GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please help me with rc questions I can not choose between last 2 optio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Please help me with rc questions I can not choose between last 2 optio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 10:33
Please help me with rc questions
I can not choose between last 2 options in the answer choices
Manager
Manager
G
Re: Please help me with rc questions I can not choose between last 2 optio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 17:35
mangamma wrote:

Hello, mangamma. Once you have narrowed down the answer choices to a 50/50, you want to go against your initial thought process, perhaps, and look not for which answer seems better, but for which one is easier to argue against. Get rid of that one and choose the other. Sometimes it is just a word that throws off the answer that had seemed more likely. Less obvious caution signs are definitive language--e.g., must, can or cannot, always--often used in overreaching answers (versus words such as could, may, or some[times]) or overly detailed answers to questions that demand a broader approach (e.g., main idea or primary purpose types of questions). Always keep an eye on what the question is asking, and again, weigh up the cons of each answer choice to determine which response loses out. I practice what I preach, too. In an effort to show a student of mine why timing each RC question is a bad idea, rather than focusing on timing per passage or cluster of questions, I recently went through a practice set of official RC questions through Wiley that I had never laid eyes on. To be honest, some of my timing was not the best, but on the whole, I made my point: I got every single Hard question right, and my average time per question was 2:02, nothing that would worry me when my average time per Hard SC question, stretching back several months through this site, is a minute shorter, at 1:02, with a single error. Here are those RC results:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fDCDpVP7hTfKQ6JP6bDI4EhmISH4GaBmUuz7bwXRp00/edit?usp=sharing

A few years ago, when I started helping clients prepare for the GMAT™, I took it upon myself to break down exactly why I was missing any question on the whole test, and with RC, what I have outlined above is exactly what allowed me to go from decent to quite strong at arriving at the correct response, even to more nuanced questions.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, or if you wish to discuss specifics, feel free to reach out.

- Andrew
Director
Director
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Please help me with rc questions I can not choose between last 2 optio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 11:29
MentorTutoring wrote:
mangamma wrote:

Hello, mangamma. Once you have narrowed down the answer choices to a 50/50, you want to go against your initial thought process, perhaps, and look not for which answer seems better, but for which one is easier to argue against. Get rid of that one and choose the other. Sometimes it is just a word that throws off the answer that had seemed more likely. Less obvious caution signs are definitive language--e.g., must, can or cannot, always--often used in overreaching answers (versus words such as could, may, or some[times]) or overly detailed answers to questions that demand a broader approach (e.g., main idea or primary purpose types of questions). Always keep an eye on what the question is asking, and again, weigh up the cons of each answer choice to determine which response loses out. I practice what I preach, too. In an effort to show a student of mine why timing each RC question is a bad idea, rather than focusing on timing per passage or cluster of questions, I recently went through a practice set of official RC questions through Wiley that I had never laid eyes on. To be honest, some of my timing was not the best, but on the whole, I made my point: I got every single Hard question right, and my average time per question was 2:02, nothing that would worry me when my average time per Hard SC question, stretching back several months through this site, is a minute shorter, at 1:02, with a single error. Here are those RC results:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fDCDpVP7hTfKQ6JP6bDI4EhmISH4GaBmUuz7bwXRp00/edit?usp=sharing

A few years ago, when I started helping clients prepare for the GMAT™, I took it upon myself to break down exactly why I was missing any question on the whole test, and with RC, what I have outlined above is exactly what allowed me to go from decent to quite strong at arriving at the correct response, even to more nuanced questions.

I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, or if you wish to discuss specifics, feel free to reach out.

- Andrew

Thank you Andrew.I am practicing more questions. I will reachout to you if I dont improve
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 17:08
mangamma wrote:
Thank you Andrew.I am practicing more questions. I will reachout to you if I dont improve

Sure. And all that that can entail is writing out another question or two right here, in the forum, so that anyone else can read our dialogue and choose to participate (or not). Good luck to you in your practice. Take more time now to arrive at the correct lines of reasoning. Efficiency can come later, with additional practice.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help me with rc questions I can not choose between last 2 optio   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2019, 17:08

Please help me with rc questions I can not choose between last 2 optio

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep