Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Please provide a general assessment of my current situation [#permalink]
My two cents (probably worth less than that in reality)

1. Work Experience - I think you need to get back into a normal pre-MBA level job as soon as you can find one. Two years of work experience is on the low end. If you start another job soon, you'll have 3.5 years by the time you start and that will be much more in the normal work experience range at top 20 schools (which is what I think you should be shooting for). Also, your application will benefit far more from you being fully employed when you turn it in that it will from additional GMAT points and slightly better essays. Everyone else does those things while holding down a job, and you can too.

2. GPA - It's fine. Won't be a huge deal at top 20-ish schools considering you had a quantitative major and a good score on the GMAT's quant section.

3. GMAT - Your score is already in range for the schools you want to apply to, and you probably shouldn't think about your app in terms of earning a higher GMAT score to make up for your GPA or limited work experience. What part of the verbal section is giving you problems? If it is sentence correction, it might be worth it to really focus on memorizing all those rules and trying to earn some extra points. I think it is much more difficult to improve the other sections, but others may disagree.

In summary, the best thing you can do right now is get back working full time in the kind of role you see yourself in long term. Don't worry too much about GPA/GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: UVA, Dartmouth
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Other
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
My big thing would focus on your WE, but there are other red flags.

Below-average WE with spot-on score-of-death on the GMAT for Elite & Ultra Elite schools & you quit your job to focus on your B-School search as opposed to sacking up & doing it while holding down a job like most others in the pool. You're not currently working toward your post-MBA goals in any meaningful way either. Add the weak GPA, and I'd be surprised at most of the schools you listed.

I'd ask yourself the following: What's motivating you? What's the narrative arc of your application? And how do you sell a skeptical adcom in a ridiculously selective environment that you stand out in any meaningful way?

Sorry to be harsh, just a 'view.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
unfortunately, I have to agree with most on this post.

last cycle, I was working but was getting ready to quit and looking for an escape - and that was obvious in my apps and my interviews. i received interviews at outstanding schools but didn't get accepted anywhere (didn't even get waitlisted).

this year, i went and found that one year job and tied it all into my goals and found some other interesting other things that really strengthened my profile, direction, etc. i got into multiple schools including one I was denied from a year ago after interview.

I don't care what anyone says, not having a meaningful, current job is super-crippling and anyone who says otherwise is likely an adcom looking for your $200-$250 app fee or a consultant looking for much more than that.

this isn't always true, but i like the idea of the phrase you don't get into business schools when you desperately need to go, you get in when you don't need to go (i.e. you have a great job/situation or backup plan). right now, it sounds like you need business school to bail you out. find some great work and a direction, and you will get in and have options.

that's where I am a year later, hopefully for you it will be the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
1.) Your GPA will be an obstacle at any top 10 school. Especially with a GMAT score below the mean.

2.) You need to start working again asap. If you remain unemployed much longer, you're going to need to explain "why". And the truth behind that answer will be tough to swallow for the adcom.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Definitely agree with all the comments here. To add something from my experience, I had a 710 gmat and was successful. I think you should invest your time in getting back into the corporate world. Also, on a positive note, don't let Fortune 500 applicants intimidate you. I've only worked for small businesses - my current firm is only 8 people! I focused on what I've learned through this experience in terms of a wide range of skills and agility. It seems like you're well aware of your diverse skill sets as well.

One possibility to fill your time while you job search, have you thought about starting a company? Doesn't have to be big or successful. I had quit my first job out of frustration and incorporated my freelancing hobby into a business to explain a 5 month gap in work experience. I hardly made any money but that wasn't the point. I could speak about "entrepreneurial" endeavors in my essays and interviews. And guess it worked :)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
These are some great advice and insights. Much thanks again to everyone who gave their input.
GMAT Club Bot