GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please rate my Essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.95
Please rate my Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 10:28
The following appeared as part of an article in a daily newspaper:
“The computerized onboard warning system that will be installed in commercial airliners will virtually solve the problem of
midair plane collisions. One plane’s warning system can receive signals from another’s transponder—a radio set that
signals a plane’s course—in order to determine the likelihood of a collision and recommend evasive action.”
Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

The author of a newspaper article concludes that the computer onboard warning system that will be installed in commercial airliners will solve the problem of midair plane collisions. The author reasons that one plane's warning system will receive the signals from another's transponder and if a collision is likely, the warning system will recommend evasive action. Although the argument seems well reasoned at first glance, it makes few weak assumptions.

Firstly, The author assumes that the commercial airliners are representative of the entire air traffic at a given instance. For Example, The number of commercial aircrafts may be negligible when compared to the number of fighter and cargo planes. In that case, the security measures adopted only for the commercial aircrafts may proveto be ineffective.

Secondly, The author assumes that the recommendations made by the warning system in case of an emergency will be efficiently followed by the pilot in order to avert the collision. There may be a case when a pilot may feel lazy to follow the instructions or he may act according to his instincts. In that case, the likelihood of the collision will not be reduced.

In conclusion, The argument is unconvincing. To strengthen the argument, The author must show that the majority of the air traffic is due to commerical airliners so that if the warning system is adopted by them, it will prove to be effective. Also, The author must show that there is a high likelihood that the pilots will follow the instructions of the warning system.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Please rate my Essay  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 07:46
The following appeared as part of an article in a daily newspaper:
“The computerized onboard warning system that will be installed in commercial airliners will virtually solve the problem of
midair plane collisions. One plane’s warning system can receive signals from another’s transponder—a radio set that
signals a plane’s course—in order to determine the likelihood of a collision and recommend evasive action.”
Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

i need to spend 10 minutes to brainstorm 2 assumptions.

assumption 1. Midair collision can be solved by this system. collision is caused by bad signal transfer.
assumption 2. pilot are good at using this system. if pilot can not, argument fall apart
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please rate my Essay &nbs [#permalink] 22 Mar 2018, 07:46

Please rate my Essay

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap