Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 1Y vs UCLA ($$) [#permalink]
I think you are better off at a school where you are excited to walk in the door everyday. It doesn't sound like UCLA meets your needs. I would pick Kellogg if I were you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Seems like you already have chosen the Kellogg 1 yr program. Having a master's already, I think it would be easier to explain to recruiters why you would go for the 1yr program rather than 2yr.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kellogg 1Y vs UCLA ($$) [#permalink]
Mimster
Makes sense. I have already started to get in touch with officials at Kellogg and I'm blown away by how much they care and are willing to help. I agree on the cohort part as well. Honestly, that's one of my biggest draw towards Kellogg. I could honestly relate to people from only two schools out of 11 that I applied to, Kellogg and INSEAD...

alphabeta4
Exactly. My chemistry professor told me this when I was preparing for my undergrad college. I think it's a big motivator.

Thanks again for all the views.
Still awaiting response from my beloved bb, MBACrystalBall and other experts :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Rohit, I don't know if you're doing this already but I'd reach out to current international students who are in Kellogg's 1 year program. Since a big consideration for the 1 year program is job placement (and more so if you're international), I'd try to see how current international students feel
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Hi Rohti,

Finally, you will reach a decision after this long journey and discussions. It is great that you have narrowed down your choices to 2 schools. It is evident that you love Kellogg. Sometimes, you need to follow heart as well as mind. You are doing only mba in your life. In light of your goals and experience, I will choose Kellogg. Here is my 2 cents. Here is my rational behind the choice:

Kellogg’s Quality & your goal: You are production and project Engineer who possess high education and knowledge and you want to enhance your career with management skills. Kellogg’s high verities of strategy electives will give you exposure the mindset of strategist. It is among best schools in strategy courses. Furthermore, the operation specialty is recognized. As Lean Enterprise expert who is trained in the US & Japan, I touched the academic society too. You will be taught by best minds. Prof Chopra is well-known professor in supply chain across the US. His textbooks are mandatory in different masters programs. The operations lab will be of a great support. This class is taught by Prof Allon & Van Mieghem with their solid framework. I love their works among other profs across the schools. On the contrary, UCLA is to known to teach operations or highly strategy electives as Kellogg. You can easily check the course catalog in both schools.

Job opportunities: operation is not the usual competition among top 10, when it comes to work in operations/supply chain field within manufacturing facilities. You might find it among 20 such as Kelley and surely it gets high when going lower in ranks. So it is highly likely that will find job in good places as grad from big schools. When it comes to operation consulting, you have high level of competition when it comes to big firms. Typically, the best is BCG and Deloitte as they have section for highly specialized profiles. There are some small consulting companies, some of them welcome internationals but some not. Kellogg’s location is in the Midwest where it is access to many manufacturing facilities or you can expand your search to some known manufacturing states in East coast such as North and South Carolina. By reviewing its career report, it is not clear from Kellogg’s employment report how many 1Y mba international grads were recruited. Compered to Emory’s 1Y –report, you get the sense of all stats you want related to 1Y-mba. Compared to Emory, I do not think that Kellogg is less, given that number grads of Kellogg is greater than that of Emory. Kellogg is doing great with job offers received after 3 months (96.4%). Last year, I was in contact with 2-3 students in Emory’s 1Y program and they feel intense during their job search because the program itself is so intense and rapid. Although they are American students, they told me that their international peers had more pressure but most of them managed to secure jobs. So no one can deny the pressure and I hope you take a breath and strategize your search. If not secured job in US (for any reasons including change in visa regulation), there is still the name of Kellogg in the consulting field in MBB and other companies around the world. I think you still apply Germany where German is not mandatory in that higher level. If you still work as engineer, German is the language. From my friends who live and work, they told me that German value management degree from USA schools.
Another example is one of my friends who got an interview with Mckinsey in Dubai, although he got his MBA from too lower ranked school with moderate experience compared to you. (Actually I was surprised to be picked in screening phase!!!). I think you can do the same in any MBB and second tier offices in UAE. Therefore, I can see that Kellogg’s MBA will back up as it is powerhouse for consulting.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Morgan15
Yup, I'm doing that already. Also got in touch with officials at Kellogg to get a clear idea of the situation and help me connect with some current students as well.

Mo2men
I see you have good info and experience on this topic. I have sent you a PM. Will be glad if we could talk sometime :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts