Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink]
mysamgmatclub wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
Nice man, haha. Now I get to be the one to say... IN FOR [strike]ROUND 1[/strike]... WAITLIST! :roll:

What do you think our chances are here?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. I read it can range a lot. Some years it's been 0, others up to 25 (admitted from the waitlist).
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Hi there,

I am also waitlisted. EXTREMELY dissapointed. :(

From what I have read (forums and chat transcripts), let's face it, our chances are close to zero.

On the other hand, if you go and pass GMAT for 800, or start a successfull international company till May, your chances are quite high, I think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia (accepted), Sloan (waitlisted), Yale (R2, interview), Booth (R2, interview), Kellogg (R2)
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: 2 years public accounting/consulting
WE 2: 2 years nonprofit
Send PM
Perhaps each of us (or all of us together) can find a way to get famous. Star power ftw.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: US Army Vet
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Waitlisted too -- 2 years in a row! Ouch.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SloanHopeful wrote:

Ouch! Did you wait it out last year? How did it go? Did you hear of people getting accepted...etc
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: US Army Vet
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mysamgmatclub wrote:
SloanHopeful wrote:

Ouch! Did you wait it out last year? How did it go? Did you hear of people getting accepted...etc

Yep, I waited it out until September. Clearly it didn't go exceedingly well. I'm going to wait it again this year. Perseverance!

I know a few people got off the waitlist last year, but I can't say how many for sure. Perhaps during tomorrow's waitlist chat we'll get some more insight. Sloan's waitlist has no ranking system. They build a class and if someone with a specific profile (i.e. international female applicant, military applicant, etc) drops out, then they'll try to fill that slot with someone of a similar profile.

There's no use trying to game the system for historical data because the number of applicants admitted off the waitlist fluctuates every year. Best plan of attack is to occasionally submit an update via email (but not too often and only if you have something substantive to add) and to add another letter of recommendation or a letter of support from a current student (but only if they can write about you in depth).

In short, uncertainty is the key word here. 8-)

Now for some dark humor: Today I was still pretty bummed and couldn't study so I went to the gym to workout to burn off some of the disappointment. On the way back, I hopped on the subway and set next to a couple who were reading their "Welcome to Sloan" booklets. They were so excited. It was almost comical. What are the odds?!?!

I feel your disappointment all. Hang in there, keep your chins up, and press on!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SloanHopeful wrote:
mysamgmatclub wrote:
SloanHopeful wrote:

Yep, I waited it out until September. Clearly it didn't go exceedingly well. I'm going to wait it again this year. Perseverance!

I know a few people got off the waitlist last year, but I can't say how many for sure. Perhaps during tomorrow's waitlist chat we'll get some more insight. Sloan's waitlist has no ranking system. They build a class and if someone with a specific profile (i.e. international female applicant, military applicant, etc) drops out, then they'll try to fill that slot with someone of a similar profile.

There's no use trying to game the system for historical data because the number of applicants admitted off the waitlist fluctuates every year. Best plan of attack is to occasionally submit an update via email (but not too often and only if you have something substantive to add) and to add another letter of recommendation or a letter of support from a current student (but only if they can write about you in depth).

In short, uncertainty is the key word here. 8-)

Now for some dark humor: Today I was still pretty bummed and couldn't study so I went to the gym to workout to burn off some of the disappointment. On the way back, I hopped on the subway and set next to a couple who were reading their "Welcome to Sloan" booklets. They were so excited. It was almost comical. What are the odds?!?!

I feel your disappointment all. Hang in there, keep your chins up, and press on!

Thanks SloanHopeful, g'luck to you too. Its a good thing that you can burn some disappointment in the gym, for me junk food has been my comfort since yesterday lol.
Current Student
Send PM
SloanHopeful, +1 thanks for the insight man. I'm really rooting for you now.

Looking forward to seeing how many people will join the chat tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
WL as well. Please add me to the roll call.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Stanford (r2), Tuck (r2), Kellogg (r2), Yale (r2)
 Q41  V45
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Investment Bank-1 year
WE 2: Policy research - 2 years
Send PM
Waitlisted as well. I'm based in India and had a phone interview on the day of the deadline - 10AM Est on 31st. Got waitlisted later that day. Please add me to the roll call
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Roll call updated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
FYI - For anyone who might've missed it... I've posted a transcript of this morning's waitlist chat on mysam's OP above (hope you don't mind). There were around 45 applicants who joined the chat, and Jen Barba has stated that the WL has around 100 R1 candidates.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RogerDodger wrote:
FYI - For anyone who might've missed it... I've posted a transcript of this morning's waitlist chat on mysam's OP above (hope you don't mind). There were around 45 applicants who joined the chat, and Jen Barba has stated that the WL has around 100 R1 candidates.

Thanks for capturing it RodgerDodger. I was there too. It looks like its going to be a loooong wait and a 10-20% chance of getting in at best. Would you agree?
Current Student
Send PM
mysamgmatclub wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
FYI - For anyone who might've missed it... I've posted a transcript of this morning's waitlist chat on mysam's OP above (hope you don't mind). There were around 45 applicants who joined the chat, and Jen Baraba has stated that the WL has around 100 R1 candidates.

Thanks for capturing it RodgerDodger. I was there too. It looks like its going to be a loooong wait and a 10-20% chance of getting in at best. Would you agree?

Yeah - a long wait indeed. I don't know about chances... I wouldn't venture a guess since it varies so much year over year... And ultimately, it all boils down to who's turning down their offers of admission to matriculate elsewhere, and whether that guy/girl has a profile similar to yours. Best thing we can do is submit a letter of intent, hopefully include additional information that builds a better case... and pray to the bschool gods :wink:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thank you for capturing the chat transcript.. this is really really helpful.
BTW could you add me to the roll call?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Sloan(WL), Johnson(Int-Waiting)
Send PM
Waitlisted as well, please add me to the roll call. ugh...
Current Student
Send PM
Bump.

Sent a "letter of intent" email to the waitlist manager today.

And the wait continues...

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts