Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 19:06 It is currently 11 May 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, weā€™ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5254 [326]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [247]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622972 [107]
Given Kudos: 81833
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622972 [33]
Send PM
Re: The figure shows the graph of y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 in the xy [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Bunuel for the reply.
Frankly speaking, I don't have much idea about how quadratic behaves graphically. Can you suggest something to build my knowledge on this topic.

Thanks
Himanshu

Consider this: each y of \(y=(x + 1)(x - 1)^2 + 2\) is two greater than corresponding y of \(y=(x + 1)(x - 1)^2\). The value of y defines vertical position of a point. Thus \(y=(x + 1)(x - 1)^2 + 2\) is simply shifted 2 units up compared to \(y=(x + 1)(x - 1)^2\).

Next, notice that \(y=(x + 1)(x - 1)^2=x^3 - x^2 - x + 1\), thus it' not a quadratic function, its cubic.

As for quadratic functions, check the last chapter here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope this helps.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5254 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Bunuel for the reply.
Frankly speaking, I don't have much idea about how quadratic behaves graphically. Can you suggest something to build my knowledge on this topic.

Thanks
Himanshu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks for the solution Bunuel.
However,when we equate (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 +2=0 for x intercept, it does not give any value for x.Any inputs on this please?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622972 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankushbassi wrote:
Thanks for the solution Bunuel.
However,when we equate (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 +2=0 for x intercept, it does not give any value for x.Any inputs on this please?

Actually there is: \(x=\frac{1}{3}(1-\frac{4}{\sqrt[3]{35-3\sqrt{129}}}-\sqrt[3]{35-3\sqrt{129}})\approx{-1.36}\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [7]
Given Kudos: 485
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
imhimanshu wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
The figure shows the graph of y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 in the xy-plane. At how many points does the graph of y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 + 2 intercept the x-axis?

A. None
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Four

I solved it this way :

First observation : Both the equations look similar it's just the y intercept that is changing. Therefore the graph would remain same but will shift up or down given the sign of the intercept (here it is +2).

Put the value of x=0 in the first equation you get y=1
Now put the value of x=0 in the second equation you get y=2

Hence the graph is moving one unit above its actual place in the Y axis. Visibly you can notice it will no longer touch the X axis twice but only once.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Though I agree with solution, but for the concept sake, is it not possible for graph to move up at y=3 and still touch the x axis at sm other point apart from x= -1 ?

2. why it even touches x= -1 when x=-1 doesnt satisfy the equation ?

Please guide.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622972 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prashantmanit wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Though I agree with solution, but for the concept sake, is it not possible for graph to move up at y=3 and still touch the x axis at sm other point apart from x= -1 ?

2. why it even touches x= -1 when x=-1 doesnt satisfy the equation ?

Please guide.

1. No. When you shift blue graph 2 units up it does not change the shape, it simply moves up.

2. Blue (original) graph intersect x-axis at two points: at x= -1 and x = 1. x-intercept(s) of a graph is the value(s) of x when y = 0, so x-intercepts of y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 are values of x such that (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 = 0, so x = -1 or x = 1.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16673 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
The figure shows the graph of y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 in the xy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In PS, IVY approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer.

The figure shows the graph of y=(x+1)(x-1)^2 in the xy-plane. At how many points does the graph of y=(x+1)(x-1)^2 +2 intercept the x-axis?
a) none
b) one
c) two
d) three
e) four

The Problem actually asks the number of intercepts not the exact intercepting point. So let's consider (x+1)(x-1)^2 +2=0 and change the equation into (x+1)(x-1)^2 =-2. Then the problem is changed to find the number of intercepts between y=(x+1)(x-1)^2 and y=-2. Looking graph you would easily find that y=(x+1)(x-1)^2 intercepts y=-2(which is the line parallel to the x-axis passing (0,-2)) only once. So the answer is B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Bunuel / chetan2u,

I am not able to understand, how can you say that the graph move up 2 units up. I can see that in second equation there is "+2" but still how could you say.

If the equation would have been y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 - 2. Then will the graph will move 2 stps down..??

If the equation would have been x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 and some graph was given and we need to find the intercept of equation x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 + 2 or x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 -2. Then how will the graph move.

I have gone through the link math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html but it does not provide anything related to the movement of graph. Can you please provide basic understanding on the movement of graph so that if I come across any weired equation in exam I can make a rough idea of it.

I can't take this question lightly because its an official GMAT Prep question.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards.
Prakhar
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32438 [7]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Bunuel / chetan2u,

I am not able to understand, how can you say that the graph move up 2 units up. I can see that in second equation there is "+2" but still how could you say.

If the equation would have been y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 - 2. Then will the graph will move 2 stps down..??

If the equation would have been x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 and some graph was given and we need to find the intercept of equation x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 + 2 or x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 -2. Then how will the graph move.

I have gone through the link math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html but it does not provide anything related to the movement of graph. Can you please provide basic understanding on the movement of graph so that if I come across any weired equation in exam I can make a rough idea of it.

I can't take this question lightly because its an official GMAT Prep question.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards.
Prakhar

Hi,

let \(y = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2\)...
and \(y_1 = (x + 1)(x - 1)^2 +2 = y+2\)......

so when \(x= 0... y = (0+1)(0-1)^2 = 1\) and \(y_1 = (0+1)(0-1)^2 + 2 = 1+2 = 3\)
when \(x=1... y = (1+1)(1-1)^2 = 0\)and \(y_1=0+2 = 2\)..

so for earlier existing values of y, \(y_1\) is 2 more so the values of y has shifted two points up in new graph although the graph remains the same..

Quote:

YES

\(x = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2\)and \(x_1 = (y + 1)(y - 1)^2 + 2\).... the graph will move two steps right

DRAW the graph for all four and you will strengthen the concept on this

Hope it is clear
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [4]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos