Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [39]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [11]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.05
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment of those [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO B.
Many people believe punishment should be mitigated based on intention and author believes judge should not take intention into consideration since it could be falsely presented. Hence to support this argument we need an option which covers the reasoning behind no consideration of intention for punishment.
Only b supports the argument , hence it is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [4]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment of those [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Logical connection that I made:

Political theorist says:
- People committing terrible crimes for a good cause deserve less severe punishment.
- Judges should not reduce punishment on basis of the reason for committing the crime
- Sometimes, reasons can be twisted in the criminal's favor.

To strengthen conclusion, we need a statement that agrees with/says: since reasons/motives can be misrepresented, it is better to not lessen the punishment.

Only (B) fits the bill.

(D) and (E) talk about enforcing or adopting a law/law system, which is not the primary concern here. Chuck these.

(A) talks about crimes based on state of mind, while argument talks about crimes based on good cause/motive. Eliminate.

(C) talks about permitting actions, argument talks about passing judgement on the criminal who committed the actions. Eliminate.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [3]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment of those [#permalink]
Kudos
Gladiator59 wrote:
Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment of those who commit even the most heinous crimes should be mitigated to some extent if the crime was motivated by a sincere desire to achieve some larger good. Granted, some criminals with admirable motives deserve mitigated punishments. Nonetheless, judges should never mitigate punishment on the basis of motives, since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic.

Which one of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify the political theorist’s reasoning?

(A) Laws that prohibit or permit actions solely on the basis of psychological states should not be part of a legal system.
(B) It is better to err on the side of overly severe punishment than to err on the side of overly lenient punishment.
(C) The legal permissibility of actions should depend on the perceivable consequences of those actions.
(D) No law that cannot be enforced should be enacted.
(E) A legal system that, if adopted, would have disastrous consequences ought not be adopted.

The key information in the argument is that motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic.

Here is an example of vicious motive that can easily be presented as altruistic and vice versa

For example take example of Robin Hood - who stole from the rich and gave to the poor (MOTIVE - to help the poor)

Another Robin Hood could act like this - steal from the rich and give to the poor (MOTIVE - to help the poor and help himself :lol: )

So for a judge to reveal the true motive of a perpetrator would be hard to identify, because such action may lead to erroneous judgement - hence it is much better to avoid mitigation of blame based on motives.

Based on the reasoning above, it is better to err on the side of overly severe punishment than to err on the side of overly lenient punishment.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [3]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment of those [#permalink]
Kudos
AndrewN wrote:
Shrey08 wrote:
I went for option E. Here's my reasoning:

Since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic, it becomes difficult to judge whether the criminals have admirable motives. If a bad motive can be successfully presented as altruistic then it can be problematic.

So the political theorist is saying that if a law can not be enforced because it could have bad outcomes sometimes, means it should not be enforced at all. That's what option E says.

VeritasKarishma AndrewN can you please comment where am I going wrong ?

Hello, Shrey08. Pardon the delay in my response. Believe it or not, when your request came through, I was preparing for a 5K race. (I am sore today, but injury free, so I am pleased.) In the interest of helping you and the larger community, I will provide a full analysis of the question.

Gladiator59 wrote:
Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment of those who commit even the most heinous crimes should be mitigated to some extent if the crime was motivated by a sincere desire to achieve some larger good. Granted, some criminals with admirable motives deserve mitigated punishments. Nonetheless, judges should never mitigate punishment on the basis of motives, since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic.

Which one of the following principles, if valid, most helps to justify the political theorist’s reasoning?

Notice, first, that this is from the LSAT. In general, I discourage practicing LSAT questions if you intend to train for the GMAT™. Logical Reasoning and Critical Reasoning questions are similar in many regards, but there are enough subtle differences to make the former more trouble than they are worth to the GMAT™ aspirant, at least in my view. That said, I do enjoy these questions on a personal level: I like to embrace challenges. And it feels rewarding when you answer a question correctly that hovers around 20 percent accuracy. Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Notice that the passage, from start to finish, hinges on this word mitigate. If you know the word or can gather from the context that it means to lessen the severity of, then you should be in good shape. You just have to make sure you follow the political theorist's reasoning to the T, or it is easy to get sidetracked. Examine that last line of the passage again. It follows a basic conclusion/premise format:

Quote:
Nonetheless, judges should never mitigate punishment on the basis of motives, since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic.

We should be looking for an answer, then, that speaks to this conclusion.

Quote:
(A) Laws that prohibit or permit actions solely on the basis of psychological states should not be part of a legal system.

Although the political theorist might agree with this statement, nowhere does the passage focus on psychological states forming the sole basis of laws. If you have practiced CR before, you should know to watch out for overreaching or extreme language, and this is a case in point.

Quote:
(B) It is better to err on the side of overly severe punishment than to err on the side of overly lenient punishment.

This answer choice is more or less a recap of the last two lines of the passage. We cannot ignore the fact that the political theorist acknowledges that some criminals deserve better:

Quote:
Granted, some criminals with admirable motives deserve mitigated punishments.

But at the same time, we cannot ignore the conclusion, which starts with an even so or despite that transition. Putting everything together, we can get behind an answer choice that says that even though some criminals deserve less severe punishments, the motives of the criminals should not be considered at all to determine whether to reduce the severity of a punishment. In balance, the principle of not considering motives to reduce sentences outweighs the justice that some criminals deserve, so this answer choice is hard to argue against. Leave it alone.

Quote:
(C) The legal permissibility of actions should depend on the perceivable consequences of those actions.

I spent the longest time pondering this option, and it looks as if I am not alone: this is the most popular selection, according to the timer data. But perceivable consequences in particular turned me off. That sounds somewhat arbitrary, as though the consequences could be perceived differently from person to person. And this line of thought, in turn, plays into the motives of criminals, the very angle the argument seeks not to take. If you straighten out the two halves of the answer choice, you get,

The perceivable consequences of actions should determine the legal permissibility of those actions.

That does not sound like the argument made at the end of the passage, not by a long shot. If you were unsure at this point, you could let this answer choice be, but under scrutiny, it does not hold up and should ultimately be adandoned.

Quote:

Notice the absolute language again: no law. Then, we get this notion of enforcement when the passage places mitigation (of punishment) front and center. This is about as disconnected from the argument as we could get, and we should be grateful for an easy elimination.

Quote:
(E) A legal system that, if adopted, would have disastrous consequences ought not be adopted.

Since you chose this option, I feel first that I need to address the associative line of reasoning you took above:

Quote:
So the political theorist is saying that if a law can not be enforced because it could have bad outcomes sometimes, means it should not be enforced at all. That's what option E says.

I hope you can appreciate from my treatment of (D) why I would disagree that the political theorist makes a comment on the enforceability of the law. In my view, the theorist is disputing the claim from the opening line of the passage, nothing more. In short, many people believe that the punishment [of criminals] should be mitigated based on whether the motives of the criminals were sincere and good. Keep it simple.

Getting back to this answer choice, a projection into the future has no relation to the passage: disastrous consequences is pure conjecture. We have no idea what could happen if judges started taking into account the motives of criminals. All we know is that the political activist opposes the notion. All things considered, we cannot get behind this answer choice.

Again, stick strictly to what the passage says, and you will be much more likely to walk away with the correct answer, whether you are practicing CR questions or their trickier LR cousins. I hope my analysis proves useful as you continue your studies. Good luck.

- Andrew

It's been a long time Andrew and as usual i would start with a big thank.
I'm one of those 7% who chose E.
Quote:

Never in my dream i could imagine that "disastrous consequences" can be used as a synonym to motive. :)
Even though i broke the passage quite correctly(only post analysis) but it seems that was not enough because i missed the crux while marking the answer.
I knew that Political theorist's approach was balance as can be seen from keywords 'granted' and 'nonetheless' but fell for two reasons to mark a wrong answer - one that i paid hardly any attention to B for it looked frivolous(no bigger a mistake i could have made for such a reasoning) and two that i found 'legal system' good enough parameter, however, not understanding the whole of E for it was used in future context which was more or less debatable.

More sad because C, I found, is actually going against the requirement. The reason i say so because 'perceivable consequences' is again something similar(more straight than) to future 'disastrous consequences'. Arghh...!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shrey08 wrote:

Since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic, it becomes difficult to judge whether the criminals have admirable motives. If a bad motive can be successfully presented as altruistic then it can be problematic.

Whether a law is fair every time or not has nothing to do with enforcement.

What is enforcement?
Say a law is enacted that anyone on a two wheeler must wear a helmet.
How will it be enforced?
If someone doesn't wear, then they will be fined.
But what if we don't have enough traffic policemen to enforce it? What if that makes people flout the law regularly? Then it means we are unable to enforce the law.

Now look at the argument:
Political theorist: Many people believe that the punishment should be reduced if the crime was motivated by a sincere desire to achieve some larger good.
Some criminals with admirable motives deserve mitigated punishments.
But, judges should never mitigate punishment on the basis of motives, since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic.

The author says that she agrees that some criminals with good motives should be given reduced punishment but since motives cannot be fully known, bad motives can be presented as good and then some criminals with bad motives will also get reduced punishment. So no one should be given reduced punishment based on motive.

Which principle should be valid then?

"Solely on the basis of psychological states" is not discussed.

This is what the author is taking as her principle. Since some people deserving severe punishment could get lenient one if motives are taken into account, she refuses to take motives into account even though it will mean more severe punishment for some who do not deserve it (she agrees that some people do deserve lenient punishment based on motives)

This says that only perceivable consequences of actions should be considered, not motives.

The problem is not that the law cannot be enforced. The problem is that the law could be hoodwinked and then the ones deserving severe punishment could get away with less.

There are no disastrous consequences. The problem is that if a legal system could end up showing leniency to undeserving people, then such a system should not be adopted.

Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 478
Schools: IMD '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 2.84
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
nightblade354 please shed some light on this question.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arpitkansal, I do not have time to break this down, so please this discussion: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... -t427.html

If you have further questions, I can try to post something later.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
unraveled wrote:
Quote:

Never in my dream i could imagine that "disastrous consequences" can be used as a synonym to motive. :)
Even though i broke the passage quite correctly(only post analysis) but it seems that was not enough because i missed the crux while marking the answer.
I knew that Political theorist's approach was balance as can be seen from keywords 'granted' and 'nonetheless' but fell for two reasons to mark a wrong answer - one that i paid hardly any attention to B for it looked frivolous(no bigger a mistake i could have made for such a reasoning) and two that i found 'legal system' good enough parameter, however, not understanding the whole of E for it was used in future context which was more or less debatable.

More sad because C, I found, is actually going against the requirement. The reason i say so because 'perceivable consequences' is again something similar(more straight than) to future 'disastrous consequences'. Arghh...!!

Hello, unraveled. Yes, it has been some time. These LSAT questions can be especially tricky, so there is no shame in missing one that is rated 95 percent on a dedicated GMAT™ forum. I think sometimes people make the types of mistakes you outlined—going through the passage without really grasping it or following the keywords, or selecting the type of answer that most test-takers can see through—because they pay too much attention to the clock. You (the general you) think you just need to get it at a certain point or cut your losses, but that is only true of the actual exam itself, and you will not see this question on the test anyway. This one splits hairs in a way that is somewhat different from even a Hard GMAT™ CR question. But it can be useful for training. Just remember to put accuracy first, to see if you can get to the heart of the matter and lay it bare. Speed—efficiency—can come later, once you have gained an understanding of how to approach such questions and see through traps. I have read through some of your analyses of difficult CR questions (I believe the alligator sighting question was one of them), so I know you can see through some of them. Just take notes on this one, revisit it once in a while, and see if the next time you lay eyes on a similar question, you can arrive at the correct response. Turn a sinking feeling into a towering triumph, just as you know you can.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
C if the punishment is made mitigate then punishment shod b acceptable in order to make less severe so conjecture will b based upon perceivable consequences those action

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Imo C

Prethink: If the consequences of crime committed are too bad and outweigh the good motives for that crime

(A) Laws that prohibit or permit actions solely on the basis of psychological states should not be part of a legal system.-+-irrelevant
(B) It is better to err on the side of overly severe punishment than to err on the side of overly lenient punishment.--irrelevant
(C) The legal permissibility of actions should depend on the perceivable consequences of those actions.-correct
(D) No law that cannot be enforced should be enacted.---coorect
(E) A legal system that, if adopted, would have disastrous consequences ought not be adopted--correct

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I struggled a lot here and got this wrong with A.
However, I think I have grasped the logic. and thought of sharing it here.

Premise: (Per political theorist) Many people believe that the punishment of those who commit even the most heinous crimes should be mitigated to some extent if the crime was motivated by a sincere desire to achieve some larger good.
Premise: Granted, some criminals with admirable motives deserve mitigated punishments.
Conclusion: Nonetheless, judges should never mitigate punishment on the basis of motives,
Reasoning behind conclusion: since motives are essentially a matter of conjecture and even vicious motives can easily be presented as altruistic.

Although its similar to strengthen type questions on GMAT, there is difference in Justifying a stand or position (you should make it correct) and strengthening a conclusion (find a support/strengthener).

==> Although this is correct, this overly generalizes the position/conclusion. Eliminate this choice.

==> Conclusion is making extreme thing (never) and hence prone to be erroneous in at least some cases, hence this is close to conclusion. Let's keep it for now.

==> No, in fact conclusion says, motives/objectives no matter how good are, should be ignored. (option is saying something like: Judges should punish someone if he/she fails to achieve a good motive/objective by committing a crime and should NOT punish person who commits same crime but achieves a good motive/objective.) Eliminate this choice.

==> No conclusion or premise talks about possibility/probability of enforcing/implementing a law. Totally out of scope.Eliminate this choice.

==> Again similar to option D. Argument does NOT talk about new legal system or probability of outcome of its implementation.Totally out of scope.
Eliminate this choice.

Since we successfully eliminated possible wrong options and are now left with only one option that should be our final answer. No matter, how much we (dis)like it or (mis)understood it.
Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
kittle wrote:
Is this question GMAT level?

'Justify' questions don't appear on GMAT, 'STRENGTHEN' questions do.
But Yes, level of LSAT questions is equivalent to that of GMAT questions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
unraveled wrote:
Quote:

Hello, unraveled. Yes, it has been some time. These LSAT questions can be especially tricky, so there is no shame in missing one that is rated 95 percent on a dedicated GMAT™ forum. I think sometimes people make the types of mistakes you outlined—going through the passage without really grasping it or following the keywords, or selecting the type of answer that most test-takers can see through—because they pay too much attention to the clock. You (the general you) think you just need to get it at a certain point or cut your losses, but that is only true of the actual exam itself, and you will not see this question on the test anyway. This one splits hairs in a way that is somewhat different from even a Hard GMAT™ CR question. But it can be useful for training. Just remember to put accuracy first, to see if you can get to the heart of the matter and lay it bare. Speed—efficiency—can come later, once you have gained an understanding of how to approach such questions and see through traps. I have read through some of your analyses of difficult CR questions (I believe the alligator sighting question was one of them), so I know you can see through some of them. Just take notes on this one, revisit it once in a while, and see if the next time you lay eyes on a similar question, you can arrive at the correct response. Turn a sinking feeling into a towering triumph, just as you know you can.

- Andrew

I have been working on accuracy but even after taking a little more than 3 minute i erred. I read passage and question stem in less than 190 sec but rereading choices took too much of time. There are two parts in a CR question that i generally get wrong with, either reading/understanding passage improperly or lost in choices. For example in this one it was more of the latter that i took B as frivolous one and focussed myself on a wrong answer choice. May be i got lost in my own frivolity. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 578
Send PM
First, after reading the question stem, I would realize that the question was basically asking me to find something to add to the argument to justify the conclusion - that is, possibly to fill a logical gap and/or sure up the reasoning in another way. I would go through the answers working by process of elimination, and the first pass through probably would look something like:

(A) - Definitely wrong - "psychological state" is out of scope unless we assume that psychological state is related to motive - but test takers should not make assumptions, so it's out!

(B) - This looks pretty good - it seems to get at what the author was saying about punishing criminals even if they had in mind a greater good. Keep it for now.

(C) - Doesn't look so good - "legal permissibility" isn't necessarily the same thing as or even directly related to punishment. However, it does talk about what is perceivable, which goes to the issue of motive, so we can leave it for now.

(D) - This has really extreme wording - which might not be a problem since there is some extreme reasoning in the argument...but I think that whether a law can be enforced is out of the scope of this argument.

(E) - This also seems to be out of scope - we did not read anything about "disastrous consequences."

At this point, if I look at (B) and (C), I think that (B) is the better answer. I still think that "legal permissibility" creates a scope problem in (C) whereas (B) seems to get at the main crux of the reasoning above, which is why we should risk overpunishing criminals who really had a good motive.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts