Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Practice Test Improvement [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi snesne22,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and that you took each of these CATs in a realistic fashion - your 5 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 560 +/- a few points). To raise these scores to a consistent 650+, you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and that training will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study. With your current Test Date, you have about 5 weeks of study time though, so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Earlier this week, GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (beginning April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you’ll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher. Unfortunately, practice CATs in the new 'format' don't exist yet - but once they become available, you should plan to take one (so that we can get a better sense of how you perform under these new conditions).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

---

1. I've used eGMAT, OG books and GMAT clubs practice tests.
2. Fall of 2020
3. CMU, Michigan State, Rice & USC
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
snesne22 wrote:
Hello,

I've been studying for the GMAT since January. I've take 5 practice tests over the last 5 weeks and got the following scores:
Practice 1 - 540 Q 38 V 27
Practice 2 - 560 Q 38 V 30
Practice 3 - 590 Q 38 V 33
Practice 4 - 580 Q 40 V 30
Practice 5 - 530 Q 35 V 29

I'm taking the GMAT on May 12th and I am wondering if anyone had any tips on what my strategy should be from here on out if i want reach my target score of 650.

Thanks!

You should go for GMATprep test at first to know your current level. They are best indicators of your performance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi snesne22,

Based on the information you've provided, I have a few follow-up questions:

1) What type of study routine have you been following since January? How many hours have you consistently studied each week?
2) What 'brand' of practice CAT Tests have you been taking?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
i think this is a good results, you should be use a materials
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi snesne22,

Based on the information you've provided, I have a few follow-up questions:

1) What type of study routine have you been following since January? How many hours have you consistently studied each week?
2) What 'brand' of practice CAT Tests have you been taking? - veritas prep
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
Rich

Hi Rich,

1) -2 hours/ day during the week and 3-4 hours on the weekends. I do admit I started to rigorously follow the study plan from end of february.
2) I've been using Vertias Prep
3) 3-4 hours/day during the week and 5 hours on the weekend.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi snesne22,

Since you have plenty of time before you plan to apply to Business School, you shouldn't try to 'cram' your studies during the next month just to try to make a May 12th Test Date. If all of your CATs have come from one 3rd-party provider, then we really need to see how well you score on one of the Official CATs. By extension, it would make far more sense for you to take one of the new, 'shorter' GMAC CATs once they become available - since you'll be taking the shorter Official GMAT in the future. With your Score Goal, you'll likely need to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and all of that training will take time.

At this point, you could continue to study as you have been and then take a new CAT when one becomes available or you can begin the next phase of your studies with some new practice materials (and a focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics). If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot