It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 17:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please help! Another masters before MBA to help offset undergrad gpa?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Please help! Another masters before MBA to help offset undergrad gpa? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 15:52
Question regarding possible future MBA.

I’m 26, engineer, poor undergrad GPA (2.9). Dream is to go to a certain MBA program full time in 4 to 5 years. This MBA program sometime breaks top 10 but is consistently at least top 15, and has a “partnership” with my undergrad school. Part of that partnership is that my target MBA program “understands” the uniqueness of my undergrad school and looks at it with special consideration in regards to GPA, etc…. but I don’t know how much weight that holds in reality. I only have a few months doing engineering since right after undergrad I went into the military for 2.5 years. I realize my undergrad GPA is a big red flag for said school (and others I’d be interested in). I’m currently doing everything I can to kick ass as an engineer and will be the sole structural engineer for my company with 1.5 years.

I’m wondering if it would be unintelligent to get a grad school degree in engineering on my company’s dime at my target MBA school. So start a Masters in engineering this spring, at my target MBA school. Can take classes to show my aptitude, then apply if not initially accepted. Finish 2.5-3 years later. Then, within a year or two, attend an MBA full time. I’m not interested in part time programs. Would MBA admissions look down on that Masters and say, “why get a masters if you’re just going straight to an MBA after?”. I also have already been accepted to another Masters of engineering program that would only take 2 years to finish, but is not at a well-known state school (although not a bad school at all), and I don’t believe would help sway MBA admissions as much or help in my career as much.

My reasoning is for getting this initial Masters is: 1. Help offset undergrad gpa, along with a strong gmat. 2. Go to my target MBA school for it, that way I’ll already have one degree from there, and it will help with admissions. 3. If I don’t get into any good MBA schools, atleast I’ll have a Masters in Engineering which can only help my career.

Is my reasoning legitimate, or would admissions look at this as a negative?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Please help! Another masters before MBA to help offset undergrad gpa? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 00:01
LeeS14 wrote:

I’m 26, engineer, poor undergrad GPA (2.9). Dream is to go to a certain MBA program full time in 4 to 5 years. This MBA program sometime breaks top 10 but is consistently at least top 15, and has a “partnership” with my undergrad school. Part of that partnership is that my target MBA program “understands” the uniqueness of my undergrad school and looks at it with special consideration in regards to GPA, etc…. but I don’t know how much weight that holds in reality. I only have a few months doing engineering since right after undergrad I went into the military for 2.5 years. I realize my undergrad GPA is a big red flag for said school (and others I’d be interested in). I’m currently doing everything I can to kick ass as an engineer and will be the sole structural engineer for my company with 1.5 years.

I’m wondering if it would be unintelligent to get a grad school degree in engineering on my company’s dime at my target MBA school. So start a Masters in engineering this spring, at my target MBA school. Can take classes to show my aptitude, then apply if not initially accepted. Finish 2.5-3 years later. Then, within a year or two, attend an MBA full time. I’m not interested in part time programs. Would MBA admissions look down on that Masters and say, “why get a masters if you’re just going straight to an MBA after?”. I also have already been accepted to another Masters of engineering program that would only take 2 years to finish, but is not at a well-known state school (although not a bad school at all), and I don’t believe would help sway MBA admissions as much or help in my career as much.

My reasoning is for getting this initial Masters is: 1. Help offset undergrad gpa, along with a strong gmat. 2. Go to my target MBA school for it, that way I’ll already have one degree from there, and it will help with admissions. 3. If I don’t get into any good MBA schools, atleast I’ll have a Masters in Engineering which can only help my career.

This is a very unusual way to do it, so I am not sure I would recommend it. There are plenty of applicants who have a less than desirable GPA and the most common and effective way to make up for that is definitely to get a very impressive GMAT score. So I am not sure the adcom would understand why you complicated matters unnecessarily by getting another degree. (That is unless there is a very specific reason for you wanting that second degree in terms of where it will get you after your MBA or something)

Therefore, my recommendation for you would be to focus on your career and achieve something impressive at work as well as ace the GMAT. I think that will definitely help you more than another master's degree.

JL

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Please help! Another masters before MBA to help offset undergrad gpa? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 23:27
Hi LeeS14,

Agree. Taking the path through Master’s degree is far from ideal. Score high on GMAT and do well professionally to put up a strong application.

Quote:
If I don’t get into any good MBA schools, atleast I’ll have a Masters in Engineering which can only help my career.

If you need a Master’s degree to boost your career in the short term, then it’s a different thing. Otherwise, few years down the line, your skills and past performance at work will determine where you go. Not the Master’s degree.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 02:14
LeeS14 wrote:

I will add to the posts above - if you are trying to improve your quantitative scores through the MS. you can also opt for courses (stats, calculus, micro economics) at an college extension program. And as you have nailed it already- get a hiiiigh GMAT score

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 51

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 969 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 00:07
LeeS14 wrote:

That's an extremely expensive and long way to do it, and actually it STILL doesn't improve your GPA. Better, would be to invest (less) time and money into kicking ass on the GMAT!

Hope this helps,
Best,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 969 [0], given: 48

Re: Please help! Another masters before MBA to help offset undergrad gpa?   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 00:07

Please help! Another masters before MBA to help offset undergrad gpa?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap