Guide and practice with the OG and you should be good to go.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 12:50
Thanks, I'm not as worried about the SC. I think I'm just rusty because I haven't taken a language course in years. I'll practice and hopefully that will be enough. Although it's only one question what type of question is the chart with 1-7 and all there multiples that asks you for their product? I'm not sure if that's number properties or what. Also any specific reccomendations on the geometry questions? They seem to make up a very large percentage of the questions. I wasn't expecting that. Finally what's a good estimate of what a 45Q, 38 V overall score would be?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 16:32
I think you'll be ok. Q is a lot easier to improve than V is. For me, it was crucial to master the timing and make sure not to get stuck on any one question for too long in the Quant. Also, you mentioned problems in DS. Learn the technique cold for eliminating answer choices in DS (ie if statement I is not sufficient then eliminate AC, if statement I is sufficient eliminate BCE, etc.). That helped me a lot to zero in on and eliminate answers on DS. Other strategies like plugging in or solving backwards are helpful if you don't know how to tackle a problem. I turned to these if I wasn't able to quickly determine how to solve a problem. You're in a better position than a lot of people as V can be difficult to improve.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 21:40
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm going to get the Manhattan GMAT SC guide, number properties guide, and geometry guide. These are my weakest areas, if I can improve these I think I can reach a 700.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2009, 23:23
albyman32 wrote:
I think you'll be ok. Q is a lot easier to improve than V is. For me, it was crucial to master the timing and make sure not to get stuck on any one question for too long in the Quant. Also, you mentioned problems in DS. Learn the technique cold for eliminating answer choices in DS (ie if statement I is not sufficient then eliminate AC, if statement I is sufficient eliminate BCE, etc.). That helped me a lot to zero in on and eliminate answers on DS. Other strategies like plugging in or solving backwards are helpful if you don't know how to tackle a problem. I turned to these if I wasn't able to quickly determine how to solve a problem. You're in a better position than a lot of people as V can be difficult to improve.

very solid advice

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 02:44
jagan17j wrote:
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm going to get the Manhattan GMAT SC guide, number properties guide, and geometry guide. These are my weakest areas, if I can improve these I think I can reach a 700.

It is a solid plan, but if I were you, I would take all MGMAT math guides, not just Number properties and Geometry. You scored Q31 and it indicates that your math skills are either rusty or never developed.

This advice comes from someone who scored Q36 on first attempt, but after a months of preparation I took it again and scored 48. So it is viable, depending on your commitment and will, nothing else. You can score above level 45, which presently seems very distant dream for you, but beleive me - I will repeat an old and corny phrase - If I could do it, anyone can. But it is relly like that.

I was in the same boat, even made the same mistake ordering some of MGMAT math books instead entire package. But when I realized what have I done, I reordered the rest of the package doubling my delievery costs. I was distracted by stupid and lousy headline of one of the books - Word Translations. I haven't realized that behind that headline lies the most valuable material for GMAT preparation (combinatorics, motion problems, mixture problems and stuff). Anyway, who cares about costs - final outcome is the only thing that counts and I'm sure you will have excellent outcome if you invest required level of time and energy in preparation.

Oh yes, and the final piece of advice: practice your verbal further, even though it is on the desired level. Never concentrate on one part of the exam neglecting the other. You have to keep or even improve your V score while building your math fundamentals.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 728 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 03:38
jagan17j wrote:
I took the practice test from MBA.com cold and I scored a 570(31Q, V 38) I was very unpleasantly suprised at my quant score. Even though I'm not a math expert I am an economics major and I've had calculus classes and I'm currently in an upper level statistics course. I must reach a quant score of at least a 45. I'd like a higher score but I will take that. I was actually a bit shocked by my verbal score. I was expecting at least a 41; I missed a good deal of the SC questions. I'd really like a 710 but I'm fine with whatever a quant 45 and verbal 38+ would give me(What would that be?). I had serious trouble on the quant section with the data sufficiency questions(especially the geometry ds), the ratio questions, and a strange chart with about 40 numbers on it where I was asked to find the product of the entire chart. I have the manhattan math guide, and the OG 11 quant review. I would really appreciate some assistance!

Seriously, your calculus course is not much of use for GMAT.

You must always remember that the GMAT questions are designed in such a way that, you almost always don't have to involve yourself into long and intricate calculations. So, always be in the look-out for the short cuts or traps in the question. I am sure there was something on that chart question that you missed to see (I won't say it is always easy to find the traps).

Geometry questions require your basics to be rock solid. Get hold of a high-school geometry book and get all your geometry basics right. You have to memorize all the properties of triangles, circles, parallelograms etc.

You need to practice your math harder if you aim to score higher. Have you started maintained an error log ? If you have not, then consider maintaining one ...... You need to have the Orange OG as well ... And get hold of walker's timer, you can find it here GMAT TIMER ....

And relax, this is just your practice test and not the real one. You still have time to improve. Just remember to work hard :)

albyman32 is right .. It is far easier to improve on quants than it is on verbal ..

Learn all the tricks (back solving, process of elimination etc....) , but they can only help you in guessing your answer so they are to be used when you are completely clueless about the question .... Nothing beats knowing the concept by heart and knowing how to approach problems, that comes only by practice ...

Finally, participate actively on these forums ... You can learn so much from people here ...

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 728 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 18:27
Thanks for all of your responses; I will definitely take everything you guys said to heart. In terms of the math I will definitely admit that I don't have all of the geometry rules memorized like I should (I cannot remember those arc degree rules or parallelogram trapezoid rules for anything). The only number property stuff I really know is how to factor and I know what prime numbers are but that's about it. Thanks again, I'll buy that Manhattan math GMAT series (the whole thing) and get to work. I'll pick up that sc guide too. One last thing, do you think it's bad to mainly practice with the cats? From what I've seen the OG quant and OG orange quant questions are not representative of the difficulty beyond the first 2-3 problems of the CAT.

Last edited by jagan17j on 30 Jan 2009, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Forum Moderator

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2009, 04:56
If you reach some 45+ math level (and I'm sure you will) you could buy one little electronic book from an Indian company called "4gmat". They have entire prep package, as Manhattan have, but I have discovered them late so I had no time to purchase and go through entire material. Nevertheless, I bought that electronic book with focus on advanced (very advanced, indeed) number properties and inequalities and I loved it.

It contains some extremly usefull Number Properties concepts that are tested on GMAT recently and that can't be found in any other books. The best part is its price - costs only $7. Anyway, that is some 13-14 raw score points away from your present level. Untill then, you have MGmAT, an excellent prep package to reach level 45.

I wish you best luck.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: PLEASE HELP ! 570 (31Q, V 38)   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2009, 04:56

PLEASE HELP ! 570 (31Q, V 38)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap